PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 'Optimizing' an Oracle to be a healer

Buenaventura
2014-06-09, 05:30 PM
Hi,

a bit for the background: To get fresh ideas where to head with our level 12 chars, we are creating new chars somewhere else on the world. My old char is a monk 12, no archetype. To do something different than a pure fighter, I thought about being the healer this time. Which frees the DM in out small group to do something else than the cleric he took because groups need a healer. Having to prepare spells ahead of time is something I don't like about casting though. So, this leaves me with an Oracle as far as I know.

We use a dice system to determine start attributes, so I have 79 raw 'points' to distribute, for example

STR 11 DEX 13 CON 13 INT 15 WIS 9 CHA 18 (without racials)

I'm inclined to take an Oracle of life, but healing in combat is rather limited, and reading into it I'd have to cross class to be more effective. So I'd be doing not much during combat and try to heal my group afterwards. For the start, life link seems great, but doesn't scale at all.

So far we have core rules and advanced players guide. I should be able to convince my DM if there is neat stuff in Ultimate Magic or Ultimate Combat my char really needs. :smallamused:

My first take would be:

STR 10 DEX 15 CON 13 INT 14 WIS 9 CHA 20 (with halfling racials)

Oracle of Life, haunted, no archetype, channel as first revelation
Nothing decided as for feats yet
Orisons: Detect magic, read magic, create water, resistance. If another char provides detect magic, I'll take stabilize.
Level 1: Summon Monster I, Bless (I do get Cure light wounds in addition to the two level 1 spells I know at first level, right?)

Since it is probably easy to hit me, I'd take a ranged weapon and stay in the second line. I chose the halfling for the bonus to saving throws, which only has the sling as a ranged weapon though.

I'm really open to suggestions here, since I never played a healer in D&D or Pathfinder, and the cleric of the DM is a decent fighter that has to keep the group alive when things go south. I'd try to be more of a healer/caster type without being in the front line. Those armors result in failure chances for casting, and I'd need them to survive standing in enemies reach.

---
EDIT: This is the updated character I posted further below:
---
So, next version:

STR 10 DEX 13 CON 13 INT 15 WIS 10 CHA 20 (now as a human)

Human, Oracle of Life, curse is still haunted - was thinking about tongues, but the extra spells*1 might come handy.

Orisons: Detect magic, read magic, create water, resistance. If another char provides detect magic, I'll take stabilize.
Level 1: Summon Monster I, Bless

With a human oracle, I could take extra spells. Now there aren't that many orisons, so I could get some skill points at the start and later get more 'real' spells. If I missed some obvious necessities in my spell selection, please point them out.

First revelation: Channel

Feats: Selective Channeling, Fey Foundling (if I get my DM to accept that - if not, Extra Channeling to get 10 channelings/day, which should be enough until Quick Channeling becomes available)

About having things to do when nobody needs healing ... well, not really an idea for level 1:
1) My available spells don't permit offensive casts
2) My stats would like me to be not in the first row :smallcool:
3) While armor would give me an acceptable AC, I don't want to deal with the failure chance.

*1: Those ARE extra spells, right? Same with the cure/inflict spells. I'm still unsure whether they are in addition to the two level 1 spells I get at level 1, or if one of my two will be the cure/inflict one.

Jigawatts
2014-06-09, 05:59 PM
Just gonna drop this here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WdtrZCESRmVfljXY196wMrMLTnS8Uzk4DEk3oQdVZok/mobilebasic?hl=en_US

Good luck.

Drelua
2014-06-09, 07:36 PM
A friend of mine plays a Life Oracle in Pathfinder Society, and the character's pretty good at healing, even in combat. She's an Aasimar, using the racial favoured class bonus of +1/2 level for one revelation to get really good at channeling. She's usually lifelinked to the main melee characters and doesn't really do much of anything besides healing in fights, which has been pretty successful so far. Of course, the character hasn't gotten close to level 12 yet, so I'm not sure if it would be less effective at that point. I think she was only about level 7 last time I played a game with her in the party.

Pex
2014-06-09, 08:26 PM
I am playing an Oracle of Life and I do heal in combat and am very good at it. Another player did the calculations. I've effectively doubled the party's hit points, tripled in one particular combat. It makes a difference. Other players can be more aggressive because I got their back.

