PDA

View Full Version : Just... walk away...

White Rook
2007-02-21, 02:12 PM
There are certain comics which, after years of loyal reading, I just had to admit to myself "They're just not funny." PvP Online, for instance. I read that for 3+ years, until I realized it just wasn't funny. Not even amusing. Ctrl Alt Del, as well. What webcomics are you an ex-loyalist now that you've come to your comic senses?

Khantalas
2007-02-21, 02:15 PM
None. I'm a webcomic lover. I love every silly webcomic out there.

averagejoe
2007-02-21, 02:17 PM
Dominic Deegan, oracle for hire. It was funny at first, but then tried doing a whole "characterization" and "developing plot" thing which just wasn't good on any level. In fact, it makes me doubt whether the comic was funny to begin with, but I honestly don't feel like going back and looking.

Plus... well, I enjoyed the really bad puns well enough, but I'm pretty sure that stringing two words with similar sounds together only qualifies as alliteration in the most technical sense. Certainly not good alliteration.

White Rook
2007-02-21, 02:29 PM

Then you've obviously never read GU Comics (www.gucomics.com). It's actually kind of addicting, trying to find how unfunny a single comic can possibly be.

Neek
2007-02-21, 03:02 PM
I had lost 8-bit Theatre a long ago, when I realized I can get the same jokes by watching the Simpsons. Perry-Bible Fellowship, which is an amazing comic-strip, has been pulling its webcomic punches recently. Same goes with Diesel Sweeties... each strip is tagged with a punchline which hopefully garners enough lawl to make it into a T-Shirt.

talsine
2007-02-21, 04:03 PM
ninja'd by Neek. After about strip, oh, 150ish, 8-bit goes down the pooper as it where. Outside of that, WTF Comics, not because its bad, but because it updates erraticaly, and user Friendly, because its so painfuly unfunny as to make me want to cry.

I like Gu Comics,

ElfLad
2007-02-21, 05:05 PM
PvP hasn't quite lost me yet, but it's in the process of losing me. Just nothing worth visiting the site for recently, but I still have hope.

Ctrl+Alt+Del has lost me and lost me hard. It's the Cathy of webcomics.

Dominic Deegan has kinda lost me. I don't like it anymore, and I haven't for a while, but I still read it every day because this (http://cornstalker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2506&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) is the best thread ever. It's campy fun in the vein of Ed Wood movies.

averagejoe
2007-02-21, 06:29 PM
Dominic Deegan has kinda lost me. I don't like it anymore, and I haven't for a while, but I still read it every day because this (http://cornstalker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2506&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) is the best thread ever. It's campy fun in the vein of Ed Wood movies.

Actually, I would admittedly probably still read it if he would just properly archive the thing so that it's convenient to track down where you left off. But I would still be irritated by it.

This is kinda off topic, but what does "campy" mean?

J_Muller
2007-02-21, 07:56 PM

Only if PVP is the For Better or For Worse of webcomics.

Khantalas
2007-02-21, 08:01 PM

See, this is where I can't follow you. We are thinking about the same Cathy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_%28comic_strip%29), right?

Waf
2007-02-21, 08:03 PM

It usually means over the top or hokey. It can also mean homosexual in some context.

I rarely give up on a comic. But I did finally give up on CAD. The game jokes were usually decent to good, but man Ethan just got old.

Khantalas
2007-02-21, 08:04 PM
That Linux guy needed more screen time on CAD. He was the best buffer for the comic.

Elliot Kane
2007-02-21, 08:05 PM
I only tend to stick with web comics I really like to start with, though I have tried a ton and just not followed up on them.

The only one I ever really gave up on was Earthsong. Not because it's not good - it is - but because Lady Yates got so busy reworking her story for the collected edition to be published that she confused the heck out of me by putting up a mixture of old revamps and new stuff until I kinda lost track of what the heck was going on.

ElfLad
2007-02-21, 08:06 PM
Actually, I would admittedly probably still read it if he would just properly archive the thing so that it's convenient to track down where you left off. But I would still be irritated by it.

"Campy" means, "bad, but really fun to make fun of."

Have you and your friends ever rented a movie that turned out to be horrible so you made fun of it and really enjoyed it? Ever seen MST3K? Same basic principle.

Khantalas
2007-02-21, 08:07 PM
Like, um, Troy... and Daredevil.

And, longer um with more suspense, the Hulk.

Ceska
2007-02-22, 01:47 AM
Really lost me haven't many, and I read a lot. First I'd name CAD, simply said, there's no reason to read it anymore. I don't get the jokes about the computer games, I really have no interest in them anymore. Then the characters, somehow they all ended up as one dimensional and lack any progress. I think the Winter-Een-Mas (or so) ended it for me, totally unfunny and pointless.

