PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Contingency Thread

ManInOrange
2014-06-08, 05:45 PM
Aright, familiar story:
My wizard just picked up Craft Contingent Spell

I've been looking at good things to make contingent, and I've got some basics covered

Dimension Leap (600 gp)
*30 feet, directed away from the center of the antimagic field.
When antimagic field is being cast or activated with me in the AoE

Bear's Endurance (600 gp)
When I'm put below 20% health

Dimensional Anchor (2800 gp)
When I fail a saving throw against a conjuration[teleportation] effect.

Grease (100 gp)
When I fail an opposed bull rush check

...etc....

... but something I keep seeing people mention is a contingent revivify. This is a good idea for obvious reasons, but I'm a wizard, and I don't see a way to allow a cleric help me make a contingent spell. Do I have to find a cleric with this feat, or is there something I'm missing?

Secondarily, if you have another good idea that I probably didn't think of, send it my way.

toapat
2014-06-08, 07:07 PM
Extra Spell feat. scribe it, then put it in your spellbook, then retrain. Learn ALL THE SPELLS!

Contingent Last Breath: What do you mean i died? gain all the benefits of Reincarnate with none of the downsides, In combat.

Also lets you gain the benefits of becoming Venerable multiple times.

kkplx
2014-06-08, 07:24 PM
Contingent Last Breath: What do you mean i died? gain all the benefits of Reincarnate with none of the downsides, In combat.

Also lets you gain the benefits of becoming Venerable multiple times.

You would call rolling on a table of mostly negative ability score modifiers and a random race being assigned to your PC "without the downsides"?
Oh, and Reincarnate takes 1 hour to form a new body - in the spot where you died. Probably not the best idea in combat.

Aside from that, I wish (pun intended) I'd have known of that feat earlier...druid's control wind Spell is awesome and I'd love that on my Wizard.

With a box
2014-06-08, 07:40 PM
Teleport when i cast silent Nerveskitter?

Unlike other immediate actions, you can cast this spell while flat-footed
Nobody can stop you from run away from the unwanted fight (if you care not to be in dementional lock

toapat
2014-06-08, 09:22 PM
You would call rolling on a table of mostly negative ability score modifiers and a random race being assigned to your PC "without the downsides"?
Oh, and Reincarnate takes 1 hour to form a new body - in the spot where you died. Probably not the best idea in combat.

How about you read last breath?

when i said None of the Downsides i mean None. Same race, same gender, reform instantly.

Also, you only take the physical penalties of a race you reincarnate into.

Agincourt
2014-06-08, 09:37 PM
How about you read last breath?

when i said None of the Downsides i mean None. Same race, same gender, reform instantly.

Also, you only take the physical penalties of a race you reincarnate into.

Which version of Last Breath are you reading? The version in Spell Compendium does not say anything about preserving gender or race. Instead it says no loss of level, constitution, or spells.

toapat
2014-06-08, 09:42 PM
Which version of Last Breath are you reading? The version in Spell Compendium does not say anything about preserving gender or race. Instead it says no loss of level, constitution, or spells.

if you are sticking it into a contingency you might as well Wish/Lesserwish rig the roll to go back to your original race

Agincourt
2014-06-08, 09:52 PM
if you are sticking it into a contingency you might as well Wish/Lesserwish rig the roll to go back to your original race

That's an entirely different proposition. I don't think Lesser Wish can restore the original race. The OP did not tell us what level he is, but he did say he just got access to Craft Contingent Spell. He may be a level 12 wizard. Having access to Wish is not a given and could require an additional 5,000 XP expenditure.

Twilightwyrm
2014-06-08, 11:25 PM
Extra Spell feat. scribe it, then put it in your spellbook, then retrain. Learn ALL THE SPELLS!

I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed that the Extra Spell feat does NOT work this way. It lets you get an additional spell from those you have access to, but, I don't believe, one just from another spell list.

toapat
2014-06-08, 11:34 PM
I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed that the Extra Spell feat does NOT work this way. It lets you get an additional spell from those you have access to, but, I don't believe, one just from another spell list.

