PDA

View Full Version : [IC Thread] Adventures In Union - "Something Simple"

3drinks
2014-06-07, 01:01 PM
Fresh back from the job at Gold Apple Road, Dragoth, Jun, Gradak, & Dorian have returned once more to the hustle and bustle of the city streets of Union. It was a quiet day, the merchants were scurrying about as they peddled their goods to other patrons, indifferent of race (after all, a Centaur's coin is just as good as a Half-Dragon's, and Union was perhaps most renown for the diversity of it's community), while the Union Sentinels kept watch over the serenity of the town. In a way, you could see how the simplicity of the city life would be tempting to settle down into, but deep down, you know that you answered the call of Adventuring because it was much too exciting to pass up. Even if it was much, much more dangerous.

The sky was painted an orange hue - you'd estimate it to be about dusk by now. And by dusk, perhaps it is time to return to the tavern you've been known to frequent in the past; Mael's Pastries and Pints. As you walk in, you are greeted by the proprietor, Mael. She's a genuinely good person, who works hard to keep her establishment as a haven to Adventurers and Residents alike.

Since I just "fluffed" your intro as just coming back from a job, take 200gp as such payment. Call it a party fund, divide it evenly among you, whatever - that's for you to decide.

zingbobco000
2014-06-07, 01:28 PM
Jun flashes his charming smile. "The regular, if you would Mael." He pauses, waits for her to get his drink, hands her a gold piece. "Keep, the change." He then whispers. After that he asks her: "So, got any news about the outlands? Or any maybe some simple town business?"

If I haven't already said it, I will speak in blue.

Holy-hunter
2014-06-07, 02:17 PM
Dorian dismisses the lady with a small wave of his hand, not giving her eye contact. He looks around the room and tries to hide his dislike for the place. It was a bit cramped and dirty for his liking but the very feature that caused it to be that way is why he was here, like its owner it was very welcoming.

He makes his way fluently and gracefully further into the establishment where he finds 'his spot' he cleans a chair with a white pocket cloth before taking a seat and pulling out his fiddle to play a tune as best he can reflecting the mood and vibe of the room.

He would retreat into his music to unwind from the job while the others talked bussiness, joining them shortly, to collect his share.

Perform [roll0]

3drinks
2014-06-07, 02:56 PM
Not sure what instrument you're performing with (you didn't mention that) so excuse me if I fluff the wrong performance. Also, your finding a spot reminds of Frasier's brother Niles. Love that show.

Mael shakes her head in response to Jun's question. "Aye, I'm afraid I've heard only rumours from other patrons. They speak of an expedition to the famed ruin of Kerleth's Tower in search of all manner of mystical items but nothing has ever come of it - either the expedition never starts, or the party never returns. I'd imagine that is expected when seeking to loot and pillage a Master of the Arcane's residence. Of course, The Gleaners might have more knowledge on the task than I do." Mael calls to her assistant, "Creeh, have you heard of any current expeditions to Kerleth's?" Creeh shakes her head no, getting back to her work. "Is there any particular work you were lookng for?"

Dorian wipes down the chair then begins to fill the air with his own music from his Lute. Although the notes were not the crispest and some patrons rolled an eye at a couple of missed notes, Dorian's music eventually added a refreshment to the air of the establishment.

zingbobco000
2014-06-07, 03:47 PM
"A mystic tower, an arcane master's death, treasure? Where do I sign up?"

3drinks
2014-06-07, 04:41 PM
Mael chuckles to herself. "Such a hungry appetite you have. Of course, I guess the promise of riches is enough to motivate a lot of men. If you really are interested in started an expedition to Kerleth's Tower, my advice would be to seek out The Gleaners, right here in Union. I hear they are the ultimate authority on all manner of such powerful items in the multiverse - they should be able to point you in the right direction."

Mavame
2014-06-07, 05:43 PM
Gradak enters the taverm slightly later as he did a prayer in private to thank Pelor for a blessed day. Upon entering he gives a friendly nod to Mael and takes place next to Jun. "Could you give me the usual Mael?" He places a gold coin on the counter before turning to Jun. "Hello Jun, you seem excited, mind sharing what it is about."

