PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Designing an Abyssal Adventure

Harbinger
2014-06-08, 12:08 AM
I've decided that my next adventure will involve my players going to the 222nd layer of the Abyss, Shedaklah, home of Zggtmoy the Demon Queen of Fungi, to locate a cultist hiding there who can give them information on the mind flayer operation they have been investigating. For this, I have decided it will be a more open exploration thing, as opposed to the tightly planned out dungeons I usually develop. The party is ECL 11 and consists of a Necropolitan human duskblade, a githyanki bard, a githzerai rogue/assassin, a warforged juggernaut/barbarian, and a changeling sorcerer. The adventure is to take place primarily on the surface, thouh some venture into the underground realm of the Faceless One might be thrown in. My need for advise is twofold:

Finding cool plant/fungus monsters, as well as other creatures that fit the place thematically, to use along with the obligatory demons. So far I have:
Myconid (MMII)
Needlefolk (MMII)
Tendriculos (MM)
Bog giant (FF)
Mud golem (MMIII)
Shambling mound (MM)
Will-O’-Wisp (MM)
Hellwasp swarm (MM)

I think it would be cool to have some more swarms, or other insect or bug-like monsters.

Help on how to appropriatly design more open "wilderness' campaigns. How do I accomplish the Survival/navigation aspect? Is it just like making a dungeon outdoors? What kinds of challenges and non-combat encounters might I use to improve the game? Some help on this would be appreciated.

Mordokai
2014-06-08, 02:43 AM
Dragon 337 issue of Demonomicon featured Zuggtmoy. I'm not sure how much of use it will be to you, but it's worth a look.

If you don't have it, I'm willing to share my copy. Just send me your email address in PM.