PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I've looked around but can hardly find 2nd edition modules/adventures

Houtienchi
2014-06-06, 07:11 PM
Even on ebay what might be on there is always the same modules. Why do 2nd ed modules always seem to be so rare? It's easier to even find 1st edition stuff.

Jay R
2014-06-08, 12:06 PM
The problem with any used material is that either:
1. It won't sell, so the stores won't carry it, or
2. It sells, so they run out.

The only answer is persistence. Don't expect to find it at once; keep your eyes open.

Check out local used bookstores. Find the ones that handle RPGs at all, and go back every two weeks or so. Over the course of two years, I found a wealth of material.

LawfulNifty
2014-06-08, 01:40 PM
A lot of previous-edition material is available for sale on D&D Classics (http://www.dndclassics.com/), if you're okay with PDFs. Obviously not the same as holding the module in your hand, but better than nothing.

jedipotter
2014-06-08, 01:53 PM
Even on ebay what might be on there is always the same modules. Why do 2nd ed modules always seem to be so rare? It's easier to even find 1st edition stuff.

It just is. Most often you will find the popular stuff....stuff lots of people bought OR the un-popular stuff that is just sitting in a warehouse somewhere.... But the vast majority of 2E stuff was soft cover.....and soft cover stuff does not last. Even more so ''gaming'' often destroys books.

You might try places other then E-bay. Maybe used book stores? Live near a Half Priced Books?

LibraryOgre
2014-06-09, 11:10 AM
As I understand it, 2nd edition didn't do nearly as many adventures, and very few that were non-specific. Modules were bought by one person; expansions (Complete Handbooks, for example) would be bought by several people in a group. Furthermore, with 2nd edition's push on campaign settings, many that were released were more setting-specific.

Only ones that come to mind immediately are Night Below and Dragon Mountain, both of which are practically settings in and of themselves.

Winter_Wolf
2014-06-10, 11:27 AM
Another factor in rarity is that many gamers will allow their old edition stuff to leave their possession only when they're cold in their graves. I still have 2e stuff that I bought over 20 years ago, and I'd have a whole lot more if it hadn't been hijacked in my absence while I was overseas. Because adventures were smaller print runs, people like myself would rather obsess over their collections like Gollum over the One Ring than allow them to leave their possession even as a loan or for exorbitant sums of money. I tend not to even allow others to touch my old edition stuff if it's at all avoidable.

jedipotter
2014-06-10, 02:32 PM
As I understand it, 2nd edition didn't do nearly as many adventures, and very few that were non-specific.

There were tons of 2E books, far, far more then ''we will release one hardcover a year'' lazy wizards. There were only a couple generic ''modules''. True, each campaign setting had plenty of modules. Though it was never so hard to use a campaign specific module for anything.

Don't for get Dungeon!

veti
2014-06-10, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take more than ten minutes to convert most any 1e module into 2e.

That's probably one reason why there are so few of them - they would have been redundant anyway, with all the 1e stuff already widely available.