PDA

View Full Version : Player Help factotum//swordsage build vs factotum//artificer for an indiana jones type character

shadowseve
2014-06-07, 12:35 PM
So I'm starting in a second campaign and I know one part of my gestalt is going to be factotum. The character type is a Indiana Jones type person who obviously loves dungeon crawling and searching for hidden artifacts. Artificer of course holds more power however; swordsage seems to blend well with factotum as well, especially with all the damn starting skill points. I had also considered warblade due to the improved fort and better hp and BAB but it really doesn't fit the theme.

This is not a power campaign, despite the gestalt, so I don't need a God character. Just looking for some more input on which would fit the theme better. This is with a new dm so I don't want to really break the game. Nothing on the level of my druid/planar shepherd. This is def a more story driven and concept type of campaign so concept>than raw power.

geekintheground
2014-06-07, 12:40 PM
well theyre both good choices, it just depends on what else you want your character to be like: will he be a fighter or a caster? is he more interested in LOOKING for ancient treasure, or is he interested in making some stuff himself?

Gildedragon
2014-06-07, 12:47 PM
Heh. I would argue SS's starting skills are a snafu but if your DM okays it...
I would recommend dipping bard 1 for whips, or exoticist fighter for whip, pistol (or hand crossbow)
Swordsage the rest or mixandmatch the two

A more Indy jones vibe gets had via swordsage or bard (PF bard archaeologist archetype is possible) bardic lore gives you more legend knowings, if PF a no go: bardic sage
That or cloistered cleric (works at a Uni, originally clerical systems) with kn swapped for kn dev,

Diovid
2014-06-07, 01:10 PM
Dungeon Delver (Complete Adventurer), Hoardstealer (Draconomicon) and Loredelver (Races of Destiny) are all thematically appropriate, even though they aren't the strongest prcs.

Gildedragon
2014-06-07, 01:20 PM
Thunder guide is also a very suiting PRC even if it is... Not very good

RFLS
2014-06-07, 02:53 PM
So I'm starting in a second campaign and I know one part of my gestalt is going to be factotum. The character type is a Indiana Jones type person who obviously loves dungeon crawling and searching for hidden artifacts. Artificer of course holds more power however; swordsage seems to blend well with factotum as well, especially with all the damn starting skill points. I had also considered warblade due to the improved fort and better hp and BAB but it really doesn't fit the theme.

This is not a power campaign, despite the gestalt, so I don't need a God character. Just looking for some more input on which would fit the theme better. This is with a new dm so I don't want to really break the game. Nothing on the level of my druid/planar shepherd. This is def a more story driven and concept type of campaign so concept>than raw power.

Honestly, I'd suggest a mishmash of classes on the other side - go something like Factotum X//Swordsage 2/Warblade 1/Monk 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/etc. Basically, dip hard and dip fast. With the monk dip you could pick up Carmendine Monk for Int > AC. CC gives you the knowledge domain and some extra goodies, as well as more skill points. Use your dips to augment the Factotum side; don't let the non-Factotum side guide your character, if that makes sense.

Be aware that the Swordsage's 6 x (6+Int) skill points at first level is almost certainly a typo - many DMs will rule that they actually get 4 x (6+Int) skill points at first level, because, well, that's exactly what every other class in the game does.

shadowseve
2014-06-07, 05:53 PM
Heh. I would argue SS's starting skills are a snafu but if your DM okays it...
I would recommend dipping bard 1 for whips, or exoticist fighter for whip, pistol (or hand crossbow)
Swordsage the rest or mixandmatch the two

A more Indy jones vibe gets had via swordsage or bard (PF bard archaeologist archetype is possible) bardic lore gives you more legend knowings, if PF a no go: bardic sage
That or cloistered cleric (works at a Uni, originally clerical systems) with kn swapped for kn dev,

Oh we're def aware of the controversy over the 6x skill points. as written it's x6, rai states x4. This is mainly for craps and giggles. I'm the only pc and my wife is wanting to DM her first mini campaign.

We're doing pathfinder feat progression with two flaws so that's the only the pf that we're bringing in.

shadowseve
2014-06-07, 05:55 PM
well theyre both good choices, it just depends on what else you want your character to be like: will he be a fighter or a caster? is he more interested in LOOKING for ancient treasure, or is he interested in making some stuff himself?

I think I may end up going sword sage as he would def be more up to finding crap. Artificer is an exercise in accounting so since this is supposed to be more light hearted I may just stick to factotum//swordsage.