Second is Dominic Deegan. It lost me with the Storm of Souls, but I stayed and hoped for better times. Well, I got a War in Hell and a Justified Rape instead. Great. Honestly, I liked it once, and that is what makes it so painful. I've read a bit through the thread Elflad posted a link to and one point got me, the moral relativism. But honestly, there is a hell and I'd assume there also is a heaven, the example for an objective moral. And then there's the characters, they haven't shown any progress since the whole story started. Luna is still the same little attention ***** (I don't know if it's necessary, but better replace it with stars) that tries to kill herself everytime people start not to be around to comfort her. Dominic is absolutly the same, but for some strange reason he's a lot stronger now without ever doing something about it. Then we have one of the newer updates where the teachers need spellbooks for a simple spell while not even the most unexperienced ever needed one before. I think DD should have ended with the Storm of Souls and killed of Dominic. But instead we have the DBZ syndrom, nobody really dies and nothing ever ends.

I admit to still check upon the updates once in a while in hope they get better, but they simply don't do. Usually I have four criteria for a webcomic, it needs have 1.) good art, 2.) a good humor 3.) a proper plot 4.) interesting characters. If it has either of them I will read it to a part. Inverloch for example has no overly great plot, isn't funny and the characters aren't really that great, but the art saves a lot. Also, I prefer a simplistic artstyle like OoTS or Legendary over a complicated but bad looking one.

About movies being so bad it gets good to make fun about it, I'll throw in Van Hellsing, I haven't laughed this much in a movie since a long time. Troy was painful, not funny.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-22, 02:50 AM
Hey... I thought Troy was good...

Anywho, I'm on the verge of giving up CAD, it never really was funny, or better than mediocre in any sense. It had it's moments, but they were too few and far apart.

Alex Kidd
2007-02-22, 03:19 AM
How has Megatokyo not been mentioned yet? It almost defines promising comic that trainwrecked. I suppose you have to have been reading webcomics for a long time to have been around for the good days to walk away from though.

Something Positive is the other one I've walked away from.

Reinforcements
2007-02-22, 11:20 AM
How has Megatokyo not been mentioned yet? It almost defines promising comic that trainwrecked. I suppose you have to have been reading webcomics for a long time to have been around for the good days to walk away from though.
Hmm, have to agree. One day a couple years ago I read through the entire Megatokyo archive... but then never read it again.

ElfLad
2007-02-22, 11:43 AM

Something Positive is the other one I've walked away from.

I didn't mention either of them because I couldn't read through either of them in the first place.

Megatokyo just had Piro be all emo and whiny, then he had all these girls coming up to him saying, "OOOOH, Piro-san! Your art is so good!" "Piro-san! I love you!" "Piro-san! I wish to have your low-self-esteem-ridden children! Impregnate me!" "Piro-san! You're so awesome!"

And Piro is a representation of the artist. That's, like, one level above sprite comics where the authors come down from the ceiling declaring their godhood. I got sick of it right away, but I still read for twenty more comics to give it a chance. Unfortunately, the plot moves like a glacier, so that was 17 comics of Piro being sad and Japanese girls going crazy over him compared to 3 strips of Largo doing something moderately amusing. Gave it up right there.

Something Positive has some good jokes, but almost every character seemed to be the same sarcastic jackass in personality. It's like if everybody in Order of the Stick was Eugene Greenhilt. The characters can be funny, but they get old fast.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-02-22, 11:44 AM
I think Megatokyo really lost its way when Largo left...

JKR
2007-02-22, 11:57 AM
I sort of gave up on VGCats. I mean, I still read it when the new one goes up, but I don't expect much nor would I miss it if I stopped altogether. It has its moments, but for the most part they're just stupid sex or vulgar jokes that just aren't funny to me. Oh well, can't please everyone all the time.

I tend to give up on comics that run too long. It seems like sometimes an artist will just keep writing them, but really they should end. Yes, we'd miss them, but I think that's better than running them into the ground and disappointing fans that way. I'm working on a new series called Kingdom Blue, and I'm making certain to have it END at some point. None of this "9 years later, I'm still doing it!" stuff. That kills story-based comics.

averagejoe
2007-02-23, 01:06 AM
"Campy" means, "bad, but really fun to make fun of."

Have you and your friends ever rented a movie that turned out to be horrible so you made fun of it and really enjoyed it? Ever seen MST3K? Same basic principle.

Ah, like Six String Samurai or Evil Dead.

