PDA

View Full Version : Scry and Snipe spells?

Nettlekid
2014-06-09, 01:25 PM
Looking to make an Unseen Seer capitalizing on scouting and sneaking with largely magical means, and then doing damage from who knows how far away. Ideally, having a level of Rogue and Unseen Seer giving me access to Hunter's Eye gives me a pretty significant Sneak Attack, which I'd like to use on ray spells to really up the damage. (Sneak Attack with different damage types deals that type of damage in the Sneak Attack, right? Like a Ray of Frost deals Cold Sneak Attack damage? Not essential, just kind of neat.)

My plan is to use either spells like Eye of Power, Project Image, or maybe Ring Gates in conjunction with Teleport Object, to launch spells while not actually having to get in range at all. But what I would love is to be able to do similar with Scrying alone. Are there any spells not limited by range, that can affect any area you can see? I guess a lack of need for line of effect is one of the most important things.

Fouredged Sword
2014-06-09, 01:46 PM
Sneak attack deals the same type of damage as the base spell, with some cheese reducing exceptions. (spells that deal negative levels deal negative energy sneak attack damage, not 10d6 more negative levels)

What you want is snipers shot. Sneak attack at unlimited range. Mix with Unseen seer 5 for both spells, and Incantrix for metamagic reduction. Then you get a reach long range touch attack spell and ping someone from a mile off.

Kazudo
2014-06-09, 01:54 PM
Well, you could just scry, teleport in (through whatever means) after a bit of scrying, then shoot the guy and jump back.

Nettlekid
2014-06-09, 02:57 PM
Well, you could just scry, teleport in (through whatever means) after a bit of scrying, then shoot the guy and jump back.

Yes, that's something that you can do. That's how "Scry and Die" works. I'm asking if there's anything more removed than even that.

Sneak attack deals the same type of damage as the base spell, with some cheese reducing exceptions. (spells that deal negative levels deal negative energy sneak attack damage, not 10d6 more negative levels)

What you want is snipers shot. Sneak attack at unlimited range. Mix with Unseen seer 5 for both spells, and Incantrix for metamagic reduction. Then you get a reach long range touch attack spell and ping someone from a mile off.

Already got Sniper's Shot on the list. Melf's Acid Arrow combos with it pretty well. I'm also planning on using Spellwarp Sniper to take advantage of some spells like Ice Breath and Ironthunder Horn (and obviously Wings of Flurry) which have good rider effects but an annoying Reflex save, and Sneak Attacking with those.

What I'm looking for is some spell that...say I have an Arcane Eye or Clairvoyance up, looking through a dungeon while I wait in a town miles away. I see a foe I want to attack. I want to be able to attack that foe. Since I have visual confirmation I could always Teleport in and do it myself, or use Teleport Object to send bombs or something, but I'd prefer to just be able to blast out a spell that appears anywhere I can see and acts to attack the foe.

I want something in-between a Sniper's Shot Melf's Acid Arrow and Love's Pain in terms of safe destruction.

Diarmuid
2014-06-09, 03:44 PM
The problem is getting both Sniper's Shot and Hunter's Eye in the same round as they both use up your Swift for the round.

Nettlekid
2014-06-09, 03:51 PM
The problem is getting both Sniper's Shot and Hunter's Eye in the same round as they both use up your Swift for the round.

Although it would be nice to have them both (and I could devote levels to Persisting them, or even Persist them normally since they're both low-level spells) I don't think it's entirely necessary. Sniper's Shot will deal decent damage from a great distance, and would work best if I'm like on a mountain looking down or on a great big open field, when I'm softening up a foe for allies or to engage later. That doesn't need to be extreme damage. Hunter's Eye is better if I'm looking to nuke something, for which I'd use the shorter-range Wings of Flurry or Melf's Unicorn Arrow (I'm thinking Sorcerer for this, so metamagic can make it a full-round action to make every arrow a Sneak Attack).

VoxRationis
2014-06-09, 08:29 PM
Nightmare means you never have to leave your room to render the rival wizard helpless. You're going to need something else to finish him off, though.

Nettlekid
2014-06-09, 09:07 PM
Nightmare means you never have to leave your room to render the rival wizard helpless. You're going to need something else to finish him off, though.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. The mind-affecting tag and Will save make it less than stellar so I don't think I'd actually use THIS spell, but the whole "I get you wherever you are" thing is perfect. Things that are like "If I know where you are then I can get you" are what I'm trying to find.

DarkSonic1337
2014-06-10, 03:51 AM
Just out of curiosity, how exactly does scry->teleport in actually work?

The scrying spell gets you a view of....10 feet around your target, hardly enough to make it a valid teleport target right?

What particular spells are used in your average "scry and die" combo?

Diarmuid
2014-06-10, 08:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, how exactly does scry->teleport in actually work?

