PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PFS "God" Arcanist Build Advice

Toshiro
2014-06-10, 04:57 PM
(Edit: Arcanist is in the Advanced Classes Guide Playtest for those who don't know.)

Half-elf Arcanist
Replaced Multitalented for Arcane Training
Traits: Pragmatic Activator & Reactionary (Alt: Magical Lineage)
Familiar: Dodo (+4 Initiative)

Ability Scores:
STR. 7, DEX. 14, CON. 14, INT 17 (19), Wis 8, Cha 13
(Note: Before crucifying me for not having a 20 in Int, the Arcanist's Exploits are all based on Char so I put a 13 in it. To give me a positive modifier and qualify for Eldritch Heritage.)

Build
HD1: Improved Initiative
Helf: Skill Focus (Knowledge Arcana)
Arc1: Bloodline (Looking into)
HD3: Eldritch Heritage (Arcana)
Arc3: School Understanding (Teleportation)
HD5: Spell Focus (Conjuration)
Arc5: Dimensional Slide
HD7: Improved Familiar
Arc7: Potent Magic
HD9: Augment Summoning
Arc9: Consume Magic Items
HD11: Superior Summoning
Arc11: Metamagic Knowledge or Metamixing
GArc: Greater Metamagic Knowledge

Other Feats I'm thinking of, but don't know where to put them: Augmented Summoning, Superior Summoning.

Notable Spells
1st - Shield, Grease, Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent Image, Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat
2nd - Protection from Evil, Resist Energy, Fog Cloud, Glitterdust, Summon Monster II, Summon Swarm, Web, Frigid Touch, Blur, Haunting Mist, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Levitate
3rd - Ablative Sphere, Dispel Magic, Magic Circle against Evil, Resist Energy, Communal; Aqueous Orb, Ice Spears, Mad Monkeys, Rain of Frogs, Sleet Storm, Summon Monster III, Heroism, Hold Person, Sphere of Invisibility, Fly, Haste
4th - Dimensional Anchor, Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser; Black Tentacles, Dimension Door (etc. Hopefully getting the point.)

The core of this build is the "god wizard," battlefield control, buffing, debuffing, summoning, but with the Arcanist, blasting is also an option along with the utility of the "god wizard." I really wanted to make an Arcanist who focuses on Use Magic Device (Wands mainly) so that's why I took the Pragmatic Activator trait (use Int instead of Cha for UMD). Mainly made this character for Sky Citadel finale (Got the Sky Citadel Boon from Conline) for Season 5 of PFS so Knowledge is my main focus on skills. What I need help with feat selection, equipment for later levels, and other ideas for this build. Thanks in advanced!

Chris Robin R2
2014-06-10, 05:13 PM
How are you taking Improved Familiar? You don't get one in the first place, so where'd that Dodo come from?

Toshiro
2014-06-10, 05:28 PM
How are you taking Improved Familiar? You don't get one in the first place, so where'd that Dodo come from?

Derp, forgot Arcanists don't get Arcane Bond, that means I need to switch my Bloodline to Arcane from Draconic to get Arcane Bond. Thanks for pointing that out.

Chris Robin R2
2014-06-10, 05:33 PM
Double derp, because that STILL doesn't work. Bloodline Development specifically states you can't do that, and you get Hand of the Apprentice from the Universalist school instead.

Toshiro
2014-06-10, 06:12 PM
Double derp, because that STILL doesn't work. Bloodline Development specifically states you can't do that, and you get Hand of the Apprentice from the Universalist school instead.

This is where I proceed to cry. ;~; Just read that part in the PDF and Obtain Familiar isn't a thing anymore. I was just trying to stack Initiative to go first, oh well, time to get Anticipate Peril as a feat since PFS is so predictable when you're going to get into a fight. Now I don't need nor can get improved familiar, got a few more slots open for feats.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-06-10, 07:27 PM
Is Eldritch Heritage (Arcane bloodline) feat not an option like it is for most? The feat allows you to have a 2nd bloodline...

Raven777
2014-06-10, 08:09 PM
Is Eldritch Heritage (Arcane bloodline) feat not an option like it is for most? The feat allows you to have a 2nd bloodline...

This. Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/eldritch-heritage) will let you pick a familiar. The only annoyance is Skill Focus (Any Knowledge) as a prerequisite, but since you're already a Half-Elf, that should take care of itself.

Toshiro
2014-06-10, 08:50 PM

Actually that's a coincidence you mention Eldritch Heritage. I couldn't use that feat since I didn't have Ultimate Magic because of the PFS rules, (Where you have to own a PDF or a physical copy of the book before you can use material out of that book.) but I just got the book yesterday so thanks for bringing the feat up, definitely going to use it over Spell Focus at third level. Now I get my Dodo bird and later, a UMD slave with Improved Familiar. ^-^ Now need to lower my Wis to 8 and raise Cha to 13 to qualify for the feat.

