PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed I'm playing a Druid into Hathran and I'm worried my DM may try to screw me over...

AnonymousPepper
2014-06-07, 01:28 PM
Specifically, by turning my character into a dude and thus disqualifying me from Hathran. Because some dunce in the party had to ask in front of the Chaotic Neutral trending Evil dungeonmaster what happens to me if I as a female Hathran become a guy by some means.

Besides the obvious "give any magic item we find to one of my followers first because I'm a Hathran and I have Leadership," what else can I do to avoid such shenanigans?

On the bright side, of course, he plays in my Pathfinder campaign, so there's disincentive for us to screw each other over, but still. I'm paranoid.

Twilightwyrm
2014-06-07, 02:46 PM
Technically all it would do is temporarily disqualify you from taking more levels in the PrC, until you can magic your way back to the appropriate sex. Further, there are few to no official magic items that can forcibly swap the sex of an individual (the potential for immature abuse being fairly obvious). Additionally, unless the item has a "one use per person" clause (in which case you know your DM is being a immature twit), simply using it again should suffice to turn you back to your original sex. Finally, any magic that would cause real change for any extensive period of time would be based upon transmutation magic, and thus you could identify it ahead of time with liberal use of the detect magic spell.
More to the point though, it should not become a thing on anything resembling a permanent or regular basis. Might be good for a quick laugh, but unless your DM wants you to seriously role-play the effects of a woman, whose magic and way of life is tied (in part) to being a women, becoming a man (in which case...why?), pulling that kind of stuff just to screw you over should probably be out of bounds (especially because MAD is at play). The DM's job is to craft a compelling narrative, and challenge the players, not antagonize them.

rg9000
2014-06-07, 07:32 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/oots0009.gif

Falcon X
2014-06-08, 02:28 AM
Think of this realistically. If you were a member of an order of all females, and a magic spell made you male, what would it change?

Chances are, whatever magics you follow wouldn't care what sex you are. You had to be a female for somebody to teach you how to use them, but once you know, you know. Males still have access to the Hathran forests, I believe.

Now, would you be kicked out of the Hathrans as a group? Maybe. It depends on who the current leader is. Though, it might make a neat plot arc to see if the Durthans would take you.

Could you still advance in levels? It depends on if you are learning your magic from fellow Hathrans, or the spirits and personal study. If it's spirits and personal study, it shouldn't matter. Look at the Durthans. They wield the same type of magic, but are more independent. I doubt they rely on each other.