The scrying spell gets you a view of....10 feet around your target, hardly enough to make it a valid teleport target right?

What particular spells are used in your average "scry and die" combo?

Why wouldnt that be enough to teleport to?

This spell instantly transports you to a designated destination, which may be as distant as 100 miles per caster level.

You would likely end up in the "Viewed once" Familiarity catagory with a 76% chance of successfully arriving at your intended destination.

Segev
2014-06-10, 09:05 AM
A rod of Extend Spell could take the various "1 round" duration swift-cast spells and let them stack, at least to the point of having up to two (maybe 3, if you can use your Standard in round 1 for a second swift-cast extended spell) up at a time. If you're going for a snipe, one-hit-wonder build, that's not a waste of action economy the way it normally would be.

If you are not shy about laying groundwork early and being an evil, evil monster, Mother Cyst will let you infect potential victims (and eyes and ears) with a Necrotic Cyst, and then gives you a spell called Necrotic Scrying which lets you scry on ANYBODY who has a Cyst. It's a 2nd level spell. Directly-controlled undead can be manipulated from any distance, I believe (though I think only undead you control via Rebuke/Command or via the clause under Animate that gives you unquestioned obedience works without needing a means of communication); you can have skeletons and zombies assault the person while you watch through the cyst you've inflicted on that person. Telepathic Bond can be used in conjunction with Necrotic Tumor to send mind-controlled catspaws after them, as well.

I believe Arcane Archer has an ability that lets you ignore all cover for one target; combine with a spell or other ability that removes all range restrictions, cast your nastiest damage-dealing spell with bonus sneak attack through your arrow, and at least once per day you can murder anybody you scry out.

Slithery D
2014-06-10, 10:25 AM
The Pathfinder psionics book has a Remote Viewing power that will let you scry and, if you pass a concentration check, manifest a power on someone you can view. This immediately ends your scrying.

DarkSonic1337
2014-06-10, 01:52 PM
Why wouldnt that be enough to teleport to?

You would likely end up in the "Viewed once" Familiarity catagory with a 76% chance of successfully arriving at your intended destination.

How much about a person's location can scrying tell you though? If I see a 10 foot circle of concrete that's enough to teleport to that specific circle of concrete 100 miles away? Is it enough to teleport onto a moving object like a ship?

dextercorvia
2014-06-10, 02:37 PM
Is there any way to give the Fear descriptor to spells? Then we can use the Dread Witch to allow the spell to affect anyone with immunity to fear (which is included with mind-affecting immunity). Sadly Fell Frighten doesn't give the descriptor.

And, for some strange reason, Nightmare is not a [Fear] spell.

What about spamming Fell Drain Flash Frost Snowcasting MessageDetect Good spells through the scrying?

*needed an area effect spell.

Nettlekid
2014-06-10, 06:26 PM
Is there any way to give the Fear descriptor to spells? Then we can use the Dread Witch to allow the spell to affect anyone with immunity to fear (which is included with mind-affecting immunity). Sadly Fell Frighten doesn't give the descriptor.

And, for some strange reason, Nightmare is not a [Fear] spell.

I don't think Dread Witch works that way. It's a bit ambiguous, but as a DM I would say that the Fear part works on immune to fear/mind-affecting/whatever, but that doesn't outright break the immunity to mind-affecting for other aspects of a mind-affecting spell.

What about spamming Fell Drain Flash Frost Snowcasting MessageDetect Good spells through the scrying?
*needed an area effect spell.
...I was about to write that off as just being silly (it too quickly called back the memory of the whole "Use that in conjunction with Hindsight to kill your enemy before they're born" thing, which while technically valid is too cheesy/silly) but you know what? That's exactly it. That's perfect. The Fell Drain, while a nice little cap, isn't really needed. But Spellwarping a Flash Frost Detect Whatever through Scrying...That's a spell that can snipe little Sneak Attacks through Scrying. It's really cheesy, but absolutely valid. That's pretty awesome.

firebrandtoluc
2014-06-10, 08:35 PM
Use the Eye of Power spell.

dextercorvia
2014-06-10, 10:31 PM
...I was about to write that off as just being silly (it too quickly called back the memory of the whole "Use that in conjunction with Hindsight to kill your enemy before they're born" thing, which while technically valid is too cheesy/silly) but you know what? That's exactly it. That's perfect. The Fell Drain, while a nice little cap, isn't really needed. But Spellwarping a Flash Frost Detect Whatever through Scrying...That's a spell that can snipe little Sneak Attacks through Scrying. It's really cheesy, but absolutely valid. That's pretty awesome.

Good call on Spellwarp Sniper. The only reason I tacked on Fell Drain was because I couldn't figure out how to get SA in there. I think it is safe to say your opponent will count as unaware of your attack. At least most of the time.

Wait. Spellwarp requires the spell be of instantaneous duration.

Use the Eye of Power spell.

In the OP.