Raven777
2014-06-10, 10:12 PM
What Familiar are we talking about? Faerie Dragon, I presume? Or something else?

Erik Vale
2014-06-10, 10:30 PM
Actually that's a coincidence you mention Eldritch Heritage. I couldn't use that feat since I didn't have Ultimate Magic because of the PFS rules, (Where you have to own a PDF or a physical copy of the book before you can use material out of that book.) but I just got the book yesterday so thanks for bringing the feat up, definitely going to use it over Spell Focus at third level. Now I get my Dodo bird and later, a UMD slave with Improved Familiar. ^-^ Now need to lower my Wis to 8 and raise Cha to 13 to qualify for the feat.

Do note, you can get that skill focus in any knowledge skill for arcane herritage [it's 'class skill' is any, not set at arcana because sorcerers already get that]... Dump it into nature and also get Eldritch Heritage Sylvan [Fey Variant] to pick up a animal companion/mount.

Crafting's banned in PFS isn't it? If not I'd suggest craft wand since you plan on using a lot of those.

Toshiro
2014-06-10, 10:38 PM
What Familiar are we talking about? Faerie Dragon, I presume? Or something else?

Either Faerie Dragon, Imp, or Azata, Lyrakien, because they all have their uses with Use Magic Device and they can all fly. They also have their merits, probably going to drop the Imp though since you have to be Lawful Evil to acquire him. Going to miss that at-will invisibility.

Do note, you can get that skill focus in any knowledge skill for arcane herritage [it's 'class skill' is any, not set at arcana because sorcerers already get that]... Dump it into nature and also get Eldritch Heritage Sylvan [Fey Variant] to pick up a animal companion/mount.

Crafting's banned in PFS isn't it? If not I'd suggest craft wand since you plan on using a lot of those.

I prefer Familiars over Animal Companions on this build because usually they don't have the ability to Use Magic Device unless I missed one.

Crafting is banned, but it's very easy to acquire Wands through Prestige Points and scenario sheets give you the opportunity to get slightly used wands.

Erik Vale
2014-06-10, 10:45 PM
If you can swing it, Tidepool dragon while having low flight speed [30], is also a amphipious 60ft swimmer with level 4 sorcerer casting and Freedom of Movement 3/Day. Good for those few moments it may be worth looking underwater, and harder than the others to catch. Alignment is 1 step within CN, leaving you TN and CG.

Toshiro
2014-06-10, 11:05 PM
If you can swing it, Tidepool dragon while having low flight speed [30], is also a amphipious 60ft swimmer with level 4 sorcerer casting and Freedom of Movement 3/Day. Good for those few moments it may be worth looking underwater, and harder than the others to catch. Alignment is 1 step within CN, leaving you TN and CG.

What book is the Tidepool Dragon in? Might not have it, but I just love the water element though.

Erik Vale
2014-06-10, 11:16 PM
*Checks bottom of SRD*
Pathfinder Adventure Path #55: The Wormwood Mutiny

andreww
2014-06-11, 05:15 AM
Eldritch Heritage on its own probably isnt worth going with 13 Charisma. None of the exploits which are based on Charisma that we know of are actually worth taking. They are predominantly the utterly terrible blast powers.

For exploits I would strongly consider grabbing the spoiled one which allows you to swap out a prepred spell for another with a full round action.

Raven777
2014-06-11, 10:41 AM
I prefer Familiars over Animal Companions on this build because usually they don't have the ability to Use Magic Device unless I missed one.

Wouldn't taking Skill Focus (Knowledge: Nature) lets you pick both Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) and Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan)? I think that is the point Erik Vale was making.

Yanisa
2014-06-11, 10:52 AM
Wouldn't taking Skill Focus (Knowledge: Nature) lets you pick both Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) and Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan)? I think that is the point Erik Vale was making.

Although the idea is cool, you cannot take the same feat twice. Besides that Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan) is dubious (it's an archetype and it also replaces the blood arcana, which is not a part of Eldritch Heritage) and most likely not PFS legal.

Animal Ally (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/animal-ally) is the better option compared to Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan), in terms of PFS legality, and even then I believe PFS only allows one companion at all so no Familiar and Animal Companion, but I am not sure. (It also adds an extra feats to the build, so its a pretty meh option in this case.)

Toshiro
2014-06-11, 01:22 PM
Eldritch Heritage on its own probably isnt worth going with 13 Charisma. None of the exploits which are based on Charisma that we know of are actually worth taking. They are predominantly the utterly terrible blast powers.

