PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Weapon Finesse & Touch Spells

weckar
2014-06-06, 02:36 AM
For purposes of Weapon Finesse, are touch spells light weapons? I would initially say no, except natural weapons are classified as light weapons, which makes me doubt. Is this in any book?

aleucard
2014-06-06, 02:44 AM
I'd say yes. Logically, Touch Attack weapons like spells have even more right to being called a Finesse Weapon than natural weapons do. Strength doesn't do jack s@#$ in those cases, you just have to be able to make contact.

avr
2014-06-06, 04:02 AM
An unarmed strike is a light weapon. A touch attack spell can be delivered via an unarmed strike, though it targets normal AC if so.

There's no explicit rule whuch says spells using a touch attack can use Weapon Finesse as far as I know but it seems a reasonable interpretation.

aleucard
2014-06-06, 04:08 AM
The only reason that I wouldn't rule ANY Melee Touch Attack as auto-Finesse'd at the user's discretion is that casters get enough nice things already and ToB doesn't need any more help, at least of this variety.

weckar
2014-06-06, 04:31 AM
The only reason that I wouldn't rule ANY Melee Touch Attack as auto-Finesse'd at the user's discretion is that casters get enough nice things already and ToB doesn't need any more help, at least of this variety.ToB? That's a Pathfinder thing now?

Thanks for the replies thus far. Would like more voices on the matter, though.

Darrin
2014-06-06, 11:18 AM
For purposes of Weapon Finesse, are touch spells light weapons? I would initially say no, except natural weapons are classified as light weapons, which makes me doubt. Is this in any book?

Yes, this is addressed in Complete Arcane (page 73) and the Rules Compendium (page 132):

"Weapon Finesse: You can treat touch spells as light weapons and use your Dexterity modifier (instead of your Strength modifier) on your touch attack rolls with such spells."

Gildedragon
2014-06-06, 12:00 PM
Yes, this is addressed in Complete Arcane (page 73) and the Rules Compendium (page 132):

"Weapon Finesse: You can treat touch spells as light weapons and use your Dexterity modifier (instead of your Strength modifier) on your touch attack rolls with such spells."
Wrong system. But good precedent nonetheless

Yanisa
2014-06-06, 12:21 PM
The pathfinder answer is sadly lacking, but there are two main reasons a lot of people say yes.

Touch Attack are armed attacks and Natural Weapons and Unarmed Strike benefit from Weapon Finesse (Also combat Maneuvers)

Also the 3.5 ruling is yes, and even some creatures, like will-o'-wisp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/will-o--wisp) here, use Weapon Finesse on touch attacks.