PDA

View Full Version : Celia is stronger than the rest of the party?

Teapot Salty
2014-06-08, 11:16 AM
Hey guys, I noticed that in this strip: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html Celia is carrying a fully armored Roy. The rest of the order was unable to so how can she? Does she have a higher strength score than the rest of them? And as always, go nuts.

Duck999
2014-06-08, 11:21 AM
I feel like this would definitely be affected by the fact that Celia is flying. The wings are carrying at least some of the weight. Standing, she likely wouldn't be able to pick him up.

Keltest
2014-06-08, 11:27 AM
Realistically, Celia flies by magic. Theres no way her wings could provide enough lift to carry her by herself, let alone Roy.

Pokonic
2014-06-08, 11:32 AM
Given that the two of them are on the ground in the next panel, it's possible that the two of them were only up there for a short amount of time. Also, she carried him a bit during the Azure City arc, so I'll chalk it up to the fairy having a good six-foot wingspan or so and the whole 'magic' deal.

137beth
2014-06-08, 12:16 PM
I feel like this would definitely be affected by the fact that Celia is flying. The wings are carrying at least some of the weight. Standing, she likely wouldn't be able to pick him up.

If this were the real world, that would be implausible.

But since it isn't, Celia flies via Magic (tm), and walks non-magically, so she can hold more while flying than walking.

Duck999
2014-06-08, 12:18 PM
Exactly. If any other party members could fly magically, they could carry Roy just as well, if not better since their strength is probably higher.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-06-08, 12:53 PM
Sabine also is apparently very strong.

Morty
2014-06-08, 12:55 PM
This comic routinely ignores weight limits for characters carrying other characters, especially if the carrier is flying.

Gift Jeraff
2014-06-08, 12:58 PM
Realistically, Celia flies by magic. Theres no way her wings could provide enough lift to carry her by herself, let alone Roy.

"Realistically," dragons should fly via magic, but the mama dragon was able to fly in her anti-magic field.

Keltest
2014-06-08, 01:22 PM
"Realistically," dragons should fly via magic, but the mama dragon was able to fly in her anti-magic field.

Since when do dragons play by the rules?

Reddish Mage
2014-06-08, 01:32 PM

Anti-magic fields do not affect flying (which is not actually listed as a supernatural ability), nor do "magical" creatures such as undead, golems, etc stop function within them and officially these fields do not even suspend force cages. Making sense of how anti-magic fields work requires suspending everything you think you know about physics and magic, taking out a copy of Amelia Bedelia, and then reading the rules to anti-magic fields.

Ron Miel
2014-06-08, 01:33 PM
... Celia is carrying a fully armored Roy. The rest of the order was unable to so how can she?

Say what? Haley carried Roy when he was dead. What makes you think they can't ?

Keltest
2014-06-08, 01:49 PM

back in DCF, when Roy was hit by the strength poison, he was too heavy to move.

ORione
2014-06-08, 01:53 PM

This (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html), presumably. And there's this:

:belkar:: Together, we're more than strong enough to carry him back (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html).

So she was strong enough because she had Belkar's help. Although in that case, maybe they should have been able to work together to carry Roy when he was poisoned, too.

thereaper
2014-06-08, 02:45 PM
Yes, but it might have affected their fighting capability to an unacceptable extent, due to being in a dungeon of level-appropriate encounters.

Jay R
2014-06-08, 03:29 PM
The rules of this universe are based on the play of D&D. Nothing is more D&D-appropriate than ignoring encumbrance rules when you can get away with it.

b_jonas
2014-06-08, 03:39 PM
In 932, a flying Haley carries Elan. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0932.html)

Ron Miel
2014-06-08, 03:41 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html), presumably. And there's this:

:belkar:: Together, we're more than strong enough to carry him back (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html).

So she was strong enough because she had Belkar's help. Although in that case, maybe they should have been able to work together to carry Roy when he was poisoned, too.

She didn't want or think she'd need Belkar's help. She only agreed t5o let him come because of the MOJ. And as it turned out, she could carry him alone, while Belkar carried O-Chul.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html

Kish
2014-06-08, 03:47 PM
From the main forum page, this thread's title appears to be, "Celia is stronger than the..." and I keep automatically finishing it, "average bear."

Keltest
2014-06-08, 03:49 PM
From the main forum page, this thread's title appears to be, "Celia is stronger than the..." and I keep automatically finishing it, "average bear."

That is if anything more intimidating.

DaggerPen
2014-06-08, 03:50 PM
Their levels have gone up a lot since the Dungeon of Dorukan. Is it feasible that they're just stronger now?

Keltest
2014-06-08, 03:56 PM
Their levels have gone up a lot since the Dungeon of Dorukan. Is it feasible that they're just stronger now?

Roy definately is. Belkar might be. Without knowing the specifics of his prestige class, its possible, if unlikely, that Elan is. I have a hard time imagining a good reason for anyone who isn't Roy or Belkar to stick any points in str though.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-06-08, 04:47 PM
I'm reminded of this particular exchange:
:belkar:: Wait. We're tracking encumbrance now?
:roy:: Always have been, actually.
*WUMPH!*

Vinyadan
2014-06-08, 06:01 PM
Dear, it's just the power of love.

Or Roy may be jumping really high while lemonading her. (unlikely, but not impossible).

NerdyKris
2014-06-08, 06:06 PM
Its a background shot of them kissing. I think you're putting way more thought into it then Rich did. I wouldn't consider it an indication of her strength level.

DaggerPen
2014-06-08, 06:38 PM
Dear, it's just the power of love.

