PDA

View Full Version : Original System Need System for Survival Horror custom game

Visivicous
2014-06-08, 11:04 AM
After playing D&D 4th Edition, Pathfinder, and Vampire the Masquerade, my friends and I wanted to play a straight forward zombie apocalypse type of game. After looking around at various games, we could not find any that fit what we were looking for. So, I built my own.

The first version was based heavily on White Wolf's Storyteller System, VtM era. I had to tweak it a bit, but it turned out fun to play. Still, something felt like it was missing.

The second version was based on the Omni System (a sort of D20 with modifiers on the fly). This turned out well on paper, but was a pain to play for my players. I guess throwing out a fist full of D10's is more entertaining than rolling a single D20. I eventually went back to the Storyteller System version.

The main problem with the game being based on the Storyteller System is that I cannot really share it, for critique/improvement, or for others to use. I'm not about to risk violating some copy-right stuff. What I am looking for is an open source or free to use/distribute system that is similar to the Storyteller System, in that XP is directly invested in character progression (I.E. no levels), and is based around rolling multiple dice at once. Something that I could alter, customize, and freely distribute without any ethical or legal problems.

Does anyone here know of such a system? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Visivicous
2014-06-12, 04:44 AM
If anyone with experience with a wide range of games/systems has never heard of an open source/free to distribute rules system like what I am looking for, please post and let me know. It would help me out to be reasonably sure that what I am looking for does not exist, so I can stop looking. Thanks.