PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can anything fly faster than the psionic Aegis class at level 20 doing the Iron Man?

Slithery D
2014-06-06, 09:36 AM
So I'm finally giving the Aegis class a serious look, and I'm kind of amazed the flight speed you can get on this thing. Iron Man indeed.

Assume base speed 30, 29 customization points (26 from level 20, +3 crystal spaulder). If you go all out on flight you spend 2 customization points for the ability at base speed, then you can add 27x20 enhancements to speed for a total speed of 570, 580 if you take the Astral Skin form for the free boost to base speed. You can boost that another 100 by spending 5 pp of augmentation at the cost of a standard action, lasts as long as your Intelligence modifier. Daaaamn.

I think I've seen a flight speed of maybe 400 somewhere in the Bestiary, but most high end flight speeds are in the 200-250 range. Um. Wow.

So what about attack powers? Drop 7 customization points for Ranged Attack (1), Empowered Blast (1), Energy Blast (2), Improved Energy Blast (3). Your slowest flight speed is now 430, and you can shoot a 30' range increment touch attack that does 5d6 energy damage (active energy type from your focus), that is PR:No(!!!), no save, can hit 3 enemies within 15' of each other, and can be enhanced by up to 20d6 by spending one power point per d6.

Choose sonic damage, almost nothing is going to resist, and unlike the manifester powers you don't suffer a -1 per die penalty. And it's basically a ray, so you should be able to apply ranged feats to boost it in all kinds of fun ways. Hey, see if your DM will give you some version of Flyby Attack for a strafing runs along your 430 move.

Edit: A DM could somewhat limit this by only allowing customizations to be spent on level allowed points, so your first 7 can't go toward flight, and some can't be used for the energy attacks.

Slithery D
2014-06-06, 04:46 PM
Here's another stupid Aegis trick to maximize your number of attacks. Pick Aberrant archetype, pick up these customizations: Extra Arms, Lesser (1cp); Extra Arms (2); Extra Arms, Greater (3); Tentacle x 4 (4).

For a total of 10 customization points you can have you main weapon iteratives, three more weapon attacks, and four natural attacks. Those four natural attacks have Grab at +6 bonus.

At level 8, the earliest you can do this, you'd only have one spare customization point, but nine(!) attacks. Take Multiattack and Multiweapon feats for monsters, if you're allowed. Once you hit Level 10, spend all of your free CP on Quickened Attacks for an additional main hand attack at BAB.

But wait, that's not all! If you really want to get stupid, use your UMD skill for a power stone containing Form of Doom power for another 4 tentacle attacks. Those won't have grab, but you can't have everything when you're making over a dozen attacks in a round.

stack
2014-06-07, 07:36 PM
Aberrants are stupidly good as a dip for anything that gets bonus damage. Try a two level dip on a brutal disruptor cryptic.

Slithery D
2014-06-08, 04:39 PM
As far as I can tell Aberrant is the only right optimization choice unless you really want ranged attacks or the power stone stuff.

Klarth
2014-06-08, 05:22 PM
A Half-elf Wildcaller Summoner gets something like 36 evolution points. A quadruped eidolon with everything in flight has 40ft base + 20ft*34 for 720 flight speed (good maneuverability). With a Run and while running, that's 400 mph, double that of a Peregrine Falcon in a dive.

Slithery D
2014-06-08, 05:59 PM
A half-elf using Aegis favored class bonuses could get another 5cp, for 34 total, 2 behind your eidolon. Two feats worth of extra customization points puts him equal, I guess.

Renen
2014-06-08, 07:11 PM
Though the summoner can also add extra feats and increase speed.
So, we can have the eidolon taking feats to increase it's speed, then the summoner taking feats to increase the evo points, thus increasing speed.

Gogo Eidolon mail delivery. Now delivers mail 10000 times faster than your average mail pigeon.

Slithery D
2014-06-09, 06:03 PM
Here's a non-cheesy Aegis build that I think is helpful and has good synergy between Aegis-only skills. I call it the Goal Tender.

Concept: Mix reach/AoO/Control abilities with ranged combat to give the enemy an incentive to attack greater than a normal controller if they won't rush in for the AoO massacre.

Archetype: Pick Crystal Warrior to have that Psicrystal who can shoot your ranged energy attack for you.

Customizations: Ranged Attack (archetype "free" at level 1), Energy Blast (archetype "free" at level 4), Empowered Blast (whenever you get to it), Extra Arms, Greater (and prereqs, level 8), Push (level 1), Retaliate (whenever), Improved Ranged Attack (level 5), Reach (level 7), Increased Size (level 9), Improved Energy Blast (level 12), Increased Size, Improved (level 15).

Recommended Feats: Combat Reflexes, Sidestep Charge, Psionic Meditation.

Basically you are able to simultaneously shoot ranged combat AND be prepared for a melee AoO if you're charged. Hold a reach weapon, use your standard action to fire your Ranged Attack (levels 1-7) that doesn't require hands. At level 8 you get full Extra Arms and you can use two of them to fire a bow, increasing your ranged firepower while your Psicrystal takes over shooting your Ranged Attack and your second pair of arms hold your reach weapon ready for AoOs.

Always use Push to get a free CMB check to knock them back out of your range and force another AoO if they want to try again. Did you fail and they charged you? Sidestep Charge will get you another AoO if they miss, Retaliate will get another AoO if they hit at the cost of a psionic focus; you have two at level 3 due to bonus Psicrystal Containment.

You start off with reach 10' levels 1-6 (weapon), gain reach 15' at level 7 (Reach customization), get reach 20' at level 9' (Increased Size customization), and top out at reach 25' at level 15 (Increased Size, Improved). It's a role you can do better than anyone else for longer (no pp cost like a Psiwar doing Expansion) and with more flexibility, yet it's not terribly overpowered. I like it.