PDA

View Full Version : Knight flavor for campaign

The J Pizzel
2007-02-21, 05:42 PM
So one my players died the other night (and he took it surprisingly well) and has been contemplating what to play next. This will only be his second character. He's still a bit of a newbie, but he's catching on pretty quick. He was playing a Duskblade and was regrettably having to tank. Here's the deal. He loves tanking and loves taking care of the other players. I think this stems from him being a combat medic in Iraq. So he takes home all the Completes and PHB (1 and 2) and searches for a new class. He says he wants to try a knight. I made sure he understood all the mechanics and (surprisingly) he understood everything. Especially the "Code of Conduct" and the whole "doens't get the flanking". To which I'm noticing that he seems to be a very honorable fighter. I mention the Paladin and Cleric to him. We agree the Cleric is still a little too complicated and he finds the Paladin to boring. So, a Knight it is.

Here's where I need some help. He asks me if there is anyway to keep his "persona" just find some way sorta "replace him with this new guy". So here's what I've come up with.

As a Duskblade, Mardock let a very honorable and courageous life. Even up to his death. He died at the hands of two Giants. Knowing he would not survive this battle, he willingly provoked the Giants into a frenzy so that all they could do was attack him. He died so that his friends may live on...an honest trade.

While ascending to the realm of the courageous he was stopped by an avatar of the Saint. The avatar offered Mardock a renewed life, as long as he spent it protecting the Saints priest, Sirius. Mardock agreed. All at once the great light appeared. Even has Mardock was forced to his knees, he felt his spirit soaring. He heard a voice appear, it was old but powerful. Its tone carried wisdom. As the light faded he saw an elderly man, dressed in red robes, which flowed weightlessly around gold adorned armor. As the man walked to him, the still kneeling Mardock couldn't take his eyes from. The man touched him each shoulder and said something he couldn't understand. And then...the light faded.

He's going to come to in a cave with his friends. Sirius (the cleric) will be praying over him. He will be dressed full plate and have a sword and shield. In his left and right arms will be a series of sentences he can't decipher.

The tatoos will be what St. Cuthbert said to him before sending him back. I'll come up with something nice later. Ya'll think this sound OK?

LoopyZebra
2007-02-21, 05:59 PM
I like it, flavor wise. Heck, you could make a whole plot out of those sentences, or make them key to the current plot. (Yes, I usually state the obvious.)

Everyman
2007-02-21, 06:08 PM
I don't see why this would be bad in the slightest. You're keeping your player happy, but not really providing any real mechanical advantage. He has essentially been reincarnated.

Now for some quick notes...
1) Does the new character recall his past life? I'm not referring to specific details, but perhaps a sense of destiny, purpose, and closeness with the party.

2) If so, I would try to give a cinematic clue to the characters, alerting them to the presence to their old comrade. If not, perhaps an interpretive dream could be given to the priest...

3) The words: Decide what they are. I know you said that you're going to work on that, but that is the very definition of plot hook there. Nothing like a divine message or proclamation by a god to give a campaign a little boost.

Overall, good idea and good DM-ing.

EvilElitest
2007-02-21, 11:43 PM
The only flaw i can see is that if the other players feel lesser because he gets such a nice reincarnation. If you group is very mature, the i would not worry about it.
And does he keep the memories? If he does, it might not be as fun to roleplay as him slowly having them come back. BUt you choice, it seems nice to me.
From,
EE

Matthew
2007-02-22, 01:56 PM
So, is there no penalty for having died? I kind of need more information before I can decide whether I think this is a good idea or not. It seems reasonable, but I am a little confused. Is this new Character the same Character that just died, but with a different Base Class?

The J Pizzel
2007-02-22, 02:03 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. He said he'd happily understand a penalty for dying. Since, ya know, coming back from the dead doens't come cheap. He actually made a new character, he's just keeping the same name and all that. He'll still remember everything. He's pretty much the conscience of the old Mardock in the body of the new Mardock. So, yes he has new stats and all that. He also said he didn't mind losing the level. Since he was such a good sport about it, I put him about half-way between levels 7 and 8. The rest of the party is level 8. So he'll never be that far behind the rest of the party. Make a little more sense now?

pizzle