Or Roy may be jumping really high while lemonading her. (unlikely, but not impossible).

I am not familiar with this usage of "lemonade."

Vinyadan
2014-06-08, 06:52 PM
I am not familiar with this usage of "lemonade."

It's a pity, because it gives a whole new meaning to life throwing lemons at you :smallcool:

But really, I don't think it exists in English. It skipped. :smallbiggrin:

DaggerPen
2014-06-08, 07:07 PM
It's a pity, because it gives a whole new meaning to life throwing lemons at you :smallcool:

But really, I don't think it exists in English. It skipped. :smallbiggrin:

Ahhhh. I see. :smallwink:

Jay R
2014-06-08, 08:49 PM
Of course she is. She gave the strongest member a talisman she could break easily, and he couldn't break it, right?

Yeah, yeah, it takes electricity. Just go with the punchline, OK?

veti
2014-06-08, 08:54 PM
Celia is a sorceror, with a lot of un-revealed spells in her repertoire.

I'll just leave this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/levitate.htm) here.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-06-08, 09:19 PM
Of course she is. She gave the strongest member a talisman she could break easily, and he couldn't break it, right?

Yeah, yeah, it takes electricity. Just go with the punchline, OK?

Haley is stronger than Roy?

SoC175
2014-06-09, 03:28 AM
I feel like this would definitely be affected by the fact that Celia is flying. The wings are carrying at least some of the weight.Which makes her even stronger, since per D&D rules she could not fly while carrying more than light load

Duck999
2014-06-09, 06:33 AM
Which makes her even stronger, since per D&D rules she could not fly while carrying more than light load

...I am not well versed in D&D. Maybe Roy is obscenely thin (like stick figure thin) with layers of cloth painted like armor. That would explain him being a light load.

Or maybe, as someone said before, he jumped, and was only up for a second, but that wouldn't explain her previous flying with him.

Keltest
2014-06-09, 07:23 AM
...I am not well versed in D&D. Maybe Roy is obscenely thin (like stick figure thin) with layers of cloth painted like armor. That would explain him being a light load.

Or maybe, as someone said before, he jumped, and was only up for a second, but that wouldn't explain her previous flying with him.

Maybe she cast feather fall on him.

Darth Paul
2014-06-09, 08:42 AM
A wizard did it.

Or else, it was the tendency of the Giant to write a world based on the rules of AD&D, which nevertheless has no issue with bending or flat-out ignoring those rules if they get in the way of the story.

If we really need to explain it, we can theorize that Celia and Sabine both have minor magic items which allow them to carry a full person's weight while in flight, but just never had a reason to discuss it onscreen. Although we have also seen that the Fly spell allows the caster to carry another person along with them, which I believe is not allowed in the standard rules; so maybe this universe uses a house-rule version of the Fly spell which is also how Celia and Sabine "actually" fly?

Is that a sufficient handwave?

JustWantedToSay
2014-06-09, 10:54 AM
Races of Faerun, there is a feat called Outsider Wings, which states that they
"allow you to fly at your land speed (average maneuverabilty). A medium or heavy load that would reduce your land speed reduces your flying speed by a proportionate amount."

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-06-09, 01:40 PM
It seems like we've found several ways so far that Celia flew Roy without being stronger than the rest of the party. So, I guess the answer to the thread title is "no".

Gift Jeraff
2014-06-09, 02:16 PM
Maybe Celia's gigantism (by sylph standards) is representative of a high Str score.

dtilque
2014-06-09, 03:09 PM
Also, she carried him a bit during the Azure City arc,

It should be noted that during the Azure City flying, he wasn't wearing his armor or carrying his sword. And presumably didn't have any of the other stuff he normally carries while adventuring but is not drawn. So his weight then may have been half or less of his usual weight.

Mathalor
2014-06-09, 09:08 PM
Realistically, Celia flies by magic.

This has got to be the best sentence I've read today.

Duck999
2014-06-10, 03:57 PM
This has got to be the best sentence I've read today.

...I didn't realize that. Well, there it is. Someone using realistic magic.

Keltest
2014-06-10, 04:00 PM
...I didn't realize that. Well, there it is. Someone using realistic magic.

I take great pride in sentences that can be as serious or silly as needed without changing at all.

JBiddles
2014-06-10, 04:39 PM
Unless she has insane hummingbird-style wing flaps, or is incredibly light, Celia must fly by magical means.

In the scene, Celia doesn't have to be flying, just hovering slightly above the ground. It's conceivable that, whilst she couldn't carry him very far (represented in the D&D rules as simply being unable to fly), she can just about manage to lift him off the ground. Haley can't carry Roy, but that doesn't mean she can't drag him - this may be the flying equivalent.

orrion
2014-06-10, 08:12 PM
She didn't want or think she'd need Belkar's help. She only agreed t5o let him come because of the MOJ. And as it turned out, she could carry him alone, while Belkar carried O-Chul.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html

She didn't want or think she'd need Belkar's help because she was going to throw the body into a Bag of Holding, thus negating the need to carry him in the first place.

jamiah93
2014-06-14, 03:36 PM
Whether or not magic is involved, Im pretty sure that Celia would be unable to fly unless she actually flapped her wings. Why else would she have them? As for carrying Roy, airborne carry capacity rules are pretty much ignored outside of combat because ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

DnD allows a person to drag a whole lot more weight then they can carry, though i doubt Roy would have been too happy to be dragged across a dungeon ground.

I have a feeling that Sabine is just freakishly strong for a succubus.