PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to run Savage Tide? (No hardbook)

bendking
2014-06-10, 07:22 AM
Here's the deal, I really want to run Savage Tide to my PC's (They're all level 2), but - there isn't a hardbook for it.
My question is, how am I supposed to run it? With a PDF? Just print all the pages? or should I somehow aquire a laptop to run it?
Also, if there isn't a good way to run Savage Tide, can you guys sugget me other long (and fun) campaigns to run?
Thanks ahead.

HammeredWharf
2014-06-10, 07:26 AM
Using a laptop is generally good for DMing, in my opinion. You can find info much faster, especially with net access and the d20 SRD. So, I'd put it on a laptop, but you could print it, too.

bendking
2014-06-10, 07:27 AM
Using a laptop is generally good for DMing, in my opinion. You can find info much faster, especially with net access and the d20 SRD. So, I'd put it on a laptop, but you could print it, too.

Printing would be rather problematic, seeing as it is a bit too expensive for my liking.

Zombimode
2014-06-10, 07:36 AM
Printing would be rather problematic, seeing as it is a bit too expensive for my liking.

Hm, how many pages are we talking about? From a quick guesstimate I would say about 300.

Printing at university costs about 5 Euro Cent per page, at least here in Germany. That would be 300*0,05 = 15,00 €

15 Euros for a year? 1,5 years? worth of gameplay seems like as steal to me, actually.

bendking
2014-06-10, 07:42 AM
Hm, how many pages are we talking about? From a quick guesstimate I would say about 300.

Printing at university costs about 5 Euro Cent per page, at least here in Germany. That would be 300*0,05 = 15,00 €

15 Euros for a year? 1,5 years? worth of gameplay seems like as steal to me, actually.

I guess you're right, it's definitely worth it.
If I can't get a laptop from one of the PC's, then I'll just print it.
If you'd have to choose though, and let's say the printing were free, would you go for a laptop or print it all?
Thanks.

weckar
2014-06-10, 07:52 AM
Just remember that 300 pages can't be stapled. You'd have to bind it, or have loose pages everywhere. Binding isn't cheap.

HammeredWharf
2014-06-10, 08:17 AM
If you'd have to choose though, and let's say the printing were free, would you go for a laptop or print it all?

Definitely a laptop. Managing 300 printed pages can be quite annoying.

bendking
2014-06-10, 08:22 AM
Definitely a laptop. Managing 300 printed pages can be quite annoying.

Well, my friend has a laptop, so...
Laptop it is! :D
Thanks for the advice.

weckar
2014-06-10, 08:23 AM
I personally find having a laptop on the table is quite cumbersome and not much of a gain if there is no internet connection. It also creates a very unnatural barrier between the players and the DM, I think, especially with larger laptop screens. If you can afford it (or own one already) a tablet may be a fair compromise.

dysprosium
2014-06-10, 08:38 AM
If you prefer to have something physical in your hands, then you should be able to find the back issues of Dungeon Magazine that the Adventure Path first appeared in. Not to mention the Dragon Magazine articles that accompanied each Dungeon Magazine adventure. Paizo should have back issues available on their site.

Chaosvii7
2014-06-10, 10:42 AM
Paizo should have back issues available on their site.

http://paizo.com/dungeon/products/issues/savageTide

Got curious, looked it up. 8 issues at $8 a piece with one at $4.95, plus a measly $1 investment for the player's guide puts it at $69.95 for the entire set. The only downside is that free shipping doesn't kick in until $100 purchases.

sakuuya
2014-06-10, 10:51 AM
Just remember that 300 pages can't be stapled. You'd have to bind it, or have loose pages everywhere. Binding isn't cheap.

This isn't necessarily true. The OP could three-hole punch it and stick it in a binder--or divide it between several binders for portability. Either way, it would probably cost less than $10, assuming he has access to a three-hole puncher.