PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Was That Tarquin I Just Saw?

Darth Paul
2014-06-10, 09:40 AM
Forgive me if this is covered in another thread, BUT-

While reading On The Origin Of PCs, I could have sworn that Tarquin showed up as an adventurer applicant during Roy's Horrible Job Interview Montage (along with Buffy and Elric). Then, in Start Of Darkness, it looked like he was one of the adventurers in the bar where Eugene Greenhilt and Right-Eye were meeting. Obviously, it would have been a younger Tarquin at that point.

Did other people get this impression? Do we have a definitive answer from The Giant on whether Tarquin appeared in the prequels? Was it actually Tarquin, or does he just have a helmet of a suspiciously common style so that a lot of people might be mistaken for him? If he showed up in Origin, was he shadowing Elan that long ago? (Which would be creepily logical...)

Any guesses?

Lord Raziere
2014-06-10, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty sure the helmet is just a common style. I checked the Start of Darkness helmet, it had no horns, I don't have Origins, but checking early main story, Tarquin's helm had horns.

that and Tarquin left with Nale to go conquer about the same time Elan was still young, and didn't know about Elan until the recent arc, I highly doubt that he had been shadowing him- there is little reason for a fighter, even a high level one as Tarquin, to spy on his son himself when he has a rogue to do that for him, as well as and probably entire spy network besides and do it better than he ever could. that and how would he even find him? Tarquin didn't seem to particularly care about the location of his son before he showed up and seemed kind of resigned to being overthrown by some random farmboy he never saw before.

so no, I think your just mistaking guys having similar helmets as Tarquin as being Tarquin himself....

Jay R
2014-06-10, 12:00 PM
The guy in OtOotPCs has no horns, uses a sword not an axe, and has differently colored shoulder armor. He might be the guy in Start of Darkness, but he's not Tarquin.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-06-10, 02:12 PM
I think that Tarquin's helmet is a common style, so the guy in OOPC just has a similar looking helmet. After all, why would Tarquin be there?

137beth
2014-06-10, 03:01 PM
To paraphrase Rich Burlew,
sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes two characters have the same helmet just because they have the same helmet. How many different helmet styles do ya think fit in a stick-figure comic anyways:smalltongue:?

Darth Paul
2014-06-10, 10:30 PM
On balance I think you're right about the appearance in Origin, I just reread the first meeting between Tarquin and Elan and it does seem like he genuinely doesn't know anything about Elan's current situation. (Then again, this is Tarquin we're talking about, he does lie from time to time.)

I still like to think that he had an appearance in Start Of Darkness, though. Tarquin's helmet horns are different types during different flashbacks, so he may have had one with no horns at all at one time or another. There's no evidence for it, and it matters nothing at all one way or another to the larger story, but it will remain my own private belief that Tarquin was enjoying a cold one in the Adventurer Bar that day...

Thanks for the replies!

Reddish Mage
2014-06-11, 09:46 PM
I'm pretty sure the helmet is just a common style. I checked the Start of Darkness helmet, it had no horns, I don't have Origins, but checking early main story, Tarquin's helm had horns.

that and Tarquin left with Nale to go conquer about the same time Elan was still young, and didn't know about Elan until the recent arc, I highly doubt that he had been shadowing him- there is little reason for a fighter, even a high level one as Tarquin, to spy on his son himself when he has a rogue to do that for him, as well as and probably entire spy network besides and do it better than he ever could. that and how would he even find him? Tarquin didn't seem to particularly care about the location of his son before he showed up and seemed kind of resigned to being overthrown by some random farmboy he never saw before.

so no, I think your just mistaking guys having similar helmets as Tarquin as being Tarquin himself....

Your post misses the most important point! How did you get that Yang stick figure!?

Lord Raziere
2014-06-14, 07:06 PM
Your post misses the most important point! How did you get that Yang stick figure!?

I made it. I don't see how this relates to the topic at hand. though.