Feats to take:

Extra Channeling - Channeling Energy is efficient healing of multiple targets in one action. You need as many as you can get.

Selective Channeling - Do not heal the bad guys. Your Charisma will be high. You can remove multiple bad guys from your healing power.

Quick Channeling - Channel Energy as a move action. This still allows you do something else in the round, such as cast a spell or another Channel in an emergency.

Revelations you need:

Channel - Duh

Energy Body - Gives you the elemental subtype, a nice defense. It's also another way to do some healing a move action, allowing you free use of your standard action to do whatever you want. You can heal someone while you move. Someone else can also heal while they move.

Combat Healer - Swift action healing of casting Cure Wounds. Another way to do some healing while doing something else in the round. In the absolute greatest emergency where the party took a pounding, you can do Swift Action Mass Cure Light Wounds, Move Action Quick Channel, Standard Action Channel. This is how I effectively tripled the party's hit points.

Safe Curing - In those emergency situations where you need to heal someone stat, not provoking an AoO to do so is a big deal.

Personally my character does not have Life Link, but many people on these forums like it a lot. The idea is you give party members an effective fast healing 5. You heal yourself as a move action with Energy Body and spend your standard action to do whatever you want.

Spells to have:

If you are permitted, play a human and take the bonus spell per level as your favored class bonus. If not, oh well.

Grace - Swift action to cast. Don't provoke an AoO for moving until end of your turn. This gives you great flexibility to move about the battlefield. As a spontaneous caster you get to cast it when you want or need.

Blessing Of Fervor - In my opinion the best divine buff spell in the game. It's like Haste with more options. Everyone in the party benefits. Everyone will love you for it. As a spontaneous caster, you can cast most every combat.

As for the rest of your spells, choose them. Dispel Magic is always good. Have a few buff spells like Protection From Evil and Bull's Strength. They can be swapped away if they become obsolete. Sanctuary is also nice for personal protection. There are good attack spells to take as well. Healing in combat is effective, but you don't want that to be the only thing you do. Foremost so you aren't bored. Second, buff spells and attack spells are also effective. You heal as a move action, so spend your standard action casting one of those spells. For healing if necessary, yes. For the theme of the character pick up a few remove affliction spells, such as Remove Fear. Freedom Of Movement and Death Ward are also good to have. Try not to take Raise Dead as soon as you get 5th level spells. You have Breath Of Life, which is good enough. However, if campaign circumstances demands it, take it.

Vedhin
2014-06-09, 08:26 PM
Check out Healer's Touch (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Healer%27s%20Touch). Free maximize on anyone but yourself.

grarrrg
2014-06-09, 09:18 PM
I'll just leave this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257365-PF-Oradin-Mini-Guide-Or-How-to-be-a-Healbot-minus-the-bot) here.
Most of you already know what "this" is... NO SPOILERS!

khachaturian
2014-06-09, 10:25 PM
one advantage of life link is that you can be more efficient regarding not having to use move actions/reach spell. and of course there's the build described above. fey foundling and the rescued trait may be worth looking into. i would expect someone to chime in pretty soon with the observation that you don't need a healer in d&d...

Buenaventura
2014-06-10, 01:19 AM
Great responses, thanks a lot!

I had read most of Channeling the cosmos (found the link on stackexchange) and grarrrgs Oradin guide before posting, great resources.

@Pex and @Drelua: Thanks for the hints and reports about an Oracle of Lifes life in the group. Very encouraging.

@Vedhin: That's from the society, right? We are not on Golarion, so that won't work. Nice and rewarding goal for a healer though.

@khachaturian: Judging by the other campaign in the same group, we do need a healer.:smallbiggrin: Fey foundling combines nicely with life link, but I won't be able to get the Rescued feat.

I'll do an update this evening with your suggestions, will be off for work now.

Spore
2014-06-10, 05:17 AM
Remember to always give yourself things to do when no damage is received. You wouldn't want to just stand there while the evil wizard prepares his save or apocalypse spells.

weckar
2014-06-10, 06:17 AM
Just so you know, archery is generally a bad idea for an oracle unless he is built especially for it.

also, know that the cosmos guide has not been updated beyond first release.

