PDA

View Full Version : Building a Critical Feat Fighter (Pathfinder)

5w337x7007h
2014-06-09, 05:38 PM
So I'm building a Fighter around Critical feats. I've already got Iron Will and Power Attack as my first feats, I'm going to branch into Staggering -> Stunning, Tiring -> Exhausting criticals, and Critical Mastery, but I want to know if I will have enough feats to build up Point-Blank, Precise, and Cluster Shot as well. This character will be wielding a Falchion and a Composite Longbow. I'm also planning improved critical for the Falchion and Composite Longbow.
I know I'll have to build up to it, but "Can I do it?" is the major question that's going through my mind. So I inquire the help of veteran players to see if I can allocate this build correctly so I don't end up shooting myself in the foot by going this way.

5w337x7007h
2014-06-10, 09:42 AM
Anyone want to help, me with this? I'm mainly going to use the Falchion, and switch over to the Longbow when range is needed.

Kazudo
2014-06-10, 10:31 AM
Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's a looooooooot of feats. You may want to consider a dip into Feat Rogue to get some more bonus feats, maybe even PsyWar for additional bonus feats on top of that. Both of those dips will reduce your overall BAB, however.

RFLS
2014-06-10, 10:57 AM
I count 12 feats listed. You'll be level 11 by the time you have that many to play with. On the other hand, you have to be level 15 to get Exhausting Critical and 17 for Stunning, so....yeah, you're good. Pile on the feats. You can afford to take a few for your longbow by level 15. I've made you a table below; it's not set in stone by any means, but I've given you all of the feats you've listed as early as possible, and made some suggestions on the side.

Level
Feats

Iron Will, Power Attack

Point Blank Shot

Precise Shot

Furious Focus

Rapid Shot

Clustered Shots

Deadly Aim

Improved Critical (Falchion)

Critical Focus

Improved Critical (Longbow)

Tiring Critcal

Staggering Critical

Exhausting Critical

Stunning Critical

For future reference, you should tag your posts with what system you're playing, at the very least. It would also help if you told us what your race is and what level you're starting at and things like that.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's a looooooooot of feats. You may want to consider a dip into Feat Rogue to get some more bonus feats, maybe even PsyWar for additional bonus feats on top of that. Both of those dips will reduce your overall BAB, however.

Ninety percent sure he's playing PF, although, since he hasn't specified, it could be some weird mashup.

PsyBomb
2014-06-10, 11:48 AM
I was assuming Pathfinder as well, the build works WAY better there. Iron Will is a waste of a slot unless you're hitting Will saves just that often, though, especially if you're starting early (you NEED those slots in order to come online early)

5w337x7007h
2014-06-11, 06:42 AM
I'll do that then.
It's pathfinder and I'm playing a human fighter, in the carrion crown campaign. It's got some twists beyond the original, but that's it.

Spore
2014-06-11, 07:13 AM
I was assuming Pathfinder as well, the build works WAY better there. Iron Will is a waste of a slot unless you're hitting Will saves just that often, though, especially if you're starting early (you NEED those slots in order to come online early)

As a fighter you'd invest in Dex and Con, but you hardly have points for wisdom and your base save just plain out sucks. Have fun with your +11 will save on 20 and be dominated by a random 4th level bard with an appropriate scroll.

That being said I would definetely take a look at the feats Heroic Will, Fast Learner and Defiant Luck as well as inexplicable luck. If you dish out several critical hits in a round you are bound to be the target of save-or-suck spells as well as domination.

Sayt
2014-06-11, 07:41 AM
I think you'd certainly want Critical mastery at 14.

I'd pick up Bracers of Falcon's Aim (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bracers-of-falcon-s-aim), as it's basically a cash version of Improved Crit (Any Bow) with an attack and perception buff built in. If you plan on swtch hitting, I also suggest grabbing quickdraw so you don't have to waste a round swapping weapons if thinks get in your face faster than you expect.

I also suggest you pick up a ghost touch Falchion, as you need Ghost Touch to land crits on incorporeal undead, which Carrion Crown has a fair few of, as well as Mind-buttressing (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicArmorDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Mind%20Buttressing ) (from Magical Marketplace) when you can afford a suit of +3 equivalent armor.

And lastly, if you want to spend a feat on Exotic Weapon Proficiency, (Which isn't, IMHO, as bad as in 3/5: Feats are less valuable.) Fauchards are an 18-20 reach weapon, and the Elven Curve Blade has the same critical stuff as the Falchion, but a d10 damage dice instead, which isn't much more, but it is more. (Also, like me, you might have lost your caltrop/s ^^;)