PDA

View Full Version : Idea:

knightsaline
2007-02-21, 12:11 AM
I thought this up a few days ago. You know how bards rely on spells with a vocal component? i want to do something like that, an arcane caster whose spells MUST have somatic components, (kind of like naruto handsigns). heres an example of a spell for the handsigner (working name)

Hidden village jutsu! thousand years of death!
level: Hnd0
components: V, S
Range: close (5 feet)
casting time: 1 swift action
spell resistance: NA (see text)
Save: fort negates
you make the handsignals required to use the spell, finishing with a pointed finger. you then yell the words "hidden village jutsu! thousand years of death!" the target then feels nausiated
the target must be flatfooted in order for the caster to use this spell. you must suceed on a touch attack. the target is nauseated when the spell is cast. A sucessful Fortitude check negates the nauseated status.
Special: if the target is wearing something solid over its backside, it is immune to this spell. this spell isn't really a spell but pushing the fingers into a vulnerable spot

anyone want to create this base class?

knightsaline
2007-02-22, 06:58 PM
heres my take on it. others are welcome to contribute.

Handsigner
Arcane power comes in many forms. some use it with songs and poetry, others treat it like an art, shaping it, some see it as a science, studying away in their towers. Some use mystical handsignals to channel the power arcane.

BAB: as Sorc
Skills: as Sorc
Languages: the handsigner gains the bonus languages Drow hand language and Draconic. both are needed to channel the arcane energies.
Saves:
Will good
Fort: bad
Ref: bad
HD per level: D6
Spells are as sorc without those that don't use a S component
Proficiencies: handsigners are proficeint with daggers. they do not have proficency with armour, as it causes them to mess up the arcane hand signals.
Spells per day are as the sorc. Wis governs their bonus spells and the potency of the spells
Restrictions: A handsigner may not take the still spell feat, for the same reason as bards may not take the silent spell feat
A hand signer may learn new spells from special scrolls for hand signers. an example is the famus hand signer Naruto Uzamaki learning the multiple shadow clone jutsu from a scroll.

How is it?

crazedloon
2007-02-22, 07:14 PM
[B]Handsigner
*snip*

If you ask me it sounds like it could be good however you would need to elaborate on the class a wee bit more :smallwink: .

However a good class ability since it is focused on S component is silent spell at level 1. And then at a higher level (potentially the one where you can normally switch out known spells) you can replace a number of spells = to your Wis bonus in each level of spells which can be of any Wiz/sorc spell except any V components are replaced by S components

just my .02

knightsaline
2007-02-25, 09:36 PM
I never said that all of the spells only have a S component, I said that all of its spells have the S component. giving silent spell at first level wouldnt work. why? you may ask. the answer is simple. metamagic spells use up spell slots/ spells per day higher than the spell it is applied to.

Should the handsigner have access to all the spells that a sorc/wiz has access to, or should they have a limited and seperate list of spells like the more vocal cousin of this class, the bard? the wizard has like 2 spells that are only for it (mages lucubration and mnemonic enhancer) I propose someone create the third part of the component trinity and create a caster whose spells require a M/F component and cannot cast spells without them (wish is the only spell that can break that rule)

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 09:43 PM
I understand that Silent spell at level 1 sounds a little stupid but Wu Jen from complete Arcane gets a meta magic feat free at level 1 which it can't use. Its more of a flavorful thing.

You may think about making it have as a class ability the ability to cast spells as if they were effected by a Sudden Silent metamagic feat. And you could make the class be able to do this a number of time equal to 1/half class level (minimum 1) + wis mod

knightsaline
2007-02-25, 09:52 PM
I have a confession to make. I just wanted to replicate the casting from naruto. The characters seemed to be able to "cast" either silently or loudly (naruto using either Shadow Clone Jutsu or Ninja Centrefold Jutsu, as an example). I even found a spell that replicates the Sharingan in Spell compendium

I am not familiar with CArc as much as I would like to be (I prefer playing as Fighters or variants of). where I live, getting D&D books are about a year behind (I tried ordering TOB:tBoNS and they said that they had never heard of it)
gods, I dislike my country. everythings a year behind here

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 09:55 PM
I have a confession to make. I just wanted to replicate the casting from naruto. The characters seemed to be able to "cast" either silently or loudly (naruto using either Shadow Clone Jutsu or Ninja Centrefold Jutsu, as an example). I even found a spell that replicates the Sharingan in Spell compendium

I am not familiar with CArc as much as I would like to be (I prefer playing as Fighters or variants of). where I live, getting D&D books are about a year behind (I tried ordering TOB:tBoNS and they said that they had never heard of it)
gods, I dislike my country. everythings a year behind here

Well i sort of guesed that much. But most of the time i believe that thier shouting and carrying on when they are using abilitys is more or less unneeded becuase you see them do abilitys silently all the time. But shouting is all for the reader/watcher.

The sudden silent is a metamagic that makes a spell silent but does not increase the spell level.