PDA

View Full Version : Ghestalt

Two_the_Druid
2007-02-21, 01:56 PM
So, I'm about to run a ghestalt game, but after running one previously, I realized that even after upping the power of certain monsters doesn't make them a challenge to ghestalted characters, however just using higher CR monsters makes the enemies to challenging.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? And if so, any suggestions on how to fix it?

Ramza00
2007-02-21, 02:02 PM
Gestalt

Give the monster class levels, that will fix it. Imagine a 12 headed hydra with 7 lvls of Kensai, and the half dragon template (or winged creature) template applied to them.

Ikkitosen
2007-02-21, 02:07 PM
Add 1 to the CR of your encounters, have more encounters between rests. The main thing gestalt characters gain over regular ones is durability (better saves, hp, more spells, etc.).

its_all_ogre
2007-02-21, 02:10 PM
gestalt monster levels with warrior.
so instead of an ogre they face an ogre/warrior 4. gives full bab if nothing else!

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-21, 02:40 PM
I'd second the making some monsters Gestalt with NPC classes, but that's not a solution for everything.

I've found that the following works pretty well:

{table]Gestalt Levels|CR for Gestalt
1-4|-1
5-10|-2
11-15|-3
16+|-2[/table]

Gestalt is most effective for the players between 5 and 15. Before level 5 or so, they're not much more effective in a fight than a regular character due to the general weakness of low level characters. Past 15 they're starting to get pretty powerful, but their power is starting to get hindered by the fact that they've still only got so many actions per round. It's in that 5-15 corridor that monsters start to find themselves being bashed around by Gestalts with some ludicrous ease.

The CR change doesn't apply to properly played dragons, though. Leave those CRs alone.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-21, 03:50 PM
There's lots of mathematical ways to handle it, but the best is to figure out how your players fight together and create monsters to suit that. Right now, my group of four around level 12 can take down a level 20 boss, though not without severe setbacks. I prepare my encounters accordingly.