PDA

View Full Version : The Magnificent Tme Stopped Mansion

Someonelse
2014-06-07, 01:35 AM
I just designed a nifty magic item, check it out

This magic item creates a permanent Magnificent Mansion, the entire mansion is under the effects of a Time Stop spell that resets itself every round relative to the time outside the door to the magnificent mansion. So for every 6 seconds outside, anywhere from 12 to 30 seconds passes in this demiplane.
So a wizard makes a DC40 Knowledge Planes check to activate this item. It opens a Magnificent Mansion with a time stop effect. Each round someone is inside the mansion it stops time for 1d4+1 rounds. This averages out to 3 rounds, so on average one day in the material plane is 3 days in the mansion, though sometimes it could be 2 and sometimes it could be 5.
An interesting use for this would be to open a demiplane, enter, then open another demiplane, enter, then another and so on. This has 50 charges, once created the demiplanes are permanent. So, in theory you could have this nesting doll of time stopped demiplanes, in the deepest one each round for the rest of the multiverse would be 50d4+50 rounds (or about 150 on average).

(Magnificent Mansion SpLv 7th x Caster Level 13th x 2,000 Continuous) = 182,000
+
(Time Stop SpLv 9th x Caster Level 17th x 2,000 Continuous x 4 Duration in rounds) = 1,224,000

(> + (< x 1.75)) = 1,542,500 x 0.6 DC40 Knowledge Planes(ad hoc) x 0.7 usable only by arcane spell casters x (0.028 1/week OR 0.2 1/day) x 0.5 50 charges = Market Value

MV: 9,070 Gold (1/week) OR 64,785 Gold (1/day)
Cost: 4,535 OR 32,393 gold to craft
XP: 363 OR 2,591 XP
Time: 5 OR 33 days
Wish: 726 OR 5,182 XP to Wish for it

Loek
2014-06-07, 10:03 AM
To be honest, if you were only able to create a single permanent mansion of this type, I'd judge it to cost at least the 65k (rounded up) of the 1/week item.

I don't think the calculations for "continuous effect" and "item with charges" (or "usable X times per Y) really mesh all that well.

I'd calculate it more along the following line:

{as you put it up to the following part}
(> + (< x 1.75)) = 1,542,500

After that
x 0.7 usable only by arcane spell casters
x 0.6 DC40 Knowledge Planes(ad hoc) (Though I am tempted to reduce this reduction, as it means that as you go epic, your items get progressively cheaper...)
x 0.6 The item isn't permanent, the effect is (ad hoc) (As a permanent item would add mobility to the whole)

granting a market value of: 390k (ish)

Which is a bit much, so I'd say (common sense (or lack thereof) incoming):

MV: 200k
Usable: Once a week (or month, or even year)
Special: Created mansion is permanent until a second one is created, the first then ceases to exist, depositing all contents either into the new one (in the same place or in a storage area) or at the location of the entrance of the original.

Just my two cents. At your current pricing (and the whole "nesting doll" idea) would make the item way way way too powerful/silly.

Hanuman
2014-06-07, 11:51 AM
Sped up time in a semi-plane.

See gramarie, planar handbook, ect.

Using time stop as the base spell for this effect however might be good, but so might haste.