As he waits for Jun's response he takes a good look around the tavern to see who is inside, nodding friendly towards Dorian as well.

zingbobco000
2014-06-07, 06:22 PM
Gradak enters the taverm slightly later as he did a prayer in private to thank Pelor for a blessed day. Upon entering he gives a friendly nod to Mael and takes place next to Jun. "Could you give me the usual Mael?" He places a gold coin on the counter before turning to Jun. "Hello Jun, you seem excited, mind sharing what it is about."

As he waits for Jun's response he takes a good look around the tavern to see who is inside, nodding friendly towards Dorian as well.

Jun turns towards Gradak, excitement plain on his face. Grinning from ear to ear like a child who got his/her favorite gift on their birthday. "A tower containing mystic treasure, and wealth, and the prospect of an undead arcane master!" He pauses to catch his breath. "Imagine the power I we could find there, the ancient tomes we could unearth, think of the loot!"

Dagoth Gares
2014-06-07, 10:01 PM
Dragarn walks into the tavern and on the way to his seat hears the beginning of a conversation. More gold certainly would help. I have not found out much since I have arived, and the money would do great in funding my searches. , Dragarn thought to himself. There are always promises of great loot, but what is the catch on this one? I do not think the undead would happily part with their wealth.

Mavame
2014-06-08, 02:00 AM
Gradaks keeps scanning the tavern for a little longer but when he turns to Jun again he looked grim "Undead..." he muttered as while he placed his hand on the wooden holy symbol. He took a deep breath as he thought about the encounter where he lost several comrades 'Will this be the one?'.

"A tainted place such as this tower needs to be cleansed by the holy light of Pelor, what do we know about this place?" Gradaks voice sounds as grim as his look and his grip tightens on the holy symbol.

3drinks
2014-06-08, 10:37 AM
After several minutes Mael brings your orders around and places them on the table in front of you. "Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Mavame
2014-06-08, 01:02 PM
Gradak takes a few seconds to force a smile and let go of his holy symbol, leaving an impressing of it in his hand. "Bless you Mael. And as always, keep the change." He takes a sip of his drink and looks at Jun again, "Mael, do you know who told Jun about this undead arcane master in some tower Jun is talking about?"

3drinks
2014-06-08, 01:41 PM
Mael blinks at Gradak's question. "Walking...dead? I didn't mention that - I have no idea what is in there though. Could be dragons, could be heinous aberrations, could be cute cuddly snails. Maybe your buddy there knows something though - perhaps discuss it with him?"

zingbobco000
2014-06-08, 04:04 PM
Gradaks keeps scanning the tavern for a little longer but when he turns to Jun again he looked grim "Undead..." he muttered as while he placed his hand on the wooden holy symbol. He took a deep breath as he thought about the encounter where he lost several comrades 'Will this be the one?'.

"A tainted place such as this tower needs to be cleansed by the holy light of Pelor, what do we know about this place?" Gradaks voice sounds as grim as his look and his grip tightens on the holy symbol.

Jun turns to Mael. "It was only an assumption as most arcane masters would take the proper precaution in a life after death."

Mavame
2014-06-08, 04:46 PM
"An assumption.....just an assumption...." He takes an other sip from his drink while looking to the fading impression in his hand "I think it would be wise to find some one tomorrow who actually knows what is going on in that tower that got you all excited Jun." He raises his drink to Dragarn "Hello Dragarn, I did not see you enter"

Dagoth Gares
2014-06-08, 09:14 PM
Greetings Gradak. I agree that it would be best to find any information we can rather than rush madly towards treasure. Assumptions can be as dangerous as the undead when made wantonly.

Holy-hunter
2014-06-10, 04:03 AM
"oh Mael, when will you do this place up? asks Dorian as he approaches the group running a gloved finger across a dust laden counter top.
Even tho he had not been adventuring with this crew for long it was obvious by the excitement on their face and the tone of the conversation that they had a new adventure lined up.
"alright then, I just hope this one pays a bit better" Dorian announces intervening into the conversation jiggling his coins.

