PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Natural Weapons and Strength/Dex

Dr. Cliché
2014-06-09, 07:15 AM
I could have sworn that there was a rule somewhere saying that a creature fighting with natural weapons can use its dexterity modifier in place of its strength (as if it had the weapon finesse feat), if its dexterity is higher. But, I can't seem to find this rule anywhere.

Does this rule actually exist, or am I thinking of something else (or just going mad)? :smallconfused:

Andezzar
2014-06-09, 07:20 AM
Natural weapons are light weapons and as such benefit from the weapon finesse feat and can still gain extra damage from Power Attack. You would have to have the Feats though.

Necroticplague
2014-06-09, 07:30 AM
Nope, but natural weapons can be used with weapon finesse if you have it.

Of course, if you look at most monster entries, pretty much everything that could benefit from that rule being true gets weapon finesse as a bonus feat.

Psyren
2014-06-09, 09:30 AM
The only thing I can think of is that in Pathfinder, there is a rule that Tiny or smaller creatures automatically use their Dex instead of Str to calculate CMB (as well as their Climb and Swim modifiers.) Normally they would need Weapon Finesse (if the maneuver being attempted uses their weapon, e.g. sunder) or Agile Maneuvers (works for all of them.)

Urpriest
2014-06-09, 11:20 AM
It's a rule of monster design, not a rule per se. Low-HD monsters with higher Dex than Str tend to get Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. It's not a general rule, and it won't apply if you get into that situation via other means.