Amotis
2007-02-23, 12:13 PM
Questionable Content. I was like "hey look! It's a drama webcomic that talks about indie music. Awesome." Then I read through all the archives and started checking it weekly. Then I suddenly relized the jokes are forced and most of the time pretty lame. Like he has to make a punchline every comic. Then I relized that the drama stuff was starting to get a bit forced. Then I relized he started to allude to the same indie music over and over. Then I left.

Neek
2007-02-23, 03:05 PM
I have a similar complaint with Questionable Content. Mainly, I haven't heard a music reference in a long time. The plot often meanders and doesn't go anywhere for long stretches of times, but when it does--it's definitely forced. His aim for a punchline isn't as bad Diesel Sweeties, though.

Something Positive has become less of a gross, insult everyone and your mom comic to more of a drama; I enjoy the story, there's no doubt. I enjoy the characters, though--I've never had a complaint about them.

bluish_wolf
2007-02-23, 03:31 PM
Dominic Deegan, oracle for hire. It was funny at first, but then tried doing a whole "characterization" and "developing plot" thing which just wasn't good on any level. In fact, it makes me doubt whether the comic was funny to begin with, but I honestly don't feel like going back and looking.

Plus... well, I enjoyed the really bad puns well enough, but I'm pretty sure that stringing two words with similar sounds together only qualifies as alliteration in the most technical sense. Certainly not good alliteration.

I agree with you. The main reason I continued following that comic was for the strip slaying game on the forum. Unfortunately, the forum went down.

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-23, 03:50 PM
I tend to give up on comics that run too long. It seems like sometimes an artist will just keep writing them, but really they should end. Yes, we'd miss them, but I think that's better than running them into the ground and disappointing fans that way. I'm working on a new series called Kingdom Blue, and I'm making certain to have it END at some point. None of this "9 years later, I'm still doing it!" stuff. That kills story-based comics.
I dunno, Pete Abrams pulls it off really well. But it takes a lot of talent, which is something that most spare-time webcomic writers don't have a lot of, to be honest.

endoperez
2007-02-23, 05:29 PM
There are some comics I don't read because my original reason for reading them vanished. Often this is because there are no endings. Deegan, PvP, perhaps some I've forgotten.

Then there are some I didn't bother trying to keep up with anymore, because there were no updates. Forbez, Bookwyrms, Fallen Angels Used Books, 9th Elsewhere.

There are quite a few comics I still follow. There are very few that had a proper ending. I can only think of one right now, and I never read Queen of Wands during it's original run. Inverloch will have one once it's creator manages that, and that is good. There are some very rarely updated comics that I do keep up with, like Pawn (and Goblins, and lately Inverloch), because they promise a story that will end.

Comics with a proper ending are so very rare. :(

Om
2007-02-23, 05:37 PM
Aside from CAD, self-explanatory, I've only really given up on Goblins. Reading through the archives was a blast but it just moves too slow for my taste. An update consisting solely of goblins kicking the sh*t out of each other just isn't for me. Its one that I keep meaning to go back to though.

PvP I still check daily. Its not quite as funny as it once was but it still stands head and shoulders above pretty much everything else out there.

ElfLad
2007-02-23, 06:20 PM
I agree with you. The main reason I continued following that comic was for the strip slaying game on the forum. Unfortunately, the forum went down.

Yeah. I don't really care for the comic, but I didn't start disliking Mookie until then. Taking down his forum and taking weeks to put it back up (which he hasn't even done yet), when he was literally one PM away from putting it back up, and he didn't even reply to the fans who e-mailed him about it basically demonstrates that he doesn't give a flying boop about his fanbase.

Flabbicus
2007-02-25, 08:38 PM
Not sure if this counts but I kind of lost Red vs. Blue. I started reading during the second season, and absolutely loved it. I showed it to all of my friends, watched the videos all the time after school, and somewhere along the lines it ceased to amuse me. Maybe it was my two friend's new found obsession with it even though they could only see it through the DVD's, or them wearing the Caboose and Church shirt on the same day. Every Friday. They still do it. Its annoying, hence why I don't hang out with them anymore. The girlfriend swap between them might have had something to do with it as well.

Solaris
2007-02-25, 08:53 PM
Heh. Good to see I'm not the only one who once read some of those webcomics, but gave up on them. I thought I was just getting old.
There are a lot of comics that're like the Simpsons (back when I still watched television). They used to be funny (or even entertaining, for the ones that didn't try to be funny), but when I go read them I'm really just looking and hoping that they'll be entertaining again. Such is life, no? We cannot hold to those things we once had.

