PDA

View Full Version : Sun's Hunters - Team B

Pages : [1] 2

Sliver
2014-06-09, 04:14 AM
Underground, the Scaled Queen sleeps as her generals plot. The Scaled Sunguise, as he dares call himself, will pay for this insolence. The Scaled are not one. The Sunguise of Dragons dares to take over the surface and the sky, while the Queen of Snakes is forced to retreat underneath. Finally, an opportunity for an alliance. The Naga will serve well as elite soldiers. The Yuan-Ti will rise and Merrshaulk will be proud. Yessssssssss.

A small village overlooking an eternal lake. The water is pure and calm. The lands are rich and the farms' yield is great. Only three generations old, yet prospers... Yet a boy is gone from Evercoot and the people are at a loss. They are afraid of the fate that fallen upon him, but their only ranger can't be sent out to find out, for he is the only protector of the village, unstable as he is.

A band of orcs is led by a mysterious hand, attacking travelers. Their blood thirsty shouts haunt the dreams of the villagers near the southern border, where the raids are most common. They challenge the Sunguises, but so far go unpunished. A woman, clothes torn, is pushed into the center of the mess of a camp, sloppily and hastily set. She holds the bundle of crying cloth to her breasts, trembling in the cold, sweat covering her skin and making the orcs even more hungry.

The flames die down and the drake comes out trotting, happily carrying a burnt hand.

The Castle of Scales

The Scaled Sunguise, the Lord of Dragons, the Final Breath. It's a honor to serve such a force. The Champion of Tiamat they say. Of course, the Lord is enough. Everybody knows the Lord. Shame nobody knows his name. Perhaps Lord is his name?

Your application was accepted. They took you to the castle, subjected you to many spells and divinations. Your soul lay bare and vulnerable. Why haven't you heard from them since? You are supposed to be a glorious Scaled Hunter now! And yet, nothing.

Your cool was at a breaking point after a week when finally, you were taken back to the castle.

Five more. Were they the reason it took so long for you to be invited back? You were chosen, you are great. You are the best. Nobody would hesitate to take you as a Hunter, but perhaps the delay was because of them? They must be weaker... You will have to pull all the weight so that your reputation isn't hurt by them.

A small, scaled, orange hued draconic creature, a young ambush drake, scuttles across the marble floor of the hall. A kobold is rushing after him. "Please, please, slow down! You must wear the slippers or you'll scratch the floor!" The kobold exclaims, waving four pink wool socks. No wonder the drake rushes away.

The dragon weaves between a pair of legs and a boot comes crashing into the kobold, knocking him a few feet back and on it's behind. "Leave him alone, you moron." The man, Garrin, says. You recognize him. He was one of the men examining you. He would know everything about you. Everything.

The kobold scurries off looking miserable and mumbling something about scratched marble and Garrin turns to examine you. He wears a suit of red ironwood breastplate and a large battle axe is strapped to his belt. His bored red eyes pass through you as if you were nothing. Light blue tattoos in draconic seem to blaze lightly, announcing his high status. His black hair seems to fight against the restrains of a piece of string that tries to make some order in the mess.

"So you are the new bunch of Scaled Hunters, huh?" He says, as if he didn't know. "Well, try not to die too often." He shrugs. Well, at least he believes in you!

"Now then, I trust you all know the terms of the contract so I won't go about that nonsense anymore than necessary. Here is your gear." He says and throws a pouch at Abant. "You know the drill, hand them each a badge and a token."

As the guide gives each of you a small scaled stone egg that seems to catch the light and glow in many colors, and a badge with an image of a dragon of everchanging color and nature, Garrin continues. He seems to be eager to be done with you. "The egg is your token. All Scaled Hunters carry this token, other Hunters have different tokens. The tokens are what identifies you to other Hunters. Don't bother with the badges unless you want a fight. The badges can be forged, but the tokens are a secret that only the Hunters know about. The badges you use to get the public attention, fear and respect. It can be less fun and you'll have a hard time being sneaky with them around in the open, so choose your approach yourself. And the last thing is that egg." He motions to an egg with a small hinge on it that Abant has opened. It's empty inside.

"The egg is connected to one I'll be carrying. Anything you find of interest to the Lord, stuff it in there and I'll get it. In return, I'll send gold to you and you'll pick it out from the egg." He waves a hand dismissively. "If you have any questions, I honestly don't care, but I'm your contact so I have to answer and be supportive or whatever. Try to make it quick though."

The drake nudges Garrin. "Right, right. I'm sure you heard of the orcs at the southern border. If you want, you can check out the issues there and punish them. Otherwise, you can stumble through Gratia to find anything interesting to do..."

Erik Vale
2014-06-09, 05:38 AM
Abbant juggles things around in his hands, eventually such that in one are all the tokens, another all the badges, one his big bag of gear 'I bet it's all crap or stuff to mock me. But it's light, so probably a bag of holding.' are the few thoughts he has as to the gear, and another holds the egg.

"Does the egg do anything special in magical spaces, like blow up? I'd rather not put it in a bag one day only to become irretrievable."

Meanwhile, he turns to the new hunters, appraising them as he moves down their line, giving them a badge and token.

Sliver
2014-06-09, 05:50 AM
Garrin balances his egg container on his index finger. "No." He says and lets it slip into his palm. The drake tries to climb on Garrin's leg, but before his claws have a chance to dig into Garrin's trousers, the man shoves him off without a glance. "No." He says again.

Erik Vale
2014-06-09, 05:56 AM
Without further word, Abbant opens his bag, and puts the egg in his bag, moving along the line.
"Good. Then should Rampage be where I requested, I think the orcs are finally due a response."

Abbant's voice may sound flat, but in truth he almost eagerly want to get back into Lord's good...er graces. That and it would test the other hunters.

Lexin
2014-06-09, 06:16 AM
Allain takes her egg and badge, with a satisfied look on her face. She hides both in one of the many pockets hidden in her cloak, smiles cheerfully and turns around to look at her new teammates. 'How...colorful...' she thinks only before looking again at Garrin.

"You say that every hunter recognizes the tokens, is there some kind of trick to recognize a token for what it is?" she asks in a soft tone "Do they have any magical properties we should know about?"

When she hears one of her new teammates speaking up, she glances at him and says:
"First things first, my friend. Rushing into action without a second thought is not the best way to accomplish anything.
What we need is information. About other tasks we could accomplish." *pause* "About the orcs, if we choose to take care of them."
*pause and a playful smile*
"And what's most important, about ourselves. So we are a better team... and not die too often, as was so kindly requested"

"I am Allain Se'Arra, pleasure to make your acquaintance." she says finally and looks at other expectantly.

Arilus
2014-06-09, 06:39 AM
Accepting the badge and the token, Irthosirthir examined both while listening to the contact and her new companions. Though she maintained her composure as she had trained herself to, she was feeling antisocial as she still had not fully recovered from the magical violation of her mind. Deception was her first line of defense, and she no longer had any secrets from her new masters. Unruly orcs were unlikely to be interesting, but fortunately one team member had a discerning mind.

Ignoring the implicit request for introductions for the moment, Irthosirthir chimed in: "I agree with Allain. Do you have any more details on these orcs, or information on any other place we might want to investigate?"

Pocketing the badge which did not plan to use, she hoped Garrin would answer the queries on the egg she was still eyeing. If not, she could always use her magic after they left to satisfy her curiosity. Once she was out of the castle with a quarry in mind, she should be back to her old playful self.

Erik Vale
2014-06-09, 06:57 AM
Abbant tilts his head ever so slightly as he looks at Allain.
"I am 98, have outlived one team by age, another by pure luck, and eager to leave these halls where we can introduce each other over something that doesn't taste like gruel, preferably a moment after looking at and donning the gear I've been gifted in exchange for my tale... But the questions are wise despite my wish."
After having handed out everything Abbant will take his place at the line, his mood as to the place well and truly established.

Sliver
2014-06-09, 06:59 AM
Garrin continues to ignore the drake as it nudges him to play and after giving up, it sniffs the air and walks to Irthosirthir. It seems to consider for a moment before speaking in Draconic. "Play catch?"

"Each of the Sunguises has it's own token which symbolizes their own nature, but the tokens aren't magical. Nobody besides a Hunter would think they are anything more than a well crafted piece of... Well, junk." Garrir shrugs. "So I doubt anyone besides a Hunter will be going around waving random objects while claiming to be a Hunter. If someone claims to be a Hunter and holds out something random, then he is likely to be telling the truth and isn't outright hostile. If someone claims to be a Hunter while showing the badge, he is an impostor. That's why the tokens are a secret. They would mean nothing if everybody knew about them."

Turning to Irthosirthir, Garrir shrugs once more. "The orcs are dancing by our borders with the Sea Region, but no word came from the border patrols. Either they are dead, or the orcs are managing to evade them somehow. The only reason word got out is because some novice sage got a vision and when we checked, the villages that he pointed out were indeed razed. He could be wrong about the orcs, but... Well, it's the problem of those who are going to try and deal with them, not mine."

Sønderjye
2014-06-09, 07:12 AM
Frankly the delay was expected. As any master manipulator the Lord was clearly sending a message saying "I am the one in control". In any other person it would have created a feeling of insecurity and even fueled the desire to prove themself. Or perhaps the Sunguise was even more sly and hoped to plant doubt of the other hunters in him so the group wouldn't forge an alliance against him.

These were considerations that Niel made before entering the castle. As he enters the ballroom he remembers his how suprised he was when he first saw it. Based on the terrifying rumors that he had heard about the Lord he expected the door to be made as a giant dragon's mouth with much more scale-related disturbing decoration and the marble floor to be made out of scales. And he hadn't even got a chance to see Lord so he had no idea how he was going to go about this. But this was only the first step of many..

Niel enters the room sitting on a iron chair with a back having a pointy end. He is carried by 4 figures whose face is hidden behind a cowl. His dressed in his red robe and if it wasn't for the burning red eyes of his one would presume him to be a well-made statue. His raven isn't quite as static and looks curiously around from his shoulder. He had made sure to remove the webs this day to slightly more as if he cared about his appearance.

Interesting he thinks as Garrin throws the pouch to Abant. That seemed very familiar. Perhaps there is a connection between those humans he wonders as the figures put his chair down.
Light Armor, no spellpouch or holy symbol and a pretty sword. Unusually many arms he judges as one of the cowl-wearing figures accepts the badge and the token from Abant and puts it in a small bag beside Niel. Not a sneak, they tend to carry multiple weapons although he could be hiding them. He silently debates Perhaps be a self-taught mage.
When he hears the part about being 98 he adds. This one could be of use.

He decies to add his oppinion to the debate. Munin shakes it's head before opening it's mouth and with a suprisingly pleasant voice it says Master approves the orc-cleansing.

When Allain starts to talk a pair of fiery red eyes move to look at her. Light armor, no spellpouch or holy symbol. He thinks not able to see the holy symbol Allain carries in her bag Both a bow and an sword, could be a ranger but I see no pet. But with that fancy clothing she looks prepared.
So this one wants to be the leader He thinks before ordering the raven to do a proper presentation to the short changeling. Master's name is Niel and this one's name is Munin. It is our pleasure Allain Se'Arra. it says with what probably is supposed to be a elegant bow.

An unarmored one this time, A puny weapon but those claws look sharp. He notes Definitely a caster but which kind? She seems very familiar with the small changeling but that could just be a facade. I'm not familiar with that race, an exotic one? or perhaps a crossbreed. Perhaps someone like me? He feels a small glimps of hope when he thinks the last part but quickly hiding it, not allowing himself such a foolish hope.

Arilus
2014-06-09, 08:22 AM
As the drake approached Irthosirthir, the scantily-clad half-breed knelt down and ran a taloned hand over its head, wondering whether it was visual or olfactory cues of her draconic blood (or both) that led the drake to choose her over anyone else in the room. She examined it while taking a bolt out of her quiver and removing the sharp tip. She had never seen an ambush drake before, nor did she know what she was looking at, but it was not built like one would expect a dragon to be and there was something odd about how it spoke, almost like it was accustomed to another mode of communication. She did feel a bit of unusual tenderness towards the it and tossed the now-blunt bolt for the drake to fetch while continuing the conversation, oddly starting to feel more like herself.

"Interesting. Orcs somehow managing to operate with impunity. Perhaps it is worth checking out." Turning her gaze from the excited drake to Allain, she decided to reciprocate the introductions. "I am Irthosirthir, though you may call me whatever you wish if it is too hard to pronounce." It was oddly comforting to be able to tell someone new her favored alias after her birth name had recently been torn from her mind.

Irthosirthir had a feeling Garrin was telling the truth about the token and badge being mundane, but she was still going to check once she was no longer being scrutinized by the agent of the Lord. She was also starting to wonder about this Niel. She was accustomed to mages having familiars, but she had never encountered one that delegated speaking duties to a familiar.

Erik Vale
2014-06-09, 08:46 AM
"It sounds like someone was stuck on the ir sound when they were busy naming you. Garrin, if we may be excused I'd like to meet my new companions. If I'm right, the Gilded Cage is still open? They serve well if at high prices."

Local: [roll0] [Likely Orc Tribes, Acceptance/use of wizards etc]
Local: Take 10 for 21 [CoS] [Orc Statblock]
Geography: [roll1] [The Sea Region Borders terrain]
Nobility [roll2] [Orc Leaders]

Hah, 18, 18, 3.

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-09, 12:45 PM
Valeria accepted the egg and token with a grave expression on her face. The egg was quickly stored in a belt pouch while the badge found its place next to an existing one, marked with the symbol of a spindle, on her surcoat. Patiently she waited until there was a lull in the conversation before speaking up. "You should not be so hasty" she started at Abbant. "As.. Allain says, we should not rush into things so quickly. Unlike you i don't intend to outlive any of my fellow hunters and that first and foremost requires that we work together."

She took a step forward, nodding towards the gathered scaled hunters. "I am Valeria of the Caedor Academy of War. I am a warrior, i know how to fight and fight well. The talents of some of you here are... " She stopped for a moment as she looked for words. "Less obvious than my own so perhaps it would be an idea to let us know how each of you are useful to our group? and..." she turned to Abbant "Do you have a name?"

Vedhin
2014-06-09, 01:26 PM
The delay wasn't so bad. It gave her time to study, and to discuss things with Darurndel. They were likely just seeing how people would react to the wait as a final test.

When she arrived, she stood off to the side, the ice of her armor catching and refracting the light. She watched quietly, and Darurndel also watched from his customary spot on her shoulder. Not that him being in a certain place meant much, as her spirit guide existed mainly in her mind.

She and Darundel kept up a mental "conversation" about the others there. At least our contact seems straightforward, if uncaring. Well, he's likely seen a bunch of Hunters die. He almost certainly isn't going to care unless you lot somehow manage to survive for a while. Doesn't sound like you expect us to survive. And he might simply not care at all.

No gratitude, that's what I get. At least the four-armed man seems to have some experience. Yes, but he's also been assigned to the team of rookies. That doesn't bode well for his skills. Unless he was assigned to get you lot trained while you're still intact.

Well, the girl seems sensible enough, and interested in learning more about things. She's one to watch out for then. She's after something. You don't become a Sun's Hunter if that's not the case.

That draconid is another one to watch. Looks like she's part drow. And drow and dragons are both known to be power hungry. Well! You do listen to me occasionally.

Only when I can't avoid it. Speaking of avoiding, there's something wrong about the man with the raven. Indeed. Makes you wonder why his raven speaks for him. I don't trust him at all.

The warrior seems reliable enough. Trained soldiers are used to teamwork. She also seems like she's used to being a leader. That could just be arrogance, you know.

Having had enough of the conversation, Ashesta stepped forward from and spoke, in a tone that sounded slightly flat "I also advise waiting and learning more. My name is Ashesta."

Sorry it took so long, inclement weather deprived me of my internet connection.

Anyway, Bold Royal Blue is speaking, Italic Royal Blue is thinking, and Royal Blue is communicating with Darurndel, her spirit guide. Darurndel will use Indigo

Sønderjye
2014-06-09, 01:44 PM
Munin makes a raven nod to show it heard Irthosirthir's name.

Niel continues his thoughts and suddenly something strikes him. Why didn't the fourarmed human ressurect his former team? How can he still be here if he broke the contract? Something is definitely off but he decides that this isn't the time or place to find out. Master isn't hungry Munin replies to Abbant, assuming the Gilded Cage is a tavern.

One, two, three alphas. I hope they aren't as stiff as they look, otherwise this might prove problematic Niel thinks. When he sees Munin's questioning gaze he mentally replies Yes you can answer him but if you brag as much as last time you will be living on buckwheat for the next month. A good idea lady Valeria. Master has the ability of conjuring creatures to do his bidding. He can summon creatures to accompany you on the battlefield, he can create monsters to unleash their powerful magic and has creations for other purposes. Thank you Munin, that is enough Niel interupts before the raven could continue about he was the master of both life and death.

