PDA

View Full Version : Quick Warhammer 40K Question

Wehrkind
2007-02-21, 03:54 AM
Can a model be equiped with two pistols? Say a Space Marine Sgt with two bolt pistols, or a plasma pistol and bolt pistol?

I don't see anywhere where you can't have both if you can buy them points wise, but I don't see how you would fire them without using the "twin linked" option Seraphim have, which also throws a curve on two different types of pistol.

Kyrsis
2007-02-21, 04:01 AM
I'm not sure for Space Marines specifics, but speaking from (old) generic codex knowledge it should tell you under the troop options your different choices as far as weapons, saying something like bolt pistol for xpts or plasma pistol for xpts. This is just from what I remember. Hopefully someone else can help you better, but I tried...

starwoof
2007-02-21, 04:30 AM
You cant have 2 of the same sort of wargear and count it as such. You can however equip a model with two pistols and count it as a pistol and a close combat weapon. You can also give a model a bolt pistol and plasma pistol or something, though I don't see why you'd want to.

Destro_Yersul
2007-02-21, 04:31 AM
Yes, you can. However, there is little point to doing so other than appearance, as an infantry model may only fire one weapon per shooting phase. Pistols do count as an extra close combat weapon, so you'd still get an extra attack for it in close combat. Gunslinger models look very cool though, and sergeants get a bolt pistol and close combat weapon free anyways, so I say go nuts. :smallsmile:

Oh, and to ^: Pistols and such are Weapons. Wargear is a different category. So what you said is indeed true for Wargear, but not for Weapons, of which a pistol is one. Therefore, you can legally have two bolt pistols.

Wehrkind
2007-02-21, 04:57 AM
Ahh k, that makes sense. I suppose it might be beneficial to have a bolt pistol and a plasma, and only use the plasma when the enemy's armor warrented, to avoid damage.

Or to look cool (plans to paint "Master Chief" as a Sgt.)

Thanks to everyone who answered!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-21, 01:01 PM
You need to be A. Seraphim or B. Cypher to fire two pistols at once. Otherwise one's a close combat weapon but it would possibly do the pistol's damage in melee. I think Hand Flamers are now always close combat weapons (rather than the diddy little template that could only hit 1 or 2 halves of a model) but Witchhunters may have changed that,

Narmoth
2007-02-23, 06:54 AM
Can a model be equiped with two pistols? Say a Space Marine Sgt with two bolt pistols, or a plasma pistol and bolt pistol?

I don't see anywhere where you can't have both if you can buy them points wise, but I don't see how you would fire them without using the "twin linked" option Seraphim have, which also throws a curve on two different types of pistol.

This really depends onwhat you expect them to do. If you want to have a bolter and also have a plasma-gun attack, you could have a sergeant with terminator honours and combibolter, you can also have a stormbolter on a sergeant with terminator honours.
If you want a pistol and a close combat weapon, and want that close combat weapon to also be a pistol, it's okay to have a "gunslingermodel", but you only get 1 attack when ranged, and you get only the 2 weapons bonus on close combat, not the damage of 2 pistols. (how you attack in close combat has nothing to do with your missile weapon, only with your models strength and close-combat stats.
I think you can have generals with 2 different missile weapon, but I'm not shure, as my army is very close-combat focused.

Darion
2007-02-23, 05:20 PM
Sure you can:)

At ranged, you'd pick one of the two to fire each shooting phase. In close, you'd benefit from the +1 attack w/ 2CCW.

The versatility could potentially be very useful, based on what your opponent is playing (shoot the gaunts with the bolt pistol to not risk an overheat, use the plasma to get past the 'fex's save).

Plus, it could be a good looking model.

Wehrkind
2007-02-28, 04:51 AM
Witch hunters made Seraphim's two flame pistols Twin Linked and use the normal flame templet. Very hot.

Side question, what is generally the point of two handed weapons? I noticed some have specific properties (Eviserators, Blessed weapons) but some others I don't understand why you would take instead of a close combat weapon. Am I missing a general rule about them somewhere that isn't covered in a Codex explicitly?

Destro_Yersul
2007-02-28, 05:10 AM
Most two handed weapons have additional rules, as detailed in the appropriate codes. For example: A bolter and bolt pistol have the same strength and AP value. The bolter is two handed, and has a longer range. The bolt pistol is one handed with a shorter range and can be used as a close combat weapon during the assault phase.

Bryn
2007-03-01, 04:52 PM
Remember, you can't charge after firing a pistol twice. It is effectively 1 shot at half the maximum range of a bolter. IIRC you can't fire twice with a pistol if you move as well, but that may very well be wrong.

For a shooting squad, especially with a heavy weapon, I would certainly take a bolter - if it has a heavy weapon it will be staying still anyway, so you can use the extra range (which is pretty essential if you want to hit something without moving). If a squad is meant to get into assault, then I'll give it pistols if possible.

Mael
2007-03-01, 05:35 PM
Side question, what is generally the point of two handed weapons? I noticed some have specific properties (Eviserators, Blessed weapons) but some others I don't understand why you would take instead of a close combat weapon. Am I missing a general rule about them somewhere that isn't covered in a Codex explicitly?

If you mean close combat weapons, there is the generic +2 str rule that applies unless there's specific rules for the weapon. Same as WHFB.

Narmoth
2007-03-02, 06:00 AM
Most two handed weapons have additional rules, as detailed in the appropriate codes. For example: A bolter and bolt pistol have the same strength and AP value. The bolter is two handed, and has a longer range. The bolt pistol is one handed with a shorter range and can be used as a close combat weapon during the assault phase.

or you could buy true grit to the squad and give them bolters and close/combat weapons, making them ideal against armies like tyrranids, where you fire at them with 2 shots a round while they try to close in on you, and then aren`t inferior in close combat either, while at the same time you can fight effectively against ranged attack - preffering armies like tau.
To be really devastating, you can give the sergeant a combiflamer that helps you out in the start of the close-combat. Plasmaguns are also helpfull both against close and more far away targets.

Mr. Moon
2007-03-02, 11:19 AM
Actualy, this brings up a question I've been wanting to know: Can Genestealers be equiped with Rending Claws and Scything Talons?