PDA

View Full Version : Good Paladin Spells

ZamielVanWeber
2014-06-10, 05:07 AM
I am playing a paladin for the first time in some time and I find myself bereft of my Spell Compendium. I can use Complete Champion, Complete Divine, Book of Exalted Deeds, and PHB for the moment.

Any suggestions for good spells?

(I traded out my mount for a spirit and have levels in Crusader of Raziel if that helps).

Gwendol
2014-06-10, 06:19 AM
I think you mean "Fist of Raziel" from BoED?

Good paladin spells include:

1: Bless weapon, Warning shout, Silver beard, Divine favor, Rhino's rush
2: Righteous fury, Bulls strength, Eagles splendor (etc)
3: Blessing of Bahamut, Dispel magic, Prayer,
4: Death ward, Mark of Justice, Visage of the deity

Most of those you should have access to.

Arc_knight25
2014-06-10, 07:35 AM
Divine Sacrifice- for every 2 hp dmg you take (max 10) you can add a d6 to your next attack.
Resurgence- great for when party members fail their saving throws
Lesser Restoration- Helps out the healer a bit.

Of course Battle blessing feat is need to get a these spells a swift actions.

weckar
2014-06-10, 07:37 AM
Just for clarification; are you looking for good spells or for Good spells?

Starmage21
2014-06-10, 08:17 AM
And Holy Sword is a monster if you dont already have a holy avenger.

DarkEternal
2014-06-10, 08:45 AM
I like Word of binding.

If the enemy caster has no freedom of movement or teleportation spells ready, he's pretty much done for the encounter. Good on non casters too, though they have a higher chance of escaping(DC 35 escape artist or DC 28 strength check still pretty hard to pass)

Segev
2014-06-10, 08:49 AM
Divine Favor is a decent one if you have enough warning to put it up before combat starts. Luck bonus to hit and damage is always useful, and this can be up to +3 at CL 9.

lytokk
2014-06-10, 09:01 AM
Another +1 for Divine Sacrifice. My Paladin used this spell a lot and it pretty much dominated his prepared slots. Winged Mount was a pretty good spell to keep around on a scroll, but it's a level 4 Pally spell, and by that point odds are your mount will be flying already.

Darrin
2014-06-10, 09:14 AM
1st:

Deafening Clang (Spell Compendium). Swift action, put this in a wand chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) for +1d6 sonic damage for 1 round.

Protective Interposition (Forge of War). Swift action, touch range, swap positions with an ally. Your ally gains +2 AC and you get +2 attack bonus for 1 round.

2nd:

Bladebane (Unapproachable East). Didn't bring the right Bane weapon? Add it a la carte.

Knight's Move (Spell Compendium). Swift action short-range teleport into flanking position.

3rd:

Celestial Aspect (Book of Exalted Deeds). Sancitified, fly like a deva (100' with good maneuverability) for 1 min/CL, but must sacrifice 1d3 Str damage.

4th:

Celestial Fortress (Champions of Valor). Sanctified, same as Leomund's secure shelter, but costs sacrifice of 1d2 Con damage (which you can heal overnight in the shelter).

Irresistable Force (Ghostwalk). Freedom of movement 1 round/CL, plus some other movement-related perks.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-06-10, 09:46 AM
Just for clarification; are you looking for good spells or for Good spells?

Spells that are good choices.

Segev
2014-06-10, 11:02 AM
Playing a Paladin (a PF one, with access to 3.5 feats and spells, too), I have found that you rarely have time to cast the spells you hope to have. Many have durations short enough that, if you mis-predict, your duration wears off pre-fight, and if you don't cast them before the fight, you get only a few up before the fight is even over (especially if you're spending your swift action in the first round on Smiting the biggest, nastiest Evil thing there).

I am attempting, personally, to refocus on finding the hour/level buff spells. The ones I can fire off early in the day and expect to have around thereafter. I strongly suggest looking for those; I don't have my list handy right now to point you to them.

Divine Favor is really good, despite its only 1 minute duration. I wouldn't go overboard with preparing it, but having a copy on hand in case you know a fight is imminent and thus have time to put it up doesn't hurt.

Greater Magic Weapon is also decent, unless your weapon(s) of choice are already at the enhancement bonus you can give it via that spell.

Nibbens
2014-06-10, 11:12 AM
Bestow Grace of The Champion (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/bestowGraceOfTheChampion.html#_bestow-grace-of-the-champion)

The only thing better than one pally, is two. or THREE! ;)

and

Saddle Surge (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/saddleSurge.html#_saddle-surge-)

Heaven forbid you decide to take that charge feat that allows you to make your full round attacks when charging.

Angelalex242
2014-06-10, 12:03 PM
Bless Weapon and Divine Sacrifice are my spells of choice. I use improved crit the feat to get the most out of bless weapon.

I like to have 'single stroke battles' as a Paladin, where my Paladin is doing 70, 80 damage or more on a single blow because he's stacking 2 handed power attack with smite evil and divine sacrifice and holy and lawful damage and so on. (Bonus dice don't double, but the power attack damage does, so does smite, and so does the +5 enchantment bonus and your strength)

ZamielVanWeber
2014-06-10, 12:09 PM
I am either Swoard and Boarding it with a Scimitar for flavor or will just grab a keen falchion (auto confirming is sweet). I do have Battle.Blessing for helping out those pesky cast times.

And, again, no mount.

Segev
2014-06-10, 02:36 PM
I also have battle blessing; it helps a lot...but I still find myself without the actions to cast the spells. Always something more pressing to be doing. So longer-term buffs are my recommendation.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-06-10, 03:03 PM
I am curious as to what you are doing with all those awift actions.

T.G. Oskar
2014-06-10, 06:40 PM
I put my chips on Glory of the Martyr (BoED). If you intend to be a tank, do it with style and take damage for everybody no matter where you are. It also lasts for hours per level, so you need to prepare it only once. And, if you were to die, you can heal everyone in area (a bit, though, but it's still something).

Favor of the Martyr (SpC) is always a must-have later on, as it grants a lot of immunities, including daze. Draconic Might (SpC) grants a +4 bonus to all three of your key scores (Strength, Constitution and Charisma), plus immunities related to dragons, which is a great benefit (specifically the immunity to paralysis).

Seed of Life (CC) is a decent ability, and the only way for a Paladin to get (or give) fast healing (and it counts as the Vigor spell, even though it's a 4th level spell). Because of this, it can be easily scrolled up by 14th level (or wanded!).

andromax
2014-06-11, 12:11 AM
Restoration, Lesser is a level 1 paladin spell and pretty much a must have for any paladin build. Keep in mind the 3 round casting time though.

Segev
2014-06-11, 12:19 AM
I am curious as to what you are doing with all those awift actions.

You only get one per round, and the first is usually used on Smite Evil. If your fights last longer than mine, you may find that buffing throughout the combat and getting stronger as you go is a viable option. I don't know; I haven't had them last all that long. (We have a big party, and so fights take a long time per round IRL, but tend to be over relatively quickly IC.)