Arc_knight25
2014-06-10, 07:55 AM
My g/f in the campaign we are playing in is a half elf oracle. She's not optimized all that well. But she has saved our bacon more times then we can count. Her physical stats are lackluster so she mostly just shoots enemies with Boneshatter or Searling light. If things get to close, she has a Harm waiting for them. We are level 15. She hasn't taken either life link or channel energy.

For her curse she took Tongues, her revelations thus far are:

Enhanced healing, Healing Hands, Safe curing, Spirit boosting and Energy Body.

Her feats are what aren't optimized. She took a lot of the feats that just give bonuses to skills (i.e Alertness, Self sufficient)

Vedhin
2014-06-10, 07:56 AM
@Vedhin: That's from the society, right? We are not on Golarion, so that won't work. Nice and rewarding goal for a healer though.

Nope, but it is from an AP.

weckar
2014-06-10, 07:57 AM
For her curse she took TonguesAside from the obvious joke, isn't this the most inconvenient curse there is? It basically disallows on-the-fly party tactics.

stack
2014-06-10, 08:03 AM
Aside from the obvious joke, isn't this the most inconvenient curse there is? It basically disallows on-the-fly party tactics.

Depends, one person needs the language you pick to relay info, so one sp or the right race and you are good.

Talya
2014-06-10, 08:19 AM
I want to second grarrrg's link to the Oradin... most brilliant healer concept I've ever seen.

It's a life oralce/paladin multiclass. You use life-link to constantly heal party damage (and take that damage yourself), and swift action lay-hands to heal that damage, while still having the rest of your actions available.

weckar
2014-06-10, 08:21 AM
Good point. I had overlooked that. Makes me think that in an aquatic campaign where everyone is an appropriate race (who basically all speak aquatic anyway) the whole curse may be a non-issue.

Vedhin
2014-06-10, 08:44 AM
I want to second grarrrg's link to the Oradin... most brilliant healer concept I've ever seen.

It's a life oralce/paladin multiclass. You use life-link to constantly heal party damage (and take that damage yourself), and swift action lay-hands to heal that damage, while still having the rest of your actions available.

My problem with the Oradin is that 5 damage/round isn't much. It takes only a bare minimum of actions, but damage will quickly dwarf Life Link's healing.

grarrrg
2014-06-10, 09:53 AM
My problem with the Oradin is that 5 damage/round isn't much. It takes only a bare minimum of actions, but damage will quickly dwarf Life Link's healing.

The main idea is that it _is_ minimal actions. Spending your Standard/Fulls to kill people is more efficient than trying to heal people after they get hit. Dead things don't tend to cause much damage after all.
Yeah, if someone takes a massive hit you'll probably have to top them off, but for most fights you'll be fine going on "ignore mode".

Also, the Shield Other spell picks up the slack at higher levels.

Buenaventura
2014-06-10, 12:39 PM
So, next version:

STR 10 DEX 13 CON 13 INT 15 WIS 10 CHA 20 (now as a human)

Human, Oracle of Life, curse is still haunted - was thinking about tongues, but the extra spells*1 might come handy.

Level 1: Summon Monster I, Bless

With a human oracle, I could take extra spells. Now there aren't that many orisons, so I could get some skill points at the start and later get more 'real' spells. If I missed some obvious necessities in my spell selection, please point them out.

First revelation: Channel

Feats: Selective Channeling, Fey Foundling (if I get my DM to accept that - if not, Extra Channeling to get 10 channelings/day, which should be enough until Quick Channeling becomes available)

About having things to do when nobody needs healing ... well, not really an idea for level 1:
1) My available spells don't permit offensive casts
2) My stats would like me to be not in the first row :smallcool:
3) While armor would give me an acceptable AC, I don't want to deal with the failure chance.

*1: Those ARE extra spells, right? Same with the cure/inflict spells. I'm still unsure whether they are in addition to the two level 1 spells I get at level 1, or if one of my two will be the cure/inflict one.

Spore
2014-06-10, 12:52 PM

Yes.

You always get Cure/Inflict (ONE choice) plus your number of spells known plus your number of favored class investments. Level 1-3 is NOT recommended to be invested in that favored class option though.

