PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A new Frontier!

jordan.k93
2014-06-10, 11:22 AM
(3.5)

So I kinda steered the party to leaving the Kingdom/Continent that the last like 25 sessions has taken place in, just for convenience and the campaign could kinda have used a setting change, and they've taken to liking venture forth with a Frontier colony sort of thing.

Any cool plots, encounters or ideas that you guys think could suit venturing forth into a brave new world?

So far I'm thinking that it's a frontier colony but there are settlements within reach currently unbeknownst to the party

Inevitability
2014-06-10, 11:31 AM
The obvious thing is native races, diseases, rampant monsters, food shortage...

But you can also make the players come across an abandoned town. As soon as they enter, describe them feeling an 'unpleasant tug in the back of their minds'. When they try to leave later on, they instead end up in another part of the village. Then assault them with ghosts, undead, monstrous beasts...

Give it whatever plot-critical meaning you think it needs.

Trasilor
2014-06-10, 12:06 PM
(3.5)

So I kinda steered the party to leaving the Kingdom/Continent that the last like 25 sessions has taken place in, just for convenience and the campaign could kinda have used a setting change, and they've taken to liking venture forth with a Frontier colony sort of thing.

Any cool plots, encounters or ideas that you guys think could suit venturing forth into a brave new world?

So far I'm thinking that it's a frontier colony but there are settlements within reach currently unbeknownst to the party

To answer your question, need to know why they left their original home.

By choice?
By force?
To explore?
To colonize/conquer?
To find something/someone?
Accident?

Each has their own way of playing out with lots of different options. A couple of ideas I had while typing this:

PCs were hired to help establish a colony by a powerful trading guild run by an unscrupulous business person. The land is rich in unobtanium which they (the guild) hopes to create a monopoly in the 'Old world'. The land is currently inhabited, so the PCs were told that the natives were horrible evil people that needed to be eradicated.

Or...

PCs need to find the Legendary Book of Legendary Legends (LBLL) which is said to be found in ancient city beyond the known world (i.e. frontier land). The ancient civilization is not only there, it is not ancient. People are still walking the streets just like they did thousands of years ago...because it is thousands of years ago... The LBLL transports any who enter the gates to thousands of years into the past. Why it's doing this and how the PCs will return home are a mystery.

Or..

PCs are there to help persecuted people settle in their new home. Unfortunately, the 'New World' is a giant island that is currently inhabited by...zombies! Zombie apocolypse ensues.

Hope these help :smallamused:

weckar
2014-06-10, 01:14 PM
Well, they might just sail into the Mists :smallamused: