PDA

View Full Version : Showing off my character build - I made a playable monk!

Rubberband_Man
2014-06-06, 05:02 PM
Hey ho everybody! I'm posting to show off a character I made for a friend's game. He's an unarmed strike user with a heavy emphasis on bull rushing and punching. The rules of the build were 4d6 drop in any order for ability scores with an ECL of 15 and normal starting wealth (200k gp).

So without further ado, may I present...

SHAKA ZULU OF THE FLYING FIST

Race: Straight human

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Speed: 30 ft (+30 from monk levels)

Scores (with items and leveling):
STR 21
DEX 14
CON 15
INT 13
WIS 26
CHA 10

Classes:
Monk 4 (wall walker variant, dungeonscape)
Fighter 6 (dungeon crasher variant, dungeonscape)
Monk of the Enabled Hand 5 (Dragon Compendium)

Note: In order to get Enabled hand at the right time, I took classes in the order of Monk 4/Fighter 2/Enabled Hand 5/Fighter 4. This may not be entirely necessary, but for starting at ECL 15 it works just fine.

Feats:
(Human feat): Combat Reflexes
Lv1: Combat Expertise
Lv3: Improved Disarm
Lv6: Improved Bull Rush
Lv9: Superior Unarmed Strike
Lv12: Snap Kick
Lv15: Freezing the Lifeblood

Class features:
Monk 1 –stunning fist, improved unarmed strike
Monk 2 – deflect arrows, evasion
Monk 3 – still mind, 10 ft speed bonus
Monk 4 – slow fall 20, ki strike(magic), unarmed dmg 1d8
Fighter 1 – bonus feat (power attack)
Fighter 2 - dungeon crashing 4d6
Enabled hand 1 – monk abilities, shim soo
Enabled hand 2 – ki strike (lawful)
Enabled hand 3 – kol soo
Enabled hand 4 – kong soo
Enabled hand 5 – Lung soo
Fighter 3 - :smallfrown:
Fighter 4 – bonus feat: (shock trooper)
Fighter 5 - :smallfrown:
Fighter 6 – dungeon crashing 8d6

Feats granted by items:
Improved natural attack (fanged ring)

Items:
Fanged ring
Monk's belt
Periapt of Wisdom +6
Gauntlets of Ogre Power +6
Ring of Mighty Wallop, Greater (+3)
Armbands of Might
Necklace of Natural Weapons +3
Winged Boots
Optional Items:
I had a ton of money leftover and very few body slots left, so I got some novel items to spice things up.
Immovable Rod
Rod of Wonder
Bag of Holding IV
3x Elixir of Flaming Fists
Sovereign Glue

Leftover: 36,000 gp

Unarmed Strike:
Many of the abilities and items in this build buff unarmed strike damage as follows
4 levels of monk: 1d8
5 levels of enabled hand: 1d10
monk's belt (+5 eff. lvls): 2d6
Superior unarmed strike (+4 eff. lvls): 2d8
Ring of mighty wallop, greater (+3 eff. sizes): 6d8
Fanged ring (+1 eff. size): 8d8
STR mod: +5 dmg
Necklace of Natural weapons: +3 dmg
Total Effective size for unarmed strike: Colossal
Total unarmed strike Damage: 8d8+8

Both kol soo and lung soo give +1 effective size categories when used, but because they do not affect damage they are not included in this section

Attack:
BAB: +12/+7/+2
Flurry: +12/+12/+7/+2 (flurry penalty disappears at lvl 9)
STR mod: +5
Necklace of natural weapons: +3
Snap kick: -2, +extra attack
End result: 1 Fullround attack = +18/+18/+18/+13/+8
Technically, the monk's belt says to treat unarmed damage as a higher level monk, but does not mention flurry. If you can convince your DM to include it you get one more attack at your highest BAB as a result of greater flurry, giving you 6 attacks per round. This is a bit vague so I left it out.

Stunning fist:
DC 10 + 1/2 lvl + WIS mod
monk 4 (4/day), enabled hand 5 (5/day), fighter 6 (1/day), monk's belt (1/day)
11/day, DC 25
Freezing the lifeblood: This CW feat allows you to forgo unarmed damage on a stunning fist attempt in favor of paralysis for 1d4+1 rounds in addition to the normal stun. Essentially, the worst outcome with this feat is that your opponent is immobile for 3 rounds, with a best case of 6 rounds.

Bull Rushing:
Improved bull rush: +4
Armbands of might: +2
Lung soo: +4, +1 size category
STR mod: +5
Total: +19 on bull rush attempts
Improved natural attack and ring of mighty wallop both increase effective size category for damage, but are nonspecific on other applications. If you got your DM to allow it you could go up by another +16 on rushes, but it is vaguely worded so they are left out.

Note:
I think Monk of the Enabled Hand is an oft-overlooked PrC that is absolutely fabulous for monks. The only level that is even remotely bad is lvl 2 where you get ki strike (lawful). Great saves, average BAB, and some kickass abilities. Surprised this one isnt more popular. Shim soo ("Mind over hand") gives you a 1+enabled hand lv/day touch attack with the unarmed strike, Kol soo ("Reverse hand") gives an immediate AoO against someone who just hit you (albeit at a -5), kong soo ("empty hand") gives +1 size for disarm attempts, and lung soo ("Dragon's tail slap") is absolutely awesome and is a key part of this build. So yea. Monk of the Enabled Hand: check it out.