Schlock Mercenary may not be as funny as it used to be (even though it still is pretty darn good), but there is a lot to be said for Howard Taylor's work ethic. He hasn't missed an update in years. Interestingly, neither have I. The fact that he posts all the time, on time, has been a major factor in keeping me coming back to his site.

averagejoe
2007-02-26, 02:36 AM
Not sure if this counts but I kind of lost Red vs. Blue. I started reading during the second season, and absolutely loved it. I showed it to all of my friends, watched the videos all the time after school, and somewhere along the lines it ceased to amuse me. Maybe it was my two friend's new found obsession with it even though they could only see it through the DVD's, or them wearing the Caboose and Church shirt on the same day. Every Friday. They still do it. Its annoying, hence why I don't hang out with them anymore. The girlfriend swap between them might have had something to do with it as well.

See, I was watching pretty much from the third episode, and I found the second season only intermittantly funny, and the third was just terrible. There were some very funny moments in season two, but I thought what they did with the "O'Malley" cliffhanger was really anticlimactic and bad. Although, the april fool's one was pure comedic genius.

Logic
2007-02-26, 03:32 AM
I started to like CAD, and while there is the occaisional gem, the writer is such an arrogant jerk that it comes out in almost every strip he puts out.
My prime example. (http://www.cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20061227)

Megalomaniac2
2007-02-26, 08:03 PM
I found "It's Walky"/Roomies/Whatever the hell you call them" to be self-indulgent, melodramatic, INSANELY angsty, repetitive, sappy, and horribly plotted. Yet I waded through the entire archives in a weekend for the glory that is Mike Warner. Everytime he crushes someone's soul, I feel tingly inside. And he's appearing in the author's latest comic, "Shortpacked!", which is much, much better.

J_Muller
2007-02-26, 09:18 PM
I started to like CAD, and while there is the occaisional gem, the writer is such an arrogant jerk that it comes out in almost every strip he puts out.
My prime example. (http://www.cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20061227)

...How the hell is that arrogant? It's a freaking joke.

JKR
2007-02-27, 04:48 PM

Sounds like someone is a big Sony fan and was angry.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-27, 05:11 PM

I agree. Even the crappy ones. Even the ones that are by no stretch of the imagination good, even the ones that are universally condemned. I'll read them all regularly because I love the art form, love studying it, and can learn as much from ones done wrong as from ones done perfectly.

J_Muller
2007-02-27, 05:23 PM

...the strip is just a commentary on the physical violence over PS3s. It's taking the fact that people were fighting over PS3s and making a joke out of it. It doesn't even remotely suggest that Buckley is arrogant at all.

potatocubed
2007-02-27, 06:00 PM
I used to read PvP religiously, until I realised that it just wasn't funny any more. Ironically, I think this happened at about the same time Scott Kurtz started winning awards for it.

I also used to be a huge Dilbert fan, but that lost momentum several years ago. Coincidentally, right about the time I started to work in an office and realised that it was all true. It's hard to be satirical when real life is as warped as it is.

The early stuff from both strips is still genius, though.

J_Muller
2007-02-27, 06:37 PM
I used to read PvP religiously, until I realised that it just wasn't funny any more. Ironically, I think this happened at about the same time Scott Kurtz started winning awards for it.

Yeah, PvP has gotten less and less funny as time goes on.

JKR
2007-02-28, 10:53 AM
...the strip is just a commentary on the physical violence over PS3s. It's taking the fact that people were fighting over PS3s and making a joke out of it. It doesn't even remotely suggest that Buckley is arrogant at all.

No I hear you. What I'm saying is sometimes fans of any particular company/system (Sony in this case) take personal offense to comments or comics against said company, which seems to be the case here. It wasn't arrogant, but the person probably was mad that he made a joke against Sony, so just wanted the artist to look bad.

Maybe not, but that's the only explanation I could think of since, as you said, the comic doesn't appear to suggest he's arrogant.

Dariendel
2007-02-28, 11:54 AM
Chugworth Academy I guess. I find it a a bit immature, but I do like the art.

I walked away from Least I Could Do because I found it a bit sexist, but I come back every now and then to read the funnier strips.

Oh and Twisted Kaiju Theater. Immature, Sexist and Culture-bashing.

Om
2007-03-01, 11:46 AM
...the strip is just a commentary on the physical violence over PS3s. It's taking the fact that people were fighting over PS3s and making a joke out of it. It doesn't even remotely suggest that Buckley is arrogant at all.I agree.