Mavame
2014-06-10, 03:45 PM
"Indeed Dragarn, no need to be foolish about these things" Gradak pauzes for a moment as Dorian joins the conversation. "You played a nice tune there Dorian but glad you decided to join." He looks at Jun "Jun, would you like to share with us what Mael told you? After that we can plan out next steps." Gradak takes a sip from his drink and continues "I don't even know the Towers name you were talking about Jun." He then finishes his drink.

zingbobco000
2014-06-10, 06:07 PM
"Don't worry friends, I should have some information stored up here in this old thing." He taps his head.

Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
All other knowledges: [roll1]

He turns towards Gradak, "The name of the tower is Kerleth's Tower. It should have some magic items of value and other trinkets that may be salvageable. For further information Mael told me to check with the Glean(m?)ers"

Holy-hunter
2014-06-10, 11:01 PM
"where can we find these Gleaners?"

zingbobco000
2014-06-11, 08:22 PM
Jun looks over with a confused look on his face. "Personally? I have no idea..." He then turns to Mael. "Do you know where we could find these Gleaners?"

Mavame
2014-06-12, 02:07 AM
"The Gleaners you say... I have heard of them but have dealt with them I got most of my information from those who serve Pelor. But let me think if I can recall where they are." Gradaks frowns a bit trying to recall any info about the Gleaners.

[roll0]

It is untrained so up to you if you 3drinks if I can use this when i succeed.

3drinks
2014-06-12, 08:49 AM
Gradak racks his brain trying to recall anything, but alas, his brain fails him here. Meanwhile Dorian goes about polling various members of Union for details but maybe he smelled funny or something since they didn't seem to want to stay around him. He managed to pick up a bit or three of information - something about "Brown Apple Way" and "make a left".

zingbobco000
2014-06-13, 11:19 AM
There's my roll: [roll0]

Mavame
2014-06-13, 04:14 PM
Gradak shakes his head "Nothing comes to my mind, unless someone else knows something I'll head to the temple of Pelor and ask around there."

Mavame
2014-06-16, 02:44 AM
"Alright I am off, I'll be back in a little" With a friendly nod towards Mael Gradak gets up and head towards the temple of Pelor trying to get more information.

[roll0]

Holy-hunter
2014-06-16, 11:12 AM
Dorian tells the others about the little information he oddly decided to gather. He scratches his head as he tells the others not sure why he did what he just did, as it was very out of character for him.

TheLiquidSnake
2014-06-18, 08:31 PM
On your way to the temple, you get the bright idea to take a short cut to save tyme. However you mistakenly took the wrong short cut and end up in a shady looking market alley, the street sign above reads Bane Alley Market. As you walk down the alley you see merchants selling thing of less than mentionable nature, and something being hurriedly put away at the sight of a holy man. Near the end of the alley you are approached by a tall man with shoulder length dark brown hair, Brown eyes, a thick mustache, and a large snake around his shoulders and a woman with bright blue eyes, short blonde hair, a blue hairband with several decorative piercings on it, a tattoo is visible behind her ear, and a thick chain necklace with a heavy dark steel trinket on the end. Rather than stop you thye walk along side you and the man speaks "Dearest sir you seem abit lost, mayhap you are new to the city need a guide to the temple of Pelor?" (OOC:its your move holy man!)

Mavame
2014-06-19, 08:34 AM
Even while it is uncommon for Gradak to take a shortcut he does continue his way through the alley taking a brief pause from time to time to take a better look at some of the oddities that are being sold. Gradak nods friendly at both the strangers as they approach trying to recall if the tattoo or the trinket are either related a some religion.

While Gradak knows that in these parts kindness is not very common he does not wish to insult a man who might is actually trying to be helpful so he tries to find out if they have other motives "Well a good day to you as well sir and miss. And how kind of you to ask but no I am not new to town. As you might know there are various path that leads to the temple of Pelor just like there are many paths that lead to enlightenment the one I am on is one that is not traveled often." He smiles friendly but before he continues he place his hand on his mace . "But I do wonder.... how well do you know the city?"

