PDA

View Full Version : Greater than +10 weapon enhancements?

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-09, 06:46 PM
Where can I find the RAW allowing weapons of greater than +10 enhancements?

I wish to settle a discussion with a RP guru friend of mine :)

Sir Chuckles
2014-06-09, 06:48 PM
It becomes an Epic weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/weapons.htm).

atemu1234
2014-06-09, 06:51 PM
Epic Level Handbook lets you go up to 1/3 whatever the creator's level is in enhancement bonuses, so theoretically unlimited. Otherwise, you're on your own.

Rubik
2014-06-09, 06:51 PM
It becomes an Epic weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/weapons.htm).Or stack weapon enhancements on an unarmed strike. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863)

You can do something similar but not as impressive on a ballistic weapon and ammo.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-09, 06:53 PM
Making it possible to weild an epic weapon before epic levels?

Rubik
2014-06-09, 06:54 PM
Making it possible to wield an epic weapon before epic levels?Effectively, yes, though it won't be a +60 weapon. It'll be a +5 weapon with +55 in enhancements.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-09, 06:57 PM
Right on! Thanks!

Rubik
2014-06-09, 06:59 PM
Right on! Thanks!Keep in mind, however, that it isn't actually an epic weapon. It won't overcome DR/Epic or count as epic for other effects.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-09, 07:04 PM
I understand. We were discussing a Mega-Man build I have been toying with. It includes soulbow and kensai, both giving enhancements.

I was waxing wishful that one could further enhance the mind arrow with greater mind blade gauntlet and a magic bow.

Rubik
2014-06-09, 07:11 PM
I understand. We were discussing a Mega-Man build I have been toying with. It includes soulbow and kensai, both giving enhancements.

I was waxing wishful that one could further enhance the mind arrow with greater mind blade gauntlet and a magic bow.It does create an arrow, and it doesn't preclude the use of a bow, so you may be able to do that.

You may be able to find a way to "fire" your unarmed strike from a distance, such as with Ring the Golden Bell. I know my build uses its unarmed strike as a ranged weapon, though it does so by throwing its entire body over a distance. Perhaps if you could instantly regenerate a body part and can detach your own arm when you fire it?

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-09, 07:18 PM
I don't see where unarmed strikes come into play here...

Rubik
2014-06-09, 07:23 PM
I don't see where unarmed strikes come into play here...Mega Man's hand is pulled back into his blaster. You could just fluff it as doing the same thing. You fire your fist as your shot, dealing unarmed strike damage to your target, charged with all the enhancements you've got on it, and your hand regenerates immediately.

Though I don't exactly know how to get THAT effect going.

Gavinfoxx
2014-06-09, 07:32 PM
You should look at this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080416115637/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-456794

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-09, 07:33 PM
I see where you're coming from now.
Maybe a refluffed 'return' enhancement?

Rubik
2014-06-09, 07:36 PM
Maybe a refluffed 'return' enhancement?If you have regeneration that can instantly reattach it, sure. How about the Troll Blooded feat? It takes a full-round action, though.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-09, 07:44 PM
I'm thinking fluff stating that the hand retracts immediately before manifestation of the mind blade/arrow.

Something about shooting fists doesn't quite gel for me.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-09, 08:32 PM
Here's what I tossed together as I went to sleep last night. For the record, I know nothing about Warmind, or anything from ToB.

Mega-Man (gestalt)

Warforged
Soulknife1//Swashbuckler1
Soulknife2//Swashbuckler2
Soulbow1//Swashbuckler3
Soulbow2//Warmind1
Soulbow3//Warmind2
Soulbow4//Kensai1
Soulbow5//Kensai2
Soulbow6//Kensai3
Soulbow7//Kensai4
Soulbow8//Kensai5
Soulbow9//Kensai6
Soulbow10//Kensai7
Soulknife3//Kensai8
Soulknife4//Kensai9
Soulknife5//Kensai10
Soulknife6//Warmind3
Soulknife7//Warmind4
Soulknife8//Warmind5
Soulknife9//Warmind6
Soulknife10//Warmind7

Mind blade/arrow as Signature Weapon

Greater Mind Blade Gauntlet
As yet unspecified bow of Awesomeness +5/+5

Feel free to chip in, giants.

