PDA

View Full Version : Dark or Night themed spells?

DarkSonic1337
2014-06-06, 03:51 AM
So I'm playing a Wizard6/swiftblade3/spelldancer1 and part of my backstory is that I'm a container for this shadow snake thing (or rather 1 head of an 8 headed snake thing. Cookies to whoever gets the refference).

So I want a list of dark/shadow/night themed spells to cast. I don't want to invest a bunch of feats into it (but I am gonna get a continuous collar of umbral metamorphosis and fluff it as my dark powers becoming stronger eventually), but frequently casting "dark" spells could be fun (especially since in this campaign there's actually only one master of dark magic. I want to hook myself into that aspect of the campaign setting a bit and see what happens).

So far I've got

lvl 1's: Nightshield
lvl 2's: Dark Way, Shadow Double, Shadow Spray?, Darkness (duh), Veil of Shadow
lvl 3's: Legion of Sentinels, Shadow Binding, Blacklight, Spectral Weapon?
lvl 4's: Shadow Conjuration
lvl 5's: Shadow Evocation, Shadow Guardians, Shadow Form?
lvl 6's: ?????
lvl 7's: Greater Shadow Conjuration, Sword of Darkness
lvl 8's: Greater Shadow Evocation
lvl 9's: Shades

Help me expand this list with more cool dark themed spells (preferably those on the Wiz/Sorc list)

Raezeman
2014-06-06, 05:00 AM
can't really add any from the top of my head, but i think that the illusion school has the most of what you seem to want. You can search on d&d tools for spells from the sorcerer/wizard list for that school, for each level, making the search go much more efficient.

weckar
2014-06-06, 05:08 AM
You got Darkness?
I trump thee with Deeper Darkness (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Deeper_Darkness)!

Diovid
2014-06-06, 05:10 AM
After a quick search I found these (basically I just searched for wizard spells with either the Darkness descriptor or from the Shadow subschool):

Bleakness (PHB II)
Control Darkness and Shadow (CoR)
Claws of Darkness (SC)
Damning Darkness (LoM)
Darkbolt (LoM)
Distracting Shadows (MoE)
Early Twilight (HoB)
Net of Shadows (SC)
Pall of Twilight (CM)
Shadowfade (SC)
Shadow Hand (SC)
Shadow Mask (SC)
Shadow Shroud (DotU)
Shadow Tentacle, Greater (LoM)
Shadow Tentacle, Lesser (LoM)
Shadow Trap (CoR)
Shadow Walk (PHB)
Shadow Well (SC)
Shadowy Grappler (SC)
Wall of Gloom (SC)

Edit:

An effect of my method of searching is that probably many spells are missed. For instance, there is the Utterdark spell from Lords of Madness which you would expect to have the Darkness descriptor but which weirdly doesn't.

Dread_Head
2014-06-06, 05:58 AM
The Ebon Eyes (SC) spell for seeing in (magical) darkness.
Or some other way of seeing in magical darkness such as the feat Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment (Baator Domain)) or I think some Prestige Classes grant it.

Blackhawk748
2014-06-06, 07:50 AM
Grab the feat Spell Thematics, now you can have a 'dark' magic missile cast a +1 CL, and you get that for one spell per spell level.

Gildedragon
2014-06-06, 10:19 AM
The Light of X line of spells fits thematically: it is the lights of stars

There are a couple moon-something spells floating around