PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Rules for playing a Vampire/Lich?

Khatoblepas
2014-06-07, 09:00 PM
So I've been running an AD&D game, and one of the players (a human necromancer) has been aging pretty fast compared to the other players (natural aging, the haste spell, and an unlucky encounter with a ghost to blame), who are playing much longer lived races. The player loves their character, and wants to continue playing them. They've expressed interest in becoming an undead, namely a vampire or a lich, just so they can continue with their adventuring friends.

But I can't find any concrete rules on how to give their powers to the players. Are there any books (probably Ravenloft) that detail the process of becoming a lich/vampire and how a player can be one in-game? I'm going to waive the "player becomes an NPC in my control" thing, because even if he becomes an evil shell of his original self, it'll be interesting to roleplay.

Thrudd
2014-06-08, 01:46 AM
So I've been running an AD&D game, and one of the players (a human necromancer) has been aging pretty fast compared to the other players (natural aging, the haste spell, and an unlucky encounter with a ghost to blame), who are playing much longer lived races. The player loves their character, and wants to continue playing them. They've expressed interest in becoming an undead, namely a vampire or a lich, just so they can continue with their adventuring friends.

But I can't find any concrete rules on how to give their powers to the players. Are there any books (probably Ravenloft) that detail the process of becoming a lich/vampire and how a player can be one in-game? I'm going to waive the "player becomes an NPC in my control" thing, because even if he becomes an evil shell of his original self, it'll be interesting to roleplay.

There's such a thing as potions of longevity that will reverse the aging effects. Slipping a few of those into the next adventure, or designing an adventure around finding such potions or ingredients to make them might be easier on your campaign than trying to balance it around someone playing the most powerful undead creatures in the game. Recommend against allowing a lich or vampire as a PC.

Angelalex242
2014-06-08, 02:29 AM
Actually...yes, there ARE rules for doing that.

And it's based on Ravenloft. At the time Il Aluk becomes Necropolis, any PC who happens to be in town at the time will rise as undead.

Which makes sense. Only in Ravenloft should playing the undead be anything like normal.

Khatoblepas
2014-06-08, 03:26 AM
Potions of Longevity would work... but he's already drunk a couple and doesn't want to risk it backfiring and reaging him to death. He's really on death's door here, and getting desperate. The druid suggested reincarnating him, but he's already seen someone turn into a raccoon once this campaign. We all agree it would be interesting for the necromancer to become undead himself, we just need rules.

Actually...yes, there ARE rules for doing that.

And it's based on Ravenloft. At the time Il Aluk becomes Necropolis, any PC who happens to be in town at the time will rise as undead.

Which makes sense. Only in Ravenloft should playing the undead be anything like normal.

Do you know which book this is in?

Angelalex242
2014-06-08, 04:15 AM
As it happens I do.

Requiem, the Grim Harvest. TSR product 1146.

It's a boxed set.

Khatoblepas
2014-06-08, 05:05 AM
Requiem is perfect. He'll be up and about again in no time once he dies. Thanks for the help!

Lord Torath
2014-06-08, 03:52 PM
Potions of Longevity would work... but he's already drunk a couple and doesn't want to risk it backfiring and reaging him to death. He's really on death's door here, and getting desperate. Give him Elixirs of Youth. They restore 1d4+1 years per dose, with no risk of the reversal that comes with Potions of Longevity. And urge him to be more careful with Haste Spells.

Of course, if you've decided to go the Lich route, by all means, go that way. Spelljammer's Lost Ships (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0880388315/ref=nosim/waynesworldof-20) (I'm not affiliated with that link) has rules for Arch Liches, which are good-aligned, in case his alignment hasn't gone too far south.

hamlet
2014-06-09, 09:20 AM
It should be pointed out that in the AD&D system, 1) the act of becoming a lich is, in itself, a terribly evil act and 2) doing so, according the word of the rules, the character undergoing the process becomes a monster under the control of the DM.

There are better ways to acheive imortality than becoming an undead abomination. Lots of them.

A wish spell, carefully worded, can get that effect. Or a clone spell. A contingency spell.

You can make a unique spell or magic item the focus of a long quest, seeking out an aged master who, against all odds, has lived to the age of 400 through some unknown means.

Lots of options other than lich or vampire.

Jay R
2014-06-09, 09:52 AM
Turning into a lich or vampire is primarily an incredible increase in power. It also happens to bypass aging, and that's the reason he's giving for wanting it, but the major effect is to increase his power far more than normal limits.

To put it in perspective, note that in 3E, becoming a vampire is the equivalent of gaining 8 levels at once. That's what he's asking for.

He's a necromancer, so it's more-or-less legitimate, but you really need to put limits on his power. If he becomes a vampire, it should take 8 levels of experience for him to reach full strength. If he becomes a lich, he should gain only one level's worth of ability at a time (including such things as immunity to poison.)

Either that, or introduce some undead-hunting clerics.

But somehow, you need to balance the incredible increase in power he's asking for.

Angelalex242
2014-06-09, 02:30 PM
Oh, it already is balanced.

See, that's a RAVENLOFT module you're looking at. Remember what happened to good old Strahd upon receiving his vampiric power?

Two words: Domain Lord. That's enough of a check and balance as you could ever want.

MeeposFire
2014-06-09, 07:45 PM
Oh, it already is balanced.

See, that's a RAVENLOFT module you're looking at. Remember what happened to good old Strahd upon receiving his vampiric power?

Two words: Domain Lord. That's enough of a check and balance as you could ever want.

But wouldn't the restrictions placed upon you as a domain lord essentially make it annoying to have as a player character since you would have restrictions on how you can adventure?

Angelalex242
2014-06-09, 07:59 PM
That's why they're normally NPCs. That said, it's easy enough to provide endless quests within in your domain through the Curse the Dark Powers place on every Domain Lord.

Most of Strahd's XP these days comes from trying to claim Tatyana, and ganking whoever happens to be in the way. Most of Azalin's XP is trying to work around that no new magic curse.

And so on.

Pilo
2014-06-10, 04:59 AM
The rules for becoming a lich also are in Wizard spell compendium 4 at the end of the book.

The wizard spell reincarnation (level 6, PHB) might work as well as it gives the character a new corpse of young adult age without risk of failing.

Cybermaniac
2014-07-03, 09:49 AM
I saw a fact-file, quite a while back, detailing the differences between an ordinary Monster Manual vampire and an ex-PC turned NPC vampire. Needless to say, the main differences were the stats, other then strength, stayed the same. Also, certain abilities that the PC had aquired throughout the game either changed or enhanced vampiric abilities; for example, a character who previously could use the skill charm animal is now restricted on the animals they can charm.
The main thing to remember is that, as long as the player can role play the change effectively, then you have a certain amount of leway concerning what you can do.