PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Non enchantment bonus to ability scores from spells

Xathrax
2014-06-06, 06:48 AM
Hello everyone,

I have the Ability Enchancer feat from Dragon Compendium which gives me:

Any transmutation spell you cast that enhances ability scores increases the ability scores by +2 more than it normally does. For example, casting bull's strength with this feat grants the subject a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength, instead of the usual +4 enhancement bonus.

I was using several buffs that add to ability scores when I noticed Holy Transformation giving a Sacred bonus so instead of +2 I get get a total of +4(2 more from both Holy Transformation and from any other buff giving an enchancement bonus).

After this I started searching, but couldn't find any more divine spells that grant non enchancement bonuses.

Can anyone thing of any?

Dread_Head
2014-06-06, 08:05 AM
Righteous Might gives Size bonuses to Str & Con.
Greater Visage of the Deity(SC) gives untyped bonuses to most stats.
Grace(SC) gives a Sacred bonus to Dex.
Elation (BoED) gives Morale bonuses to Str & Dex (and applies to allies).

sleepyphoenixx
2014-06-06, 08:15 AM
Snowsong (FB) gives +4 morale to Cha
Inner Beauty (FC1) gives +4 sacred to Dex and Cha
Owl's Insight gives +1/2CL insight to Wis

Xathrax
2014-06-06, 08:32 AM
Awesome, some of these are really great. Especially Elation.

Now if I only could cast Owl's Insight as a Cleric...

Seclora
2014-06-06, 10:43 AM
Awesome, some of these are really great. Especially Elation.

Now if I only could cast Owl's Insight as a Cleric...

Oh, but you can! You just have to use Miracle to do it.

Or you could try to talk your DM into letting you research it as a Cleric spell, maybe even a Mass version. Our DM once let us use it on the whole party with a Miracle, did wonderful things to my Swordsage-Saint's AC.

Mato
2014-06-06, 12:05 PM
Hmm, a couple helpers off the top of my head. Some of them are temporary.

Base
18 starting
05 leveling
05 inherent
01 faustian pact
---Items
02 untyped, horseshoes of flame
01 untyped, worm of minauros
02 alchemical, luhix
02 untyped, arm of nyr
04 circumstance, clockwork armor
04 untyped, clawed arm, aboleth tentacle, or grappling tentacle (only when used)
---Spells
08 untyped, greater visage of the deity's +4 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
20 enhancement, bite of the werebear's +16 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
06 untyped, death kneel's +2 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
06 moral, valiant fury's +4 + ability enhancer's +2
32 size, giant's size
---Other
02 psionic meditation
=118 (+54) strength, excluding racial/template modifiers.
*Curse of the Brute can be used for more.

It's late, I don't have time for those one :p

Base
18 starting
05 leveling
05 inherent
01 faustian pact
---Items
02 untyped, horseshoes of flame
02 alchemical, luhix
04 untyped, silthilar tendons
02 untyped, arm of nyr
04 circumstance, clockwork armor
---Spells
08 untyped, greater visage of the deity's +4 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
14 enhancement, divine aglity's +10 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
08 sacred, inner beauty's +4 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
06 moral, aura of vitality's +4 + ability enhancer's +2
08 size, minute form's +8
---Other
02 psionic meditation
=90 (+40) dexterity, excluding racial/template modifiers.
*Curse of the Brute can be used for more.
Base
18 starting
05 leveling
05 inherent
02 age
01 faustian pact
---Items
10 untyped, horseshoes of flame
02 alchemical, luhix
---Spells
12 enhancement, necromantic empowerment's +8 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
---Other
02 psionic meditation
=66 (+28) intelligence, excluding racial/template modifiers.

Base
18 starting
05 leveling
05 inherent
02 age
01 faustian pact
---Items
02 alchemical, luhix
---Spells
12 enhancement, necromantic empowerment's +8 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
14 insight, cl20* owl's insight's +10 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
---Other
02 psionic meditation
=70 (+30) wisdom, excluding racial/template modifiers.
*Higher caster level gives higher insight bonuses.
Base
18 starting
05 leveling
05 inherent
02 age
01 faustian pact
---Items
06 untyped, horseshoes of flame
02 alchemical, luhix
---Spells
12 enhancement, nixie's grace's +8 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
08 sacred, righteous aura's +4 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2
08 profane, devil's ego's +4 + ability enhancer's +2 + fell energy's +2, type changes form undead to outsider.
06 moral, snowsong's +4 + ability enhancer's +2
---Other
04 charm domain
02 psionic meditation
=88 (+39) charisma, excluding racial/template modifiers.