What I would say is arrogant however is claiming that Webcomic Appreciation Day is a "crock of sh*t" because your email account is bursting with hundreds of appreciative messages every day.

talsine
2007-03-01, 01:54 PM
I stopped reading Least I Could Do after the second artish change. Changing artists every year is not a way to breathe new life into a strip

I love TKT, or i did until he started doing all the story strips. And if Gamera could win just once, just once...

Black Mage
2007-03-02, 07:14 PM
Dungeon Crawl Inc. has pretty much lost me...It started out good, and when reading through the archives, it was funny...because you were able to just keep going until you reached the new comics...but it only updates twice a month if you're lucky...and just isn't that great anymore...it moves to slow.

averagejoe
2007-03-02, 08:42 PM
Plus he relies too much on the characters screwing like bunnies. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy humor that could be considered obscene, but not to the point where it stretches my belief in the characters. Plus, when used incorrectly, it can be an easy out to thinking up humor.

Logic
2007-03-04, 08:36 AM

Ok, just to clarify, Sony is my least favorite of the console market. The writer even apoligised (of a sort) after writing that comic. He is a total X-box fanboy, and was blaming Sony on the lack of PS3s available, and implying that the violence over them was directly the rusult of the low supply/high demand. I prefer the take that the writer of VG cats took when he explained the 2 new consoles.

Perhaps it is only intuition that makes me believe the writer is arrogant, maybe it is because I believe he modeled the character Ethan after himself (who is undoubtably arrogant) maybe it is the way the characters treat their customers in the stores that they are customer service for. (Yes, everyone that has ever worked customer service has wanted to be rude to a customer that has been acting like a complete idiot or asking brainless questions, but that does not make it right.
Most Recent Example of Bad Customer Service (http://www.cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20070207)
And The Very Next comic (http://www.cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20070209))

Jibar
2007-03-04, 10:34 AM
I stopped reading Least I Could Do after the second artish change. Changing artists every year is not a way to breathe new life into a strip

They went from Trevor, to Chad, to Lar. Lar has now been doing it couple years.
Trevor was...a bad artist. Chad was pretty good, and then Lar is great.
Any art change I feel is justified, but it's not like this happened over a couple months. changing art style is only natural through a comic, web or no. Actually, regular comic books have faster changes of artist.

Reinforcements
2007-03-04, 11:36 AM
Ok, just to clarify, Sony is my least favorite of the console market. The writer even apoligised (of a sort) after writing that comic. He is a total X-box fanboy, and was blaming Sony on the lack of PS3s available, and implying that the violence over them was directly the rusult of the low supply/high demand. I prefer the take that the writer of VG cats took when he explained the 2 new consoles.

Perhaps it is only intuition that makes me believe the writer is arrogant, maybe it is because I believe he modeled the character Ethan after himself (who is undoubtably arrogant) maybe it is the way the characters treat their customers in the stores that they are customer service for. (Yes, everyone that has ever worked customer service has wanted to be rude to a customer that has been acting like a complete idiot or asking brainless questions, but that does not make it right.
Most Recent Example of Bad Customer Service (http://www.cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20070207)
I dunno about hating Sony. Buckley doesn't seem to revel in Sony's endless parade of PR bungles as much as everyone else, and I still think he's probably in the pay of SOE.

I totally agree on the customer service thing, though. I've worked a lot of retail in my time and I hate customers as much as the next guy, but Lucas, Ethan, and Lucas' boss are *****. It doesn't even make sense - even if you're privately owned and thus don't have company policy looming over you, forcing you to be as nice as possible, I don't think it would fly to essentially refuse service to anyone mildly stupid.

averagejoe
2007-03-04, 01:40 PM
I totally agree on the customer service thing, though. I've worked a lot of retail in my time and I hate customers as much as the next guy, but Lucas, Ethan, and Lucas' boss are *****. It doesn't even make sense - even if you're privately owned and thus don't have company policy looming over you, forcing you to be as nice as possible, I don't think it would fly to essentially refuse service to anyone mildly stupid.

Yes, and of course the completely realistic comics are the most fun. I mean, seriously, what's so bad about doing comics about stupid customer service questions? One could see it as almost cathartic on the part of the author. Heck, I've never worked in customer service and I can identify with that sort of thing. No, no one would ever do that in real life (or, at least, without consequences.) That's why it's done in the comic. It's like when I was in grade school and enjoyed that Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) could just run out of school and openly defy his teachers. I never did those things, and would never have, but dreaming about such things can improve your disposition to face them.

