PDA

View Full Version : Keep running into this problem, need a grocery list.

Wolfsraine
2014-06-06, 05:50 PM
So I'm currently playing a 3.5 game and my character is very thief-like. Good at stealth, sleight of hand and bluffing. Does really nice damage while flanking as well. What I need help with, it magic items. There have been a few times now where we get to get an item, be it through a quest, as payment, stealing, etc. This is where I get flustered. I have no idea what I should be aiming for. We're level 6 atm and I managed to steal a ring of dex from a shop. I just need help putting together a shopping list of magic items so that I can cut down the time ti takes me to choose something.

I play my character as a thief/assassin. I like to steal shiny things and I like to stab things. My weapons of choice are 2 shortswords and I prefer not to stray from those since they are important to my build.

I've looked online and I've found lists of necessary magic items. What I'm asking for here is anyone thats played a character similar to what I described, to let me know what items they found useful and valuable.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to seeing some cool items that I had no idea even existed!

On a side note, part of my characters story is that he is obsessed with becoming more and more like a shadow. Currently I'm trying to find a way to get to Thesk and undergo the ritual that bestows the Shadow-walker template to my character in preparation to eventually become a Tel-Flammar Shadowlord.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-06, 05:52 PM
To start with, what are your class, race, and feats?

Wolfsraine
2014-06-06, 05:59 PM
I am a Tiefling, 3 swashbuckler, 2 rogue, 1 swordsage

Feats: Nymphs Kiss, Craven, Shadow Blade, Weapon Finesse (from Swashbuckler)

Shouldve put that in the OP, sorry about that!

I should also add that we are using pathfinder feat progression.

Gildedragon
2014-06-06, 06:06 PM
I am a Tiefling, 3 swashbuckler, 2 rogue, 1 swordsage

Feats: Nymphs Kiss, Craven, Shadow Blade, Weapon Finesse (from Swashbuckler)

Shouldve put that in the OP, sorry about that!

Nymph's Kiss AND you stole stuff from a shop?

Wolfsraine
2014-06-06, 06:13 PM
Nymph's Kiss AND you stole stuff from a shop?

I don't see any issue with that. The feat says nothing about no stealing etc. Only that I have to have a close relationship with a Fey. DM ok'd it anyway.

tyriuth
2014-06-06, 06:30 PM
With a thief/assassin build I'd be likely want to build up sneak attack dice and use a bit of poison, with that in mind:
Helpful items:

Bracers of the Hunter: These cost 8,500 gp and are from Secrets of Xen'drik, page 145. They improve your sneak attack damage by +1d6 and give you a +5 competence bonus on hide checks and a +2 competence bonus on initiative checks.

Bracers of Murder: These cost 8,000 gp and are from Drow of the Underdark, page 98. They grant a +2 profane bonus on attack and damage against flat-footed opponents, increase the DC of your death attack by 2, and allow you to reroll 1s on sneak attack damage dice.

Deathstrike Bracers: These cost 5,000 gp and are from Magic Item Compendium, page 93. They allow you to deal sneak attacks and critical hits to creatures normally immune for 3 rounds per day.

Demolition Crystal, Greater: This costs 6,000 gp and is from Magic Item Compendium, page 65. A +3 or better weapon with this crystal attached can deal sneak attacks and critical hits to constructs, overcomes the DR of constructs as though made of adamantine, and deals an extra 1d6 damage to constructs.

Feycraft: This weapon template adds 1,500 gp to the cost of the weapon and is from Dungeon Master's Guide II, page 275. If applied to a light weapon, anyone who wields the weapon can use dexterity instead of strength on the attack roll, as if he had the weapon finesse feat.

Gloves of the Balanced Hand: These cost 8,000 gp and are from Magic Item Compendium, page 105. They give you the two-weapon fighting feat if you do not already have it. If you already have the two-weapon fighting feat, they instead give you the improved two-weapon fighting feat.

Mantle of the Predator: This costs 8,000 gp and is from Magic Item Compendium, page 200. It causes you to deal an extra +1d6 damage when you attack a foe denied his dexterity bonus to AC and gives you a +5 competence bonus on hide and move silently.

Mutineer's Eye: This graft costs 4,000 gp and is from Dragon magazine 318, page 54. It improves your sneak attack damage by +1d6 but imposes a -2 penalty to spot checks.

Truedeath Crystal, Greater: This costs 10,000 gp and is from Magic Item Compendium, page 66. A +3 or better weapon with this crystal attached can deal sneak attacks and critical hits to undead, functions as a ghost touch weapon, and deals an extra +1d6 damage to undead.

Rogue's Vest (MIC pg130, 18000gp)
+2 to Hide and Move Silently
+2 to Reflex save
"If you have the skirmish, sneak attack, or sudden strike ability, you deal an extra 1d6 damage when making such an attack."
(If you have and can make an attack that qualifies for all three types (ie. Surprise, Neraph charge, Invisible, or against a foe someone else is grappling), I believe you deal 3d6 extra damage)

(http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2957216)

There's also the Deadly Precision enchantment (use the Complete Adventurer one, not MIC) that gives you +2d6 sneak attack.

I'd also point you to this link: Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook))

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with poisons so can't help you there. Other things to consider would be armour (I always skipped actual armour with my rogues; going with bracers of armour to keep my usually insanely high dex bonus to AC at max), a mithril buckler can be good; extra item to enchant, make sure you stick that enchantment which lets you use it untrained though or pick up the proficiency.

Curmudgeon
2014-06-06, 07:29 PM
There's also the Deadly Precision enchantment (use the Complete Adventurer one, not MIC) that gives you +2d6 sneak attack.
You can't pair that recommendation with anything from Magic Item Compendium. The rule is that if you use an updated source, you're required to take the most recent version of anything in there. (No picking among the various versions of things.)

Azoth
2014-06-06, 07:36 PM
To make up for it there is a +1 enhancement from a wotc web article called Assassination that gives +1d6 Sneak Attack damage. You plair it with Deadly Precision and it still totals +2 bonus for +2d6 SA.

Wolfsraine
2014-06-06, 09:56 PM
Great suggestions guys! Exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for! Thanks!

fishyfishyfishy
2014-06-06, 10:02 PM
I don't see any issue with that. The feat says nothing about no stealing etc. Only that I have to have a close relationship with a Fey. DM ok'd it anyway.

The feat doesn't explicitly spell this out but the problem is that Nymph's Kiss is and Exalted feat. Your character has to be GOOD to have it and use it. Stealing is generally not a thing Good guys do. Neither is assassination. Maybe you and your DM missed that part of the Book of Exalted Deeds?

But if he/she is cool with it just being a "close relationship with a Fey" then that's their house rule.