PDA

View Full Version : How's this feat?

atemu1234
2014-06-06, 02:59 PM
I'm making a campaign setting, D20 with psionics instead of magic. This feat is for it; it's based off of the Redheaded feat from Ravenloft.

Psionic Prodigy (General)
Prerequisites: Cha 11+
Benefits: Select one 1st-level psionic power. You may manifest that power once per day as a psi-like ability. You manifest this as a Psion with a Manifester level equal to your hit dice.
Special: A character must select this feat at first level. Characters with this feat usually have an unusual appearance outside the racial norm, like platinum hair or catlike eyes. These normally provide no in-game effect.

What do you think?

necroon
2014-06-06, 03:06 PM
love it!
I'm a huge fan of that Ravenloft Feat and also Feat's that affect characters in a physical and therefore roleplaying way.

Only thing I can see as a change as allowing the character to swap it for Wild Talent (Or maybe a Metapsionic Feat if they have Wild Talent already) when they take a level of a psionic class: there may be a point where the extra PP is worth it for a higher level psionic character and that would help leverage some room to grow later.
Just an idea.

andreichekov
2014-06-06, 05:31 PM
The line "these normally provide no in game effect." is not necessary.
Once a day is good at first level, but very quickly becomes a bad feat.
Why Charisma? That means that the number of people who can actually
use this feat is very small.
You might consider increasing the number of times per day it can be used
as the character levels up, and maybe even make a feat chain so that
they can use higher level psionic abilities.

So:
Psionic Prodigy (General)
Prerequisites: Cha 11+
Benefits: Select one 1st-level psionic power. You may manifest that power once per day as a psi-like ability. At each level divisible by 3, you may manifest the power one additional time each day.
Special: A character must select this feat at first level. Characters with this feat usually have an unusual appearance outside the racial norm, like platinum hair or catlike eyes.

Andion Isurand
2014-06-06, 06:34 PM
Reminds me of the Hidden Talent feat, which is a first level only feat from the Expanded Psionics Handbook (pg 67).

Don't forget to include what manifester level you can use the power at, remembering that a psi-like ability works as if a number of power points equal to its manifester level, were used to manifest it.

lbuttitta
2017-06-14, 06:58 AM
This, mechanically, seems just like Hidden Talent, except with increased manifester level and less uses per day.
Also, does having this feat let you take psionic, metapsionic, or psionic item creation feats? It's unclear, because although the SRD says:

Psionic feats are available only to characters and creatures with the ability to manifest powers. (In other words, they either have a power point reserve or have psi-like abilities.)
it is unclear whether the feat actually grants the power as a psi-like ability.