Reinforcements
2007-03-04, 01:58 PM
Yes, and of course the completely realistic comics are the most fun. I mean, seriously, what's so bad about doing comics about stupid customer service questions? One could see it as almost cathartic on the part of the author. Heck, I've never worked in customer service and I can identify with that sort of thing. No, no one would ever do that in real life (or, at least, without consequences.) That's why it's done in the comic. It's like when I was in grade school and enjoyed that Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) could just run out of school and openly defy his teachers. I never did those things, and would never have, but dreaming about such things can improve your disposition to face them.
Well, it's annoyingly self-congratulatory, for one thing. Really though, it's just that it's been beaten into the ground long ago (although the same can be said of basically everything CAD does). Customers suck, we get it already.

averagejoe
2007-03-04, 02:17 PM
Well, it's annoyingly self-congratulatory, for one thing. Really though, it's just that it's been beaten into the ground long ago (although the same can be said of basically everything CAD does). Customers suck, we get it already.

Fair enough, I suppose. I don't see the self-congratulatory thing, though. Maybe it's because I just read the comics, and nothing else on that sight, though. And that I haven't been reading it until very recently.

J_Muller
2007-03-04, 03:11 PM

So, wait. He models an idiot after himself and this makes him arrogant?

...that doesn't make any sense.

Sage in the Playground
2007-03-04, 03:44 PM
I read any webcomic I find vaguely readable. But thats just because I'm the guy that brings a book to school everyday, and doesn't stop reading.
I only every abandoned 2 books, ever. "Les Miserables" and "The Stand".
My reason was, "Screw it, this is a book, I should be having FUN. I don't care if the hand of God comes down and kills everyone at the end, I'm done here."

Ironically that was right for The Stand when I looked up the synopsis.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-04, 03:56 PM
I'm a webcomic enthusiast. I'll read a webcomic for months, even years after I've realized that the webcomic I'm reading is actually a bad webcomic (or has become one). Dominic Deegan, CAD, Megatokyo (I know someone's going to yell at me for that- hush, I'm tired of the bland dating game drama), Something Positive (again, hush), Better Days, and Life of Riley when that was around (I feel dirty) to name some of the trashiest stuff I read. Of course, I read something like 40-50 webcomics every single day as it is, so sandwiching a few terrible comics in the middle hardly ruins it for me.

Mr._Blinky
2007-03-18, 06:50 PM
DnDorks has kind of lost me. It just isn't funny anymore, and hasn't been for a while.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-18, 09:36 PM
I have lots of webcomics (nowhere near that of the Viscountess, of course) that I read, so if one of them goes bad, I usually don't care enough to bother deleting it. Still, if something goes on hiatus or starts updating infrequently, I'll drop it if I don't like it.

I also dropped 8-Bit Theatre (before getting my laptop and putting all my comics in a single folder under "Favorites"). I'm not sure if the quality itself went down or if I just outgrew it.

Peter Harris
2007-03-20, 03:58 PM

That makes me feel better about your compliment regarding my comic. ;-) Just kidding.

PvP hasn't quite lost me yet, but it's in the process of losing me. Just nothing worth visiting the site for recently, but I still have hope.

I'm in the same place regarding PvP. It's close, but I'm not there yet.

And that is the best description of CAD I've seen yet.

I'm surprised that noone has mentioned Real Life. Real Life Comics was my first webcomic, and it was also the first one I dropped. I remember reading that when it was black and white. I dropped it, and it's still going strong.

I'd also like to remind those of us here that aren't making webcomics that it's work. It's tough. Even though I can't stand CAD, I still have the utmost respect for Buckley for doing what he does.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-20, 06:05 PM
Yeah, there's no denying that he spends a lot of time working on it. I'm still a total newbie that finds my own art deplorable and only updates three times a week, yet I find myself spending 15+ unrewarded hours working on it every week now. It takes brass manlies to keep at it. Plus I don't know Buckley in person. He might be a great guy.

But while I can respect Buckley's commitment, I still can't seem to enjoy his comic these days.

Scientivore
2007-03-22, 01:04 AM
Well, this is a sad thread. Here are some where I made it through the archives and then stayed current with them for awhile, but then simply stopped being interested, so that I didn't even want Piperka to notify me anymore when they updated:

Adventures of Vindibudd
COMISSIONED
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Dungeons & Dorks
GOD MODE
GU Comics
Joe Loves Crappy Movies
Lowroad75
Multiplex
Penny Arcade
PvP Online
Scandal Sheet!
Theater Hopper
Unshelved
Wasted Minds

The one that I most wish wasn't on that list is Dungeons & Dorks. I really enjoyed it for awhile. By the end of last year, I was just too confused about what was going on to continue reading it.

