PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Roleplaying advice plus Warblade build advice.

Yael
2014-06-08, 09:15 PM
I just started a new game with a couple of friends. The game has a lot of new players (my gf for example), so it's not a high powered campaign for any purpose; however 32pb was used and standard WBL (plus a little "whatever you want by our DM, nothing exceding 1k gp.)

Anyway, the campaign is based on Dark Souls (I haven't played it, but our DM loves it), something relevant to state, is that there is no C/S/G/P piece currency, it's all moved by souls; this shouldn't be a problem except for the fact that there is also NO experience points involved in the entire game, again souls will be used for any exp uses, such as leveling up. Every item cost is at the same, if somethings costs 4000gp (such as a belt of giant's strength +2) costs the same amount on souls, and if you needed 4000 exp to level up from 3rd to 4th, 4000 souls are needed. So I found a soul that was worth 5000 souls and immediatly expended it to level from 3rd to 4th (just at the start of the game.)

Now, I'm playing the tank-fighter role, our party consists on:

Star Elf Sorcerer 3.
Lesser Aasimar Druid 3.
Human Ranger 3.
Magic-Blooded (fey something) Human Bard 3.
And me, the Snow Elf Warblade 2 / Kensai Fighter 2.

My build is nothing especialized nor optimized, for our games, the Weapon of Choice that the Kensai variant offers counts as Weapon Focus for the designated weapon, so it may be changed via Weapon Aptitude (Warblade), this was houseruled. I also got (because of my background) the Embrace + Shun the Dark Chaos combo to get rid of those feat proficiencies and get some stuff that I may use. The feats I currently own are: [Lv1] Combat Expertise | [Flaw] Weapon Focus (Handaxe) | [Elf] Adaptive Style | [Elf] Power Attack | [Elf] Quick Draw | [Elf] Improved Trip | [Lv3] High Sword Low Axe | [Fighter] Two-Weapon Fighting.

My gear consists on a Breastplate, a Shield, a +1 Bastard Sword, a Composite bow +3, and a MW Handaxe. Of course, my main combat mode is wielding the Bastard Sword and the Handaxe to fight, I went Warblade 1/Fighter 2/Warblade +1 to get level 3 maneuvers, so I have: [Diam] Moment of Perfect Mind (Counter) | [Tiger] Sudden Leap (Boost) | [Tiger] Wolf Fang Strike (Strike) | [Diam] Emerald Razor (Strike), and my stance is: [Iron] Punishing Stance. I will be a jack-of-all trades in terms of fighting, using diferent weapons (maybe enhancing the bastard sword with the Morphing enhancement, and changing the aptitude everyday, even exotic weapons.) I know that this might not be working, but was houseruled to do so, so I'm like :smallbiggrin:

I'm planning to take two more levels on Warblade, then going Bloodclaw Master 4 and Eternal Blade 10. I WILL take Eternal Blade (backstory based), but I don't know if Bloodclaw Master is good, I was pretending to extend my fighting style towards the end of the game (using High Sword Low Axe), but I don't know if BC Master is good with EBlade, also, I'm trying the Jumpomancer (was called that way?) by abusing Jump to extra damage oponents.

That's one part of my thread, is Warblade 1 / Kensai 2 / Warblade +3 / Bloodclaw Master 4 / Eternal Blade 10 good? Or might I change it?

The other part is: what has a higher priority (in your opinion) spending souls in? Leveling up or buying items?

Val666
2014-06-08, 09:48 PM
I dont know how that soul system is going to work but seems funny.

As for the build try to convince your DM to fluff the Valenar Elfs fro your Snow Elf so you can qualify for the Revenant Blade prestige.
I did this once in a campaign, my pj was a Snow Elf prince but his kingdom was destroyed by Frost Giants. Then, a Valenar Elf Lord took him under his wings and trained him with the Valenar Double Scimitar.

So the build: Warblade 5/ Revenant Blade 5/ Eternal Blade 10

Since you are using Snow Elf which comes from Dragon Magazine 155# grab the Flexible Mind feat from Dragon Magazine 326# so you can qualify for Revenant Blade at level 5. Revenant Blade and Eternal Blade mesh so well for a "ancestor or past" background. Really.

You'll be using the double scimitar all the time and you'll see how Revenant Blade capstone catches your eye ahhaha check it out.

If you like this just message me for more information about the build :B hope this helps

As for equipment, the double scimitar have two ends that can be enchanted separately, make use of that. stick to Light-Medium armor and find a way to FREAKING FLY (:

For the improtance of items or leveling up, talk with your party members. Try to state a good time to level up at the same time so no one gets left behind. With that, you can safe enough points for the leveling time stated and spend the rest on items

Tibbit Tamer
2014-06-08, 10:42 PM
Ahhhh experience as currency. I've played a campaign like this before. It was terrible. Your DM sounds accommodating though so there is that. The problem with this kind of system is that to face greater challenges, the CRs of monsters take into account both your level, and your accumulated wealth. So unless your DM is altering challenges you're gonna have a bad time. In my campaign, I personally spent XP for levels although I was playing a class that could get away with less items, for a martial class like yourself I can only say keep it even.