PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Newbie GM needs advice

PastorofMuppets
2014-06-09, 02:52 PM
So I could use a little advice as this is the first game I have been the GM for. We are playing SW D20 edition and while everyone seems to be enjoying the game so far there is one player that I can't seem to get really hooked in the game.

The game setting is halfway between the clone wars ending and the true beginning of the rebellion. The players are all force sensitives (except the one that is a droid) that were found by the jedi during the end of the clone wars and were to be padawans. Unfortunately order 66 took place, and they were cut off from the jedi knights that intended to train them and a badly damaged ship forced them to use a cryochamber for livestock transport to avoid death by life support failure during a several year flight by normal engines as the hyperdrive was blown. The four of them slept as the droid kept watch and got them noticed by a mining ship that saved em. Now they have the option to learn the force and try to find the other scattered Jedi during the big purge or keep their heads down and just be smugglers/pirates with a grudge against the empire. Either path will put em in a position of power when the big Rebellion starts.

The other players all have some sort of personal storyline going on, A human noble/jedi counselor that will shortly find that his family had helped some jedi escape the purge, were found out and scattered/killed which means he can try to find them again to reunite the family remains or just establish some spying or black market networks through them and their new identities. A Xexto (small four armed guy) soldier that watched the clone armies tear his mercenary unit to shreds and he is one of only 3 survivors from that group and they have gone on to other groups but still have anti empire leanings. A twi'lek that was previously a smuggler before a disagreement with her captain over whether slaves are proper cargo (she said no) that discovered a lost force user temple in need of proper excavation before meeting her jedi recruiter, thus a lead on learning more about the force. Last is SCAR-48 (scarab) an independent droid that was part of the Confederate intelligence community before his handler team was killed in a bad op while he sat and waited at the rendezvous point alone for months before deciding to find his own missions. So much to do that could link to an ex secret agent. Lastly is the previously mentioned character a rodian scout that is much bigger than the rest of his species and feels a need to prove himself tough.

So far he has not really investigated or interacted with many NPCs and while the player says he is having fun i'd really like to have something in the storyline focused on him. Any ideas on how to get a player trying to involve himself in the world more and not just be waiting till his gun is needed? additionally if anyone has a general idea on figuring out level appropriate rewards for players that would be a ton of help too. I want them rewarded but not overpowered.

Pigron
2014-06-12, 09:56 PM
It may be that your player is being overshadowed by the other players in the group. Some players will be content to sit and watch others participate and will continue to sit back until you gently force them to do so.
Also, depending on your resources for telling the story, there may be a cognitive disconnect that leaves the player behind.

If your story is all auditory or 2 dimensional visual, and your player is a kinesthetic learner, it will be hard to get him to participate even with a story specially for him/her.

Get some 3-D props to organise combat, which your player seems to be into (we used to use figurines for AD&D with wipable vinyl grid maps to draw rooms) Each player should have one that represents them and should place it when you are asking where they are when determining combat.

Have a seperate, "ritual" for roleplay. Make players stand up and demonstrate what they are doing by just saying "Stand up and show me," occassionally.
Next, watch for any opportunity where players are having private conversations within earshot of that player and walk them to another room, whether he is involved in the conversation or not. Keep these private talks short so those not involved do not get bored.
Once your player is used to this, introduce a private NPC conversation where you take him outside and inject the story you think will interest him. Then tell him he now has the choice of sharing that information with other players or keeping it to himself.
Also make a habit of passing private notes to players. They can have plot devices in them "you overhear (something)" or roleplay instructions "Scream and pass out," or can just be random, "Smile mischeviously, I am just saying hello."

In terms of story, there are some themes that will get almost any player going:
Introduce a henchman, someone who becomes your players responsibility.
1. Secretly plan for the henchman to be brooding and evil, using the player character for resources and training, only to betray him someday for money.
2. Discover that the henchman is connected to the player character in some way, "Luke, I am your father."

So this character was a Rodian scout? Has he ever had a scouting mission? What about one form his past?
The player has chosen a very uncharismatic race possibly because he does not want to interact.
When NPC's are talking to the group, try engaging your player with, "What's that smell?"
If you want more PC interaction, you may need to introduce other Rodians, perhaps even a Rodian female or a child.
If it were me, I would have him encounter an NPC with a Rodian child on a leash - perhaps even the equivalent of a stellar organ grinder using the Rodian child as a dancing monkey or something equally degrading. Let your PC rescue the child "He looks at you pleadingly," and when he does, make sure the child already knows how to fieldstrip blaster weapons and other useful things.
Next theme: Crashland on a jungle planet where your Rodian will use his native skills to keep the other players alive.

Any of these will be good, but start with changing the medium. If it is easier to sit back and not participate, the player will do exactly that.

PastorofMuppets
2014-06-14, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the pointers in particular the one about adding a NPC to the group to get him more interested. I'm thinking a member of his family clan or maybe an allied one that he'll wanna keep around as a kind of honor witness to his hunts and deeds, to back up any of his claims about his skills. And i already know how he could turn antagonist too, the group is force sensitives and all but one has a jedi level, and being in the Dark Times that's a hefty payday right there as well as great honor bringing down such dangerous targets. should get some good RP out of him there as well since he is the only living character that is not interested in jedi levels, and he'd get a chance to handle that one on one while the NPC tries to talk him into helping bring down the jedi bounties for all that glory.
The note cards idea of secret communicating is a nice addition too, definitely going to use that from now on, but i do already have one of those dry erase grid mats to draw out the areas on so they do have something visual to work with in combat situations.