When Ashesta speaks the raven's head turns to her. It nods acknowledging the name and then speaks What is it excactly that you want to learn?

Arilus
2014-06-09, 03:01 PM
While playing with the ambush drake, Irthosirthir found the perfect opportunity to finally begin assessing her new comrades without making it obvious she was doing so.

The first one to speak was difficult to pin. The fact that he had six limbs did not seem to odd to Irthosirthir, as she had an extra pair on her back, but it was unusual in that he otherwise appeared human. Even doubly so that seemed young yet was old by human standards, meaning the most likely cause was magic of some sort, probably related to the extra arms. She saw a few subtle signs that might point towards magical ability, but was unsure. Easily the most inscrutable of the bunch.

The second, Allain Se'Arra, seemed to have a skill set similar to hers. Even if there were no other signs, which there were, the fact that she had an instrument and was on the team strongly inferred magical ability. Though she would never admit it, she hoped Allain would fill in the gaps in her own abilities. Allain appeared normal, though with how slick she was that could be misleading.

The third, Niel, was obviously an arcane spellcaster. His statement that he specializes in summoning was quite welcome, as more allies would be useful if they ended up in combat. She wondered if he was mute or simply preferred not to speak. There seemed something draconic about him that she could not put her finger on, as well as a hunger in his visage. She could relate to that, as she required quite a bit of food despite her size, but she suspected it was different in nature.

The fourth, Valeria seemed to be a divine warrior of some sort, possibly a paladin. She moved on from the human quickly, as she was unlikely to be interest Irthosirthir.

The fifth, Ashesta, also seemed to be a spellcaster, but she saw no indications of what type. What was especially odd was that Ashesta appeared human but her skin looked odd, it was too reflective.

After completing her examination, she returned her attention to the drake and gave her own abbreviated résumé. "I am a sorceress specializing in manipulation and illusion. I am also adept at stealth and espionage." Her admission to being a sorceress was not entirely untrue. At the Mage's Guild, they had told her that she seemed to be tapping into her draconic power in an unusual way, similar to a sorcerer but different at the same time.

Overall, she hoped she discovered more about her team than they would about her. Information is power, after all.

Vedhin
2014-06-09, 03:23 PM
"It stands to reason that the border guards are somewhat competent. The orcs shouldn't have killed all of them, and they aren't known for being stealthy, so sneaking past is unlikely. It may well be they have some new ally or leader. If that is the case, we don't want to rush in blindly" Ashesta replied, in the same odd voice. 'And the fact that it was discovered through a vision worries me, but I doubt any of them would understand why.'

"I am a spellcaster. I have a predilection for offensive spells, divinatory spells, and cold spells-- though you likely guessed the last."

Sønderjye
2014-06-09, 03:33 PM
Master points out that the information is likely to be easier available a bit more south than here. Do you want your buckwheat as mush? Be polite! mylady the birds adds. After a few seconds it speaks again Can your divination spells reveal anything from here?

Arilus
2014-06-09, 03:39 PM
"Precisely why it is worth looking into. It is also why, unless someone is talented diviner, we are unlikely to discover anything by asking around. That leaves first-hand information as the most probable way of learning anything concrete. Which means we hope we are more competent than the border patrol so that we can find them and observe them until we see why and how they are suddenly accomplishing things most orcs only wish they could."

Vedhin
2014-06-09, 03:48 PM
"Unfortunately, I lack spells that are that far-ranging."

Sønderjye
2014-06-09, 03:49 PM
Taking one as prisoner is also a viable strategy. Does anyone feel confident that they can get information out of a bound orc?

Master asks if you think a change of location would help acquiring the information you seek Munin asks Ashesta.

Arilus
2014-06-09, 04:58 PM
"I have several tools that could help with interrogating a prisoner, though I have little experience actually doing so," Irthosirthir contributed. "And besides distance, do you have any other restrictions on any way to locate these orcs magically?" she continued, attempting to focus Niel's questions a bit.

Vedhin
2014-06-09, 05:15 PM
Ashesta shakes her head. "The spells I have would work best if we found one of the orcs. At which point we could capture it, and interrogate it, rendering the question moot."

Sønderjye
2014-06-09, 05:21 PM
Yes that is correct blue lady, It was your idea all along Niel thinks quite pleased with himself. Now he will wait for someone else to conclude that there is nothing more for them to do here and approve the idea of moving.

Erik Vale
2014-06-09, 05:34 PM
"Do you have a name?"

"Yes. Abbant." He finally relents.
"What I don't know is only known by those who are specialists in their field, I'm good at showing people how to do things well beyond their abilities, I'm a skilled scout, and I'm a warlock, though my powers are lacking due to... Relatively recent events. I can also see peoples life force and whatever Niel's doing it's giving me a headache.

--Later--
"So, we've gone from don't rush in, to rush in carefully and nab someone first, when all I was trying to do was discuss this elsewhere. Interrogation is definitely something that'll flow smoothly by the sounds of things, sneaking up on a small group to subdue them also shouldn't be too much trouble."

Sønderjye
2014-06-09, 05:56 PM
"Do things beyond their ability?" Niel wonders. Can he increase the power of my minions. He is about to make Munin ask when he hear the comment about his cursed half. His eyes shines with a slightly hateful red glow but he remains silent I can assure you that I would trade a lot for it to only give me a head ache. He silently adds a couple of less polite nicknames that wouldn't suit for a kid cartoon.

Vedhin
2014-06-09, 08:18 PM
Darurndel started conferring with Ashesta. Well, they seem to be moving towards a plan now. And it doesn't seem like any of them are good at divination. Indeed. I may have tipped my hand, but it gave me a read on their abilities. Knowledge is power, and the means of acquiring it the path to success. Which means we should keep a close watch on Abbant, since he claims to know so much.

Erik Vale
2014-06-10, 01:45 AM
After a few moments silence Abbant speaks again, turning towards the exit as he does so.
"If memory serves, the Sea Region borders are rather hilly and dotted with watch towers. Given the nature of the orcs their either being directed by something bigger or someone's taught them how to ride so their striking fast instead of moving with stealth, though if they're doing it on foot so much the better... Either's problematic but we wont know until we arrive. We could visit a more experienced seer first if you lot would rather spend the coin, but they tend to work best with some concrete details in my experience."

Having his hands free, Abbant takes a moment to look into the bag, after a little bit of rummaging [and a glare into the bag] he pulls out a top hat, which immediately turns into a leather skull-cap with matching leather armour [instead of his robes], he shoulders his bag on his upper shoulder set, his lower second hands folding behind his back, in-obvious enough to be missed by the uncaring eye, like most people going about their day to day business.

"In other news, I'm ready to finally get some sunshine. I've spent two many years being poked and prodded in hear and I'll be eating some food worth the name if I have to kill somebody. And if we head out sooner than later we'll get there sooner."

Lexin
2014-06-10, 05:51 AM
Allain nods politely each time when someone introduces themselves, at the same time focusing on remembering the names and every bit of information her new team was giving out. All of these with a cheerful and slightly naive smile on her face.
"What we bring to the team? I am well versed in illusion and enchanting magic... and a small selections from other schools, like divination or enhancing magic. And no, before you ask, my divination are rather of the short range, spying kind. Other than that, I've learned a bit about disarming traps." she says with a thoughtful expression on her face. 'That's enough about me' she thinks when she finishes.

"Seeing that there obviously isn't any information gathering unit, which would make our job easier, I suggest we go to a tavern, for now. It would provide nourishment for those of us who need it, and perhaps information about other possibly tasks for us." she says looking at the others
"...And if we find nothing, we go orc hunting. In that case, we would need mounts and maybe some maps, before we leave." She pauses long enough for someone to add something to the shopping list, if they wanted.

"So, everyone in favor of going to the tavern?" she asks finally.

Arilus
2014-06-10, 06:13 AM
Abbant's mention of sunshine triggered the reflexive photophobic dread in Irthosirthir. Though she had spent enough time on the surface to know the pain usually could not be avoided. The mention of food and maps were enough of a lure to balance it out, however.

"Sounds like a plan," Irthosirthir concurred, feeling smug that she had pegged Allain accurately. Abbant's mention of being a warlock did not bode well, however, as they tended to court powers beyond their comprehension or control, making them very dangerous allies. At least it explained why she did not discern his discipline at first.

Sønderjye
2014-06-10, 06:13 AM
Master agrees with going sooner is better Mister Abbant Munin says He suggests eating on the go instead of wasting time sitting.

Niel is pleased that people are starting to move. He will order his minions to follow the fourarmed human.

Erik Vale
2014-06-10, 06:50 AM
"Much like time is wasted talking huh?"
Abbant quickly leads out of the castle, his pace just shy of a jog.

When the group finally gets outside, he actually stops a few steps out, his face turned upward towards the sun... Eyes closed. It looks like the sort of thing that belongs in a painting.
'... Is it just me or does the air smell fresher out here? Stupid question. Let's not ask that.'
"The Gilded Cage isn't far. 5, 10 minutes tops. We will be able to get more accurate maps of the border closer to it as one would expect. Does everyone have a mount or something that can cary them, faster than a zombies shambling gait? And yes, I'm rushing, just eager to see the world, I'll settle down later. However since we also want to leave post haste, I figure we can best get to know each other on the road and perhaps sharing night-watch shifts."

Sønderjye
2014-06-10, 07:12 AM
That depends on the talking. Some talk is just meaningless air.

How does he know? Niel is mildly suprised that Abbant knew that he was using zombies Oh yeah the life energy detector.

I hate taverns. They are a place where wealthy people can go and waste their money when they could use it for. He cuts of the line of thought. Munin says Master will find a wagon and horses. He will come back here shortly. Munin moves from Niel's shoulder and takes flight. It moves over to Allain and asks May I lady Allain? signalling towards her shoulder.

Assuming nobody has objections Niel orders his minions to transport him towards the city. He makes sure to remember how to get back here.

He wants to buy wagon big enough for everybody, horses, food for the horses and buckwheat. When he is sure nobody is following him he will go to multiple bakers and buy a lot of the cheapest bread he can find and feed it to any starving child he sees.
We can resolve this in roleplaying or just say I did it and pay standard price. Your choice.

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-10, 07:42 AM
Valeria clapped her gauntleted hands together with a solid thud. "It appears we all agree to venture south. Like... Master Niel I fail to see the advantage of seeking out this inn. Unless it's on the way let us head for the borderland and survey the area." She paused for a moment, gaging the reactions of the group before continuing, an arm raised towards the half-dragon. "Irthosirthir has the talents for this work, she can reconnoiter when it becomes to risky for the rest of us. If we find an opportunity we take it what what we can't learn the old fashioned way i trust Ashesta will discover using her methods." She let her lips crack in a smile. "This will prove a good opportunity to become accustomed to each other.. learn our strengths and weaknesses as i'm sure we were all chosen for different reasons. What do you say?

Erik Vale
2014-06-10, 08:02 AM
"Yes, it will prove a good oppertunity. In any case, I at least will have to go, it's we're my mounts stabled. Perhaps we can split up and meet up at the southernmost gate gate once we've all gotten suitable steeds?"

Abbant bows his head slightly.

Arilus
2014-06-10, 08:19 AM
"Fair enough. So I do not risk slowing us down, I can procure a horse and meet you there."

A light horse and riding saddle would cost Irthosirthir 75 gp+10 gp=85 gp.

Vedhin
2014-06-10, 08:29 AM
Ashesta

"It sounds as if heading out soon is our best option. I will procure a horse and meet you at the southernmost gate. Also, it would be wise to obtain warm clothing if you will be traveling with me."

After the course of action is agreed upon, Ashesta proceeds to various stables. Before entering, she mutters a few words and casts a spell that will allow her to see what condition the animals are in. When she finds a strong, healthy one, she attempts to soothe it and make it accostomed to her, knowing that she normally unnerves animals.

Casting the naturewatch orison to learn about the animals. Then making a Wild Empathy check: [roll0].

Also, will spend the 85gp.

Finally, I'm likely to cast a bunch of long-duration cantrips.

Lexin
2014-06-10, 08:48 AM
Allain is slightly disappointed as she hears her team opinions. 'So eager to slaughter some measly orcs, even though there probably are more noble and interesting adventures waiting for us just around the corner. Oh well, if I keep them alive long enough, we would get there too.' she thinks with a little absent expression.
As Munin asks her, if he could sit on her arm she says: "Of course, my friend, but seeing that I am in need of a mount myself I just might follow your master to the stables for now."

Light Warhorse - 150 gp
Military Saddle - 20 gp
Saddlebags - 4 gp
Feed (20 days) - 0,2 gp
Bit and Bridle - 2 gp
and just in case - Tent - 10 gp
Total = 186,2 gp

Sønderjye
2014-06-10, 09:04 AM
Master approves the idea of splitting up and meeting at the southern gate. He himself has a few errands he would like to take care of before leaving.

In case we need to transport a bigger loot or prisoners he suggest that he will acquire a wagon and asks your oppinion on using your horses to be harnessed the wagon.

How cold will it be Ashesta?

As some point he will cast summon monster I and create a fured humanlike creature that will follow him around for most of the day.

Wagon big enough for 4 undeads, my chair and whoever is offering their horse to pull the wagon - 35gp(perhaps more for a big wagon?)
A spare wheel - ??
Food for horses - idk
Buckwheat for Munin - idk
50 breads - 1 gp. He will give most of it away to starving people. If there is too many starving people he will make an agreement with the bakers that he pay now and they give the bread away tomorrow and tell any beggar/streetkid that he couldn't help to go to said bakers tomorrow.
Above is created with summon monster I augmented with Summon Latency(Convoker) and Deceptive Summons(Malconvoker)
When we meet at the gate he is ready to go south to whereever the party decides.

Vedhin
2014-06-10, 09:38 AM
"My horse could be used to help pull the wagon."

"Cold enough to cause frostbite, but it will usually matter only when I am casting spells."

Speaking of spells, will cast Fire EyesMasters of the Wild, NaturewatchSpell Compendium, Prestidigitation, and Read Magic. She will use Reserves of Strength and Snowcasting, but won't mess with the temperature beyong her personal Cloak of Shade.

Erik Vale
2014-06-10, 06:05 PM
"... I can warm myself, but you may wish to work on your fine control of whatever causes such cold... Anyhow, I'll grab my stuff, and my mount will be avaliable. It's a Bison, but it moves as fast as most heavy horses so speed shouldn't suffer.

Abbant will turn and leave after a moment if no one has any more questions, regrouping at the south gate.

Sliver
2014-06-11, 12:35 AM
With everybody buying light horses to ride themselves, Niel will be unable to use the same horses to also effectively pull his undead wagon. Two light horses of his own for another 150gp would do, or he could buy a carriage and the others would buy heavy horses and ride with him and the undead. The feed's cost is negligible enough to say that 1gp will be enough for a long journey. 5 silver, even.

As you finish your arrangements, you meet at the southern gate ready to head out. The way in front of you will be long and boring. There is a village close enough that you will reach by early noon, where you could switch horses if you want, or continue. If you push your horses or get fresh ones, you might reach the next village before it gets too dark, but otherwise you will have to camp some way from it... But you have some time before you have to decide that, so you set off.

You can't help but glance at Ashesta every time you feel a cold breeze, but she looks innocent enough that it's probably just the wind blowing from the sea to the west. You are getting closer to the coast...

You reach a crossroad before too long. To the east, a few miles off your destination, is the lake and village of Evercoot. It's a fairly peaceful village, but on your way out of the city you did hear a rumor that they are experiencing some sort of trouble. Or you could continue on your destination, heading to the south-west and through the village of Cornclaw where you could rest your horses for a bit before continuing to the border.

Erik Vale
2014-06-11, 01:08 AM
Abbant looks around when the group reaches the crossroads, munching a trail bar from his trail box in his bag, considering the rather vague rumour he overheard at The Gilded Cage... He then dismisses it. They can look in on the way back perhaps. They'd need to return anyhow to get some people to listen for worthwhile rumours if they wanted to stay rather active.

Sønderjye
2014-06-11, 04:09 AM
If studied the human will be revealed as a badger with a DC 21 knowledge nature

When Niel arrives at the gate he is bringing a furred man with him, unarmed. The fur is mostly grey but on the face he has white and black stripes

----------------------------------

With his hungry eyes Niel eats Abbant's trail bar.

He will silently command the creature to make the wagon go right(south-west) but if anyone has objections he will command it to stop.

Lexin
2014-06-11, 05:10 AM
"I don't know if you heard the rumors..." says Allain "But it seems that in the village not far from here she points east they have some trouble which might be interesting to look into."
"We could check it out, worst case scenario, we waste a day. Best, we actually accomplish something over there."

Erik Vale
2014-06-11, 05:15 AM
[roll0]
Dead on. The gigs up.
"I did, however we can also get it on our way back, if there is truly a problem... Though we may end up spending some time waiting for the orcs..."

