PDA

View Full Version : what should I gastalt? Wizard/ ??????

Azraile
2014-06-06, 08:34 PM
Strength 14 (+2)
Dexterity 23 (+6)
Constitution 15 (+2)
Intelligence 24 (+7)
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Charisma 18 (+4)

some good stats

cosmonuts
2014-06-06, 08:38 PM
I like factotum 19/warblade 1.

Gildedragon
2014-06-06, 09:03 PM
Ghast!

No?

Those are pretty good stats. Light armor Gish wouldn't be bad: monk-swordsage enlightened fist?

aleucard
2014-06-06, 10:20 PM
Really, you could Gestalt Wizard with literally anything in the book and still be pretty damn good as long as you cover the Wizard essentials.

What type of Wizard are you wanting to do? Or more to the point, what play style are you wanting to try?

Azraile
2014-06-06, 10:36 PM
something benifiting from high dex and int lol and arcane magic

aleucard
2014-06-06, 10:54 PM

That still covers an absolutely stupid amount of ground. Are you wanting to be sneaky? Front-line beefcake? Skillmonkey? Ranged Commando? Sniper? Something else that I can't think of off the top of my head? What?

Erik Vale
2014-06-06, 11:03 PM
Sha'ir
Grab any spell you've observed [and identified] for casting, then use that to scribe the spell in your spellbook. Int based casting, more spells/day than you, access to some divine spells. Additional spells known [in a manner like the sorcerer].

Perhaps Hexblade+Something with Evasion so that successful saves are complete saves, not partial.
Psion. Tashlatora feat to boost your AC, free silent/stilled spells with easy Novaing if you need + power point refreshment etc.
Psywar. Tash for same reason, bonus HP/save boost for fort.
Bard, more skill points + lore.
Warlock/Dragonfire Adept. Some constant/reserve abilities + more HP.

Azraile
2014-06-06, 11:33 PM
I'm thinking rougish or rangerish... something fitting some one that has had to take care of themselfs for a while

MirthTheBard
2014-06-06, 11:40 PM
Might I ask what level you're starting at and how you determined stats(point buy, rolls)? Out of curiosity.

aleucard
2014-06-06, 11:55 PM
If you're a Human or Changeling, then the iconic Factotum/Chameleon combo would be perfect. If you don't want to receive flak over employing the Chameleon's more absurd abilities, then straight Factotum is also very VERY good. I wouldn't let someone scribe Factotum spells into Wizard spellbooks if I were DM, but you may want to check with yours if that's allowed; it basically means you never have to pay more than the scribing costs to do any spell under level 7 again, which opens up a LOT of your WBL for your own use. The absurd number of things that they get access to also make them iconic survivalists. There's things that a Factotum can be expected to do bare-a#% naked that a rogue wouldn't be able to pull off nearly as well with WBL.

DMVerdandi
2014-06-07, 01:10 AM
Honestly, I would go with a class with some range. Gishing is fun, but there is probably already someone else in the party getting up close and personal. Factotum is pretty dope, but It might be a little too good.

How about a nice tier three class? Something with either no flavor, or tons of it.
I think as a way of showing dedication to a certain way of casting, one could take a class like Beguiler or Dread Necromancer And get all those spells from those classes, and cast utility off of the wizard.

I think something cool would be playing a wizard//(Warlock or Dragonfire adept). They aren't crazy strong, but you could get a theme going with one or the other. Not to mention, using smiting spell on either a breath weapon or an eldritch blast would be the jam.

Strongest would be archivist/artificer/stp-erudite, but that's just more of the same. I think the invoking classes aren't overwhelming, yet offer a lot of small, yet consistent benefits. They sweeten the pot just enough.