Nowhere in the rules or errata does it say oyu are restricted to same spell list

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-09, 01:18 AM
Nowhere in the rules or errata does it say oyu are restricted to same spell list
The FAQ has claimed that it only works for spells on your own list. Take that for what you will. (Personally, I take it it for "it's not very useful if that's all it does," but it is a contentious enough issue not to recommend it unilaterally)

HammeredWharf
2014-06-09, 01:53 AM
Dimension Leap (600 gp)
*30 feet, directed away from the center of the antimagic field.
When antimagic field is being cast or activated with me in the AoE

Bear's Endurance (600 gp)
When I'm put below 20% health

Dimensional Anchor (2800 gp)
When I fail a saving throw against a conjuration[teleportation] effect.

Grease (100 gp)
When I fail an opposed bull rush check

Dimension Leap: How does your Contingency know an AMF is being cast? It can't make Spellcraft checks. By the rules, you either are in an AMF and can't use your spells or aren't in an AMF. There is no in-between. That's why people use tin hats. Or well, at least people on forums do.

Bear's Endurance: At that point, it's better to cast a Resilient Sphere. A few dozen HP won't help you much if you're getting beaten.

Dimensional Anchor: I wouldn't want to cast DA on myself. Aren't all teleportation spells Will-based, anyway? I don't see a reason why you'd want to use your most expensive contingency on that.

Grease: Do you mean a grapple check? Grease won't help you if you're getting bull rushed.

Suggestions:

Wind Wall / Ray Deflection: When shot by rays or arrows. Especially useful when you're going into a beholder cave or some other place with potentially nasty ranged attacks.

Teleport: When my health is below X% and I have no other Contingencies left.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-06-09, 02:05 AM
Craft Contingent Spell is an [Item Creation] feat, so there shouldn't be any problem having another spellcaster provide a spell for you, same as for any other item crafting.

ryu
2014-06-09, 02:05 AM
Change that last part to having no other contingencies left or it will never be able to activate.

With a box
2014-06-09, 02:08 AM
Is 'at will' is ligal trigger of contigency?

ryu
2014-06-09, 02:31 AM
Is 'at will' is ligal trigger of contigency?

Set it to something along the lines of when I think code-phrase X where X is a unique phrase that doesn't come up in your normal thought patterns but is easy to remember.

toapat
2014-06-09, 08:49 AM
The FAQ has claimed that it only works for spells on your own list. Take that for what you will. (Personally, I take it it for "it's not very useful if that's all it does," but it is a contentious enough issue not to recommend it unilaterally)

I cant see the authors wanting it that way. If it was just supposed to be a FVS/Sorc feat, then they could have written restrictions into the feat that made it obvious as such or only function for them. As is i can only consider the FAQ completely wrong on the intent of the feat.

Twilightwyrm
2014-06-09, 09:20 AM
I cant see the authors wanting it that way. If it was just supposed to be a FVS/Sorc feat, then they could have written restrictions into the feat that made it obvious as such or only function for them. As is i can only consider the FAQ completely wrong on the intent of the feat.

I can kind of see what you are getting at, but at the same time there is very little precedent for this line of thinking. In case it isn't clear, WotC has a bit of a habit of letting weird, vague content of questionable use pass in their books. When reading the feat, I get the feeling they were assuming a wizard might be operating under circumstances where a Magic Mart (tm) with every scroll/spellbook they could ever want is not available (not en entirely unreasonable assumption, though it still wouldn't make Extra Spell worth it as a feat).
Either way, while I know of no manner of directly gaining Revivify in this manner, I would imagine Arcane Disciple would generally be a better choice, unless you dumped your Wis. Grab the Spell Domain, and you can now contingent Revivify for the cost of one spell slot higher (Greater Anyspell). You still get what you wanted, and you don't have to waste a feat.

toapat
2014-06-09, 09:28 AM
I can kind of see what you are getting at, but at the same time there is very little precedent for this line of thinking. In case it isn't clear, WotC has a bit of a habit of letting weird, vague content of questionable use pass in their books. When reading the feat, I get the feeling they were assuming a wizard might be operating under circumstances where a Magic Mart (tm) with every scroll/spellbook they could ever want is not available (not en entirely unreasonable assumption, though it still wouldn't make Extra Spell worth it as a feat).
Either way, while I know of no manner of directly gaining Revivify in this manner, I would imagine Arcane Disciple would generally be a better choice, unless you dumped your Wis. Grab the Spell Domain, and you can now contingent Revivify for the cost of one spell slot higher (Greater Anyspell). You still get what you wanted, and you don't have to waste a feat.

