PDA

View Full Version : City economy, please help

Bellberith
2014-06-10, 03:51 PM
Where can i find out about City/region economy and how much gold a certain city or a government has at it's disposal annually?

XionUnborn01
2014-06-10, 04:43 PM
Page 137 of the DMG goes into detail about wealth and available goods in a city.

Additionally, page 88 of the DMG2 has more detail about building a city.

Did you have any more specific questions?

Bellberith
2014-06-10, 08:16 PM
Page 137 of the DMG goes into detail about wealth and available goods in a city.

Additionally, page 88 of the DMG2 has more detail about building a city.

Did you have any more specific questions?

yes, what is the actualy annual income of cities? is there a way to find that out?

like say america was a continent in D&D and we spent X amount of gold per year on military, resources, imports, ect....

and made a certain amount based on exports and stuff. Do forgotten realms/eberron have anything like that? Or is there a guideline to find that out?

Turelim
2014-06-10, 08:52 PM
That's very specific economic information about a city, D&D doesn't contain a lot of information about cities and their expenses, because D&D refers to a fantasy world and normal thing like economy doesn't reflect a very high impact in the end of the game.
So far i know this sourcebooks where you can locate information about cities and their economies:
* Dungeon Master's Guide
* Dungeon Master's Guide II
* Cityscape
* Manual of the Planes (Contains information about some cities)
* The Shackled City Adventure Path (If i remember correctly it contains a lot of information about Cauldron and their economy)
* Pathfinder Settlement Rules (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/mastery/settlements.html) (Based on D&D Rules for Cities)

I recommend use the "Purchase Limit" of example cities, as a annual income for the city. And depending of the type of Goverment, and the time where the adventure is located, you can define a percentage of that income for all the thing the city have.

If you want something more specific you can read Adventurer Conqueror King System (ACKS).

VoxRationis
2014-06-11, 12:48 AM
You could use a city generator, like the one below, to generate the NPCs and extrapolate tax income from their incomes as listed by the DMG.

http://www.mathemagician.net/town.html