Abbant shrugs his lack of will either way before taking another bite, turning to Niel.
I hear asking works well when you want a bite of someone's food. I've actually got enough to last me several lifetimes, and I look forward to seeing the world end, just to see what it's like."

Arilus
2014-06-11, 06:48 AM
Irthosirthir gives a dismissive shrug, nonverbally indicating her indifference. Rumors vague enough to simply be "trouble" were not enough to interest her, but if the team wanted to investigate she would not object.

Sønderjye
2014-06-11, 06:52 AM
Master votes for helping the village now. The orcs likely will still be there after another days.

When Munin hears Abbants offer he shakes his feathers and replies Master.. he pauses while looking for the right words isn't hungry he says clearly contradicting with the constant look in Niel's eyes. Good job Munin. You really pulled that lie off well Niel mentally comments. The raven ducks as if hit.

Erik Vale
2014-06-11, 07:07 AM
"Hmmm. So not hungry and flickering light... You also register as dead despite being living... My first guess is some form of undead under the effects of an extended spell designed to fake life, but you don't have the... Rot. This would leave half undead. I would expect a Ghul, but you lack the emancipation, or the teeth. You don't appear sun sensitive, so you're not a Dhamphir. Your eyes are red, which suggests your not a Gheden, where that word comes from I've no clue though... While you don't speak you don't look quite frail enough to be a Fetch, you also didn't spook Rampage..."

Abbant pauses, taking another bite.
"This of course, leaves magic concealing a trait, or a non-usual manifestation. Magic can alter appearance, and I don't think Gheldan's or Dhamphir have special dietary requirements, so would you, perchance, be a Ghul?"

Arilus
2014-06-11, 08:06 AM
Abbant's musing fascinated Irthosirthir. She did not even know half-undeath existed, much less all of the signs indicating the various varieties.

[roll0]

As Irthosirthir was examining Niel again, her mind at clear this time, she realized what the vaguely draconic impression she had from his appearance was. His stoic silence, dull appearance, and possible partial undeath had thrown her off at first, but there is only one scaled species with such a fluid coloration and humanoid appearance: spellscales. She wondered what trauma could change him from the eccentric enthusiasm spellscales are known for. Unfortunately, this knowledge would probably not be useful for psychoanalysis, as Niel's demeanor is the polar opposite of what one would expect from a spellscale.

Irthosirthir briefly contemplated revealing her determination, but decided to hold off until it could be turned to her advantage.

Vedhin
2014-06-11, 09:15 AM
Ashesta resists smiling every time someone looks at her after a gust of wind. 'No, not me. They'll see sooner or later.'

Later, while they were eating, she replies to Niel. "The village will also be here in a few days after we take care of the orc. Let's finish one task before we try picking up another."

After hearing the Niel is half undead, she schools her expression to not show the disgust she feels. So, he's a mockery of the natural order? That certainly explains why he seemed wrong. And because of the contract, you can't try to lay him to rest. I can't decide whether him being half undead is better or worse than him being a normal undead.

No matter what Ashesta may feel, I (Vedhin) am not going to go for PvP.

Sønderjye
2014-06-11, 10:15 AM
Niel's eyes gradually narrow as Abbant does his analysis. Has others done the same? The thought makes him angry. Master is curious to know from where you know so much about undead-living cross-breeding mister Abbant Munin asks before answering the question He is not a Ghul Munin avoids adding more details on the answer, feeling the boiling anger of his master.

Happy about the non-pvp stance. I second that oppinion!

Erik Vale
2014-06-11, 01:11 PM
Abbant nods as Ashesta speaks, noting her opinion, before he speaks again.

"A curious and long lived mind reads lots of books... And is upon occasion subjected to experiments by vampiric captors for their amusement."

Abbant looks upset for half a moment, his eyes do still flicker about as if he's thinking.
"...Hmmm. Dhamphir may need blood meal, I'm not sure but in such a case you could be half vampire with spells to ward against sunlight, or being good at hiding your distraction. Or you're a unusual Gheden manifestation by the eyes, but that's not far from the usual. Given how you answered I won't ask... However I was under the assumption that non-Ghul ate normally, if you would correct me..?"
Abbant leaves the question in the air before he shrugs.

Arilus
2014-06-11, 02:07 PM
Irthosirthir was very pleased with her new companions. They were revealing more about themselves by trying to assess each other than the half-dragon would ever get by her own inquiry. A free lesson on half-undead was fascinating as well. Niel's defensiveness showed when Abbant hit the mark and Abbant exposed the probable source of his longevity and quadribrachy. Though his naïveté on what "long-lived" entails was rather amusing, as she was still a young girl at 98.

"Care to elaborate?" she asked Abbant, attempting to put a seductive hint to her voice. In her experience, some humanoids found her attractive, some found her grotesque, and some found her both, but so long as they were the former or the latter it was usually a useful tool.

She felt some faint empathy for what Abbant must have gone through at the hands of the vampires, a feeling she quickly quashed. But more importantly, the tales of what vampires could do tantalized her. Despite their vulnerabilities, their abilities were something she might embrace given the opportunity. The immortality could be nice as well, though at her current rate of aging her natural lifespan should be several millenia. Either way, she hoped Abbant would not leave his personal account there.

Sønderjye
2014-06-11, 03:03 PM
LIER! It is almost as if the eyes glow stronger. Master holds interest in that subject. Do you remember the name of those books? What did vampire torture teach you about living undeads?

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-11, 05:31 PM
As she left the castle of Scales Valeria picked up the weapons she had left at the entrance and immediately felt more comfortable. The other hunters were.. not what she had expected. Such a strange bunch. The over-eager four-armed one with the big mouth and the cripple in particular. The other three seemed less queer but each had something odd about them, something not quite as what Valeria had been dreaming about for all those years of training.

She came marching to the south gates with her shield, sword and crossbow slung over her back. Her long slender spear in one hand was used as a walking stick as she lead her mount by the reigns. She took the rearguard of the group, calmly leading her horse while keeping her spear mounted in her stirrup as she rode along in silence.

"I agree with Ashesta. 'trouble' is a lot less pressing than orcs putting villages and people to the torch." that and it would show what these people were made of. One thing was the way the talked, another how they acted.

Erik Vale
2014-06-11, 06:05 PM
"Care to elaborate?"

Master holds interest in that subject. Do you remember the name of those books? What did vampire torture teach you about living undeads?

"... On this topic in particular, there where no books that I can remember. There was instead a spell that they repeated rather often, that after which made them... 'Glow' in a manner similar to yours but more of the dark, less of the strobing, and acts that left be surprised and glad I did not contract some sort of rot, followed by children that were occasionally allowed to live until adulthood."

Abbant shakes his head.
"As for other... Elaboration. They found out that you could alter a warlocks powers by replacing their blood and cutting at their soul over a extended period, for example I can't harm minds with a touch, instead I can see the light of your soul. They concluded that memory loss due to soul drain affects the mind in order of things that could be considered 'most useful', though they haven't concluded on how such is done. Paladins that are turned embrace darker paths without a thought. That there's a fine line between how much domination allows a servant to act intelligently and to stake you before running out into the noon-day sun. And if I meet them again, thinaun can be used to breach a Sun Hunter's contract, if you weaken them enough. They may also learn that resurrected ex-vampire paladins are prone to suicide..."

Abbant says this all rather levelly, though those that pay attention will note that one of his hands is now a fist.
"I'm not a fool and I did hear that tone. There may be vampires somewhere who are good or worth romanticising, but I doubt I just got stuck with a bad batch. If we find a true vampire, there better be a good reason for me not to make it ashes, otherwise I'll take pleasure in mixing it's remains with a fast moving river, after I can torture same names out of it, should I be so lucky."

He's quiet a moment, before he speaks again.
"Ok, so that's the orcs then."

Arilus
2014-06-11, 07:02 PM
Irthosirthir felt slightly abashed at Abbant noticing her interest may not just be academic though she gave no outward sign of it, aided by the fact that her scaled flesh did not turn red when embarrassed.

"A good vampire? I doubt such a thing exists. But evil can be just as useful as good," she replied, letting the conversation drop like Abbant seemed to want. He clearly would not be too flexible when it came to vampires. Ideologies and grudges are equally limiting.

She was also glad the majority wanted to pursue the orcs first, as odds were that they would be a more interesting prey.

Erik Vale
2014-06-11, 07:07 PM
"It can be. But one does not seek to tame a demon, simply direct it elsewhere while you get a cold iron weapon handy."

Sønderjye
2014-06-12, 02:31 AM
So now you say there was no books, funny how easy lies can crumble when you aren't prepared. Niel calms himself and tries to think structured Most lies however begin with some truth and if there is a glimpse of truth in his story I need to find them. He wonders if I deviate from our current task I won't have much of a team. I must tread carefully Master doesn't have any protective feelings towards vampires. He says he understands your hate towards the vampires and propose that we after dealing with the orcs go vampire-hunting. Do you know where you were held capured? Was it in this region?

Master disagrees. Demons can be handy to have under your command.

I'm ready for traveling south-west to the orcs.

Erik Vale
2014-06-12, 02:59 AM
"We we're captured resting in a cave on the way to Gorfarn, which in the territory to the north, after that I'm not certain where we traveled... I thank you for your offering though, should such an opportunity arise I'm glad to have your support..."

Abbant toys with the trail bar, looking down. After a moment he shrugs.
"Dangerous things can be bound and safely directed if you are weary, I do not disagree. However I'm of the mind that there are much safer creatures to deal with than demons... Especially for one that would rather be carried."
Abbant smiles, but there is little emotion in it.

Lexin
2014-06-12, 04:47 AM
Allain sighs, throws one last wistful look east... 'I hope this indeed would wait' she thinks and directs her horse south-west, towards the orcs.

She quietly listens to the conversation of her teammates. 'Vampires? That, at least, sounds much more interesting than the orcs...'

Sliver
2014-06-12, 07:34 AM
It's early noon when you reach the village of Cornclaw, a small farming village that focuses on... Wait for it... Potatoes. Thought it's corn, didn't you? Nope. About ten years ago, a gang of anthropomorphic crows came and stole all the corn, almost ruining the village. They also burned all the scarecrows. So yeah. Potatoes.

You could simply pass through, but your horses won't last last long before you'll run the risk of them tiring. You could take a break here, even eat a hot meal at the mess hall, letting your horses a chance to rest a bit while you mingle with the commoners. On the other hand, you could just trade your horses for new ones and continue well into the night.

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-12, 08:48 AM
Valeria pulled her horse to a halt. "How far is it to the borderland from here?" she asked out loud to the group.

Sønderjye
2014-06-12, 08:55 AM
So he was captured on the way to Gorfarn but where was he held captured?Master points out that we could seek such an opportunity. Were you captured in Gorfarn or before you entered the region? Do you remember how long you were transported? He am sorry for touching old painful memories but you are the best lead we have. Munin says.

There is indeed safer creatures to handle than demons but there is also more dangerous ones and sometimes the reason they are dangerous is excactly what you need.

---------------------------------------------

Niel don't like this small town. Potatoes was one of the first thing he tried to eat after he escaped.Master wants to know if you need to rest or we can continue.

I don't have any ranks in knowledge(geography) but I suppose we should know how long to the border?

Arilus
2014-06-12, 09:11 AM
"Immaterial. We should continue," Irthosirthir said in a matter-of-fact tone. Idle time made her restless when she had a target in mind and she abhorred vegetables, including potatoes. She also did not want the group to become accustomed to resting at night, which is when she has no need of eye protection and could hide more readily. She disliked trading horses, as she tended to get sentimental attachments to property of any kind, but she had no desire to wait for them to be rested.

Sønderjye
2014-06-12, 11:58 AM
Somewhere along the journey Munin will turn to Irthosirthir Master is curious to your origin Irthosirthir, he is certain it is an interesting story. You may notice that he pronounces the name correctly almost as if he knew draconic.

Arilus
2014-06-12, 12:29 PM
While the group as contemplating whether to rest or continue throughout the night, Irthosirthir turned her attention to Neil. Knowing that her eyes were obscured by her goggles, she narrowed them suspiciously. Though Neil's conversation with Abbant had inadvertently revealed some aspects of his personality and nature, the fact that he communicates through his familiar was making it hard to assess the spellscale. Since it had already been exposed that he was half-undead, she figured she could be more honest about her past than she normally was. After all, neither half-dragons nor half-drow had any weaknesses besides photophobia, and that much was already apparent. Besides, Munin's impeccable pronunciation of Draconic deserved some reward.

"I am from the caverns beneath the earth." She briefly paused and nonverbally indicated her talons, tail, wings. "As you may have guessed, my father was a deep dragon and my mother was a drow. When illithids attacked, I was left homeless, and was left to wander the Underdark on my own. Eventually, I ended up here on the surface, where the trusting nature of society made it easy to...recover information. When that line of work fell through, a 'friend' recommended me to the Lord. And here I am," she concluded. It was an abbreviated autobiography, the part about illithids and how she left from her family was a blatant lie, and she euphemized several items, but it was a mostly true sketch of her life. The tone at the end indicated she would be willing to answer any questions, though she obviously might not answer honestly.

"How about you? Quid pro quo?"

Sønderjye
2014-06-12, 01:17 PM
Hmm. A drow and a dragon, not that unusual of a mix. So few details though, this one doesn't like to talk about her past. Most creatures hates illithids and for good reason. Niel analyzes. Master sends his condolences Irthosirthir. You indeed have had a challenging past, it is a good thing that you didn't give up and you have my masters gratitude for that.

The memory was painful but I suppose that is what I get for asking others the same question. However it is crucial that these people trust me Master never knew his mother. which wasn't far from the truth He knows she was a spellscale from a place called Okarthel and her first name was Aryzgos. His father.. The raven looks unsettled before he sees an incredibly faint nod from Niel His father was fully fledged zombie controlled by a human named Belbob. Niel commands Munin to not tell that this isn't all of his genetic heritage: Look at their faces friend, they are unsettled enough as is

Aryzgos means dancing wind

Arilus
2014-06-12, 01:58 PM
Irthosirthir wondered if Niel's sympathy was genuine or merely polite. It did not matter personally, since her maternal family is unfortunately still alive as far as she knew, but it would help her gauge what ways Niel could be useful. His confession to being a spellscale was unfortunate, since her hiding her knowledge now meant she lost her chance to show off. But either way, she was fascinated by his story, working under the assumption that it was true. After all, it would be a very odd choice for a lie.

"Please continue," she invited, expressing sincere interest. "There is no shame in a bizarre heritage," she added, hoping to incite an empathetic response to her own bastardized blood. She wanted to know more about him than just his birth—though knowing how it happened would interest her as well—even if it was more academic curiosity than anything. He did, after all, stop his recounting at his conception.

Erik Vale
2014-06-12, 03:38 PM
Before:
"We normally travelled by magic, teleportation for the most part, and the capture near Gorfarn was once we crossed over into the region... So yes, that means my knowledge of various spots is lacking, I do know I broke out in the Cycle Region, and I'm glad for it. The bureaucracy there meant I was shipped back rather quickly... And yes. Sometimes dangerous is what makes a tool most suitable."
Abbant sounds slightly regretful in that he lacks knowledge as to his travels with the vampires.

---------------------
"If we push, most of the mounts will probably stop due to fatigue and we'll need to camp in the open. If we don't we will arrive at the next town a few hours after nightfall, however I'll be able to pick out most threats before they can approach too close."

Abbant nods slightly at Niel's admission.

Sønderjye
2014-06-12, 04:27 PM
No shame for you perhaps Continue? That was my masters origin sir.

---------------------------------------------------------

Master suggest that we trade our horses. If we push the new mounts we can make it in a day and a night and the horses can rest afterwards.

Arilus
2014-06-12, 04:48 PM
Irthosirthir was disappointed that Niel was unwilling to relay more, but at least his reluctance indicated that what he said was accurate. She gave him a nod to demonstrate she would not pry further for for now. She certainly was not going to learn anything by pissing him off. She did not want to switch her horse out, but Abbant's point was valid.

"Agreed. Trading mounts with the local stable will allow to press on. Travelling at night is more suitable to my eyes anyways."

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-12, 05:05 PM
It is however not suitable for the eyes of our horses Irsosith. We can't ride at night, it's too dangerous. A little change in the road can make one of them stumble and fall and one of us will be without a mount. We can continue a while longer but we will need to stop when it gets dark.

Sønderjye
2014-06-12, 05:51 PM
These horses are from the southern part of Scaled Region. As long as a little light remain their vision is better than masters and almost as good as mine.

Erik Vale
2014-06-12, 08:14 PM
"And worst to worse, we can simply light torches."

Abbant thinks for a moment.
"So what are the chances that all of you can cast some sort of magic and as such prefer 8 hours of sleep a night?"

Arilus
2014-06-12, 09:28 PM
"When needed, I will require the rest, but I have not expended enough energy to warrant it yet."

Vedhin
2014-06-12, 09:31 PM
"I would do better with the sleep."