For exploits I would strongly consider grabbing the spoiled one which allows you to swap out a prepred spell for another with a full round action.

Bloodline Powers and School Understanding are replaced with Charisma instead of Intelligence. For me, 13 Charisma is going to allow me extra uses for those abilities and give me the ability to obtain an familiar. Later, getting an familiar who can abuse UMD since that skill is huge in PFS.

No, because you have to replace the later for it. Looking for charismatic familiars who can UMD and other useful SLA. Don't need combat prowess from animal companions unless I clearly missed one who can fit my needs.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-09-18, 07:13 AM
This is where I proceed to cry. ;~; Just read that part in the PDF and Obtain Familiar isn't a thing anymore. I was just trying to stack Initiative to go first, oh well, time to get Anticipate Peril as a feat since PFS is so predictable when you're going to get into a fight. Now I don't need nor can get improved familiar, got a few more slots open for feats.

But you can have a familiar with the 1st level exploit. You can go with the Bloodline development exploit to have an arcane bond with an item, as well. It only works for first level spells unless you spend a point from your reservoir, then it works with your level. You could have both at 1st level if your human (bonus feat for extra exploit), or by using your first level feat. Of course, if your human, you can have the extra exploit, your greensting scorpion familiar, and improved initiative, for a +12 to initiative at first level.

andreww
2014-09-18, 07:40 AM
Bloodline Development is now pretty poor as an exploit choice, it only gives you the 1st level power, you never gain any more powers and you do not gain the arcana.

School Understanding is great but you really dont need any charisma for it. I would be dubious about taking Teleportation as a school. Shift is an incredibly strong power but you are getting Dimensional Slide anyway. It is unclear if Dimensional Slide allows you to escape Grapples, check with your GM. In PFS this is curently a table variation issue. I would consider swopping to Divination for the ability to act in the surprise round and +1 initiative.

Eldritch Heritage is expensive and isnt getting you very much. You could just take the Familiar exploit if that is what you want. Your charisma doesnt need to be any more than 10, if you go Divination frankly it can be 7.

If you want to summon then consider the Occultist Archetype. You give up some exploits but can use standard action summons by spending points. PFS sessions are often littered with scrolls and potions that no-one cares about which you can burn for extra points.

I would strongly consider picking up Potent Magic or Augment/Superior Summoning earlier on depending on whther you prefer to control or summon. Tying to use Improved Familiar in PFS will require you to own Animal Archive to get much out of it.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-09-30, 02:23 PM
It is unclear if Dimensional Slide allows you to escape Grapples, check with your GM. In PFS this is curently a table variation issue.

How is this a question? It clearly says it counts as 5 feet of movement, so unless the grapple allows you to move, then you can't escape the grapple with it.

arkangel111
2014-09-30, 04:06 PM
Don't grab familiar through arcane bloodline its a trap! you'd have to spend 1 reservoir point every time you want it to count as a level higher than 1. Not sure how that would interact with improved familiar but to be safe just grab the exploit "familiar". Remember though that the Arcanist's best class ability is using the reservoir to fuel your spells and abilities. Grab Potent magic at level 1, its a must have. Also check out my guide I made when looking into exploits myself. CHA doesn't have to be high but I suggest at least a 14 to fuel your Potent magic a few more times in those early levels.

andreww
2014-10-02, 05:50 AM
Don't grab familiar through arcane bloodline its a trap! you'd have to spend 1 reservoir point every time you want it to count as a level higher than 1. Not sure how that would interact with improved familiar but to be safe just grab the exploit "familiar". Remember though that the Arcanist's best class ability is using the reservoir to fuel your spells and abilities. Grab Potent magic at level 1, its a must have. Also check out my guide I made when looking into exploits myself. CHA doesn't have to be high but I suggest at least a 14 to fuel your Potent magic a few more times in those early levels.

Charisma has no impact on your arcane pool and does nothing at all for Potent Magic.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-10-28, 07:10 PM
Charisma has no impact on your arcane pool and does nothing at all for Potent Magic.

Yeah, not only does it have nothing to do with Potent Magic or your arcane reservoir, but it seems to have little use in much of anything important to the class. But, that is my opinion. Of course, my Arcanist has a nice high Cha (16, if I recall correctly), but that is more to do with his skills.

arkangel111
2014-10-28, 08:51 PM
My bad. I was thinking that the arcanist pool used cha not arcanist level. Cha 14 is still recommended because there is some decent options with bloodlines and school understanding which use a separate pool based on Cha.

School understanding for Divination can let you grab foresight for (p)reroll 3+cha times a day. Rerolls are awesome in PFS and since its actually done first you can choose whether or not you use it.

Grabbing admixture from evocation is great for blasters, though blasting is subpar.