PDA

View Full Version : A really obscure cage

rg9000
2014-06-06, 01:01 AM
A character with low intelligence asks a wizard to make him a cage out of Obscure Object for 1000 gp. What would it do, why would he want it, and would it be solid?

HunterOfJello
2014-06-06, 01:18 AM
1000gp is kinda cheap.

Iron box reinforced by spells to raise the hardness that is covered on the inside with explosive runes. Anyone who knows how to read can't risk opening their eyes while inside due to the risk of blowing themselves up.

aleucard
2014-06-06, 01:20 AM
Divination Spells don't see the cage for 8 hours from casting. That's pretty much it.

As for WHY, the only 2 things that I can think of is faking out the inmate's buddies as to how much time it'll take to retrieve said person and making them think their buddy is just sitting around for no good reason (though why you'd want THAT is beyond me).

Really, the dude has much better things to spend their 1k on.

EDIT: From reading the thing posted by the guy who swordsage'd me while I wasn't looking, another idea would be to stick traps and whatnot onto the cage in such a way that said traps are considered part of it. Explosive Runes on the OUTside would probably work if the dude in the cage being dead is better than him escaping, and you (the cage user) don't want him to be able to suicide his way out that easily. Just tell any of your people that are authorized to even be in the room that they are not to look at the cage any way they can (blindfold plus blindsight or equivalent, maybe hang one of those blindfolds that gives the wearer blindsight in a hidden spot for allies).

rg9000
2014-07-03, 07:41 PM
I didn't mean enchanted with it, I meant that the cage itself is made out of the essence of the spell.

Zaq
2014-07-03, 11:07 PM
I didn't mean enchanted with it, I meant that the cage itself is made out of the essence of the spell.

And what does that mean, exactly? That's reaching pretty far out of RAW, so you're going to have to tell us what the hell that means if we're to have any chance of discussing it intelligently.

Slipperychicken
2014-07-04, 12:30 AM

Are you talking about a permanent Forcecage? That would cost a bit more than 1000gp.

rg9000
2014-07-05, 02:06 AM
And what does that mean, exactly? That's reaching pretty far out of RAW, so you're going to have to tell us what the hell that means if we're to have any chance of discussing it intelligently.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea. Just say that it is an AoE effect spell made permanent in the shape of a cage.
The player was trying to ask a wizard to make a forcecage, but he messed up.

Vogonjeltz
2014-07-05, 09:09 AM
To tell you the truth, I have no idea. Just say that it is an AoE effect spell made permanent in the shape of a cage.
The player was trying to ask a wizard to make a forcecage, but he messed up.

Then the wizard should explain what is possible.

Slipperychicken
2014-07-05, 06:53 PM
Then the wizard should explain what is possible.

Or at the very least try to guess what his client wants.