PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Group

TimeWizard
2007-02-20, 10:05 PM
Richard, if Belkar and Black Mage were an undead warlock in a WoW inspired setting. And somehow eviler. That aside it's actually good: artwork, story, characters. And it has Richard.

www.lfgcomic.com (http://www.lfgcomic.com)

Richard.

J_Muller
2007-02-21, 02:00 AM
Yeah, I've started reading that. It's looking good.

averagejoe
2007-02-21, 02:04 AM
It is fairly funny, but the whole black mage thing is a bit overdone. That is, it's well done, but it doesn't offer much in the way of something new.

Ava
2007-02-21, 05:49 PM
Yes, I agree. The art is wonderful... but the story doesn't draw me in at all. I thought the warlock or black mage or whatever was an Undead Rogue since that hood looks like the Bloodfang helm or something... mostly only Rogues wear the face mask part, so it's misleading. :)

Flabbicus
2007-02-21, 06:01 PM
The characters aren't very original, but heck, I like the art, and I like Least I Could Do, and they make it. So I'll check up on it once in a while.

The Extinguisher
2007-02-22, 01:08 AM
"You all saw it, that orphanage attacked me"

Alex Kidd
2007-02-22, 03:44 AM
I like LFG. Sure not original but it's well done and it's pretty. Not something I hang out for but I still check it regularly. My favourite characters the Gnome Boss by the way.

Richard, if Belkar and Black Mage were an undead warlock in a WoW inspired setting. And somehow eviler..

No, Richard has not got a thing on BM. BM's better and eviler. Richard simply acts acts for his own amusement. BM is evil for its own sake. BM needs to hurt things in order to be comfortable peeing. He killed his doppelganger and ****ed it's corpse because he hadn't made self-love into enough of a sin. He drains love itself from the universe and converts it into destructive energy. Sarda an omnipotent being could not with an infinite amount of time teach him even the idea of self-sacrifice. And he also has at least 2 more character dimensions than Richard. The eternal loser, and the only seen once, actually having a soul.

I'll let one of the fanclub argue why Belkar's better. He is in my opinion as well.

Dariendel
2007-02-28, 11:38 AM
It's from the makers of leasticoulddo.com so I was right to expect a jerk in the comic. Richard>Rayne though.

Jibar
2007-02-28, 11:49 AM
I may have to go find one of my posts in the Random Banter. I defended Richard from the Black Mage stereotype there as well...

I dunno. I think Richard has a bit more of an upbeat mood. Every other stereotypical evil mage is a fairly unhappy lot, who make jokes at other's expenses, and usually take their lives in the process.
Richard on the other hand is just a happy person, who doesn't even engage in violence unless provoked so far.
Black Mage really does kill stuff for fun. Richard has reason behind each of his killings.
And yes, Cale is annoying. But then the character he's based on is also annoying.

Killed a bunny to demonstrate a point
Killed a peasent while defending himself
Killed Cale, yet also had him brought back
Killed three soldiers trying to kill him
Killed a dragon about to kill him
Killed a gnome attempting to capture them
Killed however many more gnomes attempting to kill him

So far that bunny seems to be his only truly evil act.

Sigil
2007-02-28, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I'm rather fond of this comic myself.
Richard's cheery acts of evil and cruelty are particulaly fun. How he compares to Belkar I'm not sure, LFG hasn't ammassed that many strips yet to give anywhere near enough information and focus on richard to really compare to Belkar (who's had an awful lot of time and strips).
That said, it still looks like Richard's only going to get better for the imediate future.

The Extinguisher
2007-02-28, 09:35 PM
Jibar, don't forget that orphanage that attacked him

It's true. Those orphanages are evil.

averagejoe
2007-03-01, 12:50 PM
I may have to go find one of my posts in the Random Banter. I defended Richard from the Black Mage stereotype there as well...

So far that bunny seems to be his only truly evil act.

Well, that's the thing though, it's in the character not in his actions. BM committed evil acts, sure, but as often as not they were as or more harmful to him than they were to anyone else, at least in any lasting way. The stabbings, for example, just served to further frustrate him when they didn't work, making him perform more actions which result in his own harm.

Richard, on the other hand (and to a lesser degree the tauren and orc) have kind of the same personality thing going on, but instead of humorously bringing out frustration in the characters when their own ruthless natures take them further from their goal rather than toward it, it seems to be more like the authors saying, "yeah, look at me, I'm cool because I can create characters who aren't all good and stuff." Really, their personalities are what, for me, the strip's biggest weakness.