While correct in what the actual line of thinking may have been, That doesnt change the fact the feat is not barred from Paladin, Ranger, Blackguard, Cleric, and Druid.

Revivify would only require lvl 15 wizard to get from extra spell

ryu
2014-06-09, 09:42 AM
Why bother with feats when you can just get party members to provide the spellcasting component as per standard item crafting rules? If no one in the party can cast the spell just pay a third party who can.

Twilightwyrm
2014-06-09, 10:14 AM
While correct in what the actual line of thinking may have been, That doesn't change the fact the feat is not barred from Paladin, Ranger, Blackguard, Cleric, and Druid.

Revivify would only require lvl 15 wizard to get from extra spell

It's not technically barred from Warmages either, but I really do not think the feat was intended for them. Again, vague, weird content of questionable usefulness. The only one of those classes that might benefit is the cleric, and then only if your DM for some reason rules that all domains are technically "on the cleric spell list".

Wait...why 15th? Revivify is a 5th level spell, meaning assuming you are right, you would only need 11th level for your wizard. And Revivify by way of Greater Anyspell, by way of Arcane Disciple, is also obtainable by 11th level, only in this case you gain five other free spells out of the process.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-09, 11:17 AM
Regarding non-Wizard spells: "It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#prerequisites)"

For survivability, try the following two contingent spells:
Indomitability if an attack that deals hp damage would reduce me below 1 hp;
Heal after the attack that triggered the above has resolved.

Another good spell to have handy is (Lesser) Ironguard, especially if you

You don't need a contingent spell for AMF, use the tin foil hat trick and keep a Dimension Door or similar prepared. Or combine the tin foil hat trick with the contingent spell if there's any chance that the AMF may be active before it can trigger, thus preventing it from going off. Also remember that you can speak the command to unshrink the tin foil hat as quickly as speaking a single word (use an obscure language + food item so you won't accidentally say it, such as the Aquan word for turnip), so it can be used to avoid capture or block line of effect for anything, or even to trap another creature inside it with you and then teleport/Abrupt Jaunt out. You can turn a pool of lava into a cloth patch and secure it to the underside of the hat, then speak that one's command word after exiting the unshrunk dome to completely submerge the creature you've trapped in lava. It works rather well for high-CR swarms, though I would include a shrunken acid pool as well in case of resistance/immunity, with a different command word of course. Be aware of what the floor is made from before you decide to activate this combo.

ManInOrange
2014-06-09, 11:57 PM
Dimension Leap: How does your Contingency know an AMF is being cast? It can't make Spellcraft checks. By the rules, you either are in an AMF and can't use your spells or aren't in an AMF. There is no in-between. That's why people use tin hats. Or well, at least people on forums do.

Bear's Endurance: At that point, it's better to cast a Resilient Sphere. A few dozen HP won't help you much if you're getting beaten.

Dimensional Anchor: I wouldn't want to cast DA on myself. Aren't all teleportation spells Will-based, anyway? I don't see a reason why you'd want to use your most expensive contingency on that.

Grease: Do you mean a grapple check? Grease won't help you if you're getting bull rushed.

1) Based on the restrictions my DM has outlined for what constitutes as "condition" for the purposes of contingencies, this seems unproblematic. The condition doesn't have to be personal ("If I see a stranger eat a sandwich"), and I don't have to even see it ("If an ally dies").
2) I banned Evocation. Bear's Endurance is 600 gp. I might as well.
3) I figured if they're taking me against my will, I'd rather be here. You make a good point with the price, though...
4) No, I meant bull rush. Grease. Area. Centered on me. Good luck pushing.
... but I feel quite dumnnn for not thinking of grapples.

Why bother with feats when you can just get party members to provide the spellcasting component as per standard item crafting rules? If no one in the party can cast the spell just pay a third party who can.

Regarding non-Wizard spells: "It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#prerequisites)"

This is EXACTLY what I needed; thank you!

You don't need a contingent spell for AMF, use the tin foil hat trick and keep a Dimension Door or similar prepared.

It just doesn't feel right :smallamused: