PDA

View Full Version : Question about Arcane Disciple?

Jynkoslayer527
2014-06-06, 12:25 AM
So I'm a Duskblade, it is to my understanding that they can only cast up to 5th lv spells meaning 6th and above are basically off limits without the use of another class. Now my question is, what about Arcane Disciple?
Benefit
Add the chosen domain's spells to your class list of arcane spells. If you have arcane spellcasting ability from more than one class, you must pick which arcane spellcasting ability this feat applies to. Once chosen, this decision cannot be changed for that feat. You may learn these spells as normal for your class; however, you use Wisdom (rather than the normal ability for your spellcasting) when determining the save DC for the spell. In addition, you must have a Wisdom score equal to 10 + the spell's level in order to prepare or cast a spell gained from this feat. Each day, you may prepare (or cast, if you cast spells without preparation) a maximum of one of these domains spells of each level.

When I read that, I see the part about " In addition, you must have a Wisdom score equal to 10 + the spell's level in order to prepare or cast a spell gained from this feat. Each day, you may prepare (or cast, if you cast spells without preparation) a maximum of one of these domains spells of each level." meaning that if my Wisdom score is of 19, that means 10+9th level spell=19 and I see that as I'm capable of casting ONE 6th,7th,8th, and 9th level spell from the selected domain even though the Duskblade is only capable of 5th level spells. I was wondering if I was correct, or if a Duskblade could ONLY get to 5th level spells out of the Domain they've chosen?, If so then I believe Duskblade is a rather versatile and rather powerful class, I really like it as is but this would be amazing even though it'd take up practically all my feats till 18th level.

Techwarrior
2014-06-06, 12:30 AM
They are only naturally able to get up to 5th level spell slots. There are tricks that can get you higher level spells (Versatile Spellcaster will let you cast the 6th level Domain spell), but you normally do not get spell slots, even bonus ones from ability scores, if you cannot access that level of spell in-class.

Ability Scores and Spellcasters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilitiesAndSpellcasters)
In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level.

Jynkoslayer527
2014-06-06, 12:35 AM
They are only naturally able to get up to 5th level spell slots. There are tricks that can get you higher level spells (Versatile Spellcaster will let you cast the 6th level Domain spell), but you normally do not get spell slots, even bonus ones from ability scores, if you cannot access that level of spell in-class.

Yes, but I was wondering with how it says its attributed to my Wisdom Modifier instead, and saying each spell of each level known can only be cast once, so I was guessing it wouldn't technically be a spell slot, it would, but be considered 1time/day spell for each level regardless of your original spell levels?

Techwarrior
2014-06-06, 12:53 AM
Nope. That limit merely applies to the spell. It doesn't grant slots to cast those spells with. You have to cast it out of your normal spell slots, and are limited to casting each spell on the Domain list 1/day.

Pluto!
2014-06-06, 12:56 AM
It gives you zero new spell slots and zero new spells known.

It gives you the OPTION of learning 5 new spells from the selected domain (using one of your normal spells known from leveling up to actually learn the spell); these spells, should you choose to learn them, can then only be cast if you have a high enough Wisdom; and even after you go through those hoops, you cast each of the spells using your normal class-based spells per day, but can only cast each one once, regardless of how many spells of a level you can otherwise cast.

Basically, if you pick the weakest possible interpretation in every clause of the feat, you're probably reading it correctly.

Personally, I think the feat is pretty overrated. It's almost never something I want to put on a character - especially a Duskblade, with few spells known and only 5 levels of spells.

nedz
2014-06-06, 03:45 AM
The feat is excellent for fixed list casters, useful for Wizards but less useful for classes who must choose their spells known.
Whilst you could use Versatile Caster to get high level spell slots; how are you getting the higher level spells known ?