PDA

View Full Version : Making a plane of the Abyss

atemu1234
2014-06-09, 03:04 PM
I'm working on a plane for a PC to conquer in the Abyss. It's ruled by a CR 20 demon lord and is designed to be a mecca for evil werewolves the multiverse over. Any tips for its creation?

Gildedragon
2014-06-09, 03:48 PM
a sort of dark forest works
non evil-lycanthrope souls are hunted for sport and turned into grizzly forest decorations

Demon lord is part fey

RedMage125
2014-06-09, 05:52 PM
I second the dark forest theme.

The plane should have it's own selection of "moons" in the sky. And there should be enough of them that there's always at least one full at all times.

Infected lycanthropes should have the DC of a Change Shape check to resist transformation increase by +2 for each additional full moon.

The demon lord himself should resemble a demonic version of a lycanthropic hybrid form. If you're going for "all evil lycanthropes" instead of exclusively "evil werewolves", then I suggest this demon lord have bestail features that are not distiinctly canine, feline, porcine or ursine, but rather, have combinations of all of them. So Bipedal, claws, a muzzle filled with fangs, but also large tusks.

Eldan
2014-06-09, 06:03 PM
a sort of dark forest works
non evil-lycanthrope souls are hunted for sport and turned into grizzly forest decorations

Demon lord is part fey

I feel like the non-evil lycanthrope part doesn't really work. Why should they be there?

Maybe make it a dark inversion of the beastlands. Everyone is hunting everybody else.

Perhaps this layer has a unique trait, where if you kill and eat a lycanthrope, you get some of their essence. Non-lycanthropes get some minor boost, maybe DR and a shifter feat, lycanthropes get more animal HD.

Over time, you'd get some massively powerful monsters running around. You find a man, small, sleek, wicked grin, hair matted and caked by blood. You piss him off and he start growing. ANd growing. And turns into a remotely wolf-like thing the size of a house.

It would also be a reason why non-petioners would even go there. Power. Come in as a were-rat of the lowest rank with some buddies, leave as a twenty foot plague monster. If you're fast. And cunning. And lucky. And brought some slaves to distract the largest monsters for a while.

atemu1234
2014-06-09, 06:06 PM
Ok: It's essentially hell for chaotic evil lycanthropes. They're hunted by their demonic kin until they're literally ripped apart when they become part of the plane. Sometimes bits of the plane is turned into new demon-lycanthrope-things, but mostly they're just killed. Then brought back, then killed again.

Gildedragon
2014-06-09, 06:19 PM
I feel like the non-evil lycanthrope part doesn't really work. Why should they be there?

Maybe make it a dark inversion of the beastlands. Everyone is hunting everybody else.

Perhaps this layer has a unique trait, where if you kill and eat a lycanthrope, you get some of their essence. Non-lycanthropes get some minor boost, maybe DR and a shifter feat, lycanthropes get more animal HD.

Over time, you'd get some massively powerful monsters running around. You find a man, small, sleek, wicked grin, hair matted and caked by blood. You piss him off and he start growing. ANd growing. And turns into a remotely wolf-like thing the size of a house.

It would also be a reason why non-petioners would even go there. Power. Come in as a were-rat of the lowest rank with some buddies, leave as a twenty foot plague monster. If you're fast. And cunning. And lucky. And brought some slaves to distract the largest monsters for a while.

Raids into planes, travelers that fell into some planar thinning made by the Lord, slaves bought and brought in for sport, adventurers trapped in there...

----
I would have the curse of lycanthropy be passed if you are a non lycan that manages to survive there (esp. if you kill someone of the Pack). Gaining the Feral template might be something that can happen there (planar touchstone?)

Wendigo fey might be native to this place.

fiendish/animal grafts might be 'gifts' the ruler of this plane bestows

there might be a cure for lycanthropy somewhere in the realm...