PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Racial Feats? SRD

Maerok
2007-02-21, 01:00 PM
In the SRD, it says kobolds are entitled to racial feats: "Racial Feats: A kobold character gains feats according to its character class." How does this all work?

And IIRC, kobolds later received diminuitive build or powerful build? Wizards had something about them (comparing them to Poison Dusk Lizardfolk) but I can't find it anymore on their website.

EDIT: Huzzah! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a

I want to make a Kobold Druid/Master of Many Forms, or a Ranger (wildshape UA variant)/Master of Many Forms who uses wildshaping to overcome his physical weakness.

Kobold -> Gargantuan Black Dragon as a move action...
I think that'll flatfoot anyone.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-21, 01:41 PM
In the SRD, it says kobolds are entitled to racial feats: "Racial Feats: A kobold character gains feats according to its character class." How does this all work?

It means that Kobolds do not get any racial bonus feats. Kobolds get feats based on HD.

Matthew
2007-02-21, 01:45 PM
Hit Dice? Can you get Kobolds with more than 1 Hit Die? I thought they had to advance with Class Levels?

[Edit] I think I get what you mean. The 1, 3, 6, 9, etc... thing?

Douglas
2007-02-21, 01:46 PM
Class levels grant, among other things, hit dice.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-21, 01:46 PM
Most class levels also grant a HD;-)

Edit: douglas is fast :'(

Matthew
2007-02-21, 01:49 PM
Heh. I know, but I never thought of getting Feats as a result of Hit Dice in those cases, but rather as a result of gaining levels. Is it Hit Dice? I don't know.

Maerok
2007-02-21, 01:51 PM
I believe dragons get racial feats, as well as many playable monstrous humanoids. Though sometimes these can be chosen while others are more on the bonus feats side of it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-21, 01:57 PM
Heh. I know, but I never thought of getting Feats as a result of Hit Dice in those cases, but rather as a result of gaining levels. Is it Hit Dice? I don't know.

It is more general to say HD.
It applies to class levels and monster HD and even Bonus HD.

However, in the Kobold's case you might as well have said Class levels. :smallsmile:

Fax Celestis
2007-02-21, 02:01 PM
Most creatures (Mindless ones being the exception) gain feats according to HD. Class levels, racial HD, and advancement by type grant HD, and therefore count towards gaining of feats and increased scores. However, LA does not grant HD and therefore does not.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-21, 02:10 PM
Bonus ability points and feats are based on HD rather than class levels because a 3 fighter/3 rogue gets the same 3 feats as a 2 fighter/4 rogue since they both have 6 HD despite feats coming at every level that's a multiple of 3.

Matthew
2007-02-21, 02:14 PM
Nah, that would just be by Character Level. The Monsters with Multiple Hit Dice and Character Levels makes sense of this notation for me.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-21, 02:20 PM
Bonus ability points and feats are based on HD rather than class levels because a 3 fighter/3 rogue gets the same 3 feats as a 2 fighter/4 rogue since they both have 6 HD despite feats coming at every level that's a multiple of 3.

Both are character level 6.
For races that exchange their one racial HD for class levels or races that only advance through class levels, it is just as accurate to say that character level determines the amount of feats and ability increases.

If you on the other hand need to make a general statement you would have to use a lot of words or simply say HD determines "it".

Mewtarthio
2007-02-21, 04:28 PM
I want to make a Kobold Druid/Master of Many Forms, or a Ranger (wildshape UA variant)/Master of Many Forms

*visible twitch*
Kobold... Master of Many Forms...
YEEEAAAAGH!

...Sorry. I'm certain your intentions are perfectly honorable.

Person_Man
2007-02-21, 05:10 PM
I want to make a Kobold Druid/Master of Many Forms, or a Ranger (wildshape UA variant)/Master of Many Forms who uses wildshaping to overcome his physical weakness.

Kobold -> Gargantuan Black Dragon as a move action...
I think that'll flatfoot anyone.

MoMF is a broken prestige class. Unless you're playing alone or in a party of all CoDzilla PC's, playing a MoMF is the same as asking your DM to hit you with a blunt object, like the DMG, or the nearest chair.