Mr._Blinky
2007-03-22, 10:51 PM
Well, this is a sad thread. Here are some where I made it through the archives and then stayed current with them for awhile, but then simply stopped being interested, so that I didn't even want Piperka to notify me anymore when they updated:

Adventures of Vindibudd
COMISSIONED
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Dungeons & Dorks
GOD MODE
GU Comics
Joe Loves Crappy Movies
Lowroad75
Multiplex
Penny Arcade
PvP Online
Scandal Sheet!
Theater Hopper
Unshelved
Wasted Minds

The one that I most wish wasn't on that list is Dungeons & Dorks. I really enjoyed it for awhile. By the end of last year, I was just too confused about what was going on to continue reading it.
Ditto on the D&Dorks. I mostly agree with that list, except for two comics. The first is Penny Arcade, which while I think they're past their peak, is still pretty funny. The other is JLCM, which I don't find hilarious, but amusing enough that I check frequently. But on both, my favorite part is the posts associated with each comic. A good deal of my gaming news comes from PA, and a good deal of my movie reviews comes from JLCM, since while I don't always agree with his reviews they are usually closer to my own reactions than most critics I've read.

Scientivore
2007-03-23, 02:39 PM
If I still played games and watched movies then I think that I would still enjoy Penny Arcade and JLCM, but I lost the topical connection.

Edited to add, I don't think that getting back into gaming and movies would help my enjoyment of the other ones much, except maybe Theater Hopper (http://www.theaterhopper.com/). If you watch movies and haven't checked it out yet, you might like it.

Also, I just added +EV to the list for the same reason: I'm not into poker and it relies on the topical connection.

Om
2007-03-23, 04:31 PM
If I still played games and watched movies then I think that I would still enjoy Penny Arcade and JLCM, but I lost the topical connection.That's the beauty of Tycho's posts. Aside from being excellent pieces of prose in their own right they give background on the days gag. I know almost nothing about console gaming and I'm a few years behind the PC market so I make a point to read the post first.

Incidentally anyone who thinks that PA is past its peak has to read today's strip (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/23). Up there with the best.

Amotis
2007-03-23, 05:32 PM
I met them. They are some cool mofos. First webcomic and still reading them. I don't think I'll stop.

Threeshades
2007-03-23, 05:50 PM
There are certain comics which, after years of loyal reading, I just had to admit to myself "They're just not funny." PvP Online, for instance. I read that for 3+ years, until I realized it just wasn't funny. Not even amusing. Ctrl Alt Del, as well. What webcomics are you an ex-loyalist now that you've come to your comic senses?

I once read Bunny, Diesel Sweeties and a few others i already forgot about. and Im very close to removing Hello Cthulhu and VG Cats from my list.

Amotis
2007-03-23, 05:51 PM
Hello Cthulhu actually updates now? Wow. This is something new.

Threeshades
2007-03-23, 06:41 PM
Hello Cthulhu actually updates now? Wow. This is something new.

not really. thats one reason why im probably gonna kick it out.

Scientivore
2007-03-23, 08:31 PM
That's the beauty of Tycho's posts. Aside from being excellent pieces of prose in their own right they give background on the days gag. I know almost nothing about console gaming and I'm a few years behind the PC market so I make a point to read the post first.

Incidentally anyone who thinks that PA is past its peak has to read today's strip (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/23). Up there with the best.

Thank you. You're right, that's good stuff. The Pilgrimage storyline back in January hit at a bad time, when I was specifically looking for comics to cull. It looks like they got back on track immediately after that very short detour was over. My bad! :smallredface:

J_Muller
2007-03-25, 01:03 AM
I used to read MacHall (stopped before it did), Press Start to Play, and Applegeeks, but I dropped those some time ago. PvP is on the wane--it's a different sort of comic now. Not a worse one, just different from how it used to be. It's more focused on relationships and plot now, whereas it used to be pop culture humor and other jokes.

daniellefaye
2007-03-25, 01:58 AM
Way back I read User Friendly but when it became clear I was never going to become a Linux User and the art was never going to get better I kinda just quit reading it.

I also used to read Road Waffles or whatever Eight was working on but that was more of a "man dialup hates this site and he sure is kinda flaky with updating."

Then there are the comics on infinite hiatus like Waiting for Bob and Gossamer Commons.

Hyrael
2007-03-29, 03:39 PM
Yeah, there's no denying that he spends a lot of time working on it. I'm still a total newbie that finds my own art deplorable and only updates three times a week, yet I find myself spending 15+ unrewarded hours working on it every week now. It takes brass manlies to keep at it. Plus I don't know Buckley in person. He might be a great guy.

But while I can respect Buckley's commitment, I still can't seem to enjoy his comic these days.

