PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Warlock help.

m149307
2014-06-08, 02:58 AM
Ok, so I am making a warlock (ranged version) for a level 4 campaign I am in. 1 flaw is allowed, and I start with 5400 gp. it is a 30 point buy (starts at 8). Can you guys help me get started on making the warlock as it is my first time making one? Just basic stuff like which stats are needed/can be dumped, which items to get, etc would be awesome.

aleucard
2014-06-08, 03:15 AM
Immediately, I have to ask. What sources are you allowed to pull from? Also, are you allowed to get the Eldritch Claws feat for if/when someone closes in?

m149307
2014-06-08, 03:17 AM
all sources. and I think so, yes. Was planning on getting claws in case of close combat (before i can fly and do my range stuff).

Vizzerdrix
2014-06-08, 04:15 AM
Warlocks Don't really need any stat. They can function with all 8s as odd as that sounds, but a bit of dex is nice. Con is always good as is int. And you can put points into Cha but if you do then go all the way and pick invocations with saves or none at all and stick with the self buffs.

Mortal Bane is a good feat to look into. Extra Invocation when it becomes applicable. Otherwise feats to get into PrCs or for funsies.

aleucard
2014-06-08, 04:28 AM
Alright. This link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265455-The-Newest-Warlock-Handbook-3-5) will be your new best friend. If you qualify, I will HIGHLY recommend you take Chameleon for a 2-level dip; if you have any invocations that you want occasionally but would take too much space if taken normally, this is how you get them. Not to mention all the other goodies that Chameleon gets. Don't take it too far or you're less of a versatile Warlock and more of a Chameleon with Invocations.

nedz
2014-06-08, 04:46 AM
That guide is all right, but it really focuses on melee warlocks. It also ignores the fact that what Warlocks require are more options. Feats like the Fey or Fiendish Heritage feats can offer that, but you only really want the ones which grant SLAs. The main problem with these is that they compete with Extra Invocation which the guide underrates, IMHO.

aleucard
2014-06-08, 04:50 AM
You got a better Warlock guide?

nedz
2014-06-08, 05:58 AM
Hmm, well there are several but they are all similar. The main problem is that the OP wants a ranged warlock, which all the handbooks ignore because it's sub-optimal.

Kane0
2014-06-08, 06:19 AM
Level 4 straight blastlock?

Couldnt be simpler. with 30 point buy you can put in some Con and Dex for HP and hitting those touch attacks and have some left over to split where you want, probably Int for Skills, Cha for certain invocations if youre interested (and cha based skill), Str for Carry capacity or Wis for Will saves. Race doesnt matter all that much unless you're in a high OP group, in which case a blastlock wouldnt be the best choice anyway.

But anyway, eldrich spear and chain should really be the two shapes you're looking for, and brimstone/hellrime for hellfire warlock later on if you want to go that direction (make sure to nab a level of Binder to help offset that Con damage with Naberius). Other invocations are pretty much a case for case basis, try to pick the ones most appropriate for the character you envision, and try to pick a variety so your not with all buffs or all attack options like darkness and tentacles.

Oh and chameleon 2 is a great choice, as stated for that floating feat which can make you an excellent crafter with warlock 12 imbue item or extra invocation for situational ones. Don't forget to look out for vitriolic blast at higher levels too, but at level 4 your main concern should be staying out of melee with something like Spiderwalk or UMDing grease wands or something and landing those ranged touched attacks for reliable damage. Don't forget to put that UMD to good use and don't be afraid to spend soem money on some of the few warlock specific items, especially the ones that grant bonus damage like the warlock's sceptre and blast shape rods.

Edit: The straight basics:
-You need solid CON and DEX, everything else is to taste
-Race is not critical, but human is as always an excellent choice
-Grab some light armor and a simple weapon, you're a squishy but you get better options than your average mage.
-Weapon focus (ranged touch attack) may or may not be a viable feat option, but it's a start. Don't bother with point blank shot or precise shot, ranged touch attacks are easy to make after the first few levels bar very small, high dex enemies and the like.
-Make sure to use your UMD
-Pick a variety of invocations and don't forget you can swap one out every time you learn a new one. Eldritch Spear is a good start, as well as spiderwalk and beguiling influence
-For the future Hellfire warlock + Binder is a great option, as is chameleon 2. In fact i believe it is possible to do both in one 20 level build.
-Look for warlock specific items. Crack open the magic item compendium and look for warlock sceptre, chasuble of fell power and eldritch shape/essence rods.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-06-08, 11:17 AM
Level 4 straight blastlock?

Couldnt be simpler. with 30 point buy you can put in some Con and Dex for HP and hitting those touch attacks and have some left over to split where you want, probably Int for Skills, Cha for certain invocations if youre interested (and cha based skill), Str for Carry capacity or Wis for Will saves. Race doesnt matter all that much unless you're in a high OP group, in which case a blastlock wouldnt be the best choice anyway.

But anyway, eldrich spear and chain should really be the two shapes you're looking for, and brimstone/hellrime for hellfire warlock later on if you want to go that direction (make sure to nab a level of Binder to help offset that Con damage with Naberius). Other invocations are pretty much a case for case basis, try to pick the ones most appropriate for the character you envision, and try to pick a variety so your not with all buffs or all attack options like darkness and tentacles.

Oh and chameleon 2 is a great choice, as stated for that floating feat which can make you an excellent crafter with warlock 12 imbue item or extra invocation for situational ones. Don't forget to look out for vitriolic blast at higher levels too, but at level 4 your main concern should be staying out of melee with something like Spiderwalk or UMDing grease wands or something and landing those ranged touched attacks for reliable damage. Don't forget to put that UMD to good use and don't be afraid to spend soem money on some of the few warlock specific items, especially the ones that grant bonus damage like the warlock's sceptre and blast shape rods.

Edit: The straight basics:
-You need solid CON and DEX, everything else is to taste
-Race is not critical, but human is as always an excellent choice
-Grab some light armor and a simple weapon, you're a squishy but you get better options than your average mage.
-Weapon focus (ranged touch attack) may or may not be a viable feat option, but it's a start. Don't bother with point blank shot or precise shot, ranged touch attacks are easy to make after the first few levels bar very small, high dex enemies and the like.
-Make sure to use your UMD
-Pick a variety of invocations and don't forget you can swap one out every time you learn a new one. Eldritch Spear is a good start, as well as spiderwalk and beguiling influence
-For the future Hellfire warlock + Binder is a great option, as is chameleon 2. In fact i believe it is possible to do both in one 20 level build.
-Look for warlock specific items. Crack open the magic item compendium and look for warlock sceptre, chasuble of fell power and eldritch shape/essence rods.

This!

Also, if you are allowed, strongheart halfling. Gain ac, hit chance, and carry weight as all your items become 1/2 weight and you have 3/4 carry capacity. And strongheart grants an additional feat.

You'll be blasting like no one's business. Just remember when your damage doesn't quite stack up, you have an advantage on the touch ac against hard-to-hit opponents.

And like the first response, warlock isn't really stay dependent. Get some dex and some con. Easy mode.

For items, chaussible of fell power from MIC. Boosts eldritch blast damage. I forget the cost though.

Snowbluff
2014-06-08, 12:32 PM
Black Lore of Moil or Psionic Shot will also help out your damage.

I like adding Frightening Blast, Frightful Presences, and Dreadful Wrath.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-08, 12:46 PM
I'm playing a Clawlock currently and it's super fun.

Decieve Item for a 'take 10' on UMD is really great. Depending on your Cha you'll be able to use wands w/o any chance of failure by lvl 4 or 5 and thats pretty great. Anything you can't do just get a wand for it. I've been commissioning a number of wands from my wizard. Alter Self can give you some great movement and AC options. I personally would invest in point blank/precise shot but I really hate missing. I set myeslf up as the party scout/trap finder with a level of Rogue and Able Learner with Invocations to support. I'm very happy with it so far prolly not the most optimized build but its quite fun.

Eternal Wands of utility spells are a great help, you can basically have any spell if you can afford the cost of the scroll/wand. Prestidigation daily to reduce the Dwarf's smell is usually appreciated.

Blood~

m149307
2014-06-08, 02:37 PM
Ok, so I see that people think that ranged is sub-optimal. Can you explain why? (Is glaivelock better?)

Chameleon is another thing that is being suggested. I want to stay pure warlock as much as possible. (not sure if that hurts me or not, but I will go hellfire if I can).

For items, I am planned on getting:
Greater Chasuble of Fell Power (18k) permanent 2d6 eldritch
Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (2.5k) +2d6 3 times a day.
Piercer Cloak (idk) +1d6 I think.
Warlock's Specter
Ring of magical Precision
Ring of deflection
Ring of natural Armor

How much does psionic shot boost damage?

nedz
2014-06-08, 02:51 PM
E Claws give you multiple attacks because they are natural weapons. There are a number of options for improving this further.

E Glaive gives you reach and multiple iterative attacks, also there are melee feat options.

With a ranged blast you can use E Chain to get more attacks, but it's not as good and comes online later.

2 levels of Chameleon gives you a floating feat which you can spend on Extra Invocation to give you a flexible choice of options on a day by day basis. When not adventuring you can pick up an item creation feat which you can use with Imbue item (Warlock 12) to create almost any magical item.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-08, 05:31 PM
Even with Eldritch Chain you'll be doing decreasing damage as you jump targets. Claws and Glaive can double your damage output if you hit and have iterative attacks. Eldritch Claws are natural weapons so you can start adding damage as you would with any natural damage and unarmed strike damage. Glaive is still a full round action but you can get iterative attacks and some weapon feats.

Even if you optimize for Claws or Glaive it really doesn't take away from your ability to make a ranged blast so its just a solid option.

Blood~

Malroth
2014-06-08, 06:53 PM
If you're wanting to be a dedicated blaster I reccomend Elan or Xeph so you can qualify for the Psionic shot line of Feats and to later go into hellfire warlock and mitigate the damage with Strongheart vest/binder dip/Obtain familiar (raven) with a wand of lesser restoration