PDA

View Full Version : Armoured Ranger?

Justicar
2014-06-10, 04:55 AM
I am curious. I may be taking part in a Gestalt campaign. Are there any FEATs or whatnot that allow Rangers to wear medium (or heavier) armor without losing their special abilities?

Dunditschia
2014-06-10, 07:18 AM
No feat I know off, but having medium armor made from mithral makes it count as light armor.

Darrin
2014-06-10, 07:55 AM
I am curious. I may be taking part in a Gestalt campaign. Are there any FEATs or whatnot that allow Rangers to wear medium (or heavier) armor without losing their special abilities?

No feats. There are certain special materials that allow an armor to be treated as one weight category lighter: mithral, darkleaf, firebrass, glassteel, sentira, blue ice, dragoncraft... and a couple others I may be forgetting. (Darkleaf MW breastplate is generally the cheapest: 2600 GP).

There's also the Half-Weight property (+3 enhancement, FR Underdark) that makes any heavy armor count as if it were light.

If you have access to Dragon Magazine, there's a fighter ACF in Dragon #355 called "Armored Savant" that allows you to treat an armor as if it were a weight category lighter, but I don't recall the exact wording off the top of my head.

Justicar
2014-06-10, 11:21 AM
No feats. There are certain special materials that allow an armor to be treated as one weight category lighter: mithral, darkleaf, firebrass, glassteel, sentira, blue ice, dragoncraft... and a couple others I may be forgetting. (Darkleaf MW breastplate is generally the cheapest: 2600 GP).

There's also the Half-Weight property (+3 enhancement, FR Underdark) that makes any heavy armor count as if it were light.

If you have access to Dragon Magazine, there's a fighter ACF in Dragon #355 called "Armored Savant" that allows you to treat an armor as if it were a weight category lighter, but I don't recall the exact wording off the top of my head.

I don't know if Armored Savant would work. The wording it "At 1st level, you show an inborn mastery for wearing bulky armors in such a way that they do not hinder you. You ignore the weight of your armor for the purpose of calculating encumbrance and your armor slows you as if it were one category lighter than it is (so medium armor does not slow you and heavy armor slows you as if it were medium armor). In addition, the maximum Dexterity bonus for any armor you wear improves by +1 and the arcane spell failure chance of any armor you wear is half normal. This is a supernatural ability."

So the encumbrance is reduced as well as the spell failure chance and your speed is improved, but it doesn't say your armor is actually reduced. It's like they danced around using those actual saying those specific words. I guess it would be up to the DM.

I will look into those armor types though.

Person_Man
2014-06-10, 11:57 AM
No Feats I know of either.

There might be some alternate class features you can look into depending on the rest of your build choices. What's are you considering for the other side of the gestalt?

Justicar
2014-06-10, 12:06 PM
No Feats I know of either.

There might be some alternate class features you can look into depending on the rest of your build choices. What's are you considering for the other side of the gestalt?

Paladin. Specifically one with Hunter of Fiends. There is a Ranger variant called "Solitary Hunter" that adds your Favored Enemy bonus to the attack rolls against the enemy.