Sønderjye
2014-06-13, 03:48 AM
They are weak and not commited enough
Assuming they will reach another village before it gets too dark Munin will say Master propose sleeping in the next village and use the last ours of the day.
If he doesn't know how far away the next couple of villages is away Munin will ask a villager in this city.

Lexin
2014-06-13, 04:11 AM
"Trading horses wouldn't work for everyone of us." she says pointing at the bison, and her own warhorse.
"On the other hand, these two should have more endurance than your regular horse." she shrugs.

"As to riding at night, we could do that. We have enough magic users to illuminate the whole road and vicinity." she adds after a moment
"That would also be a suitable bait for every bandit around, but it is doable."
"And yes, I require complete 8 hours of sleep to recharge my powers." 'Not that I used any today'
"Yes, resting in the next village is probably a good idea."

Erik Vale
2014-06-13, 05:30 AM
"... I've a feeling that a Ring of Sustenance will be my next large investment, that I might watch the camp while you all sleep... As to mounts, I could purchase a strong horse to takes Rampage's place and let him walk unburdened as way of rest, however he's rather long lasting... And I'd welcome bandits, at around 250ft."

Sliver
2014-06-13, 09:37 AM
Deciding that if you would ride a bit into the night, you should get to the next village, you trade the horses you purchased recently and hope that your own would last long enough and set out and continue heading south-west and after a couple more hours, you can almost see the coast and the ocean beyond. The road takes you through the rocky landscape and blocking out most of the darkening sky.

And then Abant notices lights coming from behind rocks ahead, unmoving, from both sides of the road. Lights of life. Lights of ambush?

Spot checks if you want. You would probably make Listen checks needed soon enough, so you can roll right now, too.

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-13, 09:44 AM
"Not a bowshots range worth of light... we'd be little more than illuminated pincushions" She turned to Abant then. "That's an odly specific number.. What do you mean by welcome? I don't see you carrying any bow, you're a mage?"

Spot. [roll0]
Listen. [roll1]

Arilus
2014-06-13, 11:39 AM
As the team was travelling through the night, Irthosirthir heard Abbant point out signs of life ahead. Though confused at how a human would have noticed something before she did, she instinctively dismounted and tied her horse to the wagon and took out her spyglass, attempting to get a better look down the road and preparing to reconnoiter the situation.

I don't know if spyglasses give any mechanical advantage to spot checks (there are 1000 gp, after all), but I'll assume there isn't unless someone says otherwise. I can always just add any modifier to the roll.
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Erik Vale
2014-06-13, 06:31 PM
Previously
"250ft marks the limit of my range. And I would have thought you'd pick up on me being a warlock."
He smiles.
----

How high does the light reach? [Radius = HD*5 bright, like a torch so double that in dim]
Do there seem to be multiple lights, if so how many? [I know the answer will be based on spot]
Distance to lights?

Spot:[roll0]

Note: Active Spells
Presdigitation, Deathwatch, Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages [Written], See Invisibility

Abbant will motion for the others to halt, getting off the Wagon and moving to the front so as to minimise the interference from their lights. He also looks around for any other lights.
"I need you to stay behind me."

Sliver
2014-06-14, 02:24 AM
Your sheet says your name is Abant.

There are a lot of lights from both sides, but they are feint as they come above the rocks, so you know their life force must be much weaker than yours. By the patterns and how the lights interact, you would say that some are standing higher than others. One light though, the one that you had spotted originally, shines slightly stronger. Perhaps the source has a life force about half of yours and your companions. At least the fully living ones. You count over half a dozen on each side, but with the faint level and their tightly packed nature, it's hard to give an exact number.

You then notice that light also shines through small openings between the rocks, where someone small enough might squeeze through... Archers, perhaps?

Erik Vale
2014-06-14, 02:41 AM
I did say I keep screwing up and putting Abbant and might change it right? *Goes and does that now*

Abbant seems to stare off into the distance, shushing anyone who speaks once he gets out in front. If you could see him his eyes would be flicking back and forth madly... Eventually he nods his head, turning around and speaking quietly.
"See the rocks ahead? I think there's about 15 people, total, hiding behind them. Judging by how it shines, it looks more ambushy than caravan huddled down for the night, particularly how most shine duller than your average horse or war-hound."
He lets those sink for a moment.
"The brightest light I could pick out gets to around there, so there might be one who's actually trained or survived more than a few conflicts. I'd guess they mostly surround travellers and demand their stuff, which is good for us. The bad news is though, that it looks like some of the rocks have holes cut into them, or were placed to have thin slits, so they've definitely been well prepared and have probably been here a while, why we didn't hear about this when passing through the last town I don't know..."
Abbant thinks for a moment.
"They may have spotted us, so I think just a couple of us leave our mounts with the group as 'spares' for the wagon, and circle around. Once we've had a moment to get in place, the rest of you go on in. If they demand tribute, we surprise them, if not, we rejoin you on the way."

Meanwhile, he takes the moment to sign in Drow Sign, which'd probably look just like agitated hand motions to everyone else given his particular 'accent'.
[Drow Sign]"Who here speaks?"

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-14, 03:50 AM
Valeria looks over the lightly armored group. "My turn to go in the front now" she murmurs quickly while pulling out a small piece of crumbled paper from a pouch. After a few seconds of low chanting the slightest glimmering sheen seems to surround her, just barely visible to the naked eye. "If they spotted us they will grow suspicious of we stop now. Act quickly. One or two of you go with Abant, the rest follow behind" she commanded in a low tone as she set her horse moving again at a slow walk. With that pace the others should have plenty of time to circle around.

Casts shield of faith, set horse moving at slow speed ~30 feet or so.

Current AC: 28, AC vs first attack that hits her ac is raised to 31 through her fighter "active defence" ability.

Effects: Active Defence (+3 AC vs first hit), Shield of Faith, Active fighting style (Hold the line and Stand Still)

Lexin
2014-06-14, 04:16 AM
"Or... just an idea. I could create an exact illusion of our group, make us invisible and use another spell to eavesdrop on the reaction of our enemies when our illusions get to them. If hostile we can repay them with an ambush of our own. If not..." she shrugs "... we just keep moving."

Erik Vale
2014-06-14, 04:23 AM
Abbant nods.
"I'll let those who stay decide as to their own actions. Those that would follow me, stay close.
Abbant takes off to the right, moving surprisingly silently given his initial pace is faster than Valeria's .

Swift and Silent allows me to ignore the penalty for moving at my base speed with move silently, will that extend to skill assistance rolls? I believe so as it's my roll, however being as their conditions affect their individual modifier you may rule otherwise, and given Savant's relative rarity I haven't found a ruling.
If followed, I'll slow to 30ft instead of 40ft. If they would take a penalty to their assisted roll moving at 30ft, I'll instead slow to 15ft.
Oh, should I get more than 3 followers which rely on my rolls, I'll tell some to stay behind [Can replace 3's rolls]. Those relying on my rolls must stay within 10ft.

Taking 10 on all rolls unless I must, ending with results of 22 for my hide/move silently.
Those that use my skill assistance must use the following roll [request more rolls if needed], though they cannot see it. They get to apply their Dex Bonus/ACP/other modifiers to it individually, giving them different final results.

Hide: [roll0] Base
Move Silently: [roll1] Base

Ech, that's bad.
Let's be grateful for distance modifiers, and I hope no-one follows me needing my skills.

Arilus
2014-06-14, 09:15 AM
Irthosirthir was startled to see the distinctive hand movements of Drow Sign Language from Abbant.

"I do," she signed back, making a mental note to ask the human where he learned it once the potential threats ahead were dealt with.

She then made a different set of gestures, muttering at the same time. After several seconds, she stopped, satisfied that she now had some additional protection. Feeling in her element, and a tad euphoric, she followed Abbant off the road without a word, keeping an eye on how well hidden they were. If anyone was too visible, she had a magical solution.

Irthosirthir cast mage armor on herself. I am assuming I cannot just take 10 on hide and move silently checks. If anyone attempting to hide is not hidden, Irthosirthir plans on casting invisibility on them.
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Sønderjye
2014-06-14, 10:55 AM
Niel approves the decoy idea but is also fine with facechecking. If we choose to facecheck he readies a summon nature's III spell if the unknown people proves hostile.

Summon nature III to summon [roll0] hippogrif.
Since sumlings attack immediately here is the roll. Just including attacks in best case scenario.

Hip 1:
claw [roll1] damage [roll2]
claw [roll3] damage [roll4]
Bite [roll5] damage [roll6]

Hip 2:
claw [roll7] damage [roll8]
claw [roll9] damage [roll10]
Bite [roll11] damage [roll12]

Hip 3:
claw [roll13] damage [roll14]
claw [roll15] damage [roll16]
Bite [roll17] damage [roll18]

Statblock

Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 3d10+15 (31 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 100 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 15 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Claw +8 melee (1d4+8)
Full Attack: 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+6) and bite +3 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +8
Feats: Dodge, Wingover

Arilus
2014-06-14, 02:22 PM
As Irthosirthir was moving off the road, crouch down to present as low a profile as possible, she paused for a moment and turned back in response to Allain's suggestion.

"Your tactics are your own prerogative, but no matter how you attempt to minimize danger to yourselves, do not be the first to attempt any hostile actions. We do not want any unnecessary conflict," she advised in a low voice. She almost left, but realized that she should not assume they would all act prudently.

"If battle is unavoidable, do your best to wait until Abbant and I are ready. I will signal you when we are in position," she concluded, finally leaving the group.

Though Irthosirthir did not feel obligated to specify the type of signal, she is planning on using the message spell.

Lexin
2014-06-14, 02:51 PM
Allain would prefer a clear answer, but seeing that there wouldn't be any, she simply shrugs and prepares for combat.

- Major Image to copy our group - the illusions should ride faster, so that they arrive at the ambush place about 20ft before the real group.
- Invisibility Sphere - on the group following the illusions.

Erik Vale
2014-06-14, 07:50 PM
Abbant slows to Irthosirthir's pace once he notices that he's being followed.

Arilus
2014-06-14, 08:52 PM
As Irthosirthir left the road, she began a different set of soft vocalization and gestures before getting within earshot of the targets. By the time she caught up to Abbant, her eyes were glowing violet.

She cast arcane sight. I meant to cast it at the same time as mage armor but forgot.
Edit: Changed the color of arcane sight to violet instead of blue for fluff reasons. Figured it fit in with her heritage and color palette, and she's a half-chromatic dragon spontaneous arcane caster after all.

Vedhin
2014-06-15, 04:30 PM
Ashesta nods assent to the scouting and decoy plans, but otherwise she merely watches for trouble.

Not going to ready an action, because there are too many variables.

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-15, 04:36 PM
Valeria continues leading her horse forward at the same pace. Under her breath she's muttering something just barely audible to her own ears "Focus, tighten your grip, hit them fast and hard" as her knuckles turned white around the grip of her shield and spear, letting her magic flow through her the words guided her thoughts and mind onto the single task at hand. She had trained for this a thousand times but had never done the real thing before. Continuing to mutter brought her focus. "Stab, block, parry, stab, go for the openings" when it came it would all be a matter of repetition, like reciting a song for the thousandth time unless this time in front of a live audience.

Standard action:
Bardic Music +2, swift inspirational boost, immediate action activate badge of valor. Unless the others have exceptional hearing in this case it is only Valeria benefitting from this with +4 attack/damage.

Move action: Move another thirty feet.

Sliver
2014-06-16, 02:02 AM
Sneaking around, Irth and Abbant move quietly between the rocks on the slope. Then, 30 feet ahead, they see a group of eight goblin looking creatures, except that their furs are black and dirty. two goblins have crossbows and are looking through the rocks, waiting. One is wearing studded leather and holding a battleaxe, the leader. The other five have half a dozen bottles lining their pouch, containing varius alchemical substances, such as fire and acid. You suspect the other side is the same... Then, one of the archers nods.

With a swift cry in goblin, ordering to attack, one of the goblins raises a stick with a special explosive and shoves it into the rocks in front of them.

As the group walks through the path, waiting for a sign of hostility, the rocks 20 feet above explode and fall on them, revealing 5 goblins on each side!

I'm posting from my phone because I didn't want to keep you waiting so it's not as organized as I would like.

The group that advanced through the path: [roll0] damage, reflex 16 for half.

Roll initiative but post in any order. Their init is [roll1] so if you beat it, you can act right away, otherwise wait for their actions.

The readied summom did go off but I'm unable to check the details to determine the blast results. It attacked at the goblins on the left while Abbant and Irth went right.

I'll have a map when I'm home.

Sorry about this bad start...

Erik Vale
2014-06-16, 02:22 AM
40ft move to get further behind them, taking 10 on hide/move silent for 22 on both.
Standard action for ghost sound. Sleight of hand to conceal [Take 10 for 15, vs their spot, which has to contend with distance and maybe not seeing me]. Casting this behind them if possible, if not then among them is fine, it's just a distraction/to hurt their listen checks. Sound is a Dire Tiger Roaring at full volume, and will last 36 seconds/six rounds.

Abbant looks at the goblins, wishing he could get in better position to distract them, or to perhaps call out to warn them in advance, but instead he keeps moving. And then the rocks explode.
He quickly rushes further ahead, wanting to distract the goblins from pressing what little advantage they have, and with whispered mutterings and a seemingly half hearted hand motion gestures to a point in space near the goblins, but not in immediate sight of any of them, and suddenly it explodes into the loud roar of a Dire Tiger in all it's glory... And ear rattling pain.

Lexin
2014-06-16, 04:48 AM
"Finally, something happens." Allain mutters under her breath, preparing to evade the falling rocks.

Reflex: [roll0]
Horse Reflex: [roll1]

Allain pulls out her violin and starts playing a fast melody, accenting the moments when her allies should evade attacks. Her longsword jumps out of sheath and starts floating around her, to the rhythm of music.

Initiative: [roll2]
Swift Action: Badge of Valor
Standard Action: Inspire Defense - All Allies in 30 ft radius get +5 AC and Saves; it is a competence bonus so it even affects our undead friends...
Move Action: Drawing sword - it just floats around Allain

Sønderjye
2014-06-16, 09:42 AM
Niel sits on his throne not avoiding the rocks.

James, the humanlooking badger, jumps out of the wagon and runs into the group to the right shouting some gibberish. The nails on one of his hands turns into claws and he engages in combat.

Niel utters some words in a rusty voice and waves his hands and a small demon called a Mane appear in the midst of the group to the left. He orders it to not move and accept what is to come as his storm orglash releases another icy cone. When the mane is hit it explodes in a green cloud.

He then is about to give his undeads a mental command when he realizes what liquid the flasks is containing. His face turns pale(or more pale if you want)no no no no no NO NO NO NO! he screams the last part and he tumbles out of the chair to seek protection from the fire and acid. If the left side looks demolished he will seek protection at the opposing side of the remaining goblins(aka left). Otherwise he will hide beneath the wagon(which is by all logic a totally safe place against fire right?)

Munin takes off when Niel tumbles out of the chair and caws as it flies randomly around.

James attack [roll0] [roll1]

Cone of Ice: 6 damage(see OOC) DC 15 or 16 idk. if con+half HD is the DC then it's 16, if DC is cha+spelllevel it's 15. Reflex half.

Mane explosion [roll2] half reflex save 20. Note this is only a 10 ft burst though.

Storm Orglash uses Shock(free action) to deal [roll3] nonlethal which is denied by a fort 16. It will use this on a random enemy.

Init 6 here.

Arilus
2014-06-16, 10:53 AM
Seeing the goblinoids ahead and the mayhem of their trap springing, Irthosirthir was glad she was not in the line of fire. Continuing to slowly creep around towards the rear of the battlefield, she began casting a spell to disrupt the group containing the goblinoid leader.

Initiative: [roll0]
Irthosirthir casts vertigo field as a standard action centered on the group of 8 goblinoids and chooses all five of her companions and Munin to be immune to the nauseous effect. Spell save DC is 20+1=21 due to cloaked casting.
Sleight of Hand to conceal spellcasting: [roll1]
If Abbant and Irthosirthir get a surprise round, Irthosirthir will only cast a spell. If they do not get a surprise round, she will cast a spell while moving 15 ft towards the rear.
As previously rolled, her hide check was 29 and her move silently check was 13. I assumed we couldn't take 10 on the checks, but Erik Vale did it with Abbant. If we're allowed to, I obviously would've chosen to do that, which would've made both checks 22. Same thing goes for the sleight of hand check I made above, which would've been 19. (Even if the roll is higher, I would've chosen to take 10.)

Sliver
2014-06-16, 02:58 PM
The blasts of cold completely destroy the five goblins on the left side while the mane explodes in the midst of four of the goblins on the right side, leaving them barely standing. Abbant casts his spell, causing the goblins to flinch and look around in shock and confusion. Their leader seems to look around and begins to scream, but he is unable to be overheard above the roar. Then the patterns appear in their midst and only two seem to withstand it, one of the archers and the pack leader.