Meh, it's twenty seconds and one mouse click out of my morning every other day. The continuity-less pure game strips can be pretty funny. the others are lackluster.
This one, though, rather tickled me:
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070326

Kilbia
2007-03-30, 02:31 PM
The first one I really gave up was User Friendly. Once I figured out that a major source of humor was going to start coming from relationship bungles, it lost all appeal to me. (Note: I also hated the movie "Meet the Parents".)

I tend to collect them faster than I drop them, and I tend to hang on to them longer than I should - especially if their only crime is a lack of updates. But I have also officially given up on:

8-Bit Theatre

Alien Loves Predator

Chopping Block (this one makes me sad; the man is brilliantly twisted)

flail (http://www.flail.com/) (linking 'cause I suspect nobody else heard of this one)

Should probably go ahead and give up on:
Polymer City Chronicles (I forgive them going from jokes to story - I usually like that in a comic - but the story isn't updating fast enough to keep my interest)

Punks and Nerds

And there are a few I don't read anymore 'cause they've ended. Narbonic, Queen of Wands, The Parking Lot is Full, and Superstar CarWash. I *REALLY* miss SCW because they didn't keep their archives online.

Assassinfox
2007-03-30, 04:26 PM
I stuck by 8-bit up until a little past the Kraken bit, but it had stopped being funny looooooooooooong before then.

Megatokyo stopped being funny and started getting REALLY emo the moment Largo got kicked out.

Not sure where PvP "died", but I don't read it anymore.

I'm still reading Something Positive, but I'm going to just stop if I ever see that stupid blue thing again. IMO, Kharisma's "new friend" is the moment the comic jumped the shark.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-30, 04:34 PM
ive stopped reading almost every web comic i used to..other then oots and erfworld...and i had like 30

Peter Harris
2007-03-30, 05:36 PM
Yeah, it's interesting to try and decide where a comic "jumped the shark," and where it "started to suck."

Innis Cabal
2007-03-30, 10:25 PM
sadly most of the ones i used to read just started to suck when my job got to be more important and actually fun more then a waste of time and political b.s......now my wife reads all of them plus....and i never see her now

agentx42
2007-04-01, 11:30 AM
I still read PvP, but Kurtz was sliding downhill even before he won the Eisner, and he's been slipping even further since then. Plus, his "up yours" to his critics after winning the award really left me cold.

Anybody read Wapsi Square? Looking for opinions on it, positive, negative or otherwise.

Scientivore
2007-04-01, 12:44 PM
Yes, I read Wapsi Square. I think that it's another one of those that reads better in the archives. It's too hard for me to hold the long, meandering plot in my head from update to update. I get more out of the updates of Wapsi Square, Misfile, Dominic Deegan and now Erfworld if I check the forum threads on them afterward. There are others (such as Emergency Exit/Parallel Dementia) where that would be true if they didn't have shoutboxes. Juathuur is an unfortunate case where I wish people would use the forum because the shoutbox isn't reliable for me -- it usually doesn't display, even if I refresh it or copy/paste its address in a new window -- but fortunately it's quite enjoyable to solo it, too.

J_Muller
2007-04-01, 04:25 PM
I still read PvP, but since Kurtz but he was sliding downhill even before he won the Eisner, and he's been slipping even further since then. Plus, his "up yours" to his critics after winning the award really left me cold.

Yeah. The CRN springs to mind as well.

agentx42
2007-04-01, 05:08 PM
I'm still reading Something Positive, but I'm going to just stop if I ever see that stupid blue thing again. IMO, Kharisma's "new friend" is the moment the comic jumped the shark.

To me S*P is still very readable, but only in small increments. I jumped on board only last year and made the mistake of reading the entire archive in one sitting. A daily dose of snarkiness and bile is a healthy antidote to crap like Garfield, reading them all at once... It's just too much for one man to bear...

EricDerKonig
2007-04-07, 02:06 AM
I'll probably give up CAD soon, for the reasons everyone else mentioned. I've been reading it much less often anyway.
I've quit reading Something positive not long after reading through the whole archive. agentx42 seems to have a point...
VGCats is still enjoyable, but the slow updates means i'm checking it less often.
I continue to read IrregularWebcomic daily, even though the recent strips haven't been as interesting to me. It still has some pretty good moments, though, so I'll keep with it. I'm rather short on webcomics at the moment, since A Miracle of Science and Casey & Andy have both ended, while Afterlife Blues hasn't begun.

Scientivore
2007-04-07, 03:01 AM
There's no need to be deprived as long as there are so many excellent (IMO) webcomics out there. Check out this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38527) if you'd like some suggestions. :smallsmile: