PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Redeemer E6 class

mikalsaltveit
2014-06-09, 02:05 AM
Greetings everyone! My name is Mikal Saltveit and today I am pleased to present to you the Redeemer, a class for Pathfinder E6. In summary a cross between Jesus and Ash Ketchum.

http://saltve.it/Redeemer.pdf

In a party the Redeemer functions primarily as the party face, but also offers support both in and out of combat.All abilities have been carefully considered to not step on the toes of other support like the Bard or Cleric. The Redeemer's abilities in general stack on top of other classes and do not interfere with the actions of other players.

Teachings are important choices for the class, and should drastically change how it is played. I think 4 choose two, creating 6 possible sets, is enough to balance. I would especially appreciate help balancing these and/or making them equally interesting.

Part of the theme of this class is that he rejects the existing systems of both Magic and the Divine and forges his own path towards divinity. This can be part of the campaign, or it can be restricted to the character's personal story. There is no reason for the character to shove their burgeoning divinity in the face of the world, and even in a world without established Gods they can still make sense. Perhaps he is the first being to obtain godhood? Or perhaps his godhood is merely control over reality, in the vein of a wizard or sorcerer.

The 6 levels of class progression are spent gathering followers and growing their influence in the world. After this Deification begins and the Redeemer gains increasing control over reality through their massive charisma and force of personality.

First I have some points to make

1) I balanced the class against the Pathfinder Summoner by taking each of their class features, including BAB and Saves, and calculated the cost in gold it would take to produce that same effect. Its not perfect but I feel pretty good about their total power being equivalent at level 6.

2) Level 5 only looks like a "dead levels" because the increase in power level from a HD3 Follower to a HD4 is about the difference between Summon Monster 2 and Summon Monster 3. Because I am counting the Follower as a continuous spell item, with a normal duration in rounds, that's a huge bump in gold cost.

3) I am very focused on not breaking the game. I want the class to be balanced and fun, offering enough choices during combat and non-combat to keep the player interested, but also not overpowered to the point where other players feel useless.

4) How does this process differ from the Mythic progression? I find the Mythic paths to be too much power too fast. It also misses a key component of any deity, followers. In many stories/worlds the deities power are tied to their followers. That is a cool concept that I really want to explore.

5) How does this differ from the Leadership feat? The problem most often expressed with Leadership is that it creates a paperwork headache for the GM. The second problem is that players will often take it to "cheat" and get more power than they could otherwise for a single feat. The Redeemer addresses those points by being balanced around having a follower at all times. Followers are exactly their monster stat blocks, with minor Template changes.

So what do you think? Is the class balanced? Would you play it? What changes would you suggest to make it more fun or balanced?

Thanks for reading!
-Mikal Saltveit

p.s. Please note the entire Apotheosis section is a giant mess. I want to focus first on the 6 levels of class progression before I move on.