Shalist
2014-06-10, 01:13 AM
Keep in mind, however, that it isn't actually an epic weapon. It won't overcome DR/Epic or count as epic for other effects.A 'bane' weapon's effective enhancement bonus is +2 higher against applicable creatures, thus a +4 or +5 bane weapon (via GMW or whatever) could overcome /epic DR. I suppose, for instance, a +1 magebane / undead bane / dragon bane / elemental bane weapon, GMW'd to +5, would effectively be a +13 sword against dracoliches.

Dunno if that means a monk would have +13 worth of hardness / etc vs. said dracolich...

edit: Can't forget magebane (MIC 38)

RedMage125
2014-06-10, 01:26 AM
A 'bane' weapon's effective enhancement bonus is +2 higher against applicable creatures, thus a +4 or +5 bane weapon (via GMW or whatever) could overcome /epic DR. I suppose, for instance, a +1 undead bane / dragon bane / elemental bane weapon, GMW'd to +5, would effectively be a +11 sword against dracoliches.

Dunno if that means a monk would have +11 worth of hardness / etc vs. said dracolich...

A dracolich is no longer a dragon, and was never an elemental. Only the undead bane would affect it.

A +5 undead bane weapon would be +7 against a dracolich, as would your proposed +5 undead banedragon bane/elemental bane. It would be +7 because a dracolich is undead, and undead ONLY in terms of creature type.

Shalist
2014-06-10, 01:41 AM
A dracolich is no longer a dragon, and was never an elemental. Only the undead bane would affect it.

A +5 undead bane weapon would be +7 against a dracolich, as would your proposed +5 undead banedragon bane/elemental bane. It would be +7 because a dracolich is undead, and undead ONLY in terms of creature type.Well, true dragons have elemental subtypes (red -> fire, copper -> earth, etc.). Also, "if a template changes the base creature’s type, the creature also acquires the augmented subtype unless the template description indicates otherwise," (linky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#templates)) so a red dracolich, for instance, would have the fire and dragon subtypes.

edit: Meh, sidetracking

RedMage125
2014-06-10, 02:51 AM
Well, true dragons have elemental subtypes (red -> fire, copper -> earth, etc.). Also, "if a template changes the base creature’s type, the creature also acquires the augmented subtype unless the template description indicates otherwise," (linky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#templates)) so a red dracolich, for instance, would have the fire and dragon subtypes.

edit: Meh, sidetracking

Doesn't matter, even a living dragon would not count as an "elemental" for purposes of an elemental bane weapon. Elemental is a type, so is Dragon. Bane weapons explicitly focus on TYPES of creatures, with onyl Humanoid and Outsiders being broken down into Subytypes for purposes of the weapon.

Snowbluff
2014-06-10, 08:45 AM
Bows generally impart their enhancements to their ammunition. So if I have a Human Bane +1 Arrow being shot from a minty fresh +2 Icy Burst Longbow, the attack would be Human Bane Icy Burst +4.

Lightlawbliss
2014-06-10, 10:52 AM
Maybe a refluffed 'return' enhancement?

blood wind (SC) might be easier.

Darrin
2014-06-10, 11:41 AM
Where can I find the RAW allowing weapons of greater than +10 enhancements?

Epic Level Handbook page 129:

"There is no limit to an epic magic weapon’s enhancement bonus, to the market price modifier of an epic magic weapon special ability, or to the total of an epic magic weapon’s enhancement bonus and market price modifier."

It may be possible to create a non-epic weapon with a +10 enhancement bonus and then use the Soulbound property (MIC) to increase it up to +12 by investing 2 points of essentia.

Khedrac
2014-06-10, 01:11 PM
Bows generally impart their enhancements to their ammunition. So if I have a Human Bane +1 Arrow being shot from a minty fresh +2 Icy Burst Longbow, the attack would be Human Bane Icy Burst +4.
True - and then wrong. The Enchantment bonuses do not stack so it is +2 Human Bane Icy Burst.

Snowbluff
2014-06-10, 01:52 PM
True - and then wrong. The Enchantment bonuses do not stack so it is +2 Human Bane Icy Burst.

The Human Bane improves the Enhancement by 2.

2+2=4, 1+2 !=4.

EDIT: Also, it WOULD be +6 if it was a +4 Bane, making it penetrate DR/Epic, IIRC.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-06-10, 03:34 PM
So rather than making this an attempt at a perfect recreation of Mega-Man, it may be worth an 'artist's interpretation' build.

Let him keep his hand, the better to grip on his enchanted bow.

I dare say, I'm enjoying this greatly!