PDA

View Full Version : Psycarnum Infusion + Midnight X

Renen
2014-06-07, 02:05 PM
Regarding this thread: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7991.40

Reading this thread, I felt like starting another discussion on the topic.

Who thinks that Psy Infusion + Midnight Augmentation trick doesnt work?
Here's the reason given in above-linked thread:

The Reason the Trick Doesn't Work:
When we treat the midnight x as if it had essentia invested, what should it do? Well what happens when we normally invest essentia? It trips the 1/day limit. To assume otherwise is to read into the text more than is actually there. The 'it doesn't say I can't!' argument is all that's left. Sorry guys, it seems we are left with a RAW without NI pp.

I do see its possible for the 'as if' part being interpreted as NOT tripping the 1/day limit. But as far as I can tell, I can't rule out the interpretation of it still tripping that limit. And we all know what to do when faced with a 'the text isn't explicit' borked interpretation vs balanced interpretation...

I think it definitely works, but maybe someone can explain it to me well enough that I think otherwise?

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-07, 07:28 PM
Forgive my ignorance and slowness of understanding... I don't get the trick. Where might I find a simplified explanation of it?

Renen
2014-06-07, 08:29 PM
The trick is very simple.

First you have a power called "Bestow Power". You spend 3pp, and get 2pp in return (Normally cast on someone else, as casting on yourself only makes you lose 1pp)

Then you have a feat called Midnight Augmentation. You put essentia into it (read magic of incarnum book to know exactly what incarnum is). For every 1 point of incarnum, a single power may be manifested with one less pp cost. So if you infuse 2 incarnum, a power costs 2pp less to manifest.

Finally, you have Psycarnum Infusion. For the low low cost of Psionic Focus, this feat allows you to treat one feat like it has max essentia invested in it.

So all you do, is spend the psionic focus, a Midnight Augmentation is treated like it has as much essentia as your ML (but we really only need 2).
Now that you have Midnight Augmentation with 2 or more essentia, you can manifest Bestow Power for 2pp cheaper. Now you have Bestow Power that costs 1pp to manifest, but gives you 2pp.

BOOM!