PDA

View Full Version : Can an artifacer (or anyone realy) make a warforged familar/pet/NPC

Azraile
2014-06-08, 01:25 AM
seams they should be able too.... evechaly anyway... but is it in the game?

Spore
2014-06-08, 01:30 AM
You'd need a Creation Forge for that: http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Creation_Forge

And I think those things count as artifacts and not as your average Alchemist's Lab/Workshop.

Azraile
2014-06-08, 01:32 AM
thats a factory for making them

there no way to make them by hand?

torrasque666
2014-06-08, 01:36 AM
thats a factory for making them

there no way to make them by hand?

Talk with House Cannith. Otherwise, good luck creating sentient life. Of course they might very well say "F that noise." and alert the authorities to your inquiries and suddenly your a wanted fugitive throughout the Five Kingdoms.

Azraile
2014-06-08, 01:41 AM
what about non sentiant warforged?

Spore
2014-06-08, 01:43 AM
In Eberron goes what your DM allows. The campaign setting intentionally leaves holes in the plot for you to fill for your convenience. You don't know exactly what's overseas. You don't know what happened to Thrane/the Mournland. You don't know how Warforged work.

Those would be regular constructs.

torrasque666
2014-06-08, 01:45 AM

That's like asking to make a non-sentient human. Warforged are sentient, just like any other living race is. Dragons are sentient, orcs are sentient, gnolls are even sentient.

Unless your talking about POSSIBLY the Quorcrafted Warforged (AKA ancient prototypes made on Xendrik) from Secrets of Xendrik. But those aren't really warforged in the traditional sense.

TheOOB
2014-06-08, 02:03 AM

That's basically just making a golem, which there are rules to build. The process to create a warforge is a secret, so unless you get ahold of a creation forge you'd have to research all yourself which would likely require some serious epic level magic.

Azraile
2014-06-08, 02:34 AM
Or fixing a dead war forged and making it run again (with out a soul)

artifacer necromacy!!!!

Red Fel
2014-06-08, 09:37 AM
Or fixing a dead war forged and making it run again (with out a soul)

artifacer necromacy!!!!

There's an actual question within the setting as to whether Warforged even have souls. In any event, there are ways to make ordinary constructs which are frankly more straightforward, and probably easier.

That said, even ignoring the fact that the only (known) way to make Warforged (absent DM fiat) is with an artifact-level object (a Creation Forge), part of your question is whether you can eventually get a Warforged as a familiar or pet, and the answer to that is a great big no. Even if you could create them by the dozens, Warforged are intelligent, and thus cannot be taken as an animal companion; further, they're not on the list of familiars (or improved familiars), and thus can't be taken as such.

With regard to an NPC? That's easy. Leadership or Thrallherd. Bam, you have a Warforged minion.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-08, 09:55 AM
There's an actual question within the setting as to whether Warforged even have souls. In any event, there are ways to make ordinary constructs which are frankly more straightforward, and probably easier.

That said, even ignoring the fact that the only (known) way to make Warforged (absent DM fiat) is with an artifact-level object (a Creation Forge), part of your question is whether you can eventually get a Warforged as a familiar or pet, and the answer to that is a great big no. Even if you could create them by the dozens, Warforged are intelligent, and thus cannot be taken as an animal companion; further, they're not on the list of familiars (or improved familiars), and thus can't be taken as such.

With regard to an NPC? That's easy. Leadership or Thrallherd. Bam, you have a Warforged minion.

This is how I'd run it were I DMing for a player who wanted to build warforged. Once they got a hold of a creation forge they'd have to retrain a feat to Leadership before he could have his 'forged army.

jguy
2014-06-08, 10:12 AM
When you delve into it those creation forges are some of the most powerful artifacts in the game. Not only can it make sentient life, they can imbue or make souls too. I say this because warforged can be resurrected. A lost creation forge was a key part of my last eberron game but it was called The God Machine as it was the old version the giants had. If you remember, that is how elves exist in eberron.

Catalysis
2014-06-08, 02:59 PM
Look at the final messenger warforged component, it's not a living construct, but it has the warforged fluff:)

EDIT: source: Eb. Campaign settings p. 269

sideswipe
2014-06-08, 03:11 PM
its entirely simple.

become a 17th level vile wizard and acquire mind rape.

use mind rape on the people who hold the secrets of how to make warforged. i'm sure they will be easy to enchant.
then you will in one round learn all the secrets that you want in making war forged.

a similar thing. become a 17th level wizard. and wish for the knowledge of how to make a warforged.
or become a cleric of 17th level and miracle it.
or be of such high standard with a deity they just tell you.
become a deity of divine rank high enough to gain alter reality and make as many as you wish.
get the guy who makes warforged drunk, blind drunk and bet him he cannot teach you in a night.

see. its simple.

Red Fel
2014-06-08, 03:33 PM
its entirely simple.

become a 17th level vile wizard and acquire mind rape.

use mind rape on the people who hold the secrets of how to make warforged. i'm sure they will be easy to enchant.
then you will in one round learn all the secrets that you want in making war forged.

a similar thing. become a 17th level wizard. and wish for the knowledge of how to make a warforged.
or become a cleric of 17th level and miracle it.
or be of such high standard with a deity they just tell you.
become a deity of divine rank high enough to gain alter reality and make as many as you wish.
get the guy who makes warforged drunk, blind drunk and bet him he cannot teach you in a night.

see. its simple.

