PDA

View Full Version : Weapon sizing and morphing

Meat Shield
2007-02-21, 03:17 PM
I know the magical enhancement Sizing (CAdv?) that can be added to a weapon, allowing a size small longsword to become a size medium longsword.

Is there any enhancement that would take, for example, a great sword and allow the user to make it a longsword, short sword, or dagger as they wished?

Alternatively, if there is no published enhancement of that nature, would one that did allow those sort of changes be equivalent to a +2 enhancement cost? I would limit the changes so that the weapon would have to stay within its own weapon type - slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning.

Piccamo
2007-02-21, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing that as only a +1 enchant. Its certainly not that powerful and any feats you have applying to one wouldn't apply to the other.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-21, 03:21 PM
I agree.

(This message is now long enough to be posted)

Thomas
2007-02-21, 03:41 PM
It sounds familiar. Underdark had some changeable weapon special abilities - metalline changes the weapon's material (adamantine, cold iron, steel, etc. - if you use CWar's metals, this becomes a pretty powerful ability), and there were one or two others.

Seffbasilisk
2007-02-21, 03:43 PM
Underdark. Weapon enchantment: Morphing. +1 cost.

Hyfigh
2007-02-21, 03:49 PM
I actually made a warforged fighter who took VoP because of those abilities. Through Kensai, his hands had sizing and morphing and he could turn them into any weapon he desired.

Morphing is a +2 enhancement.

SpiderBrigade
2007-02-21, 03:50 PM
It's not at all what you're looking for, but there is the Morphing (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/magweapdesc.pl?Morphing%5Emagicweapons) enhancement, at +1. I wouldn't say that changing this to your idea would warrant an increase in the enhancment cost.

Edit: wow, double-simued. Hyfigh, why you say it has +2 cost? I do not see that.

NullAshton
2007-02-21, 03:51 PM
I actually made a warforged fighter who took VoP because of those abilities. Through Kensai, his hands had sizing and morphing and he could turn them into any weapon he desired.

...that is COOL. Being able to turn your hands into whatever weapon you desire...

Almost as good as having dancing fists.

Hyfigh
2007-02-21, 04:03 PM
Edit: wow, double-simued. Hyfigh, why you say it has +2 cost? I do not see that.

Something on that warforged was +2... I could very well be wrong as I am AFB.

...that is COOL. Being able to turn your hands into whatever weapon you desire...

Almost as good as having dancing fists.

I thought it was neat... :) Here's a link to the build:
http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=11220438&postcount=1 (http://my Warforged Juggernaut)

You could get dancing if you sac'd something to get more Kensai. I prefer the build as is though because of all the immunities.

Meat Shield
2007-02-21, 04:13 PM
I don't have Underdark, but found it on the crystalkeep magic weapon index. Morphing is indeed what I need. Thanks everyone!

Holy crap! Its the T-1000!

Hyfigh
2007-02-21, 04:16 PM
Holy crap! Its the T-1000!

Close. I was thinking of trying to find a way to squeeze in some way for him to use polymorph. Being able to turn into animated objects is freakin hilarious.

Person_Man
2007-02-21, 04:25 PM
In one of my splat books they have a long spear that can become a normal sized spear or vice versa as a move action - I think its a +1. Very useful if you need to switch between having a reach weapon and a ranged weapon, or just have your back up against the wall and can't take a 5 foot step but want to attack an enemy standing next to you with your magic spear. I'd be fine with a similar greatsword/longsword/dagger conversion for +1, though if your planning to throw a magic weapon I'd suggest that you also enchant it with Teleporting as well.

Ramza00
2007-02-21, 05:52 PM
A warforged (which is in MM3 and Eberrron), kensai (any book) who takes sizing, metaline, and morphing will be able to change his arms, legs, and other natural attacks into any weapon he choices. Add in sure striking (Tome of Magic) and they penetrate all damage reduction except dr/- and dr/epic.

I believe we have created Apocalpyse from Marvel. (Well to be completely true to Apocalpyse you have to be in eberron and port the Underdark weapon enchantments. Make the character X 5/Kensai 10/Warforged Juggernaught 5//Artificer 20)

There was also a weapon enchantment that helps the build in Tome of Battle if I recall.

NullAshton
2007-02-21, 06:05 PM
A warforged (which is in MM3 and Eberrron), kensai (any book) who takes sizing, metaline, and morphing will be able to change his arms, legs, and other natural attacks into any weapon he choices. Add in sure striking (Tome of Magic) and they penetrate all damage reduction except dr/- and dr/epic.

I believe we have created Apocalpyse from Marvel. (Well to be completely true to Apocalpyse you have to be in eberron and port the Underdark weapon enchantments. Make the character X 5/Kensai 10/Warforged Juggernaught 5//Artificer 20)

There was also a weapon enchantment that helps the build in Tome of Battle if I recall.

No... you've made a TRANSFORMER. :O

Hyfigh
2007-02-21, 06:33 PM
It doesn't quite work that way. The Kensais signature weapon, when applied to natural weapons or unarmed strikes, does have to specify which natural weapon or unarmed strike you will be enhancing. In my example I used fists. You could attempt to con your DM into allowing armor spikes but I would still personally rule that it's only the spikes that change.

NullAshton
2007-02-21, 07:34 PM
You can apply them to unarmed attacks. Unarmed attacks are basically anything you could think of, such as kicks, headbutts, the shoulder...

Ramza00
2007-02-21, 09:32 PM
You can apply them to unarmed attacks. Unarmed attacks are basically anything you could think of, such as kicks, headbutts, the shoulder...
Bingo.

------------------------------------------------------
The TOB weapon enchantment I was thinking of was Aptitude Weapon allows Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Specialization, and similar feats to apply for any weapon that has the enchantment. If the weapon matches the feats in name (both do longsword for example) then you also get +1 Bonus to Attack Rolls and Damage that stack with GMW.