The key abilities here are Lung Soo from Enabled Hand and the Dungeon crashing damage. Dungeon crasher gets rid of the level 2 and 6 fighter bonus feats and replaces them with damage for bull rushing opponents into walls and solid objects. The damage is 4d6 + 2*STR mod at lvl 2 and 8d6 + 3*STR mod at lvl 6. Also you get a neat little bonus to saves and AC against traps, and a +10 to bust down doors and objects. Lung soo, or "The Dragon's Tail Slap", is an ability that allows the character to make a special bull rush on a successful melee attack. 5 times a day, when the monk activates this ability, he makes a bull rush attempt with +1 size category and +4 untyped bonus from your training. If the bull rush is successful the opponent is pushed back a number of feet according to normal bull rush rules, only you do no have to go with him and he takes damage according to the number of feet he flies (5 ft=5 dmg, 10 ft = 10 dmg). The idea is that you punch your foe so hard that he flies backward. Combining these two abilities, Shaka can punch an enemy sending him flying into a wall, essentially dealing unarmed damage, lung soo damage, and dungeon crashing damage on one attack. If you were feeling particularly cheesy, and your DM ok'd it, you could make a strength check to see if you could punch them through multiple walls, dealing dungeon crashing damage for each one.

Theoretically, Shaka Zulu could use his stunning fist to Freeze the lifeblood of an opponent and render him immobile for 6 rounds. He could then use those six rounds to make 30 unarmed attacks, 6 of which can be touch attacks, and the final of which could send his foe hurtling through a wall or two, dealing dungeon crasher damage and lung soo distance damage. And all that is if your DM is a jerk and won't give you some of the other benefits I mentioned.

*drops mic and walks off stage

But seriously guys, what do you think? I like him a lot, both mechanically and in terms of fluff/flavor, but its entirely possible I missed a character breaking flaw so let me know how I did!

*EDIT*
Replaced amulet of mighty fists +3 with a necklace of natural weapons +3. Because it's so much cheaper I could put on another enhancement or two and give it flaming/frost/shock etc. but I'll just leave it as it is because I don't want to change all the numbers right now.

Kazudo
2014-06-06, 05:09 PM
What was that thing? The Amulet of Natural Attacks or something? Lets you enchant your natural attacks as you would a weapon.

Rubberband_Man
2014-06-06, 05:19 PM
What was that thing? The Amulet of Natural Attacks or something? Lets you enchant your natural attacks as you would a weapon.

Its called the necklace of natural weapons. That could be a good substitute for the amulet of mighty fists. Its cheaper and lets you put weapon enchantments on your fists. Entirely possible, but its priced based on how many natural weapons it applies to which might get confusing with a monk who can use punches, kicks, knees, and headbutts as unarmed strikes. Perhaps it'd be based on the number of attacks you make in a round? If someone clears that up for me and its cheaper than the amulet, I'll totally switch it.

RedMage125
2014-06-07, 02:12 AM
Its called the necklace of natural weapons. That could be a good substitute for the amulet of mighty fists. Its cheaper and lets you put weapon enchantments on your fists. Entirely possible, but its priced based on how many natural weapons it applies to which might get confusing with a monk who can use punches, kicks, knees, and headbutts as unarmed strikes. Perhaps it'd be based on the number of attacks you make in a round? If someone clears that up for me and its cheaper than the amulet, I'll totally switch it.

Except that regardless of how he uses it (headbutt, knees, elbows, hands, feet), a monk's Unarmed Strike is considered one "weapon". They even explicitly say that attacking with both hands does not constitute fighting with 2 weapons.

Red Fel
2014-06-07, 08:08 AM

There are three major differences between the AoMF and the NoNW. First is that the AoMF gives a blanket +X to all natural attacks, whereas the NoNW must be enhanced individually for each natural weapon. (If you only use unarmed strikes, that's a mark in favor of the NoNW.) Second is that the AoMF is basically one expense - purchase the thing and you're good to go - while the NoNW costs per enhancement. (That's a mark in favor of the AoMF.) Third, the AoMF can only give its +X bonus, and no others, while the NoNW can give any weapon enhancement you could put on it. Yes, you can have Flaming, Throwing, Returning fists. The NoNW can give you Rocket Punch. (That's a huge mark in favor of the NoNW.)

Basically, if you have three or fewer natural weapons, the NoNW is a better deal because of its versatility. And yes, as RedMage points out, all of those attacks are "unarmed strike," regardless of how you style them. They only become a different weapon when they're a distinct natural weapon, such as a claw or bite, or a manufactured weapon, such as a sword or spiked chain. As a Monk, you want an NoNW.

Rocket Punch.