"The secret" is "owning a Creation Forge." It's not much of a secret, and it's an artifact.

Sure, they can teach you to use the Creation Forge. You still have to have access to it. And depending on the setting, even that may be impossible - for example, in some settings, the Creation Forges have been decommissioned; in others, they exist only in the theoretical lost ruins of ancient civilizations.

Building a Warforged isn't like learning how to whistle; knowing the method isn't enough. It's more like folding a paper airplane; you need to know the method and have a supply of paper. Except here the paper is an artifact whose origins are lost to history. And the artifact itself may also be lost. Or simply not exist.

What I'm saying is that we're out of paper, and someone needs to head down to the store and pick up a few reams.

Mnemnosyne
2014-06-08, 03:43 PM
Theoretically, it shouldn't be that hard to make a warforged - or at the least, something very similar. There's no particular reason why you shouldn't be able to research and create a 1HD golem, and then cast awaken construct thus producing a single creature very much like a warforged. Technically it would be better than warforged (in most ways), because it would have full construct traits instead of that living construct thing warforged have going for them.

Granted, it does require a 9th level spell, and I do believe Eberron's lore does have a distinct lack of high-level characters, so it actually makes sense that in that setting that this sort of thing is the mostly exclusive premise of the creation forges, but if you have access to awaken construct then it should be practical to do it in other ways.

torrasque666
2014-06-08, 05:27 PM
Hell Awaken Construct might have even been the spell component in the Creation Forges' creation.

unseenmage
2014-06-08, 09:20 PM
The Pathfinder Construct Creation Rules (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/magic/buildingAndModifyingConstructs.html) have a section on making Constructs priced by their CR. That should allow you to make a Warforged from scratch.

Spore
2014-06-10, 04:24 AM
Hell Awaken Construct might have even been the spell component in the Creation Forges' creation.

Not unlikely but since Eberron is quite low profile when it comes to magic not many (N)PCs even know that spell.

Inevitability
2014-06-10, 09:50 AM
If you are Epic Level, there are spells that can create souls...

unseenmage
2014-06-30, 09:21 AM
The special material Thinaun steel (CWa) can trap the soul of a creature slain with it. Could use that to effectively give your creation a soul.

Other special materials of note would be Shapesand (Sa), Livewood (ECS), Living Metal (FRCS or PGtF), and Quintessence (EPH).
It was my theory that one could weave these and possibly other materials together to make a body much akin to that of a Warforged.
Could use Animate Objects (PH) or Minor Servitor (SS) to give it motion or motion and a mind too.

supermonkeyjoe
2014-06-30, 09:55 AM
Best/easiest/most affordable way I can think of is the effigy template, create an effigy of a human or other medium humanoid and bam, pseudo Warforged for 3000gp and 80xp (IIRC) at level 6 at the earliest. You will need an awaken construct spell for it to do anything really useful though.

unseenmage
2014-06-30, 10:08 AM
Best/easiest/most affordable way I can think of is the effigy template, create an effigy of a human or other medium humanoid and bam, pseudo Warforged for 3000gp and 80xp (IIRC) at level 6 at the earliest. You will need an awaken construct spell for it to do anything really useful though.

If you have access to Dragonlance: Bestiary of Krynn then the Sacred Guardian template is a great cheap way to grant your Construct intelligence if you don't mind your Construct also being affiliated with a particular deity.

IAmTehDave
2014-06-30, 10:27 AM
If you have access to Dragonlance: Bestiary of Krynn then the Sacred Guardian template is a great cheap way to grant your Construct intelligence if you don't mind your Construct also being affiliated with a particular deity.

What are you talking about? I'm a (Capital W) Wizard. I AM A DIETY!

I wonder if what the OP meant was having an AC or Familiar crafted the same way as a warforged. So it'd be a Living Construct Tiger or something like that? Is there a template you can throw on something to make it a Living Construct, or would you just have to change the type and retain all the other features?

unseenmage
2014-06-30, 10:36 AM
What are you talking about? I'm a (Capital W) Wizard. I AM A DIETY!

I wonder if what the OP meant was having an AC or Familiar crafted the same way as a warforged. So it'd be a Living Construct Tiger or something like that? Is there a template you can throw on something to make it a Living Construct, or would you just have to change the type and retain all the other features?

Not that I have ever found.

However, the Savage Species book has some rituals in it that are intended to add or change types and subtypes. There isn't one for Living Construct but that's probably the best place to start.

torrasque666
2014-06-30, 10:37 AM
As far as I know there is no template. Living Construct is a subtype unique to the Warforged and its derivatives(Charger and Scout. Titan is a regular construct as are Scorpions due to their prototype and ancient status respectively). If you wanted to apply it to a creature other than a construct, you'd first have to make the creature a construct(probably Effigy it) as Living Construct relies on that type, even though it also overwrites almost all of its abilities.

And even then, due to its unique nature I think its limited to Creation Forges.