Buenaventura
2014-06-10, 12:59 PM
Thanks for clarifying that.

weckar
2014-06-10, 01:04 PM
The oracle favored class options are generally quite weak at early levels (Except Tengu, but nobody plays Tengu).
Better to invest in some extra hitpoints early, or skill points if you really need em.

stack
2014-06-10, 01:14 PM
Divine casting has no spell failure for armor.

PsyBomb
2014-06-10, 01:28 PM
The oracle favored class options are generally quite weak at early levels (Except Tengu, but nobody plays Tengu).
Better to invest in some extra hitpoints early, or skill points if you really need em.

Eh, depends on what your goal is. My Aasimar Glaive-Oradin (yes, really) used his favored class bonus to be able to Life Link 3 targets with only two levels of Oracle. If you're in Oracle long-term, though, you're right. Most are really mediocre.

weckar
2014-06-10, 01:38 PM
Generally if you're only in a class for two levels, you won't select it as your favored.

PsyBomb
2014-06-10, 01:40 PM
Generally if you're only in a class for two levels, you won't select it as your favored.

True, my case was really niche for it (the +1 Lifelink Target was critical)

khachaturian
2014-06-10, 02:07 PM
for spontaneous casters, it's hard to pass up half-elf for paragon surge

Spore
2014-06-10, 02:11 PM

I guess it's about casting defensively.

Talya
2014-06-10, 03:06 PM

Skill points/Hit Points are the only things I use for favored class options until i gain access to level 2 spells. Then it's "extra spell known!" all the way.

for spontaneous casters, it's hard to pass up half-elf for paragon surge

Especially for an oracle in conjunction with Eldritch Heritage (Arcane Bloodline) to get the extra spells known on demand on the sorcerer spell list.

Spore
2014-06-10, 03:39 PM
I know it's a waste in the long run but I enjoy the Halfling "advance your curse by 1/2 level" when I stick to it. Especially when combined with haunted. You just get your spells so much lower. Like a 3rd level telekinesis.

e: Oh I see you meant that with the "Tengu option".

Buenaventura
2014-06-10, 05:24 PM

It hasn't? Oh ... well, then I'll need some decent armor and a weapon with a bit reach, I guess. Poking stuff with a spear sounds nice. :smallsmile:

As for the Paragon Surge suggestion: It sounds quite OP. Level 3 spell, so I'd be at least level 6, that's 6 minutes or 36 rounds of +2 DEX and +2 INT and 1 feat. Unsure if the DM would accept that ... yes, it's official, but we don't have the book it's in yet.

Eldritch Heritage ... hmm ... extra spells known is nice, but there are so many bloodlines to chose from.
When I get spells through this or my curse, that are not on the cleric/oracle list, does it still count as divine casting, or do you have the usual spell failure chance then?

Spore
2014-06-10, 05:27 PM
When I get spells through this or my curse, that are not on the cleric/oracle list, does it still count as divine casting, or do you have the usual spell failure chance then?

The spells are divine then.

Talya
2014-06-10, 07:13 PM
And, since you took Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) as a feat, starting at level 11 you can use paragon surge (which grants you any feat you qualify for) to take improved eldritch heritage (arcane bloodline) to take arcane spells as you need them. You don't need to choose them permanently.

(Prior to level 11, you're taking Expanded Arcana with paragon surge to gain different oracle spells you might need on demand.)

Pex
2014-06-10, 07:30 PM
Another feat to consider but not must have, though my character does have it, is Reach Spell. Your healing, remove affliction, and buff spells get a range. If you can't or don't want to move but still need to cast on a party member a distance away, here you go. You have a choice whether to conserve spells or Channels. Divine spells already have decent range attack spells, but a Reach Bestow Curse is nice. High level play is where it can really shine when you cast Reach Breath of Life and later Reach Heal. It's probably not a feat you will use a lot, admittedly I don't, but it adds to your flexibility of options. When I have used Reach Spell I was so glad I could do it because it was exactly what I needed. Get the feats you need and really, really want first. It can wait.

grarrrg
2014-06-10, 08:40 PM

:smallconfused:
+1/2 Level Towards Curse bonuses sounds nice at low levels, but it starts to become worthless once you get to effective level 15 (Oracle 10), and a complete waste at Oracle 15.

I'd much rather hand Spells Known, or +1/2 Level Towards Revelation, both available on a variety of Races. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle#TOC-Favored-Class-Bonuses)