The leader stumbles out of the field and begins to rush down the path that Abbant and Irth took as he draws his axe. As he moves around, Abbant and Irth can't find a new hiding location and the goblin stares at them in shock and rage as he begins to scream incoherently, even for a goblin.

The archer fires a bolt at the storm orglash that dispatched his allies, hitting the elemental spirit for 6 damage.

Vedhin
2014-06-16, 03:17 PM
As the combat begins, Ashesta concentrates for a split second and a wave of cold spread out from her. She pauses for a moment to gather some of that energy, and infuses it into a small ball of fire she sends at a trio of healthy goblins unfortunate enough to be packed together.

Swift action to Control Temperature down two bands (unless otherwise stated, I assume the base temperature is moderate.)
Move action to "gather snow" (but Eschew Materials obviates the need for actual snow.)
Standard action to cast a Snowcasted Lesser Fireball (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20020227a), with +2 CL and +2 damage/die from Frozen Magic and Cold Spell Specialization. [roll0], DC 18 Reflex save for half, [roll1] to beat SR.

OOC:
Lesser Fireball is neat.

Erik Vale
2014-06-16, 07:47 PM
Abbant walks back from the goblins, a spear of eldritch energy lances from his hands to the lead goblin.

Move: 40ft Back.
Standard: EB with Skirmish.
H: [roll0]
CC: [roll1]
D: [roll2]+[roll3]
CBD: [roll4]

Looks like a hit for 10.

Arilus
2014-06-16, 11:38 PM
Irritated that the most imposing of the goblins—if any goblin can truly be called "imposing"—chose her direction to blindly charge towards, though the fact that she spoke Goblin yet could barely understand his gibbering amused Irthosirthir. Partially turning her attention away for a short moment, she assessed the state of the battlefield. Only one other goblin from the central group, an arbalist, managed to overcome the swirling distortions she created in their midst. Her new companions were very competently dealing with the other two clusters of small humanoids.

She considered taking wing towards the rest of her team and hoping the other goblins did not notice her dark purple form against the night sky, but pride won over her distaste of being exposed: it is just a goblin. Besides, she would need her party to trust her, and abandoning Abbant seemed like a poor way to accomplish that. She channelled her magic for an instant before moving away from the goblin and casting another, more involved spell.

Swift Action: Cast distract assailant, DC 18
Move Action: Move 30 ft away from the goblin leader
Standard Action: Cast slow (with cloaked casting if distract assailant succeeded), DC 20+1=21

Distract assailant was cast to enable cloaked casting, but if Abbant did not take his turn before Irthosirthir it would also help his eldritch blast.

Just keeping count, so far Irthosirthir has cast two first-level spells and three third-level spells.

Also, now that I know sleight of hand can be used every time to conceal spellcasting, Irthosirthir will do just that out of habit. I'll only bother with rolls if I think it actually matters. Since Irthosirthir would know if any of the goblins were spellcasters because of arcane sight, and because she's not hidden at the moment, it clearly would be an irrelevant roll at the moment.

Lexin
2014-06-17, 03:41 AM
Allain sees the slaughter of the goblins, and that only after a few short seconds only one or two is capable of attacking them.
She keeps playing, deciding to let her teammates finish them, but keeps an eye on the sole goblin archer who is still capable of attacking.

Move action: Moving (to a place where most of her teammates would be in range of her Bardic Music)
Standard: Prepare Action - if the Goblin Archer who is still capable of attacking is still standing after all other teammates move, she would cast Sleep on him DC 15 will (if there are others nearby they would be affected too, up to total of glorious 4 HD)

... it is first time I am using this spell...

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-17, 06:48 AM
The explosion sent Valeria's horse rearing as rocks and pebbles came crashing down on them but a quick reaction and a raised shield had her horse scampering away and her shield warding off all but a few sharp rocks. With an unsatisfied she eyed the goblins above. The following screams gave her some satisfaction, the others seemed to be dealing with them just fine. She halted her horse in the middle of the path, looking up at the two cliffs with a thin hope that one of them would be stupid enough to try and escape this way.

Reflex save: [roll0]

Sliver
2014-06-17, 01:50 PM
The fireball destroys the poor cluster of goblins, leaving one of the throwers still staggered and sick from the lights. As one of the archers manages to shake off the nausea and readies to shoot, it, the other archer and the third goblin fall asleep.

Hooray!

And then things go... Surprising.

From the left side, above the rocks, five belts of various alchemical substances fall down on you. Were there more goblins hidden there that were not revealed by the explosion?!

One of the belts falls into the wagon, the bottles exploding and splashing everywhere! One of the undead takes a direct hit from the belt, taking 4 fire damage, 6 acid damage, 2 electric damage and 1 cold damage. It also ignites on fire and risks igniting the wagon. The other undead take splash damage of 2 fire damage, 1 acid, 1 electric and 1 cold.

Another two belts fall between Allain and Valeria, but they aren't simply splashing them with harmful materials! One of the bottles explodes and releases a vile scream while another causes a sickening cloud to spread! 6 sonic damage, Fort DC 15 or deaf for 1 round. Fort DC 10 or be Nauseated for 1 round. 4 Fire damage, 2 acid damage, 1 cold damage and one electric damage.

One belt shatters harmlessly on the opposing rocky wall, but the last one hits the cold spirit of Neil. 2 sonic damage, Fort 15 or deaf for 1 round, fort 15 or be nauseated for 3 rounds (probably immune but hey), 2 fire damage, 6 electricity damage, 6 acid damage.

Well, at least you are not Abbant.

Abbant moves away from the goblin, but he is unable to move quite as much as he intended while keeping in view of him. Still, he releases a bolt of arcane might, angering it further. Irth distracts it and slows down the goblin, but he runs to Abbant nonetheless.

Managing to barely reach Abbant, the goblin roars in its native tongue. "I READ FOR YOUR DEATH, TO THE NIGHT WITH YOU!" He says and drops his axe at Abbant's feet. And then you see it.

Two sets of explosive runes, one on each side of the axe blades. And for those fluent in goblin, the raging leader just screamed what it is written.

*BOOM*

At least Abbant took the goblin far away from Irth!

Abbant takes 42 damage. The force of the blast knocks him backwards and into the rocks and he rolls down the path he recently sneaked on by, dealing an additional 9 damage.

It's also raining goblin. The raging leader did not survive.

Somewhere else, completely unrelated.

The two looked up as the explosion sends a light tremor through the land. "The goblins got themselves killed..."

"And you said I shouldn't bother teaching them how to read a couple of sentences."

"He wouldn't be so eager to learn if you told him why."

"He? Don't talk about them as if they are anything but dirt."

"I'll send a message to the second group."

"You do that."

Lexin
2014-06-17, 02:40 PM
Shocked by the sudden assault, Allain stops playing, although the melody still stays in the minds of everyone who heard it, accompanying them during the fight.

Allain vs Deafen [roll0]
Allain vs Nausea [roll1]
Horse vs Deafen [roll2]
Horse vs Nausea [roll3]
The Inspire Defense would work for the next 10 rounds.
No actions for this round yet, I will wait for others.

Arilus
2014-06-17, 03:09 PM
For a moment, Irthosirthir stared dumbfounded at the explosions rocking the ground around her. Her wits returned quickly, and she was glad the goblin leader decided to go after Abbant instead of herself; it looked rather painful. Seeing that the goblin was utterly destroyed by the blast, she decided to investigate the source of the other explosions. She took flight in that direction, attempting to gain enough altitude to establish a line-of-sight with whatever launched the bottles.

Looking behind her at Abbant, he seemed to still be moving. Pointing at the rest of the party, she whispered: "Abbant is wounded. He could probably use medical attention."

Irthosirthir cast message to communicate with the team without revealing her position to whatever threw the bottles.

Erik Vale
2014-06-17, 04:50 PM
'Read for your-'
Abbant looks down, spots the tell tale signs of Explosive Runes, looks up, and then it hits him.
"Oh-"
Whatever he was planning on saying is promptly cut off by the loud explosion. And the lack of consciousness.

He comes through a few seconds later. For a moment he's sure his ears are ringing before he identifies that his Ghost-Sound spell is still active, which he promptly dismisses. Looking around for a moment Abbant notes he's out of any imidiate danger.
"Andreste."
Abbant smiles as his belt glows slightly and healing energy flows through him, months of healing happening in moments, but with pain relief.
[roll0]
Away from books, I think it's 2d8+8. Abbant is at 9HP+That.

Edit: Ok, should be 28 HP now.

Sønderjye
2014-06-18, 03:47 AM
Niel screams as the Zombie beside him suddenly explodes in a acidic inferno, his voice sounding like cracking parchment. He stumbles back and shouts to his minions to make it stop.

The badger doesn't get a chance to react since it has been moving out of range and dissolves but the zombies start smacking their burning comrade.

Munin flies to Niel and tries to calm his master down. It looks nerveous but this doesn't seem to be the first time it has happened.

He doesn't respond to Irthosirthir's vague voice.

The zombie directly hit is down and the others have 4 hp left.
You said the other undead take splash damage, does that include Niel?

Lexin
2014-06-18, 09:42 AM
Allain rides closer to the enemies who have fallen to her spell and directs her sword to finish them off one by one. While doing that she tries to spot enemies on the left side of the road.
Allain looks around desperately trying to spot the new enemies, calming her heavily wounded horse. She rides few steps away from her companions, so they are no longer easy targets for area attack and casts a simple spell trying to finish the goblins she put to sleep.

Move action: move closer.
Spot check [roll0]
Standard Action: Cast Acid Splash Cantrip, at random goblin.

If spot found nothing:
Standard: ...unbuffed attack, because it would be a waste of resources
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Most likely effect: I scratch it and it wakes up. Edit: Heh hehehe :smallbiggrin: I knew it.

If spot found enemies:
Deep Slumber on enemies. Will DC 17 (HD limit 10)

Sliver
2014-06-18, 02:32 PM
Allain moves through the path Abbant and Irth took to flank the goblins and finds Abbant heavily battered but slowly healing himself, and walks past him and begins to spray acid on sleeping goblins, killing them.

Neil, who managed to not get burned himself by the fire due to his corageous hiding-under-wagon action, screams like a little girl at a cockroach. "KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE" he would say, if it was not fire that he was killing. Then again, killing fire with fire seems like a classic adventurer approach. Neil must not be a true adventurer. A traitor, perhaps.

The three remaining zombies begin to beat the forth, destroyed one, causing bits of burning rotten flesh to spray everywhere, almost hitting Neil too! Thankfully, the fire dies out without causing any more damage.

Irth flies from one side of the rocky edge to the other, scouting from above. She notices three goblins climbing and trying to get away from the group, running for their lives.

Combat is over. Going after the remaining goblins is irrelevant besides their loot and an RP decision, so here is the rewardy bit now:

Everyone: 977xp.

2 Oil of Nausea

DR322:

Grenade-like weapon with a 10’ range increment.
Oil of Nausea results in 1d4 rounds of Nausea (FortNeg, DC 15) on a direct hit. All creatures within a 5’ radius of the hit location are Nauseated for 1 round (FortNeg, DC 10).

2 Screaming Flask

Complete Mage p135:
Pulling the cork causes a high shrieked scream, dealing 1d8 sonic damage in a 15ft cone, DC15 fort to avoid being deafened for 1 minute. I used an alternative activation so you are allowed too: Thrown as a grenade, 1d8 sonic damage in a 10ft burst and DC15 fort to avoid deafen for 1 round.

8 Alchemist's Fire, 8 Acid, 5 Alchemist's Frost and 5 Alchemist's Spark (1d8 cold or electrical damage, 1 splash damage, 10 ft increments, Eb p121 both)

Arilus
2014-06-18, 04:04 PM
Seeing the remaining goblins frantically fleeing awoke Irthosirthir's predatory nature, but she did her best to ignore it. She hesitantly decided to return to the group and began picking through the corpses to see if any of them had anything worth taking. She knew she should feign concern for her companions, but her avarice was too strong to push aside. As she was searching the bodies, she considered eating her fill while the meat was here, but the stench of smoldering zombie spoiled her substantial appetite.

Erik Vale
2014-06-18, 07:51 PM
Abbant continues healing before anything else.

Ok, no + to it. Will stop once nearly fully healed. Starting at 20 HP.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[Belt Switch]
[roll2]
[roll3] -Stop, at 56 HP. Abbant has 1 charge of 1 healing belt remaining.
[roll4]

After sitting for a while, and linking to the belt he has wrapped around his chest like a bandolier, Abbant has gone from rather damaged internal organs, bruises, bruised bones, a variety of cuts, to just a couple of busies and cuts.

Of course, by the time this is done and Abbant is walking towards the battlefield, it's simply time to loot the bodies.

Vedhin
2014-06-18, 09:55 PM
Ashesta concentrates for a moment, returning the temperature to normal. "It appears we have won. In the future, it looks like a should ready some lesser spells of healing."
Yes, now that you're traveling with people who heal only through conventional means, you'll actually want those. Although this just means more work for me.
Oh no, you might actually have to do something other than sit around all day. And I wasn't expecting the road to have dangerous opponents yet.

Erik Vale
2014-06-18, 10:05 PM
"There's a reason I brought healing belts... If I find a way to travel though time, I'm going to find out who invented the spell known as Explosive Runes, and I'm going to remove them from history."

Sønderjye
2014-06-19, 07:32 AM
Niel has fallen to the ground as Munin reaches him. The raven lands on his shoulder and whisper in his ears. It tries to calm him and reminds him why is even serving a sunguise in the first place. The words strike Niel as a hammer and with the origin of his fear almost extinguished he puts his hands under his body and slowly regain his footing.

The fear is replaced with a burning sensation in all of his body and the fact that he knew it was coming doesn't lessen it the smallest bit. With very slow and controlled steps his bare feet carry him towards the wagon. Just for a brief moment he allows himself to imagine how the grass between his toes and the small rocks trying to pierce through his skin would feel to the others. He places himself in his chair and starts giving orders to his minions.

The 3 remaining zombies carry dead one(or more dead if you wish) out of the wagon and starts digging a hole.

Munin leaves his shoulder and will ask all members of the group individually how bad they are wounded starting with Abbant since he just learned to fly.

How bad does the wagon look?

Erik Vale
2014-06-19, 07:36 AM
"I'm fine Munin. Just some scratches now."

Abbant continues to search the goblins, annoyed by their lack of coinage while carefully handling the flasks.

Sønderjye
2014-06-19, 07:42 AM
Niel concentrates on getting into the numb state of mind that he uses to handle the burning pain.

I am glad to hear the raven says before flying off to the others.

When it is done checking on the group it bring one of the digging zombies around and make it help loot.

Lexin
2014-06-19, 09:54 AM
Allain comes back to the main road using the same path as before. On the way there she notices that Abbant looks much better now and nods absentmindedly.
When she joins the main group she stops to use her own healing belt and says
"They gave us much more trouble than I expected. Does anyone need help?" she asks and walks around trying to find out if any of her teammates or their mounts needed help.

Healing Belt [roll0]
In case the above is low (second charge) : [roll1]

Arilus
2014-06-19, 10:51 AM
Upon seeing that the goblins only seemed to have the explosive flasks on them, Irthosirthir's frustration came to a head. She did not chase down the fleeing goblins and the dead ones here did not have any items of value to her. Though the scent of burning rotten flesh permeated the air, Irthosirthir would be damned if none of her desires would be sated. Tearing the arm off of a goblin, she crouch and started eating after mildly cooking the meat. She was still quite young despite her age, and she rather childishly remained brooding in a foul mood. To attempt to get her mind off of her dissatisfaction, she watched the zombie dig and tried to figure out why. The only rationale that made sense was that they were digging a grave for the one that died (again), but why would they be doing such a thing?

Just realized I totally forgot to put this in earlier. The meat was partially cooked with prestidigitation. Goblins aren't the most hygienic race out there, after all.

Sliver
2014-06-20, 12:09 AM
With the re-dead undead buried, the goblins looted and eaten, the horses healed, you continue walking through the narrow passage. After about twenty minutes, you come across a wolf. But... It has rope tied around it's neck, leashing it to the rocks, tightly jammed between them. The rope looks chewed, but is still whole. The wolf whines and pulls at the rope as it sees you, a hopeful look in its miserable eyes. A note seems to be stuck between its neck and the rope.

Arilus
2014-06-20, 01:49 AM
Seeing the pitiable status the wolf was in gave Irthosirthir the unpleasant pang of empathy. While dismounting to investigate, she secretly wondered which face to show her group: admission to caring about an animal left alone and tethered or pretending it was mere curiosity. Slowly approaching the wolf, she examined it whilst permiting it to smell her as she slowly went for the note while keeping an eye out for traps. She was no expert in handling animals, and you could never be sure how any unfamiliar animal would react. She she would surely regret allowing this abhorrent compassion dictate her actions later.

Irthosirthir settled on waiting for a companion to speak so she could gauge their attitudes. Either explanation for her decision to investigate would be true, even if one has a lot more of it than the other.

As always, Irthosirthir takes 10 on her spot, listen, and search checks. If that's not permitted, then rolls are below.
Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll2]

Sliver
2014-06-20, 01:53 AM
The wolf crouches low and whines as Irth walks to it, but as she lets it smell her it licks her hand before she pulls out the folded note from under the rope. Examining the wolf, it seems thin and dirty, but not injured. Irth notices crows flying above or sitting among the rocks, perhaps waiting for the wolf to die.

Erik Vale
2014-06-20, 04:32 AM
Abbant moves towards the wolf, pulling out his field provisions box from his bag of holding.
"What's it say?"

Lexin
2014-06-20, 04:56 AM
"Huh, a domesticated wolf?" Allain murmurs, more to herself than anyone else.
"Do you think it would explode too?" she asks, curious, looking at the note.

Erik Vale
2014-06-20, 06:52 AM
Abbant's eyes suddenly widen.
"Uh... You may want to let me read that first, I know how to... Spot, such runes."

Sønderjye
2014-06-20, 06:58 AM
As the undeads are digging Niel summons James, the fured humanlooking badger, and give him a couple of commands. James finds a suitable rock and writes something on it with his claw. Before the grave is closed a gold coin is put over each of the dead zombie eyes. The stone is then placed on the grave. It smells of freshly dug earth.
Here lies Tio Magul
?? - The 6th day in the month of the dragon. The 49th year of king Salomon IV
He served the course well until his true death.
May his spirit find rejoice in a better world

-------------------------------------------------------------

Poor creature Niel thinks. He sends Munin to read what the paper says.

Vedhin
2014-06-20, 08:45 AM
Ashesta joined Irthosirthir with the wolf, speaking calmly to it and trying to get it to accept her.

It figures that I take the Unnatural Aura trait for the flavor, and keep wanting to make Wild Empathy checks. :smallsigh:
Wild Empathy: [roll0]

Arilus
2014-06-20, 11:26 AM
"If there are any explosive runes, they seem to require verbal activation," Irthosirthir said. Seeing nothing that alarmed her and doubting the note was dangerous, she unfolded and read it, holding it at an angle to permit the others to read over her should if they so desired.

Well, let's go with a knowledge (arcana) check. I assume taking 10 is fine in this situation, so it's 10+16=26.

Sliver
2014-06-20, 12:32 PM
Sometimes, you are just wrong.

Unfolding the paper as Ashesta and Munin approach while Abbant voices his concerns, the note reads. "Do you think it will live?"

22 damage to Irth, Ashesta and Munin. Abbant and Allain get a reflex save vs DC of 15 to halve the damage.

As the note explodes, you hear a pained yelp. Moments later, after the dust settles, the wolf is laying on the ground, bleeding and unconscious.

Arilus
2014-06-20, 01:26 PM
Her ears ringing and head throbbing, Irthosirthir decides it would be prudent to take Abbant's advice more seriously in the future. She thinks as she takes a blessed bandage out of her pouch to and applies it to the wolf. She did not have a way to do anything further for the animal, but at the very least it would not die due to her carelessness.

More explosive runes... The goblins having an axe inscribed with one did not seem that odd, but encountering another one here was highly suspect. Fortunately she had a chance to see what was written before the detonation: "do you think it will live?" She could not presume to extrapolate motive or identity, but the goblins and this note must be related. And whoever or whatever was responsible was incredibly sadistic as evidenced by the question posed by the note. Sadists were never fun to deal with. Most importantly, was the responsible party targeting them specifically or simply anyone who went this way?

"Would someone be willing to help the wolf?" she asked, looking at the rest of the team with obvious shame on her face. She figured her expression was enough to communicate her feelings on what she had done. Sure, they got valuable information from the note, but there must have been a precaution she could have taken to mitigate the trap. The rest of the team was wounded as well, but none of them seemed to be in as bad shape as the wolf. Unfortunately the group would be able to abduce where her soft spot was based on her question, which could be dangerous, but it could not be helped.

Lexin
2014-06-20, 03:48 PM
For a short moment shock replaces the usual cheerful expression on Allain's face.
'But... but I told them to watch out? Why, oh why would they all go there and try to read it?' she struggles trying to comprehend her teammates actions.
'They didn't even try to see if the note was magic. And that's such an easy feat that all of us probably can do it!'
Shock changes into a tired expression for a second ('Who am I working with?' she asks herself) before being masked once again with her usual carefree expression (though toned down in response to the current events)

Reflex save [roll0] vs DC 15 Of course.
Healing belt charge [roll1]

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-20, 03:57 PM
During the looting Valeria made sure to acquire two flasks of acid and two of fire unless anyone find it objectionable, letting the others stash or do with the rest what they will. These things might come in handy at some point.

Valeria had never been particularly fond of animals so as she saw the others rush to the wolf she stayed back and let them fuss over it. The following explosion buried out the sound of her sigh as it's echoes thundered through the rocky passage. After seeing the members of the party still standing and somewhat in one piece she allowed herself to put her face in her palm for a few moments before she dismounted.

"Are... are you alright?" she asked hesitantly as she warily moved towards the blasted people.

71/84 HP

Shield of Faith Active (+2 Deflection)

Vedhin
2014-06-20, 04:00 PM
Ashesta staggers back from the force of the explosion. Darurndel squawks is surprise, despite not really being "there" for the explosion to effect.

Once she regains her bearings, she speaks in reply to Irthosirthir. "I am willing, but I will not be able to heal anyone other than myself until the morning." She looks around a bit. "That said, now would likely be a good time to make camp."

Sønderjye
2014-06-20, 04:02 PM
No Munin! Niel communicates through the mental link. He is about to get up from his chair and endure the returning pain but relaxes when the dust settles and sees his raven is alright(more or less). He sighs as he thinks I am probably going to regret this.

Master will take care of it

Niel mumbles some works on a strange language and waves a hand around and over the next 30 seconds 10 a centaur ant hybrids (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Formian_Worker). 8 of them immediately start assaulting the wolf and in some strange way they makes him look as new. They then progress to doing the same with Munin. When every burn is removed from Munin he asks Does anyone else need healing?
Eventually Niel will have the workers look at the wagon who took a more or less direct hit from the splash

Formidian workers have these two abilities
Cure Serious Wounds (Sp): Eight workers together can heal a creature’s wounds as though using the cure serious wounds spell (caster level 7th). This is a full-round action for all eight workers.
Make Whole (Sp): Three workers together can repair an object as though using the make whole spell (caster level 7th). This is a fullround action for all three workers.
With no limitation to how many times they can use it.
These guys will stay around for 6 minuts.

Lexin
2014-06-20, 04:07 PM
"One vote in favor of making a camp." says Allain.
"I wouldn't mind some healing, but it is nothing pressing, you would better tend to them first." she says, pointing at the group who were in the middle of the blast.

Vedhin
2014-06-20, 04:11 PM
Ashesta starts as she sees the creatures apparently attack the wolf, but before she can do anything to stop them it becomes evident that they are healing it.
"I could also use healing, though it is not urgent and I can heal myself if these creatures have a limited time."

Arilus
2014-06-20, 05:30 PM
"I could use some mending at some point as well," Irthosirthir replies. She thinks for a moment and decides it would be safer for everyone involved, including herself, to let the group know that these runes could not be detected as far as she could tell. She made sure she had everyone's attention then proceeded.

"When fighting the goblins, I had a spell active that allows me to see magical auras and the goblin leader's axe did not appear to have one. Just now, I examined the area and the note for traps and there was nothing to indicate a threat here either. Whoever is making these runes can hide them from magical and mundane detection," she warned. Irthosirthir was confident in her abilities but was not sure whether her companions would believe her or think she was lying or inept. Regardless, she felt she needed to warn them. She did not want another one of these to blow up near her again.

"Also, the note said 'do you think it will live?' " she said while moving her head to indicate to wolf, knowing that not everyone was close enough to see.

Tantum Umbra
2014-06-20, 05:46 PM
"But you had no magical detection this time correct? You should have easily missed the signs during the battle earlier.. things were.. heated wouldn't you say? Explosions and alchemical concoctions flying everywhere"

Sønderjye
2014-06-20, 06:03 PM
Who can hide magic so effectively beside the Sunguises? and there was something wrong with the explosion before, why would the goblin blow himself to pieces? Niel thinks. Are we being tested by Lord?. However he chooses to keep his suspicion to himself.

Arilus
2014-06-20, 07:00 PM
"Though error is always a possibility, the only thing near Abbant and myself at the time was the goblin with the axe in question. The explosions did not happen until the battle was already over. I took the time to check for signs of traps here, and I should have seen signs of the rune even without arcane aid," Irthosirthir explained. She would normally be irritated at Valeria's suggestion, but if she herself had not been the one to see an absence of a magical aura or any indication of a trap, Irthosirthir would think she had made a mistake as well.

She almost wished she had made mistakes, because being more careful was easier to do than face a menace she would not be able to detect.

Erik Vale
2014-06-21, 03:29 AM
Abbant gets up from where he's jumped.
"Explosive runes is a hard to mundanely detect spell, being a magical trap people are likely to hide it with Magic Aura. I'm however really good at detecting traps, so please let me read suspect letters in the future, please. Oh, and yes I would like the attention of the Formian's."

Abbant moves to calm the wolf, which it'll likely need.

HP: Full after the workers.

I don't have wild empathy, but perhaps handle animal: [roll0] will help.

Arilus
2014-06-21, 04:37 AM
"I do was not a matter of competence, but rather carelessness. But the duty is yours if you prefer it," Irthosirthir conceded. She was confident in her skills, but if the quadribrach wanted to put his on neck on the line she would not stop him. The more she thought about it, the more she thought she might'e actually seen a rune on that axe. After her dramatic statement of hidden magical auras, she was shamed even further to find the need to correct herself. She might have even failed to investigate the note thoroughly.

"I'm starting to think I might have actually seen an aura on that axe and skimped on inspecting...my apologies, this is unlike me. I don't believe my head is on right today," she confessed. This was the first whole truth she told the party but she preferred them thinking she was lazy than incompetent. And there were no convincing excuses she could come up with.

Irthosirthir beckoned the formicine outsiders to her, suppressing her innate resistance to magic while they healed her wounds. She did not want them to return from whence they came before the burns and lacerations covering her were taken care of. She took pride in her dark purple scales, but the damaged ones would likely take longer to look normal.

She turned her attention back to the wolf, she thought she might start to feel better engaging in analysis. Why was this wolf here? To demonstrate sadism? To spur the group on to find who did this? To get them close enough to trigger the trap? None of the possibilities she could come up with were a satisfying explanation. Perhaps Abbant, who seemed to know a little more than her on how to deal with animals, would discover some hint to the bizarre situation.

Sliver
2014-06-21, 05:04 AM
The wolf opens its eyes slowly and lifts its head, looking at the group. It raises to its legs at the encouragement of Abbant and sees that the rope is now torn off from the blast. The wolf barks and licks Abbant's face with joy.

Yes, it is growing quite late so you could set up camp, although the passage is quite narrow and others would be able to see you from above without you seeing them...

Erik Vale
2014-06-21, 05:15 AM
Abbant smiles as the wolf likes him.
"Hey boy, aren't you a happy domesticated wolf huh?"
Abbant tries, mostly vainly, to settle the wolf while speeking happily, scratching it a fair bit. And for the first time today, Rampage speaks.
"Please no wolf. Zombies bad themselves." It's a struggle of slow words, translated by the pearl.
"Please, you're just happy to finally be walking about and having me feed you instead. As to the Axe, it's understandable. You probably dismissed it as some minor enchantment to increase it's striking power, however let us all take this as a second reminder as to not being c()ky? Why don't we boy, Ahhh I bet you haven't been scratched in ages huh? Now. As to sleeping here, I'd be able to spot things coming by their light over the ridges, but this is a rather good spot to get ambushed if someone realises we're hear... But not too much further might be a good idea."

Arilus
2014-06-21, 11:03 AM
Abbant's understanding attitude angered Irthosirthir. It made her feel better and ingratiate herself to him, which in turn made her upset that she was so easily manipulated. Even if Abbant's statement was genuine, which it seemed to be, she despised having her emotions influenced by someone other than herself. She quickly quashed both the positive and negative aspects and examined the area.

"We are exposed here, but I can fly to the top of these cliffs as a lookout. But since none of you have wings, it would be difficult to change shifts. I think we should continue until we find a more secure location."

She privately wondered if they should being the wolf along. She felt a desire to do so, but what if that was the entity that set the trap wanted? She had searched the wolf thoroughly, but she cast a spell on herself to examine any magic present.

Irthosirthir cast detect magic and investigated the wolf and the immediate area. If there are any magical auras she can see, the spellcraft check is 10+18=28. (Wow, that can detect up to level 13 spells if such a thing existed.)

Lexin
2014-06-21, 02:04 PM
Allain sighs silently "I said I am in favor of making a camp. I din't say we should make it here.
Let's go find a safer place."
She turns to Abbant and Irthosirthir "It seems that a lot of us can indeed find and recognize traps for what they are. I suggest using these abilities next time." she says, then adds "That said, I should inform you that I have a lot of practice in disarming such things, so if you find one and aren't completely sure you can deal with it on your own, let me handle them." It was a difficult decision (volunteering to being first in line to something what can blow up in your face), but necessary all the same.

Erik Vale
2014-06-22, 05:16 AM
"I'm not good with disabling various traps so such might work."
Abbant will withdraw some food from his field provisions box for the wolf, seeking to get it to follow him.

Abbant will be taking 10 to handle the animal for the come trick, to see if it's learned it, if it hasn't then 20 for pushing it.

Sliver
2014-06-22, 08:20 AM
The wolf is so hungry that he begins to drool at the sight of food and follows Abbant, regardless of his animal skills. The sun is about to set when you find a cave in the rocks, offering a better location to settle for the night. It only goes about seventy feet into the rocks, and you see sings of old camps in the form of ash and miscellaneous junk.

Sønderjye
2014-06-22, 11:29 AM
Niel makes preparations for camp. James will stand watch with orders to wake him up if it notice any dangers.

Niel decided not to approach the wolf. Typically animals weren't friendly towards him and he didn't want the group to think of him as soft.

Arilus
2014-06-22, 01:30 PM
Irthosirthir was grateful that the campsite was a cave, which was always a dramatically more comfortable an environment for her. She was keeping an eye on the wolf, however. She could not help but feel whatever seemed to be antagonizing them wanted the group to bring the wolf with them. Her inspection of the wolf did not seem to yield anything suspicious, however, so she saw no reason to object to bringing the canine with them.

"I will take the first watch. My trance requires less time than your sleep does."

Erik Vale
2014-06-22, 09:21 PM
"I'll take second watch then..."
Having calmed the wolf somewhat, Abbant sets about examining it, feeing it and Rampage, and going to sleep. He also takes the time to search the cave for any unusual signs.

Detect Magic, Deathwatch, Scent [Rampage, does he smell 'normal'], Lifsight.
Knowledges [Nature, 10 for 19], Search [10 for 28], Listen [10 for 18] as to if it makes normal sounding sounds, Spot [10 for 24 vs disguises], Other knowledge/profession roles as might be relevent [19 for knowledge, 23 if arcarna, 12 for professions].

Taking 20 on search throughout the cave for 38.

Lexin
2014-06-23, 08:34 AM
"I could take the last one, after I recover my spent magic." says Allain, tired after this eventful first day.
She stays near the middle of the cave while Abbant looks around, happy that someone else is as paranoid as her.
"Don't forget to check if there aren't any hidden entrances." she says after a moment.

Sliver
2014-06-23, 08:55 AM
Abbant examines the wolf as it gobbles down on the dry meat. The wolf seems normal and non-magical, but his life aura is weak, probably due to the poor health and the state of near starvation... The wolf's stomach is unable to hold much of the food and he ends up throwing up in the cave's floor, whining miserably. It will need quite a bit of care before it fully recovers.

The cave seems safe enough. Abbant doesn't find any traps or hidden exits.

Arcane casters need 8 hours of rest to recover. While keeping watch wouldn't be an extensive activity, any distractions will count against your rest. It notes specifically in the rules that things like an elven meditation or needing less sleep due to ring of substenance don't reduce the 8 hour requirement of resting to regain spells.

Vedhin
2014-06-23, 08:59 AM
As they settle in Ashesta, moves away from the group, and withdraws some sticks from her supplies. A wave of cold rolls out from around her as she casts a spell. After she is done, the cold leaves as it came.

Casting omen of peril. It tells me, for the next hour if we stay here, what level of danger we face. It has a 79% chance of giving the right answer, after Snowcasting and Reserves of Strength. It's from the Spell Compendium.

Also, going to look at the wolf with naturewatch, now that we are not in any apparent danger.