And... no evil acts other than killing a bunny. Right. So, using a man as a shield (which was probably uneeded anyways, in light of the knife throwing thing) and then watching in glee as his child is traumatized isn't evil? Abd that's just the case where he doesn't use excessively violent means to reach his goals (i.e. roasting the head off a gnome sentry, then mocking the corpse.)

Ted_Stryker
2007-03-02, 08:57 PM
"You may pass."

"And I apologize for my earlier rudeness."

Nice.

TinSoldier
2007-03-02, 09:22 PM
I just discovered this comic recently and I really like it. That Richard is hilarious! I don't read any other comics where a good character is the odd man out in an otherwise evil party.

I like the artwork and the characters.

Jibar
2007-03-03, 01:20 PM
And... no evil acts other than killing a bunny. Right. So, using a man as a shield (which was probably uneeded anyways, in light of the knife throwing thing) and then watching in glee as his child is traumatized isn't evil? Abd that's just the case where he doesn't use excessively violent means to reach his goals (i.e. roasting the head off a gnome sentry, then mocking the corpse.)

Think about it though. How many times have you watched one of those home video shows, laughed your face off, and afterwards actually considered all the damage that person has sustained, the emotional trauma of the nation watching it and laughing at you...that's pretty evil as well. For all we know that guy who fell of a trampoline may be so ashamed of it he killed himself. Haven't a clue. But everyday we're emotionally traumatising people from the comfort of our own homes. doing it up close and personal seems a little...nicer.

But, yeah, human shield aint a bad thing. Have you ever been shot at? Instinct tends to take over, and more often than not instinct is get something in front of you. The knife throwing guy, Richard didn't see coming, so he couldn't block. But the arrow was clearly coming at him.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-03, 01:35 PM
I like Richard, and agree with Jibar about his mentality. He's a necromancer (presumably), so he's dealing with death all the time. That's given him an especially morbid sense of humor, but while he's evil I don't think he's malicious. Just... curious about things (such as what a Resurrection would do when combined with a centipede).

Gid rocks, too. I love the fact LFG doesn't pander to the uber-hot sorcerer chick stereotype.

averagejoe
2007-03-03, 03:30 PM
Think about it though. How many times have you watched one of those home video shows, laughed your face off, and afterwards actually considered all the damage that person has sustained, the emotional trauma of the nation watching it and laughing at you...that's pretty evil as well. For all we know that guy who fell of a trampoline may be so ashamed of it he killed himself. Haven't a clue. But everyday we're emotionally traumatising people from the comfort of our own homes. doing it up close and personal seems a little...nicer.

Actually I haven't, at least not since I was in grade school. I hate those sorts of shows, so I suppose it's a moot point.

Are we even reading the same comic? Gid is totally pandering to that stereotype. The only reason that she might not be considered to be doing that is because she's an orc, but even those features are greatly de-emphasized. I mean, she doesn't even have a shirt, just a strip of cloth.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-03, 07:22 PM
Gid is totally pandering to that stereotype. The only reason that she might not be considered to be doing that is because she's an orc, but even those features are greatly de-emphasized. I mean, she doesn't even have a shirt, just a strip of cloth.

From the neck down, maybe. However, from the neck up it's quite easy to mistake her for a male orc, especially in the first few comics. Plus, going back through the archives, they don't go out of the way to show off Gid's body and she's not displayed in ludicrous poses. The clothes are just in-genre for what it is, which is a comic based off of typical fantasy archetypes.

Edit: I randomly decided to do avies of Cale and Richard:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s120/LankyBugger3/Cale.pnghttp://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s120/LankyBugger3/Richard.png

They're up for adoption if anyone wants either.

Flabbicus
2007-03-03, 10:47 PM
No offense meant, but I can really see Richard's baby fat in that avatar. Caused from the baby he ate.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-03, 11:34 PM
Yeah... I'm not really satisfied with him, to be truthful. I might go back and thin up the torso a bit, but... Meh.

Nevrmore
2007-03-04, 02:10 AM
Richard is the group's Cartman - The character everyone outside of the world loves, but inside of the world he's the most evil thing to come around since Cool Whip from a can (seriously, that stuff sucks).

I enjoyed the latest comic...

Gnome: He murders innocent women and children -
Richard: Who doesn't?

mmorpc
2007-03-13, 06:53 AM
I don't really like this comic lol. I almost think it has to much art, takes away from the strip.

Turcano
2007-03-23, 01:15 AM
Richard is the group's Cartman - The character everyone outside of the world loves, but inside of the world he's the most evil thing to come around since Cool Whip from a can (seriously, that stuff sucks).

And how.

"I drained the soul of a monk once. It tasted like chocolate."