[roll0]

[roll1]

TheLiquidSnake
2014-06-19, 06:37 PM
K. relgion:The trinket has nothing to do with any relgion, however the tattoo behind the womans ear is the symbol of faith for a diety in another plane called the Price Collector though you dont now much about him since he does not exsist on this plane.
Sense Motive: This man seem to be genuinely willing to help you.
The man smiles "We know the city quite well, we live here actually. And you make me glad to hear that the road less traveled holds more appeal to you. Now why do you ask about our knowledge of the city? Is there some place perhaps you havent been that you need to find? Or perhpas you are looking for work? that actually is why we approached you, for you see we are in deprate need of some owrk being done for us. Its good honest work, that is for the better of the people who live in this city."

Mavame
2014-06-20, 02:36 AM
Gradak looks at the man "I was looking for someone who might be able to tell me more a bout a place in the city but if you have some work that will help the city I might be interested"

Suddenly Gradak stops walking "Why don't we get a drink while you tell me all about how we can better the city." He looks back over his shoulder "And I know just the place to get some good drinks, it is a little bit the other way but we could talk while walking about the place I was trying to get more information on."

TheLiquidSnake
2014-06-20, 04:07 AM
The man will seem eager to go with you but the woman taps him on the shoulder and whispers something in his ear. He turns and gives her a questioning looks but soon turns back to you. "I am afraid my friend here is worried a bout some matter she believes more pressing than this, so I must help her attend to it. But i shall leave you this." The snake will slide around his out stretched arm holding a note in its mouth. "This note contains all the details of the job I need done, if you complete it I'll see to it all the information you need about the city is brought to you as well as a a large sum of money. Should you go above and beyond the task I will make sure to add something special to your reward." The snake will drop the note in your hand and the 2 will walk away disappearing into the crowd.I am dead tired right now, when i wake up in the morning ill write up the note for you.

Mavame
2014-06-20, 02:24 PM
Takes the note from the snake and starts to speak while quickly scanning the note "I am Gradak and with who do I have the pleasure of....." as he looks up from the note he realizes that the duo he was talking to are not to be seen anymore.

Gradak mutters a bit to himself as he starts to head back to Mael's Pastries and Pints "Well i hope the note contains a way of contacting them". He pauses from time to time on the way to read the note.

TheLiquidSnake
2014-06-20, 03:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/saria14/TothepatriotsofUnion.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/saria14/media/TothepatriotsofUnion.png.html)

Mavame
2014-06-20, 05:36 PM
By the time Gradaks reaches Mael's he has read the note atleast five times. Uncertain of how he feels about what he has been asked he tucks the note away before entering. Inside Gradak look around to sees who stayed and waited for his return.

Dagoth Gares
2014-06-20, 07:23 PM
Dragarn had decided to stay and wait and noticed Gradak's return. Welcome back. What did you learn at the temple?

Holy-hunter
2014-06-20, 11:08 PM
A soft snore can be herd coming from a nearby booth where a concealed Dorian, exhausted from the previous adventure, naps awaiting his party and news of gleaners.

zingbobco000
2014-06-21, 11:37 AM
Jun also waited for Gradak's return. He then quickly asks like a small child. "What is it, what did you find? Did you even find anything at all?"

Mavame
2014-06-23, 02:51 AM
Smiles seeing everyone is still here. "Well I didn't make it quite to the temple but I did have an interesting encounter. I am not quite sure how to feel about it" He looks at Dorian "Maybe we should wake him up before I continue." With that he walks over to Dorian and places a handon his shoulder "Time to wake up kid."

Gradak returns to his seat and waits till every one is up ordering a drink "Can I get an other one Mael, I could use a drink right now." When everyone has joined Gradak reveals the letter he has and passes it around so every one can read it while Gradak started talking. "Well I was on my way to the temple when I got addressed to by two persons. While I was hesitant at first their motivations sounded genuine. While they did not yet tell me about the Gleaners they did gave me that letter and told me they will help when this is done." He pauses and continues with a lower voice "While I am for destroying evil I am not so eager in assassinating someone based on a letter even if it is true. But what are your opinions on this?"

Holy-hunter
2014-06-23, 04:41 AM
Dorian smirks as he lets out a little chuffed laugh.
"So of the hundreds of people who walk the streets of Union you were singled out by a stranger to eliminate a stranger based on the context of a strange letter. He pauses to see if he was missing anything, then continues "while I might not be above killing someone for money if the circumstances were right, if they even intend to pay us at all, but I am not one to foolishly get involved in politics, especially when it involves the affairs of Union. If he is in any power it has been granted, and we would be breaking some serious laws. The marcanes are well capable of taking care of there own things I think it's best we don't start killing because someone shady asked.

Although even if the intended marks views and actions are a bit off his life is clearly in some danger. Rightly or wrongly I don't believe it is up to these strangers to determine his punishment nor should we do nothing with this information."

zingbobco000
2014-06-23, 06:15 PM
Believing strongly in not doing evil things unless for a good cause, Jun says: "We should not kill this stranger until we know more about these people and the person you were told to kill. Even then, I don't like the sound of this."

Dagoth Gares
2014-06-25, 10:44 AM
This is an odd event. Why would someone want to hire us specifically to assassinate a man? The last sentance was clearly addressed to us. There is definately more to this than it seems.

Mavame
2014-06-26, 04:36 AM
"So we all agree that we need to learn more about these Patriots and this gnome." Gradak thinks for a moment "We might as well take some rest after the job we did today. And start checking this schedule tomorrow as well as finding out about these patriots." He takes the letter again reading the last part "Dragarn you are right about the last part, but how could they have known we had interest in that tower?"

Holy-hunter
2014-06-26, 01:16 PM
"I don't like this one bit"
Dorian adds as he furrows his brows and rests a hand upon the stubble of his chin, showing that he is deep in concerning thoughts.
"The tower is no secret so there's a chance that it's just a general letter made for anyone who appears the adventuring type... on the other hand if it was made just for you that not only means that we were being watched in this very establishment, and may still be... " his voice quietens as he gazes around the room looking for suspeccting characters.but it also means, to gather the info, pass it on, write the note and cut you off,... Well then we are dealing with at the lest a very organised and small party.
I fear wether we like it or not we are already in this deeper then I would like to be."

Shaking off what ever ill thought troubled him, Dorian nods in agreeance as he puts his arm around Dragarn and whispers something in his ear. Then in a loud stern voice directed to the others he says
"yes sleep would be ideal right now but we will not be coming with you, you call for trouble where ever you tred and we want our life at risk, due to association, no further.

It is quite clear by his body language he wishes to split the group.

(Only from traveling together will everyone know that Dorian and Dragarn are not actually quite as chummy as Dorian is now acting, the only thing they really share are a few rouge-ish talents and skills.)

Mavame
2014-06-27, 05:31 AM
Gradak realizes that Dorian is plotting something but unsure what it is he response a little bitterly. "I am sorry you see it this way. Purging the world from evil is something you should embrace not run away from if it is not fully up your alley." Without waiting on a response he walks away from the others and sits on a different table waiting on the drink he ordered.

Dagoth Gares
2014-06-28, 09:07 PM
Dragarn nods to Dorian and agrees that it would be good to rest. He finishes his meal and heads off to bed when the others do.

zingbobco000
2014-06-29, 02:22 AM
Jun sets down his plate, thanks Mael, then heads up to his room seeing that this is a "argument" of sorts which he would rather not get into.

Mavame
2014-07-16, 09:42 AM
Gradak reads the note once more after the other left for their rooms and take his time to decide what he wants to do about the strange encounter he had earlier that day. While there are enough reasons not to do it what the note says it was enough for Gradak to look into it and decide for himself if the target is evil or not.

With that he is of to his room for a prayer for guidance in the matter and an early bed rest.

TheLiquidSnake
2014-07-17, 08:36 PM
No one else was in the tavern area with you at the tyme you discussed the note other than Mael.