Sliver
2014-06-24, 07:08 AM
After examining the wolf, and then examining it some more, and then a bit more, and then probably starting a debate over the condition of the wolf, and then trying to draw upon the knowledge of your ancestors about malnourished wolves, you finally decide that this wolf is... Malnourished. With some care, it'll be able to make a full recovery. Unless it blows up...

Abbant, during your watch you hear a flap of wings outside the cave. It quickly stops and is replaced by a different sound, of something brushing along the stone outside.

Erik Vale
2014-06-24, 07:22 AM
Abbant makes some quick whispered motions before sneaking out of the of the cave, looking for the intruder. Once out he simply and quietly speaks.
[B]"Hello. So is this a hunting ground of yours, or your nest?"

Round 1:
Concealed Ghost Sound [24 seconds later, shout alarm at the sound of 20 voices [max] for 6 seconds]. Taking 10 for sleight of hand to hide.
Move from 35ft ahead of the furthest sleeper to 10ft into the cave.
Round 2:
Move 5ft out of the cave, looking to the lights source. Speak. 11ish seconds should have past Taking 10 on hide and move silently checks, might surprise the creature. Taking 10 on knowledge rolls. Detect magic deactivates as it's nolonger concentrated on.

Sliver
2014-06-25, 09:06 AM
Abbant moves out of the cave and speaks up as he sees a black raven. The raven seems to have been painting... No, writing, something on the wall above the entrance, using a brush that it held with its beak. It is spooked by you and gasps, dropping the brush but quickly grabbing it with its claws.

"You scared me, kind sir..." It says, panting. "I was just..." It stumbles over the words and begins to fly up.

Erik Vale
2014-06-25, 05:07 PM
"Calm. I won't hurt you. Deliver you're message."
Abbant dismisses his ghost sound. He then looks to the message.

Taking 10 on search for 28. There wouldn't happen to be explosive runes there would there? Delivered by the brush actually being a wand or wanderous item because the bird's a familiar.
Looking around for other sources of life-light.

Sliver
2014-06-25, 10:27 PM
Assuming that Abbant isn't screaming that so he doesn't wake his companions, the raven either doesn't hear or simply ignores him.

Then Abbant does something weird. Instead of trying to detect magic, he shapes sand to give him a boost and search the word. And it's fiiiiiine.

What is the word? Bird! I sai-

No, the word is "would". What comes next? You'll never know!

Erik Vale
2014-06-26, 02:50 AM
Abbant tilits his head.
"Would? Really? I wonder whom it was actually messaging since that's not a explosive rune..."
Abbant casts detect magic. Should he find nothing unusual with the message, he will destroy it with a motion and a thought of a word so foul to say it unpretected is lethal... He'll then turn his stool back to sand and return that sand to his bag, returning to keep watch.

Cast Detect magic.
Focus on the word [Would], should it be nonmagical:
-Use Baleful Utterance to destroy the ink and thus the word, causing no structural damage.
-Turn the Seat back to sand.
-Return to my watch.

Sliver
2014-06-26, 11:59 AM
The writing is not an object. You can't destroy it that way... I'll pretend you did it in some way because it doesn't matter enough to delay you, but remember it for the future. I can't see how you could argue that it is "one solid object"...

The rest of the night is quite uneventful and you wake up, make your preparations of spells, camp packing and whatnot, and set on. You continue through the narrow path until you reach...

A dead end.

That's it. The path ends abruptly with the rock wall curving around... There don't seem to be any paths to go around and it would take you at least a couple of hours to head back until you find a different way, and it would be quite more difficult than this one is supposed to be. The walls around you are about thirty feet high, so perhaps you could just climb...

Sønderjye
2014-06-26, 12:18 PM
In the morning Niel summon James and takes 10 on the bluff check to extend the duration to 12 hours.

James search check: [roll0]
Yes I know he's not good at it.

Niel wants to see how his team handles the situation so he refrains from comming with any suggestions. To pretend that he actually is helping, he orders james to go and examine the rocks where the path was supposed to be.

Arilus
2014-06-26, 12:20 PM
"It would be trivial for me to get over, but if we decide to press on we will have to abandon the horses," Irthosirthir said while eyeing the walls. Whilst this path fit in with her personal abilities, she doubted the group would want to take it. Losing the mounts and the presumed difficulty of Neil's minions making it over seemed like a high price to pay.

Erik Vale
2014-06-26, 06:06 PM
"And the Niel carriers, unless we want to try and force some sort of rock fall."
Abbant looks around, investigating the dead end.
"Perhaps you can fly up to take a look. Given what's been occurring I wouldn't put it past whoever's playing with us to set up some sort of illusion or wall of stone spell."

Taking 10 on search for 28, taking 10 on knowledge engineering [19] as to how to bring it down safely, taking 10 on knowledge nature [19] to see if there's anything about the dead end that looks unusual, and touching the wall to see if it's an illusion.
Detect Magic and See Invisibility seem relevent here and are up.

Arilus
2014-06-26, 06:28 PM
"Fair point," Irthosirthir said while stretching out her wings. She had figured the barrier would lead to immediate dismissal, but while they were here it couldn't hurt to check for alternatives.

Irthosirthir casts detect magic to help pinpoint any magic in the area.
Also, though I suspect anything will be immediately apparent, she'll take 10 on spot and listen checks for a sum of 22.
She'll also take 10 on a search check on anything that looks suspicious from above for a sum of 25. If she does spot anything that warrants attention and needs to stay in the air, she'll do the fly-glide-fly tactic to stay aloft without wearing her <12 HD wings out.

Sønderjye
2014-06-27, 03:59 AM
They don't think very far ahead do they?Irthosirthir, Master asks if you can use your wings and see what is on the other side?

Sliver
2014-06-27, 12:40 PM
You examine the wall carefully and your suspicions are correct, as you find out when the illusion becomes transparent. As you can see the path beyond the wall, you also notice something more concerning... The illusion was larger than you thought at first, extending behind you and covering the walls in a thin layer to hide... You avert your gaze from the writing that is high above the ground, 20ft behind you, on each side of the path. You know what that is... But you can also see that just beyond the illusionary wall, 10ft ahead of you, are explosive runes too, in a similar position. Four sets of explosive runes...

"Caw caw!" A raven says, flying above you. It is not the same raven that Abbant had seen, but it is holding a brush very much like the one before. "Caw!" It repeats. "Would you please die?" It asks and the explosive runes go off. The explosions are far from you, not really catching any of you, but they are strong enough to shake the ground and destroy the walls, causing rocks to break off and block the path on both sides, leaving you in a 30ft long, 10ft wide hallway of stone.

The raven flies high above, almost disappearing among the clouds.

Vedhin
2014-06-27, 01:25 PM
I had nothing to do with this. I'm a crow, not a raven.
I should hope I would know that by now.

After the dust settles, Ashesta surveys the new terrain. "We should work on getting out of here before anything else shows up. It looks like we will have to dig or smash our way out."

Lexin
2014-06-27, 02:03 PM
Allain is quite happy that at least this time she was away from the explosion.
"Well, I won't be of too much help when moving the rubble and I would be more useful when looking for another entrance. That said, I will help either way and am open to suggestions." she says, looking at others.

Arilus
2014-06-27, 02:34 PM
Irthosirthir had barely gotten off the ground before yet another set of explosive runes went off, so she decided not to reconnoiter yet and assist with brainstorming a way to deal with the rubble.

"My magic is not suited for raw destruction, but I noticed some of yours' are. Could the debris be blasted away?" she inquires. Depending on the answer, she was thinking about checking the area out from above to keep the chance of any more surprises at a minimum.

Erik Vale
2014-06-27, 05:57 PM
"Yea... Just give me a moment to look and keep an eye out for that blasted bird... I'm going to take a look, wouldn't want the rock collapsing on our heads... Oh, and please figure out who've you pissed off recently so we can get them to stop with this."

Abbant dismounts, motioning for the wolf [he's yet to name him] to stay, and then moves into the rockfall to examine it, trying to see how he could safely clear a path, or at least widen it enough that Niel could get through.

[roll0] Engineering

Sliver
2014-06-28, 12:10 PM
Abbant examines the rocks and discerns which he could destroy with his powers so he can cause the bigger rocks to roll off harmlessly and clear the path. It is not a fast work, but it is done, and the bird seems to have flew off. You squeeze through and continue down the path.

An hour later, you see the way out into the open ahead of you, but once again, something is off... A dozen people, humans of plain appearance, stand just out of the path, packed tightly. They stare at you blankly, dull weapons in hand. There is about a hundred feet between you, but they don't move to close the distance.

Arilus
2014-06-28, 01:38 PM
The scene before them led Irthosirthir to instinctively cast a spell, causing her eyes to glow violet once again. After nervously looking around her, she studied the humans in front of them, trying to discern if they were an illusory distraction.

Irthosirthir casts arcane sight.
All skill checks are made by taking 10.
Sleight of hand spell concealment: 10+9=19
Will: [roll0]
Spot: 10+12=22
Listen: 10+12=22

Erik Vale
2014-06-28, 07:00 PM
"Taking bets, 1:1, they all have explosive runes somewhere on them."

Abbant makes a motion, readying a orb of inky black energy in his hands.

Ready a Eldritch Spear to attack the raven if I see it, or the 'people' if they approach.
If possible, various spot and knowledge checks to determine if they're actual humans, taking 10. Deathwatch only extends 60ft as does Detect magic, which turns off. Reminding again I have See Invisibility constantly active.
What radius is there life sight? If I have trouble seeing it in the day that's fine.

Sønderjye
2014-06-29, 05:20 AM
what is with that bird? Why would it want us dead? Is it an enemy of one of the others? Niel thinks. Master asks if anyone has any relationship with the murderous raven?

--------------------------
Now this is something you don't see everyday Munin says seeing the small army. Niel wants to hear the reaction of his perceptive allies so he doesn't engage. He does however ready a spell if the army proves hostile.

ready summon nature III to summon [roll0] orglash

Sliver
2014-06-29, 01:59 PM
Abbant notices a raven sitting on the shoulder of one of the men in front of the pack. A third one, but without a brush... It would take strong life auras to be seen in the day, ones that these people obviously lack.

Irth casts a spell and sees magical auras. Each of the people in front of her has a single aura on them, a moderate aura of Enchantment.

They stand there, waiting.

Arilus
2014-06-29, 03:22 PM
Irthosirthir was surprised when the auras on the humans were not characteristic of illusions but instead had the telltale markers of an enchantment. That was why they all exhibited blunted affect.

"The humans are likely charmed. That raven may be the source," she informed the group while casting another spell on herself.

She was unsure of what to make of the situation, as the possible thralls seemed to present a danger but were making no hostile movements. At least there were no signs of explosive runes on the humans. She decided to wait and see whether the party could neutralize the raven. And if someone could, whether that lifted the enchantment on the humans.

Irthosirthir cast mage armor on herself, taking 10 on a sleight of hand check to conceal the spellcasting. 10+9=19.
If she gets the chance, she will make a full-round action to study the raven with arcane sight.

Erik Vale
2014-06-29, 06:23 PM
Abbant spots the Raven.
"If so, this may be a short fight. I suggest you ready up, don't read anything, and be ready to run."
And Abbant begins to raise his hands.

If no one objects/stop me, readied action to attack the Raven is used, hitting him with a Eldritch Spear.

H: [roll0]
C: [roll1]
D: [roll2]
CDB: [roll3]

Sliver
2014-06-30, 04:55 AM
"Gah!" The raven exclaims as the bolt hits it and it falls down. One of the men, holding a spear, looks down and stabs the raven, finishing it off, before looking up and staring at you.

Erik Vale
2014-06-30, 06:17 AM
After a moment, Abbant speaks.
"What's the chances that despite how easy that was, you we're just enchanted by that raven and are now happy to leave us alone instead of wanting to, perhaps, kill us?"

Sliver
2014-06-30, 06:18 AM
Blank stares are the only reply Abbant gets.

Erik Vale
2014-06-30, 07:34 AM
"... Bets on them being enchanted to guard this spot from all that enter, and they killed the raven just because it moved in the area, and we need to wait it out or dispell it?"
Abbant remains in his position, conjuring another inky black lance, holding it again.
"Additional bets as to our ability to kill them while standing just here, and them not trying to attack us."

Launch a Eldritch Spear at one of the people if they come closer in an aggresive manner.

Sønderjye
2014-06-30, 10:28 AM
Domination is powerful magic. If this is the orcs blocking the entrance to the south, this will be more difficult than expected Munin says. However the only one who knows that we are heading south is Lord. He could perhaps have bragged, that is after all the main purpose of sunhunters, and sunguises are indeed powerful mages.. Niel mentally adds.

We can't just kill them, they never asked for this! Niel tries to think of an excuse to avoid a massacre. He gets a sudden realization and orders munin to speak: If your assumption is correct mister Abbant and we kill them, the telepathic link will tell whoever dominated them, that something happened here. However if we manage to get past them without injuring them we might avoid more obstacles for a little while. Depending on their orders this might work.

Niel will summon an earth elemental and order it to earth glide under the hostile group. If they start attacking the ground it has orders to draw the people away and if they don't attack it, it has orders to get their attention before sinking back into the ground and occasionally reveal itself, thus drawing the group away.

Summon Nature's ally II to summon earth elemental. Niel speaks terran

Sliver
2014-06-30, 01:10 PM
The elemental dives underground and swims through, but as it gets closer and to the edge of the spell, the group is yet to react.

Erik Vale
2014-06-30, 05:46 PM
Abbant slowly nods.
"Ok... Well then, moving up."
Abbant begins to move forwards alongside Neil.

Arilus
2014-06-30, 08:14 PM
Irthosirthir was impressed with Neil's resourcefulness. The odds of the plan working did not seem too high, but it was certainly better than any she could think of. She silently follows Neil, readying herself to react if the humans decided to attack.

Sliver
2014-07-01, 09:32 AM
Neil moves towards the blocking men and it seems that they do not react when they see the elemental appearing before them, and they don't even turn around when the elemental pops out behind them.

Lexin
2014-07-01, 09:36 AM
"Well, if they are just blindly following orders, we could create our own illusion to occupy them for a while." says Allain quietly.

"That's all assuming the person who brought them here can't see us by some means and adjust their orders to the situation." she adds after a moment.

"... and it seems they are not simply killing everyone that gets near them. It might be prudent to try to dispel the magic effect that holds them." she says after witnessing the reaction (or lack of thereof) of the enchanted people to the elemental.

Sønderjye
2014-07-01, 09:37 AM
The elemental will try to get their attention in the following order
-make noice.
-pop out very close to them
-touch one of them.

Master believes your point to plausible mister Allain. Can anyone see any onlookers? Is anybody able to detect scrying? Munin says

Munin spot check 1d20+7 to see any onlooker beside the enchanted group
Munin listen check for same 1d20+5
James spot for same 1d20+3
James listen for same 1d20+3

Arilus
2014-07-02, 01:05 AM
The humans ignoring the elemental supported Irthosirthir's hypothesis. It practically confirmed it. These enchanted humans were here to target them specifically. She would share her conclusions with the group, but for now she wanted to find a way to deal with the barrier to their progress.

"Illusions may work, but even in their state they should not be fooled. They are looking right at us, so they would see us creating any mimics. I could attempt to remove the enchantments, but I will not come close to getting all of them. And I checked the surrounding area and saw nothing out of the ordinary besides the obvious."

Irthosirthir did not want to admit it, but the only way to get past the blockade seemed to be to kill them. She did not say this, because she hoped someone could come up another way to deal with them.

Sliver
2014-07-02, 09:29 AM
The elemental fails to get a reaction.

Sønderjye
2014-07-02, 10:51 AM
Avoiding a masacre seems increasingly more difficult Niel is saddened by the thought. As previously stated killing them will alert the puppeteer about our travels. Does anyone have an easy method of disabling them without endangering their lives?

If nobody have any ideas Niel will continue the experiments with how the spells is working by letting his elemental attack someone on the left side of the group and disappearing just below the surface. He readies a spell if the group startes to move towards him.

Earth elemental attack: [roll0] taking -4 for non-lethal
damage [roll1] nonlethal
Niel readies a summon monster III to summon [roll2] Kaorti who each will use color spray (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Color_spray) on as many dominated people as possible. DC 15, 15 feet cone.

Size/Type: Small Elemental (Earth, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 2d8+12 (21 hp)
Initiative: –1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+1 size, –1 Dex, +9 natural),, touch 10, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+0
Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Earth mastery, push, Engulf,
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., earth glide, elemental traits, Damage Reduction, Cold Resistance, Spell resistance
Saves: Fort +8, Ref –1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 8, Con 21, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +2
Feats: Power Attack

Damage Reduction (Ex): A thomil's rocky body grants it DR 10/+1
Cold Resistance (Ex): A thomil has cold resistance 5.
Spell Resistance (Ex): A thomil has SR equal to 7

9 HP
30 ft speed
AC 18, touch 12, ff 16.
+1 Bite 1d6-2
Fort +4, ref +3, will +3
Can use color spray 1/day as a spell-like ability.
Can be found in Fiend Folio pg. 108

Erik Vale
2014-07-02, 04:43 PM
"I can tone to non-lethal, but I've a feeling we can just ride on through them... Maybe with more difficulty with your palanquin though."
Abbant just continues to ride rather than make up for another plan, intending on guiding Rampage past them, half praying he's right.
He will stop if someone asks him to, or they make an aggressive motion.

