PDA

View Full Version : Staff of the Magi....... help

Bellberith
2014-06-08, 07:25 PM
In one of the current campaigns i play in we looted a staff of the magi....

is there any way for me to learn about this staff in game? the spells, charges, spell res, spell absorption functions in detail.

also is the effect as OP as i think it is? dropping spell res = immunity to all targeted spells on your character because it gets absorbed into the staff (as long as it doesn't get full........)

Rebel7284
2014-06-08, 07:45 PM
Isn't that what the spell Identify does?

aleucard
2014-06-08, 08:14 PM
And failing that, Analyze Dweomer. If I were DM, I'd probably just rule that the character knows how many charges are in it after having it for a couple months or ~3 serious fights, whichever is sooner.

Gavinfoxx
2014-06-08, 08:18 PM
Identify and Analyze Dweomer work perfectly fine. An Identify from a Cloistered Cleric is cheap too (no pearl).

Bellberith
2014-06-08, 09:09 PM
Identify and Analyze Dweomer work perfectly fine. An Identify from a Cloistered Cleric is cheap too (no pearl).

Staff of the Magi is an artifact though isn't it? identify and analyze both say it does not work on an artifact.

Gavinfoxx
2014-06-08, 09:43 PM
...Oh wait, it is. Hmmm. I think you might need someone with a LOT of Bardic Lore or the Cloistered Cleric (or whatever) equivalent. Legend Lore can also help, that's the main one. The Cleric spell Commune can give yes/no responses about it. The Sor/Wiz spell Contact Other Plane can give yes/no responses about it, too. Wish and Miracle can do anything the DM says they can. An appropriet (very, very difficult) Knoweledge check could give info. Gather Information might bring up legends about it...

Vedhin
2014-06-08, 09:45 PM
also is the effect as OP as i think it is? dropping spell res = immunity to all targeted spells on your character because it gets absorbed into the staff (as long as it doesn't get full........)

Not really. Smart casters will figure out they should just drop heavy objects on you/cause earthquakes/summon/other indirect spells.

Gavinfoxx
2014-06-08, 09:51 PM
Infinite spell resistance (ie, the so called 'spell immunity') is not blanket immunity to magic.

Not by a long shot.

Nor is even 'infinite spell resistance, while being in the middle of an antimagic field'.

There are a ton of spells which would completely ignore that. Conjurers wouldn't even blink, provided they were casting from outside the antimagic field itself.

RedMage125
2014-06-08, 11:44 PM
Legend Lore will identify artifacts, right?