Azraile
2014-06-07, 01:30 AM
Dragonfire adept sounds fun but having turble finding good stuff on them

Azraile
2014-06-07, 01:57 AM
moving point buy around.... I get something more Wizard/dragon adepty

ability base race level
Strength 10 +0 10 (+0)
Dexterity 16 +6 +1 22/23 (+6)
Constitution 16 +0 16 (+3)
Intelligence 18 +6 +2 or +1 25/26 (+7/8)
Wisdom 8 +2 10 (+0)
Charisma 14 +4 18 (+4)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-07, 02:00 AM
1. Wizard 1// Sneak Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) Thug Fighter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug) 1
2. Wizard 2// Rogue 1
3. Wizard 3// Rogue 2
4. Wizard 4// Spellthief 1
5. Wizard 5// Rogue 3
6. Spellwarp Sniper 1// Rogue 4
7. Spellwarp Sniper 2// Rogue 5
8. Spellwarp Sniper 3// Psychic Rogue 1
9. Spellwarp Sniper 4// Rogue 6
10. Spellwarp Sniper 5// Rogue 7
11. Unseen Seer 1// Rogue 8
12. Unseen Seer 2// Rogue 9
13. Unseen Seer 3// Rogue 10
14. Unseen Seer 4// Rogue 11
15. Unseen Seer 5// Rogue 12
16. Unseen Seer 6// Rogue 13
17. Unseen Seer 7// Rogue 14
18. Unseen Seer 8// Rogue 15
19. Unseen Seer 9// Rogue 16
20. Unseen Seer 10// Rogue 17

Note that the Spellwarp Sniper's 'sudden raystrike' and the Unseen Seer's 'damage bonus' class features are not the 'sneak attack' class feature, so they can be gained simultaneously with sneak attack on a gestalt character. The above character gets +16d6 sneak attack and an additional +2d6 with Sudden Raystrike.

Normally spells that make multiple attacks, such as Scorching Ray, will only deal precision damage such as sneak attack on one of its attacks. This has been clarified in the Rules Compendium to only include spells that take less than a full-round action to cast. If you cast a Scorching Ray as a full-round action, for example if a spontaneous caster uses a metamagic feat to cast it, then it deals precision damage such as sneak attack on every attack it makes. For this reason you should either take the Spontaneous Divination ACF to get Versatile Spellcaster to be able to spontaneously cast spells you know, or get a single level of Cloistered Cleric with the feat Servant of the Fallen to take Initiate of Amaunator to 'spontaneously cast any spell on your spell list that has the fire descriptor' which functions the same way as spontaneously casting cure spells. Use Greater/Superior Invisibility with the Invisible Spell metamagic feat and the opponents won't even know where the hits are coming from. You can even use Split Ray and Cloud of Knives to gain additional (sneak) attacks, and use Reserves of Strength to remove the caster level cap on spells such as Scorching Ray so it can exceed the normal maximum of three rays. Take the Acidic Splatter reserve feat and you get an at-will ranged touch attack with which to deal your sneak attacks.

aleucard
2014-06-07, 02:02 AM
There be a handbook on DFA here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1101061) if you want, though there's an archive of all handbooks floating around somewhere if you care to look. For DFA, the only 2 stats that would count as anything at or above secondary are Constitution (which helps your Breath Weapon) and Charisma (which helps certain invocations and Facing). For you, Int and Con are your 'Important Above ALL Else' stats, and if you got decent Cha, then cool beans. Otherwise, you have more than enough options even if your Charisma is negative. Strength can be dumped as long as you don't worry about crap like weight capacities, Dex could be useful but you're not really supposed to be attackable in the first place (though good for if s#$% rockets fan-wards), and Wisdom helps your already-high-enough Will save and your various Perception checks a bit (you have Spot and Listen on your skill list; if you don't max these, then you have nobody but yourself to blame). The order of importance for DFA from what I can tell sans-Int is Con>Cha>Dex>Str=Wis. Be sure to look over all the Invocations you have access to, some are more useful for certain builds than others.

Azraile
2014-06-07, 02:33 AM
what I was looking at was:

wizard/LA(buyoff replacement ?)
wizard/?
wizard/?
wizard/?
wizard/?
Incantatrix/?

so I kinda have stuff in mind for one side all the way lol

Azraile
2014-06-08, 12:16 AM

seams my gm is waving exp costs.......

If I don't go...

wizard/LA(buyoff artificer)
wizard/artificer
wizard/artificer
wizard/artificer
wizard/artificer
Incantatrix/artificer

I think that makes me pants on head retarded.

>.>

Troacctid
2014-06-08, 12:58 AM
Better take Spontaneous Divination then. Spontaneous Alter Fortune with no xp cost seems pretty good.

Rebel7284
2014-06-08, 01:05 AM
wizard/artificer is a little bit redundant. Remember, you still only have one set of actions in combat.

Regardless, make sure you talk to your DM and party to make sure whatever you make is on par with what everyone else does! This is a co-operative game and while power is nice, making everyone else feel redudant is not.

With that said, here is my favorite gestalt wizard.

Martial Wizard 1 // Factotum 1
Martial Wizard 2 // Factotum 2
Martial Wizard 3 // Factotum 3
Martial Wizard 4 // Factotum 4
Martial Wizard 5 // Factotum 5
Swiftblade 1 // Wizard 6
Swiftblade 2 // Factotum 6
Swiftblade 3 // Factotum 7
Swiftblade 4 // Wizard 7
Swiftblade 5 // Factotum 8
Swiftblade 6 // Factotum 9
Swiftblade 7 // Wizard 8
Swiftblade 8 // Factotum 10
Swiftblade 9 // Factotum 11
Spelldancer 1 // Warblade 1

Martial Wizard variant to trade scribe scroll and the free metamagic feat at wizard 5 for dodge and mobility.
Factotum gives you the ability to take an extra standard action at Factotum 8 (character level 10)
Swiftblade gives you the ability to take an extra standard action at Swiftblade 9 (character level 14)
Spelldancer gives you free metamagic for all-day buffs.

Enjoy casting 4 spells per round with the ability to add your INT modifier to everything.

ryu
2014-06-08, 01:06 AM
Better take Spontaneous Divination then. Spontaneous Alter Fortune with no xp cost seems pretty good.

Spontaneous divination in general is just a tasty person.

DMVerdandi
2014-06-08, 06:52 AM

seams my gm is waving exp costs.......

If I don't go...

wizard/LA(buyoff artificer)
wizard/artificer
wizard/artificer
wizard/artificer
wizard/artificer
Incantatrix/artificer

I think that makes me pants on head retarded.

>.>

EXP COSTS FOR CRAFTING???
GO ARTIFICER.
Craft bunches of minor schemas and eternal wands.

Endarire
2014-06-08, 07:03 AM
Having played a gestallt Wizard||Artificer, I recommend going for something with better synergy. Keep the Wizard - it powers most the character - but add Warblade or/and Factotum to the other side for HP, saves, extra actions (if Factotum), and Diamond Mind counters (if Warblade).

DMVerdandi
2014-06-08, 07:21 AM
Having played a gestallt Wizard||Artificer, I recommend going for something with better synergy. Keep the Wizard - it powers most the character - but add Warblade or/and Factotum to the other side for HP, saves, extra actions (if Factotum), and Diamond Mind counters (if Warblade).

keep in mind he is going to be able to craft for free.
Hell, I'd drop the wizard before the artificer. Let us remember that the artificer is the closest thing to omni-casting around.

Yes, generally the theory about having an active/passive, gish type thing going on makes sense, but the artificer more than takes care of all of that.
It gets cleric buffs, so divine power can take care of all of those other problems. The extra actions thing is good, but honestly, TOO good.

Factotum is a skill user first, and spells more often than not completely invalidate the need. The benefit to having a caster//caster is that you can focus on your role, not worry about running out of juice, and truly have whatever you need on hand.

I'd REALLY like to see Sha'ir//Artificer.
That would be sick. Ramp up the Int and Cha, and make arabic themed magic items and have Djinn everywhere. It's like the MAGI manga.
Actually, next character.

weckar
2014-06-08, 07:43 AM
Going beyond the obvious for just a second: With Wizard and stats like that neither offense for defense should be a huge issue. So why not go for something a little more flavorful and fun?
Why not play a Wizard//Master?

DMVerdandi
2014-06-08, 07:51 AM
Going beyond the obvious for just a second: With Wizard and stats like that neither offense for defense should be a huge issue. So why not go for something a little more flavorful and fun?
Why not play a Wizard//Master?

which class is Master???

weckar
2014-06-08, 07:56 AM
Originally from the Dragonlance book, basically a (Very) playable PC version of the Expert.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-06-08, 08:31 AM

Artificer would do it for you. Craft wands/magic items and gain more metamagic feats for free.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-06-08, 08:47 AM
I've always found Wizard//Factotum or Wizard//Warblade to be pretty amazing (I also really like Warblade//Factotum for the ultimate jack of all trades crafty warrior). Former just gives you a lot of skills plus extra actions for spells and ignoring SR plus huge initiative bonus, it enhances your casting incredibly. Latter is just a really synergistic gish setup, though one where you won't be casting all the time. Still, d12 HD and full BAB with Iron Heart Surge and White Raven Tactics is nothing to scoff at.

If you want something simpler and less powerful, I played a Wizard//Ranger once and was surprised by how well the two work together. End up with d8 HD, full BAB, all good saves, and 6+int skills. Plus the Ranger's druid-like spell list complements your wizard list somewhat. And you can swap familiar for one of the many insane wizard goodies (abrupt jaunt? rapid summoning?) and still get a familiar through ranger. Either with Urban Companion variant, or taking the reverse of the Sorc/Wiz UA variant where they give up a familiar for an animal companion at half druid level (if the trade's balanced one way, it should be the other way, too).
Or...you can go Wild Shape Ranger into Master of Many Forms and have that synergistic framework with the power and versatility of shape-changing. Of course, then you'll be locked out of prestige classing your wizard side.

nedz
2014-06-08, 09:27 AM
I'm thinking rougish or rangerish... something fitting some one that has had to take care of themselfs for a while

Beguiler
More spells, more skill points and all Int based. Trapfinding, and also several useful class features.

chaos_redefined
2014-06-08, 09:30 AM
+1 for artificer as a passive side. It's a very powerful passive side, but you basically use it to make sure you are the best equipped wizard ever!

You get the Boccob's blessed book earlier. You get your headband of intellect earlier. You get your cloak of resistance earlier. You don't bother with mage armor style spells, because your real armor is better. (Thistledown Padded Armor, but still armor). Worried about the d6 hit dice? Well, an amulet of health will cover that! What about the extra actions that a factotum can have? Taken care of with the Belt of Battle and a wand of celerity (preferably combined with a Minor Schema of Favor of the Martyr, made persistent with your awesome Artificer stuff). What about the melee power a warblade can provide? First off... why? You have perfectly good wizard spells to cast... Second off, pick up Craft Construct, have a pet Dragon Effigy. Also allows you to fly around in style. (Ex) style, no less. Sure, it won't be as good as a Warblade, but it'll do the job quite well, while you cast spells on the side.

Artificer can be an active role, but that's usually expensive, requiring lots of wand charges and the like. But breaking WBL into little itty bitty pieces? That allows you to do a lot of stuff, while still being a wizard.

molten_dragon
2014-06-08, 09:33 AM
I would go for Wizard/factotum for INT synergy, ability to make use of your high dex, a bunch of added versatility, and nearly unparalleled nova'ing potential.
Or go Wizard/Archivist for INT synergy, and the ability to cast virtually every spell in the game.