Rubberband_Man
2014-06-07, 08:32 AM
There are three major differences between the AoMF and the NoNW. First is that the AoMF gives a blanket +X to all natural attacks, whereas the NoNW must be enhanced individually for each natural weapon. (If you only use unarmed strikes, that's a mark in favor of the NoNW.) Second is that the AoMF is basically one expense - purchase the thing and you're good to go - while the NoNW costs per enhancement. (That's a mark in favor of the AoMF.) Third, the AoMF can only give its +X bonus, and no others, while the NoNW can give any weapon enhancement you could put on it. Yes, you can have Flaming, Throwing, Returning fists. The NoNW can give you Rocket Punch. (That's a huge mark in favor of the NoNW.)

Basically, if you have three or fewer natural weapons, the NoNW is a better deal because of its versatility. And yes, as RedMage points out, all of those attacks are "unarmed strike," regardless of how you style them. They only become a different weapon when they're a distinct natural weapon, such as a claw or bite, or a manufactured weapon, such as a sword or spiked chain. As a Monk, you want an NoNW.

Rocket Punch.
Fixed.
Also, I didnt think "Shaka Zulu of the Flying Fists" could be so appropriate.

Theoretically, could I make a bull rush attempt with thrown fists? Bull rush someone from ten feet away then knock them through a wall 30 feet away? Lung Soo specifically says that the bull rush attempt occurs when the monk makes an unarmed strike.

Raishoiken
2014-06-07, 02:01 PM
enchantments on natural weapons? my group is gonna have a field day with this one

Snowbluff
2014-06-07, 02:34 PM
I would tear my own throat out. Still unplayable. :smalltongue:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-07, 02:38 PM

enchantments on natural weapons? my group is gonna have a field day with this one

Necklace of Natural Attacks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a), bottom of the page. Note that 'unarmed strike' is a single natural weapon, even though you can use any part of your body to deliver it.

Put something on those odd-numbered Fighter levels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a), and while you're on that page read what they said about the Monk class, it's worth a good laugh.

Snowbluff
2014-06-07, 03:12 PM
My primary complaint is the use of custom magic items. If you are doing that, I strongly suggest a custom magic item of Wraithstrike, and one of Bite of the Werebear.

Put something on those odd-numbered Fighter levels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a), and while you're on that page read what they said about the Monk class, it's worth a good laugh.

Yep. It's a good item.

Rubberband_Man
2014-06-07, 03:33 PM
My primary complaint is the use of custom magic items. If you are doing that, I strongly suggest a custom magic item of Wraithstrike, and one of Bite of the Werebear.

I'm not using any custom items. Unless you count the bracers of ogre power +6, which normally only grant a +2, but since its such a cut-and-dry ability boost all I did was extrapolate it to +6 using the normal rules. I could have just as easily used a belt of giant's strength but my belt slot is already taken up by the monk's belt.

I would tear my own throat out. Still unplayable. :smalltongue:

Oh come now, you're telling me you don't want 6 attacks a round at +18 that deal 8d8+8 damage that also sends your opponent flying through a wall? You must be allergic to fun.

Snowbluff
2014-06-07, 04:10 PM
I'm not using any custom items. Unless you count the bracers of ogre power +6, which normally only grant a +2, but since its such a cut-and-dry ability boost all I did was extrapolate it to +6 using the normal rules. I could have just as easily used a belt of giant's strength but my belt slot is already taken up by the monk's belt.
Ring of Greater Mighty Wallop?

Oh come now, you're telling me you don't want 6 attacks a round at +18 that deal 8d8+8 damage that also sends your opponent flying through a wall? You must be allergic to fun.
I'm more of a ZWEIHANDER kind of guy. :smallbiggrin:

Rubberband_Man
2014-06-07, 06:27 PM
Ring of Greater Mighty Wallop?

Well I'll be damned. Totally forgot that wasn't a canon item cause I use it in literally every unarmed build. Still, it's totally worth it. THREE size categories from one item, and that's even assuming you didn't get the one cast by a 20th level caster which brings you up FIVE. A medium creature goes to having COLOSSAL fists with one item. Bite of the werebear is cool, but it just can't compare.

Snowbluff
2014-06-07, 06:39 PM
Well I'll be damned. Totally forgot that wasn't a canon item cause I use it in literally every unarmed build. Still, it's totally worth it. THREE size categories from one item, and that's even assuming you didn't get the one cast by a 20th level caster which brings you up FIVE. A medium creature goes to having COLOSSAL fists with one item. Bite of the werebear is cool, but it just can't compare.

Well, that depends on what you're doing. Bite of the Werebear gives you Power Attack and Blind Fight. Additionally, it covers your Dex, Str (+5 to hit in your case), and Con (2 more than normally allowed) Items. It also replaces your Natural Armor item.

Another good item would be Holy Transformation, for the rare Sacred Bonuses to Con, saves (you don't have an empyreal buckler), and Str.

Infernal Transformation is even better, and it stacks with Holy Transformation.

You don't have a luck bonus. Fear not! Divine Favors gives +3 to attack and damage.

Permanent Haste is also very easy. Master Trapsmith has it at level 1 for a bargain.

Dimension Hop (the psionic version) will give you swift action movement. Pop it on as an item with infinite charges.

Of course, this is all absurdly expensive. You should use some scrolls of wish to cover it or something.