Giant size by the way does not bestow a size bonus. It can probably be increased by ability enhancer as well. I'm away from my books to confirm.

Segev
2014-06-06, 02:47 PM
Horseshoes of Flame specify that they work on "an ordinary horse." I don't think even a paladin's (or blackguard's) special mount, druid's (or ranger's) animal companion, or the like could benefit from them. Certainly, a "hoofed" PC couldn't. Whether satyr or centaur or something else, they're not "an ordinary horse." Heck, an Awakened horse isn't "ordinary." Its type has even changed to "magical beast."

Zanos
2014-06-06, 02:52 PM
Horseshoes of Flame specify that they work on "an ordinary horse." I don't think even a paladin's (or blackguard's) special mount, druid's (or ranger's) animal companion, or the like could benefit from them. Certainly, a "hoofed" PC couldn't. Whether satyr or centaur or something else, they're not "an ordinary horse." Heck, an Awakened horse isn't "ordinary." Its type has even changed to "magical beast."
UMD to emulate requirements?

Segev
2014-06-06, 02:54 PM
UMD to emulate requirements?

...that might work.

This raises the question: could non-hoofed characters nail these to boots and use UMD similarly? Is this true for Horseshoes of Speed, of the Zephyr, etc?

Xathrax
2014-06-06, 04:06 PM
Wow! Those are some nifty examples. Too bad I'm restricted to up to 6th Circle spells and only from the Cleric list. Some of those are bonkers! Where is necromantic empowerment from?

Fell Energy Spell is really amusing and I'd love to use it. It would probably make the GM cry(I feed on his anguish). However at the moment I have the Saint template and I cannot think of any way to become undead without doing something evil. While the feat itself does not simply that it is evil I suspect that anything giving you the undead type will have the [Evil] descriptor.

bekeleven
2014-06-06, 04:14 PM
...that might work.

This raises the question: could non-hoofed characters nail these to boots and use UMD similarly? Is this true for Horseshoes of Speed, of the Zephyr, etc?

According to my (18 + 5 Level + 5 Inherent + 6 Enhancement + 6 Competence + 10 Horseshoes of Flame) = 50 Int Chameleon, UMD works.

Note that Artificers can make a wand of X give a bonus of a different type. It's very abusable, especially if you want to blow a bunch of cash in one fight.

Xathrax
2014-06-06, 11:52 PM
But then aren't you going into combat as a... horse? Since using the Horseshoe turns you into one.

Zanos
2014-06-07, 12:00 AM
But then aren't you going into combat as a... horse? Since using the Horseshoe turns you into one.
Nah, they turn you into a "creature resembling a nightmare." You just get really scary looking is all.

Xathrax
2014-06-07, 12:08 AM
Nah, they turn you into a "creature resembling a nightmare." You just get really scary looking is all.

I suppose that one is up for interpretation.

Any ideas how to be undead to get that juicy, juicy Fell Energy without casting an [Evil] descriptor spell or taking class level just for that? I currently have the deathless template from the Risen Martyr, but according to the description they are similar to undead, but not undead.

bekeleven
2014-06-07, 03:00 AM

I may have lied to my DM about my reasons for my +56 Disguise check.

Dread_Head
2014-06-07, 03:32 AM
I suppose that one is up for interpretation.

Any ideas how to be undead to get that juicy, juicy Fell Energy without casting an [Evil] descriptor spell or taking class level just for that? I currently have the deathless template from the Risen Martyr, but according to the description they are similar to undead, but not undead.

Ask your DM for a version that works with positive energy for Deathless?

Xathrax
2014-06-07, 03:33 AM
I may have lied to my DM about my reasons for my +56 Disguise check.

Haha! That's just silly :D I'd disguise my pet dog as a huge dragon and let it run around town.