Lexin
2014-07-02, 04:54 PM
"Or we can use the Illusion and Invisibility combination of spells I mentioned yesterday, to see their reaction. Maybe even lead them away." Allain mentions after a moment. She says it quietly enough so she won't be overheard by the group standing in their way.

Sønderjye
2014-07-03, 03:36 AM
Master approves your idea lady Allin. However won't the noice from the wagon draw attention?

Still same action prepared. Elemental ordered to do the action mentioned before if the group attacks us

Arilus
2014-07-03, 07:27 AM
"That might work. I can replicate our group if you can conceal us," Irthosirthir responded. She prepared to cast the spell synchronized with Allain's own casting.

Irthosirthir readies major image. When she casts it, an illusion of the group will move slowly towards the humans.

Lexin
2014-07-03, 10:57 AM
"The sound isn't that much of a problem. The illusion would create the same amount of sound as our group, so as long as we stay here, it would mask ours. Even if we move, I could just use another spell to suppress all the sound we make." says Allain, waiting for the group to come closer, in the spell range, then her eyes go a little unfocused and she casts the spell.

Cast: Invisibility Sphere so it covers the whole group.

Sliver
2014-07-04, 10:52 AM
As the illusionary group moves out of the path and into the half-circle created by the mob, the group starts swinging at the illusion. From their attacks, it is obvious that they aren't trained in fighting at all, but concentrating on a group illusion that is attacked from many positions proves practically impossible and the mob seems to see through the illusion after a few swings and settles back to their passive states. At no point has their formation revealed an opening, as they seem to opt to stay close to each other while swinging awkwardly.

Sønderjye
2014-07-05, 05:22 AM
I seems they only attack what is moving in front of them and are ordered not to move from their position Munin says before Niel continues the experiment and orders his elemental to attack someone on the left back side of the group.

Rolls can be found in my last post.

Arilus
2014-07-05, 09:16 AM
"Incorrect. They only attacked the raven and the illusion of us. Which means they have been waiting here to target us specifically," Irthosirthir whispered. "Shall we attempt to sneak past whilst we are invisible?"

Sønderjye
2014-07-05, 09:22 AM
If they are waiting here for us why would they attack their friendly raven? Munin whispers back

It is my understanding that the group is blocking the entire path forward, meaning there isn't any way to sneak past them

Sliver
2014-07-06, 11:01 AM
The mob of peasants creates a half-ring around the exit, so you can't simply walk past them invisibly.

Lexin
2014-07-06, 01:16 PM
"Only ideas I have left is to try and dispel the effect binding their minds. Anyone else could cast this spell? If not, I would try by myself, but it might work only on some of them, freeing them and making them targets for those still enslaved..." Allain sounds a bit tired. This simple situation was consuming way too much time and effort.

Sønderjye
2014-07-06, 02:59 PM
Allain interupts Niel's almost finished order. He decides to wait and see if Allains plan could work. However if he can do that he will also be able to dispel my minions..
Master thinks well of your idea, mister Allain. However it is not within our capabilities to assist you in the dispelling. Munin says, while Niel commands the elemental and James out of the way.

Arilus
2014-07-07, 02:05 PM
"Let's see what happens," Irthosirthir says as she began experimentally casting a spell on one of the humans.

Irthosirthir casts dispel.
Dispel check: [roll0]

Sliver
2014-07-07, 02:31 PM
Nothing happens.

Why is she casting a targeted dispel?

Lexin
2014-07-07, 04:23 PM
"Let's see."

Mass dispel
[roll0]

Lexin
2014-07-08, 02:36 AM
"It doesn't seem to work." she says deep in thoughts
"Irthosirthir, I can support your magic power, if you try to dispel the effect once again, trying for one, more potent dispel, but I am slowly realizing we are wasting a lot of resources, while we could just plow through this obstacle." she says 'It's not like we are working in charity...'

I can get you a +4 caster level bonus, so you would dispel with +10 bonus. If you choose to cast the Dispel, just assume I used the bard song to help you.

I am officially an idiot.
-We might be overheard via magic.
-My character can use telepathy.
My solution - speak quietly...

From now on she uses telepathy, unless she needs to tell something to the whole group at once. (from what I remember it isn't possible to broadcast telepathic message to more than one person at once)

Sliver
2014-07-08, 03:26 PM
As Allain casts her spell, two men blink in confusion, look around and then, after dropping their weapons, they run away. The others do not seem to react to that... However, after a few seconds, the two fleeing men stop and look back to the others, hesitant.

Lexin
2014-07-08, 03:30 PM
"Huh, who would have thought, it worked. Somewhat. If they go back to the mind-controlled state, I say we kill them and be done with it." says Allain watching them with interest.

Erik Vale
2014-07-08, 11:48 PM
Abbant calls out to the two men.
"I take it those are friends of yours?!"

Sønderjye
2014-07-09, 02:51 AM
Great done! Now we only need the rest. Munin says happily.
To james he sayssaysyou will be acting Master's Voice before flying over the group and toward the two men while explaining the situation Greetings! You have been mind-controlled and we have managed to release you. Do you know this group or who enchanted you?

Sliver
2014-07-11, 10:58 AM
The men look at Munin, hesitant. "There... There was a cloaked... Woman, yes, I think it was a woman. She led a group of orcs and they killed anyone who tried to resist... Then they gathered everyone who remained alive and she told us to kill anyone who sets foot in the area beyond the pass... Our elder-" He says, pointing at one of the controlled men, "managed to say his plan to us before he completely lost his will... He said that if we were to block the path entirely, we wont be the first to attack since nobody will be able to set foot beyond it. Can you... Can you release the others, wise crow?"

Sønderjye
2014-07-11, 03:16 PM
In the back of the head Munin knows that he should feel offended by the ignorance of the speaker. Crows are savages with no manners and would eat just about anything. However the first word overshadowed the second. Niel was always swelling in his own agony and rarely, if ever, gave a compliment. A nice self-secure feeling spreads and the raven spreads out his feathers trying to appear as big as possible. He consider pointing out that he didn't release anyone but decides against it.
It might be possible.. Munin makes a pause, enjoying the desperate looks the men are sending him.domination is a powerful magic but there is a loophole. Tell me a situation that would be strongly against your village belief such as harming a particular or standing still while your gods symbol is being burned. It has to be something you would never be able to live with yourself if you did.

Niel gives James some sentences that he wants it to say but the only thing that comes out of the pseudo-badgers mouth is badger noices. Niel makes a mental face-to-palm connection remembering that the badger wasn't able to speak. He stares into the air for a few seconds and suddenly stands from the chair. No he's still sitting? Now there is two Niel's on thr wagon. The standing one turns to the group and speaks with a voice that gives you the mental image of cracking stones. I want to hear your oppinion on this theory. The group did not attack my elemental because it never set foot in the area. The raven was attacked because it was falling and thus would have hit the ground eventually. However if we send flyers towards them, would theybe able to carry the group to another place without being targeted?
The standing Niel has the same charactaristics as a combined major image and unseen servant.
Anyone who beats a 1d20+23 sense motive can see that this isn't Niel
Edit: rolled 36. Check ooc for roll.

Erik Vale
2014-07-11, 07:48 PM
Spot vs your Sleight of Hand [to conceal your casting, which you forgot to roll]: [roll0]
Sense Motive: Cant beat.

"They may attack the flyers because they're held. However both your plans hold sound."

Arilus
2014-07-12, 08:00 AM
"Plausible," Irthosirthir responds. "However, in case it fails, I'd personally prefer I not be among the fliers to try. Can you summon minions to attempt the plan?" She was not really trying to avoid harming the dominated humans, but she was certainly interested in a plan that does involve putting herself in harm's way.

Lexin
2014-07-12, 09:00 AM
"If it doesn't work we could still try the dispel." says Allain, waiting to see what happens.

Sønderjye
2014-07-12, 11:49 AM
Let's see standing Niel says before sitting Niel conjures a hippogrif and orders it to fetch a person from the group and not to hurt them.
If they start attacking it Niel will have the the elemental to appear beneath one of them and carry the villager to him

link to hippogrif stats http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Hippogriff
Note that augment summoning increases str and con with 4
Sliver you can make any roll needed. The summon is

Sliver
2014-07-19, 12:13 PM
The hippogriff picks up one of the mob, a younger man, probably before his twenties even, and carries him away from the rest, neither group nor man make a move to resist or attack.

Sønderjye
2014-07-19, 06:19 PM
The hippogrif parks the man at a higher point from which he will have a difficult time getting down from. If none such is close it will park him as far away as possible from the main group, facing away from the sunhunters.
If he doesn't move the hippogrif will proceed with the rest of the group.
If he moves Niel will ask his fellow hunters if anyone can create a wall, a pit or similar to keep the villagers where we want them
did you forget the question Munin asked the freed men?

Sliver
2014-07-20, 02:50 AM
The men look at Munin, confused. "We... We aren't a religious village... I guess any parent would be devastated if their child was killed in front of them, but..." He looks horrified at Munin. "You wouldn't, would you?!"

The man is dropped by the hippogriff at the top of the cliffs, but as soon as he is left there, he tries to climb off, only to slip and fall, getting hit on his way down and getting knocked out, hurt quite badly by the malicious ground.

Erik Vale
2014-07-20, 05:25 AM
"No, there under a compulsion... Obviously one to guard that spot, or possibly anyone entering, given that they struck the bird as it fell to the ground, but not the elemental when it appeared beside them. Stop with the griffon... If you lot can cast more dispells then we should try that, otherwise perhaps we settle here for the night with a double watch, in case they suddenly get a different order or the spell wears off... Assuming none of you are getting frustrated enough to blast through them of course."

Sønderjye
2014-07-20, 07:08 AM
Standing Niel responds If we could store them a place they were unable to get out of it could save us some time. I have some ideas but none of them very elegant

of course not. However making them believe that it happens give them a second chance to ressist the charm. Follow me Munin says before leading the two men within range of the hippogrif. If they allow the hippogrif to pick them up, it will carry them to the hunters. Mister Allain you are a specialist in illusion magic, correct? Can you create an image of the children of group aheas if these two gentlemen assist you? If they believe they are butchering their kids they might be able to break free as Munin explain his plan you can hear how proud he is on his voice.

Totally said Irthosirthir instead of Allain the whole time
Changed it back to Allain to fit the Ir's answer

Erik Vale
2014-07-20, 07:11 AM
"... I'm not sure if I should be shocked and appalled of how proud you are of that... Let's just stick with glad you have an idea."

Arilus
2014-07-20, 07:49 AM
"That just might work, and would certainly be more efficient than attempting to lift the spell on all of them" Irthosirthir replied. "I could create the illusions as well. Besides their appearance, any details on the sound of their voices or scents associated with the children would assist me in making the deception as convincing as possible."

Sliver
2014-07-20, 09:06 AM
The two men are terrified and shaken after being carried by the hippogriff, but they try to give as much detail that they can. Which is not a lot. The two children they manage to describe with any sort of detail are... Their own, and with a few other kids, three to be exact, the description is quite simplistic and general. You think that you can pull something off that might deceive some of the villagers, but you doubt that is enough to fool a parent. How effective that would be remains to be seen.

Sønderjye
2014-07-20, 09:34 AM
Munin is hurt by Abbants sarcasm and looks a less happy.

Irthosirthir do you have a way of creating a container to store villagers?

Niel sighs deeply wondering why he is doing this to himself. Do you have others things that your village would never do? You must have had some principles! Think hard, your friends and family depend on it. Nothing is off limit!

Arilus
2014-07-20, 12:20 PM
"Unfortunately no. My magic mostly alters the mind and perceptions."

Sønderjye
2014-08-11, 10:55 AM
Niel conjures a Dire Badger and orders it to dig a whole for containing villagers. When the hole is deep enough that the villagers won't be able to get out he orders the hippogrif to carry villagers into the pit. The earth elemental helps carry as well.
When there is room for it Niel order James to drive the wagon through.

Dire Badger has a borrow speed and leaves a 5 foot tunnel when it digs. I assume this would mean it could make a hole as well fairly quickly.

Erik Vale
2014-08-11, 06:03 PM
Abbant's eyes narrow for a moment.
"If they can't get out dominated what- Wait... They may not cooperate..."
Abbant turns to the two freed of domination.
"How far away is your home?"

Lexin
2014-08-14, 08:49 AM
Allain tries to finally resolve the situation, casting two of her more benign spells.

2 x Deep Slumber, to cover the whole group.
DC 17

Sliver
2014-08-14, 08:53 AM
With her two spells, all but one of the villagers fall asleep. With him left, the hole doesn't need to be too big before the single man is dragged into it and fails climbing outside. He continues to try though.

The two freed men look at their sleeping fellows in worry. "It's about two hours walk away..." One says. "Can you... Can you help him?" They ask, pointing at the man that fell down from the cliff and hurt himself quite bad.

Sønderjye
2014-08-14, 11:17 AM
Well done mister Allain, a much more graceful solution than what I had in mind The standing Niel says with his dusty voice while looking at the last man being pulled towards the small hole. And it would have been much more graceful if you did it 10 minutes ago he mentally adds.

The elemental gently carries the fallen villager to the group and after a quick glance Niel asks Is anyone capable of evaluating his injuries?

Erik Vale
2014-08-14, 10:20 PM
"I can, but I am no true healer."
Abbant moves to where the villager has been placed, assessing him.

[Taking 10 on heal for 13]

Arilus
2014-08-15, 01:08 AM
"Agreed," Irthosirthir adds. She felt rather foolish that subduing the villagers was such a simple task, and one that she could having easily done herself.

"If you can help him, I'd advise haste. We will not want to be here when they wake up."

Sliver
2014-09-03, 06:48 AM
The villager has been badly hurt by the fall. He has a few broken and dislocated bones. His condition worsens quickly and you conclude he must be suffering from a few internal injuries as well. Without magical healing, it is unlikely that you can keep death at bay long enough to bring him to a more skilled healer.

Erik Vale
2014-09-03, 08:05 PM
After a moment tending to him, Abbant comes to the conclusion he would have instantly should it have been dark.
"This man needs a magical healer... It seems the fall ruptured something, see this bulging, it's starting to change colour... He won't live long without. And my only form of healing requires he be awake to activate it..."

Sønderjye
2014-09-04, 03:38 AM
More resources used. Yet I cannot let him die
Bring him to me standing Niel says, still within the wagon.

The holy symbol dangling on sitting Niel's bare chest glows as he places his hand on the dying man's face. He utters a single word as he draws power from his cause to force the breath of life down the man's throat. Live
The servants (read zombies) takes the now not dying man to his comrades.
It is time for us to leave standing Niel says.

cure light wounds [roll1d8+4[/roll]
The description is how I imagine cure spells work and not Niel trying to be fancy.

Erik Vale
2014-09-06, 09:48 PM
"It is... I'll get someone to come and help you back, but it's the orcs we're hunting who've done this, and I'd rather they not get the chance to do this to others."

Abbant moves back, readying to mount up and ride off.

Sliver
2014-09-07, 04:54 PM
The not-dying man wakes up with a growl and tries to lunge at the group, ignoring his broken bones, but he is easily restrained and dragged into the pit.

The two men nod sullenly. "If you are successful, they should wake up soon enough. The cloaked woman appeared every now and then and clouded our minds, so her charm cannot be permanent." Says the older of the two. "Thank you for everything, and good luck. Be careful."

You head along the road and soon enough you see ruined farmhouses and torched fields. You know there is some distance to go before you reach the border guard, yet little to no information has made it... After a few hours, you see the village ahead. It sits in the middle of flatland and has a small watchtower on it's edge, facing away from you and towards the border. The houses are ordered in a circular formation around what looks like a small fountain, although it is hard to determine exact details from this far. You are far enough and currently have higher ground, so you are unlikely to be spotted until you get closer, if there are any spotters...

Erik Vale
2014-09-08, 05:53 AM
"How often, perhaps we could best wait for her to prevent her from using others... Though loss of her familiar undoubtedly hurt." Abbant smiles a little.

Sliver
2014-09-08, 06:24 AM
The man frowns, trying to remember through the haze of the recent charm. "I think... Yes, she came twice a day..." The other man nods his confirmation.

Erik Vale
2014-09-08, 06:51 AM
"How many times has she cast it today?"

Sønderjye
2014-09-13, 01:26 PM
Waiting for her sound like a wise plan ​Niel adds in.

Sliver
2014-09-13, 01:32 PM
The man thinks for a moment. "She came not long ago... Was gone just before we heard an explosion... But the birds... They seem to keep watch. Every hour one comes and the other leaves. If she speaks to them..."