PDA

View Full Version : In-Game Music suggestions/recommendations

atomicwaffle
2014-06-09, 12:24 AM
So, i like using youtube to play songs/playlists/full albums during sessions (just to have something going in the background for a few hours while we play). Thing is, i don't know that much epic fantasy music/soundtracks. I've done 1982 Conan, Lord of the Rings, Final Fantasies 6 and 9, Warcraft and Starcraft music.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Ailowynn
2014-06-09, 12:31 AM
The soundtracks of four movies and four videogames are enough? Are you dedicated to never re-using anything, or what? :smallbiggrin::smallconfused:

Anyway, the LotRO soundtracks are also pretty good, and Star Wars often gets overlooked--just because it's in space doesn't mean it's not fantasy! And aside from that . . . a quick YouTube search for "epic fantasy music" brings up quite a few results, which seem to be pretty high-quality.

atomicwaffle
2014-06-09, 09:50 AM
typical session lasts 4 - 7 hours. Conan soundtrack is an hour, war2 is an hour, FF6 and 9 are 3 hours respectively. That's about one session, sir. Lotr is about 3 hours. starcraft is again, 1 hour. Warcraft 3/wow is a lot longer, but i want to avoid references to those games, part of the whole d&d is not WoW.

Juantanamo
2014-06-09, 10:00 AM
Check out Ocremix.org. They have fan-created remixes of all your favorite old video games. (and some new ones too)

They have many, many good options for you that can evoke both nostalgia and pretty much any mood you want. Might I suggest starting with Chrono Trigger ('Chrono Moonstone' is a superb melodic) and the various FF installments (Trail of Blood is ambient evil)? 'Trigger, Please' mixes Chrono with FF in the best possible way. The Super Metroid ST by Protricity is excellent and very moody/creepy. Those are just some off the top of my head as I'm not in front of my playlists.

After some listening you'll figure out which artists fit your games and moods the best. There's a cadre of about a dozen really good artists contributing, IMO. This option takes a little more time as I DL each song (which are free) and make my own playlists.

It's an option.

HammeredWharf
2014-06-09, 10:02 AM
Dark Souls 1&2 both have solid soundtracks, although those games use music almost exclusively during boss battles. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX51T-EipOo) Divine Divinity has a fantastic soundtrack with lots of variance. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkb-450Av8M&index=8&list=PLF83209B8D42B26DB) Age of Wonders 2 has some great music, too. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SsdAI9tkDg&list=PL875662728231FD7C)

gorfnab
2014-06-09, 02:34 PM
Ancient FM (http://www.ancientfm.com/) - Medieval and Renaissance music, decent for just background music.

JellyPooga
2014-06-09, 02:37 PM
The music from Planescape: Torment is awesome, but you have to tailor it somewhat to the situation; it's very varied!

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind also has very good atmospheric music.

Droningbass
2014-07-07, 10:53 PM
I would recommend a few composers that you could look up on Spotify, Pandora, or Youtube as well. They make excellent background music, all have tons of compositions, and are usually pretty easy to leave running once you get them started up. Here are some of my favorites for RPG background music:
-Johannes Brahms
-Antonio Vivaldi
-Johann Sebastian Bach
-Peter Tchaikovsky
-Benjamin Britten (I would avoid his operas, they're a bit dark... stick with his ballets and symphonic works)
-Ralph Vaughn Williams
-Bedich Smetana
-Antonin Dvorak
-Howard Shore
-John Williams
-Aaron Copland
-Leonard Bernstein
-Johannes Ockeghem (if you're looking for a monastic setting, or dealing with undead)
-Claudio Monteverdi
-Jean Sibelius
-Richard Wagner
-Krzysztof Penderecki (great for combat or really eerie campaign settings)
-Giuseppe Verdi (mostly opera, but his Requiem is outstanding for background music and combat)
-Robert Schumann
-Franz Schubert
-Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
-Franz Joseph Haydn
-Alfred Reed

That should serve as a good starter list. I hope that this helps!

AlanBruce
2014-07-08, 03:03 AM
Depends on what mood you're looking to instill for certain parts of your campaign.

If you have time, check out the NieR soundtrack, particularly Deep Crimson Foe and Dark Collosus Destroys All- both very good when facing 'boss type' encounters.

When in social scenarios, Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" soundtrack has some very good baroque pieces that can fit quite well when dealing with nobles or walking into some fancy ball.

As stated above, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and others are really good as well. Of note is Lost Odyssey's OST, composed by the same guy that did the early FF soundtracks, Nobuo Umetasu.

Ken Murikumo
2014-07-08, 08:27 AM
kammarheit for creepy dungeons & Sephiroth (draconian poetry) for battles and more exploring eerie places

BWR
2014-07-08, 09:29 AM
Soundtracks from the various D&D games like Baldur's Gate 1&2, icewind Dale 1&2, Planescape: torment, Neverwinter Nights

Agincourt
2014-07-08, 10:45 AM
Some soundtracks I have used for D&D:

Gladiator (personal D&D favorite; some the best battle music)
The Last of the Mohicans (very good battle music too)
Elizabeth (very Renaissance feel)
Dances with Wolves
King Arthur
13th Warrior
Empire of the Sun
Henry V (Kenneth Branagh version)

Depending on the mood you want to create, I've had good luck with these. The music tends to me late middle ages or early Renaissance with a European focus. I also have mixed in bagpipe music, which started out okay, but quickly wore thin. A little bit goes a long way.

Rethmar
2014-07-08, 10:54 AM
Check out Two Steps From Hell, you can listen to a few songs on youtube to see if you like it.